The Prodigal Son: A Manchester United Story

Chapter 18:
22nd​ May, 2010
Wembley Stadium, London.

Here I was. Wembley. The whole season had led to this moment. I just stood there, in awe of the glory of the national stadium, where every manager dreamed to be at least once in their career. To lead their team out for a cup final, to go on to win it. This was ours. The final game of the 2009-10 season, the nPower Championship Play-off final. Derby County vs Blackpool. At 24 years old, I was the youngest manager ever to lead a team out at Wembley, either Old or New.

I walked back into the dressing room as the squad filtered in. Rob Hulse, our own, and the league’s, top scorer with 32 goals, my appointed captain Robbie Savage, for whom this game would be his last, and Kris Commons, the midfield maestro who had set up most of Rob’s goals, along with my own imports such as Chris Eagles, who had been in the year below me in United’s academy, and Nigel Reo-Coker from Villa, who, with Savage had formed a formidable partnership. I called the team over.

“We’ve earnt this, lads. We’ve got here, to Wembley, through hard work. Through determination. Through playing the opposition off the field. This is your chance to prove how good you are. The chance to take County back where we belong. Who would you rather be playing come September? Arsenal? Tottenham? Or would you rather be playing Norwich? Maybe Millwall? I know where we’d rather be come then. There are 40’000 fans out there supporting you, believing in you. Go out there, and let them dream!”

Smiles broke out all around, as we lined up in the tunnel. Ian Holloway stood next to me, and with an exchange of “good luck”, I followed my team out of the tunnel and onto the hallowed turf. The roar of 90’000 supporters, and a sea of white and tangerine overcame my senses as I took my seat in the dugout. Bit of a difference in quality from Pride Park, I thought to myself, as the teams kicked off.

Five minutes in, and both teams had come out, all guns blazing. Then, as Reo-Coker won the ball in the centre and sprayed it wide to Eagles, who ripped Eardley apart and whipped in a ball that could have graced a Champion’s League final. From 15 yards out, Hulse made a darting run from the edge of the box and met it with aplomb, and the ball rifled past Gilks in the Blackpool net. 1-0 within 5 minutes! By the 20th​ minute Blackpool were chasing shadows. My Derby team was playing the best football I’d seen them play all season. On the brink of half-time, Savage shifted through the centre, only to be brought down by Evatt. Commons stepped up, 25 yards from goal, and bent a perfect strike around the wall and into the top corner. 2-0 at half time, and the team were flying.

Soon after the restart we reinforced our hold on the trophy. Hulse broke through and unselfishly squared the ball for Eagles, returning the favour as he stroked the ball into the empty net. Even Gary Taylor-Fletcher finally beating Bywater to pull a goal back for the Seasiders didn’t spoil the party mood shared by both us and the Rams fans in the terraces. Still, at the back of my mind was the bittersweet fact that I wouldn’t be here come August. I’d accepted an offer from Sevilla to take over as their boss, on the basis that Derby were promoted. And, with the score at 3-1 with 5 more minutes to play, it seemed that Robbie’s last game would also be mine. As the final whistle blew, pronouncing Derby County’s return to the top flight, I leapt from the dugout to embrace victory. 48 games, and I could now be called the youngest ever manager to gain access to the top flight. As I left Wembley, my phone buzzed. 1 missed call, beginning with 34. Spanish.

I stood from my seat on the team bus to applause and cheers from the squad.
“Let me talk. I know you’re all buzzing from, what has to be said, your greatest 90 minutes played this season-“
More cheers.
“But, I have to announce something. I’d like to take this opportunity to, regretfully, step down as your coach. I’ve had a word with the chairman, and he encouraged me to take this opportunity. You’ve been a great team, and I wish you luck for the Premier League. I also want to be the one who introduces you to your new boss, one many of you have worked with, and knows the club. Robbie Savage.”

Last edited:
Been waiting ages for the next update, very good update! Cant wait for the next one :p

Thanks for the support and feedback guys. Here's a little something to show the extent of this project :)

WordCount.png

wait i dont get this up date what happened derby county wtf

wait i dont get this up date what happened derby county wtf

*facepalm* Check the date of the chapter. It's called backstory with imagination.

Also, From the first page. I talk about manager history. Bury, Derby, Sevilla then United. -.-

Been following this story for ages yet unable to comment, excellent set out and great plot;)

An excellent story. I agree with others, if this was published i would buy it.

Any chance of maybe getting a list of transfers in and out and your current line up?

An excellent story. I agree with others, if this was published i would buy it.

Any chance of maybe getting a list of transfers in and out and your current line up?

I have finished the first season... so my transfers and line-up would contain some spoilers ;)

So, I'm not gonna upload them, sorry :)

Thanks for the feedback though :D

Chapter 19:
19th​ November, 2011
Old Trafford, Manchester.

“Navas with the ball in... Torres misses it, but Rooney pokes home at the back post! United take the lead with only 10 minutes to play!”

I breathed a sigh of relief from the dugout as Wayne ran toward the fans behind the goal. For 76 minutes Wolves had held out admirably, with Hennessey making save after save, denying Torres, Navas and Young. The game came as the 3rd​ in 2 weeks, with a 2-0 win at home against Swansea and a 3-0 win at Carrow Road since I returned. The team looked as bright as ever, and none of the players had questioned any deeper past my absence.

I watched on as Torres lifted the ball over Hennessey, only for Zubar to hook the ball off the line. Groaning with the rest of the fans, I knew that would have sealed the game. From his clearance Doyle bombed forward, cut inside Evra and slipped, just inside the box. Even Kevin himself made no fuss of the fall, getting up and chasing after the ball.
Then the ref blew. 86 minutes in, and Wolves had a penalty. Uproar filled the stands as Mike Dean marched toward the spot, pointing with one hand and summoning Patrice with the other. As the Frenchman protested his truthful innocence, Dean produced the yellow card. This meant he’d be banned for the Chelsea match. Not good news at all for us, but the night could get worse.

Doyle picked up the ball, walked to the spot and placed the ball down. David De Gea’s wiry frame wasn’t the most intimidating figure at the best of times, but the Spaniard was trying his best to upset the Irish striker. As Dean blew a short blast on his whistle, Doyle almost lazily scuffed the ball toward the corner, only to be met by the big gloves of De Gea, who picked up the ball almost bemused. Doyle just stood there, in disbelief. He partially turned, almost in apology to the sea of baying orange shirts in the corner of the stand. As the results stood, this win would only just keep us one point in front of City, who were winning 1-0 at Bolton with 10 minutes to play.

I stood in the foyer outside the dressing room, watching the television mounted on the wall showing Sky Sports News. I held my breath as the presenters switched the emphasis to the Reebok.
“And with 3 minutes to play, David N’Gog may have given Manchester United breathing room with his equaliser! From the Reebok, it’s Man City 1, Bolton Wanderers 1!”
I exhaled with relief. That result puts us 3 points in front of City. I turned away to tell the lads in the dressing room, when a flurry of sound drew my attention back to the television.
“Back to the Reebok! And it’s Ivan Klasnic! Bolton have achieved the improbable! Man City 1, Bolton 2 with less than a minute to play!”
I almost leapt with joy. 4 points clear! I stuck my head in the dressing room with a massive smile.
“Lads. City just lost at Bolton.” I announced.
The cheer that went up was the loudest I’d heard from the players for a while. This was a brilliant morale boost leading up to a tricky Chelsea game. Tricky being an understatement.

Great update mate. Can't believe you got Torres and Navas for the United team how did you manage that?

Erick Torres ;)
And Navas was £31m

ohh right :p was thinking fernando. Bit pricey for Navas? Have you sold Nani,Young or Valencia?
I bought Gaston Ramirez for 2.6 million second season who's doing brilliant for me. Itching for your next update.

ohh right :p was thinking fernando. Bit pricey for Navas? Have you sold Nani,Young or Valencia?
I bought Gaston Ramirez for 2.6 million second season who's doing brilliant for me. Itching for your next update.

Transfers over 48 months. Yeah, it ***** with your finances, but I made a few sales. Although, Jan will bring a twist... :p

This is fantastic mate - although you don't need telling! Best active story :)

I waited over a week for this pitiful update... TROLLED.

lol, nice update, compelling as ever! Lucky with that Bolton result!