Joss

Reaction score
Information

This article is a CONSOLIDATED VERSION of the full article ‘The Real Arsenal 4-2-3-1′, found here: http://www.mantralux.com/the-real-arsenal-4-2-3-1/ – go there to read the article in its entirety!

Differences from Last Year’s 4-3-3

After the 2008/2009 season, Wenger decided to try something new. One reason was to finally conquer Europe, where Wenger tried a more exotic 4-5-1 to adapt more to continental tactics. Another reason was to create more freedom for Cesc Fabregas, letting him roam more without compromising on the numbers in midfield.

He took the best elements from the trusted 4-4-2 -> positional fluidity, inside cutting wide forwards, highly attacking full backs and a clever possession-based short passing approach, and created a 4-3-3 that worked quite well at first. The players definitely enjoyed it more, as it allowed them greater creative freedom and more passing options.

You can view the analysis of last years 4-3-3 here: http://www.mantralux.com/the-real-arsenal-4-3-3/

Connections to Total Football

The philosophy behind total football is to have a 100% fluid team. That’s the simple explanation. The more detailed explanation is that in total football, every player is expected to make positional decisions on his own, roaming into attacking or defensive positions as he wish….

Wenger has always been interested in total football, and has been using parts of the philosophy in all his tactics – most notably in the wide forward positions. Last year he experimented with a ‘floating core’, where almost half the team had license to roam, and the other half rigid.

This year he has abandoned the floating/solid core idea and gone for another approach that is more vague. Fabregas is the most obvious example of a player with full roaming instructions. He comes deep to get balls, he goes wide, he often ends up in FC positions, etc. The connection to total football here is that Wilshere and Song both covers for Fabregas to keep the formation intact, so when Cesc comes deep to get the ball, one of the midfielders will push up to the AMC slot…

…This makes the midfield “very fluid”

Match and Player Stats

On average, Arsenal has 60% possession, 86.8% pass completion rate and 494 passes per game. We won’t get that amount of passes per game in FM2011, due to it counting passes slightly different than the Guardian Chalkboards, but with the custom DS2 database you should definitely come close to the 60/40 possession and 86% pass completion rate:

Possession Much?

Another thing we have to do in order to re-create Arsenal’s style of play in FM is to figure out how and why Arsenal have so much ball possession. There are a couple of reasons:

1. Positional awareness – making yourself available for a pass. According to Wenger himself, a player should always have at least three clear passing options, at all times. The result is that Arsenal can keep possession for a long time (on a good day), since there is always an option to pass. Keyword being triangles.

2. Probing play – patience is key. Contrary to popular belief, Arsenal plays a short passing game, with some players allowed to be more direct if they think it’s necessary. They’d rather keep possession than take a gamble.

…Now the most important thing to note here is that the default 11.1 database will NOT get you realistic possession and pass completion results….

… So if you want realistic results; apply the DS2 database, which is a custom Arsenal database.

Results and Comparisons

All these are comparisons between real life stats and in-game stats, just a couple of examples:

comp-dl.jpg

comp-aml.jpg

comp-amr.jpg

As you can see, the results are very similar.

Download

There are two different downloads, a database and the tactic. As previously mentioned, you will get fairly good results with just the tactic, but you won’t get realistic possession and pass completion rates without applying the database.

The database has several features, like changing kits every season, real competition names (Champions League, etc), and so on.

To download and read more, visit the full article on mantralux.com: http://www.mantralux.com/the-real-arsenal-4-2-3-1/

For questions, follow either @mantralux or @JossBennett on Twitter, or just post questions in the discussion area at Mantralux.com =)

Credit to Mantralux at FM Fanboys for most of the hardwork! (If it wasn't clear already..)

I should also add that the blog looks significantly better than this.. This is a CONSOLIDATED version, the blog has things like hover class (pictures that change when you hover your mouse over them) and far far more information..

Last edited:
so can you tell us about the results with arsenal. in the end that's what matters mostly right :p

Last edited:
very good mate as served me well, just started a game with this tactic and 1st in premierleague,

So this is just this season's version of last year's Arsenal Comprehensive Guide? If so, this is definitely a download for me as I used it last season and was so realistic. Cheers Joss :)

Used this tactic in the last 4 games with liverpool , i know it needs time , but the results are **** : 2 draws and 2 defeats ... lol

You might want too to post up screenshots of the results as in the end thats what matters if someone is going to download ur tactic
:)

You might want too to post up screenshots of the results as in the end thats what matters if someone is going to download ur tactic

This isn't really relevant as the tactic itself is just a pure emulation of Arsenal's current formation.

everyone crediting joss, this isn't his/her tactic, it's Mantralux's over at FB...
although Joss helps her out a lot...​

This isn't really relevant as the tactic itself is just a pure emulation of Arsenal's current formation.

Ok so tommorow I will go and create an Authentic Chelsea Tactic but if it wont get people results then not a soul will download it... if the resulst are not relevant no one is going to download the tactic just so they can see Arsenal play real-life tactics in FM and then lose or draw matches :p

Lose: No. Draw : yes ;/ Almost no chances to score a goal with this tactic. Possesion is great but my team isn't doing anything good with it. (Borussia Dortmund) 3 games 2 draws 1 win. The win was pure luck as it was a gk mistake which resulted in a 50 yrd goal.

Last edited:
Ok so tommorow I will go and create an Authentic Chelsea Tactic but if it wont get people results then not a soul will download it... if the resulst are not relevant no one is going to download the tactic just so they can see Arsenal play real-life tactics in FM and then lose or draw matches :p

What I'm trying to say is this tactic is no Mr. Hough 'Unbeatable' tactic. It'll get wins, no doubt, but you won't get 100+ goals and 35 wins.

You might, who knows, but it's just an accurate emulation of Arsenal today.

Oh and on the note of your authentic Chelsea tactic, that will probably get you 10 goals a game. lol

or maybe the tactic`s not that good , from what i`ve seen , the only thing you get from it is possession ... and that`s it .

that's the point of the tactic. It makes "FM Arsenal" to play as close to the real Arsenal. It only works with Arsenal players.

Great arsenal tactic been using it since friday and its so like arsenal its unreal i got beat the first game and drew the next but after that i won nearly every game :D

Wouldn't use this if it was anything like how you played today!

I joke, thanks Joss. :) :wub:

Last edited:
So this is just this season's version of last year's Arsenal Comprehensive Guide? If so, this is definitely a download for me as I used it last season and was so realistic. Cheers Joss :)

No it's not. There will be another article, which will include everything about having the most realistic Arsenal experience in FM possible: Transfers/Tactic/Training/Kits/Youth Teams etc.

That's not the point of the tactic. If you want screenshots, I can provide some, as can Calum and Mantralux - but the tactic is about creating the most realistic Arsenal experience possible in FM - So if you're conceding cheap goals than it's working: We're not exactly known for our defensive solidity :D

This. I used the equivalent tactic last year, and you will win games and probably the league eventually but it has to be given time and if you actually watch the game, you see just how similar it is to real life. It looks as if Arsenal are playing a lot of the time, and so you will get big wins against small teams, especially if they have a go like Braga/Shakhtar/Blackpool and many others have done and got beat comfortably...

or maybe the tactic`s not that good , from what i`ve seen , the only thing you get from it is possession ... and that`s it .

Well that is the basis of Arsenal's play - It's about controlling the game and playing good football, so if you're getting a lot of possession that's good!

everyone crediting joss, this isn't his/her tactic, it's Mantralux's over at FB...
although Joss helps her out a lot...​

His. But yeah it's Mantralux's tactic, i'll edit the OP to make it clearer :)

I really didn't help that much tbh, don't know why I got any credit, I just watched Arsenal games and played football manager with her tactics!

Go for it. And they probably will get results, considering Chelsea are top of the league and scored something like 12 goals in two games!

The results are relevant, as long as they're realistic, if you're struggling to score against teams who sit back and defend but you keep possession etc. then it's realistic, results will get better as always with FM tactics, just give it time, and if you're not willing to do that, then don't download it and slate it.

Lose: No. Draw : yes ;/ Almost no chances to score a goal with this tactic. Possesion is great but my team isn't doing anything good with it. (Borussia Dortmund) 3 games 2 draws 1 win. The win was pure luck as it was a gk mistake which resulted in a 50 yrd goal.

Link doesn't work..

Tbh neither I or Mantralux have tried this with any other team, it may work with others, or it may not. It's made for Arsenal.

What I'm trying to say is this tactic is no Mr. Hough 'Unbeatable' tactic. It'll get wins, no doubt, but you won't get 100+ goals and 35 wins.

You might, who knows, but it's just an accurate emulation of Arsenal today.

Oh and on the note of your authentic Chelsea tactic, that will probably get you 10 goals a game. lol

This.

that's the point of the tactic. It makes "FM Arsenal" to play as close to the real Arsenal. It only works with Arsenal players.

See above x2.

Great arsenal tactic been using it since friday and its so like arsenal its unreal i got beat the first game and drew the next but after that i won nearly every game :D

Glad to see it's working for you Calum.

Wouldn't use this if it was anything like how you played today!

I joke, thanks Joss. :) :wub:

Don't go there :'(

But yeah, see blog later this week..