I'd say the only thing they have in common is the possession aspect, all other areas are completely different.

Barca plays a 4-5-1/4-1-2-3 variant with a completely different approach than Arsenal, so you would have to tweak massively in order to transform this Arsenal tactic into a realistic Barca one. (H)

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Haha Spurs winning the Premier League.....oh the default database.

Agreed, didn't see that post.

And haha. You'll be delighted to hear I beat them 4-0 at Home - Cesc scored a hat trick and Walcott scored a fluke, and got Dawson sent off. =)

I use this tactic. The game Arsenal play is beatiful. Interesting that with Clichy and Sagna in wb positions, Pat Rice keeps telling me they are in unfamiliar positions (I use your custom db). Just 2 matches from the start, won against Tottenham 2:0, lost to Chelsea 2:1 (can't blame them too much for that, can I? :)). Bought Jeremy Toulalan as DM to backup Song. Also bought Adler. Will try to buy Van der Wiel next summer ... Just don't get it why players feel that formation is ackward (team blend HIGH ...).

That's weird that he says that, they are set to Wing Back - 20 in the custom database, so that is definitely their natural positions.

When I put them to FB it's ok. One notch up, and he is complaining ... On the formation screen both of them are in clear green in wb position. And they play ok (team is not yet fluid). But still Rice (the best assistant in the game) complains about them. By the way I play 11.1.1 fix. But I don't think it's that. And it really annoys me to see that after 6-7 games the formation is still akward ...

It has to be a bug in the 11.1.1, I haven't seen it anywhere, and I haven't applied the 11.1.1 yet.

Maybe ... I don't know :(. nevertheless, what training do you use? I've made my schedules with focus on ball control, tactics, strength and aerobic (I think Arsenal players need "more muscle").

The formation after it annoying me at beginning but i still loved it cause the way they played .....i ended up in jan selling arshavin to madrid for 20mil an tevez was unhappy at man city an came to me for 10.5mil loool .......ended season 3rd an won the champs leag final against madrid 2-0 with cesc an young jack scoring .....just starting 2nd season

This tactic is THE Arsenal itself!!!! For example: in my previous save I won against Tottenham, but lost to Chelsea. Anelka, Zhirkov and especially Malouda blasted past Clichy and Sagna, and used crossballs to feed Drogba and the far post. Baring in mind that Almunia and Fabiansky are ... well, let's just say they are not the goalkeeeper The Gunners deserve ... they gave me two goals and won 2:0. This is just an example of main shortage of this tactics. Two centreback also push far in front, closing down and pressing the opponents, but when it comes to Chelsea, R. Madrid, Barca etc. this behaviour, just like in real life, results in lot of conceeded goals. Upfront, when they play as they should, there is no better thing than to watch them. They pass, they score, crossing, passing through, Walcott crushing the defence with his speed ... I would just say BRAVO to Mantralux for creating this tactic. Maybe, if you want to do something more with Arsenal, try to buy decent goalkeeper (Adler, Mandanda) in his middle ages, until Sczeczny grows into a fine one himself.

This tactic is THE Arsenal itself!!!! For example: in my previous save I won against Tottenham, but lost to Chelsea. Anelka, Zhirkov and especially Malouda blasted past Clichy and Sagna, and used crossballs to feed Drogba and the far post. Baring in mind that Almunia and Fabiansky are ... well, let's just say they are not the goalkeeeper The Gunners deserve ... they gave me two goals and won 2:0. This is just an example of main shortage of this tactics. Two centreback also push far in front, closing down and pressing the opponents, but when it comes to Chelsea, R. Madrid, Barca etc. this behaviour, just like in real life, results in lot of conceeded goals. Upfront, when they play as they should, there is no better thing than to watch them. They pass, they score, crossing, passing through, Walcott crushing the defence with his speed ... I would just say BRAVO to Mantralux for creating this tactic. Maybe, if you want to do something more with Arsenal, try to buy decent goalkeeper (Adler, Mandanda) in his middle ages, until Sczeczny grows into a fine one himself.

See FAQ section on the article for answers to your questions about conceding goals and buying players:

http://www.mantralux.com/the-real-arsenal-4-2-3-1/

I've read it ... will try to implement it in the game. Just wondering, is it good choice, after first year, to buy Coentrao, and put him in AML position, instead of Arshavin. Then, since he has much more defensive attributes compared to Arshavin, maybe to switch him with Clichy/Gibbs? What is your opinion? Joss, Mantralux?

Based my tactic on this while making a lot of changes.

Thanks very much!

Last edited:
in my second game of season i was down 2-0 @ SJP and came back and won 4-2 :D we played fantastic passing throughout the 2nd half !!

Added new screenshots towards the end of the article (on mantralux.com) to explain the fluid nature of the tactic in FM, and how the midfield pivot translates to the game. =)

@Mantralux on Twitter:

Arsenal 4-2-3-1 article updated with new screenshots showing how the formation behaves in FM. http://bit.ly/9zE4bZ #FM2011

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Added new screenshots towards the end of the article (on mantralux.com) to explain the fluid nature of the tactic in FM, and how the midfield pivot translates to the game. =)

Beat me to it ;)