ninjaskill

Reaction score
The Miracle of Castel di Sangro
View attachment 186115
Castel Di Sangro is a small village with a population of 5,000 that was involved in the biggest miracle of football according to some. The miracle started in 1993 when Osvaldo Jaconi took over a Serie C2 side facing relegation and led them to second place. The next year he started the miracle by getting the small town into the Serie C1 that contained some teams that had been in the Serie A not long ago. Avoiding relegation was the goal and somehow Castel Di Sangro finished second and made the promotion playoff where the miracles occurred. They had a two legged semi final and lost the first leg 1-0. With only 15 seconds left in the game Jaconi put on a defender who had played 7 games and failed to score in any of them. 7 seconds after coming on the defender scored and Castel di Sangro advanced into the final against Ascoli. 120 minutes went and just before time ended the manager subbed keepers for the shootout. After 8 rounds of no misses the subbed on keeper made a seemingly impossible to get them into the Serie B.

There despite not having a stadium ready until December when the poor quality pitch flooded and couldn't be used. Following that two players died in a car crash, the captain of Ghana was on trail and signed but, then instantly sacked due to racism. The owner who was possibly close with the mafia then staged the signing of a Leicester player who started a fight and turned out to be a actor. A player and his wife were charged with Cocaine smuggling. Finally after heroics from the keeper kept them up the final game of the season was fixed to ensure Bari got promoted.

Since then they have been relegated and are now in the 6th level of Italian football and an amateur team again. I want to get them into the Serie A this time and create a bigger miracle. Annoyingly I can't make the 6th division playable so I promoted them to the 5th division where we are now massive underdogs to survive and have no actual players so I will have to sign an entire team and keep us from relegation. Then I will try and climb up the leagues and become a force in Italian football. While in Serie B they also had Carlo Cudicini and Vincenzo Iaquinta at the club both of whom went on to great things.
View attachment 186113
The only thing we have to our advantage for this level is we still have the 7,000 seater stadium even if the village population is 5,000​

Now that is an OP about a club. I wish you all the best with this one.

Club Overhaul

As FM doesn't add players to the sixth level of Italian football (It could have something to do with the 895 teams) I only had greyed out ones to sign so would have to sign an entire new team. To help me I had no backroom staff to begin with so hiring some would be the first job to that I could appraise the vast number of signings I would have to make.

View attachment 185909

I built a decent backroom staff and a head physio will also be joining soon to help bolster that.

From a mix of loans, free transfers and stealing players from other teams 85 players had been signed over the summer 4 of whom decided to then sign for a different team before the window was over. As you only play 1 game before the window none have had a chance to show what they can do but, I will start to cut player son to trim down the squad a lot. Some of the signings are for the future and are in the U-20 or 18 team but, I still have quite a big squad.

Key Players

Robert Manea
View attachment 185908
Played 3 times in Serie D the left winger can hopefully shine at this level and can still grow into a better player. A rarity as a foreign player at this level.

Guiseppe Cantiani
View attachment 185907
On the books of Serie C side Melfi he never played for them but, it is tied as the highest level of any of our players have been at. Should be a solid option in goal despite his youth.

Marco AlbergoView attachment 185906
3 years at Serie C Chieti but, 0 games. He will get game time here and he can hopefully get some goals to help us this season. 12 finishing is not bad for this level.

Gianluca Savy
View attachment 185905
Gianluca spent a year in Serie C but, never played here he will be vital as the key player in the defence and hopefully his lack of experience or first team football isn't a big obstacle.

Salvatore SoseroView attachment 185903
A real coup for the team Sosero can play on either wing and has played 31 games in the Serie D and could be the teams best player.

Pre Season OddsView attachment 185901
The press has no faith in us so staying up would appear to be a miracle. The team in last is automatically relegated and the four teams above them go into the relegation play off. To be assured of safety a 13th place finish is required which might be more than a miracle according to the odds.​

Now that is an OP about a club. I wish you all the best with this one.

Thanks, it would appear to be some season in Serie B for them.

Think I'm going to need the luck to achieve anything this year

Good luck mate - I would but a couple of £'s on you winning the the title!

Does this mean the end of your South American story?

Good luck mate - I would but a couple of £'s on you winning the the title!

Does this mean the end of your South American story?

Thanks, I wouldn't put a bet on us the squad has no familiarity with my tactic which is just a 4-4-2 with no instructions and a decent number of the the team hasn't played one senior game.

Yeah, at River I kept getting dumb low bids for great players and the squad kept getting up in arms about me not accepting tiny bids for great players and they got me sacked with a rebellion

So a new story and even more interesting than the previous ones ! Will be following !

August + September Update

As we only had 1 game in August the two months are lumped together. We make a slow start after the equivalent of a promotion and the squad struggled to gel. A month full of late goals in many games that cost and helped us. Despite a poor month we have the biggest crowd in the league at 581.
View attachment 185705View attachment 185704

Abruzzo Cup Group

The cup starts with a three team group each team plays the others once and the top team advances.

Castel di Sangro 1-2 Martinsicuro
View attachment 185701A game that was remarkably high scoring considering the first goal was scored after 86 minutes. We dominated with 16 shots to 4 but, Martinscuro scored both shots on target. We took the lead after 86 minutes with a classic lower league goal. 3 long balls were headed down to allow for the next one and Falchetti flicked a header on Albergo ran on to it smacked a good finish past the keeper to get us ahead. A previously solid defence then decided to call it a day and a minute later it was level again Latini turned his man and a really poor chip somehow ended up in the back of the net. The 89th minute winner was a kick in the teeth as Farinelli was in on goal and squared for Di Giorgio to pass the ball in and condemn us to defeat.

Castel di Sangro 1-1 Montorio 88
View attachment 185700A point to start our league campaign and this time the goal scoring started even later in the 87th minute. After we had edged the game we fell behind to what looked to be a winner after 87 minutes Di Stefano was left unmarked on the edge of the box and he made us pay firing a low shot just inside the post and out of reach of Cantiani. The lead lasted an entire 40 seconds from kickoff we got the ball wide to Manea his cross was awful but, looked like it would actually float in at the back post until the goal keeper pushed it away impressively. The ball landed at Rima's feet 1 yard out and he fired the ball in to level the game. Montorio 88 are predicted to finish 14th so that shows that this season will be a struggle.

Abruzzo Cup

Martinsicuro had already beaten Cupello so we were knocked out of the cup already so I played a rotated side.

Cupello 1-0 Castel di Sangro
View attachment 185699
Antenucci headed in from a corner after 47 minutes to hand us a second cup loss and leave us last in the group. In the crowd was the manager of Uzbekistan as one of Cupello's players had 11 caps and had played twice for Juve. That means he is probably the only player that will be mentioned for the next couple of years who has his own Wikipedia page.

San Salvio 3-0 Castel di Sangro
View attachment 185698
A convincing loss as San Salvio were the better team convincingly and deserved the win. Cantiani was impressive to keep the scoreline as close as it was. Zeppa got them ahead after 50 minutes a cross was flicked on and he was at the back post to apply the finish. A penalty after 56 minutes had us two goals down and a minute later it was 3 an awful back pass played in Marinelli and his finish was to good for the league a powerful shot into the top corner. After that we had a couple of chances but, deserved nothing from the game.

Castel di Sangro 0-0 Vastese
View attachment 185695
A change to 4-3-3 saw us pick up point number to against Vastese. We were second best but, a combination of poor shooting, good last ditch defending and some great goalkeeping earned us a point.

Martinsicuro 2-1 Castel di Sangro
View attachment 185694
We lose to the same score as last time in a game that featured the first first half goal I had seen as manager of Castel di Sango. Coccia had us behind after 40 minutes a good free kick was whipped in and Coccia was past the last man and poked in past Cantiani. We were two goals down after 50 minutes Cipriani was played in and his finish was perfect and as we have only got one goal a game, it was game over. Albergo gave us a glimmer of hope after 69 minutes with a nice goal volleying in a Prencipe cross from close range.

TableView attachment 185692
Well we aren't in the automatic relegation spot and that is about the only positive that we can draw from the month​

Hang in there my friend ! Hope you will do better !

October Update

We are still in the wrong part of the table however, we have been able to improve our form a bit. The goal for this season is to survive in anyway that we can.

Cupello 3-1 Castel di Sangro
View attachment 185582Ex-Castel di Sangro player Guiseppe Soria bagged a hat trick to hand us another defeat. Soria opened the scoring after 13 minutes Diop played in Soria and he scored with a neat finish. A minute later Savy was sent off for a two footed lunge on Soria to effectively hand them the game. Soria grabbed a second goal after 37 minutes turning in a Succi cross from close range. Soria finished his hat trick a minute after half time chipping the keeper when in on goal. Albergo pulled a goal back late on a poor offside trap allowed Albergo to be put in on goal by a long ball and he hit a good shot just inside the far post to make the scoreline closer.

Castel di Sangro 2-0 Morro D'Oro
View attachment 185581We get win number one of the season with a good performance. Trying to get onto the end of a cross Albergo was taken down in the box and then stepped up to score the penalty and put us ahead after 51 minutes. After 67 minutes we had a two goal lead Manea played in Albergo and his shot was tipped onto the post and Paris cleared it to Falchetti who fired into an empty goal to give us three big points.

Castel di Sangro 0-2 Celano
View attachment 185579Another loss we get back to reality with two second half goals sinking us. We fell behind after 63 minutes Marinelli half volleying in a headed knockdown. We went two behind after 76 minutes Calabrese tapping in a cross at the back post.

Alba Adratica 0-0 Castel di Sangro
View attachment 185578The game had a total of three shots on target and Cantiani made the only notable save of the game. Frascelli was sent off for a second yellow card after 90 minutes in the only other notable moment of the game. We earn another point.

Capistrello 2-0 Castel di Sangro
View attachment 185565
Another loss and we are continuing to struggle away from home. We were behind after 20 minutes Di Felice volleyed in from close range with an effort Cantiani somehow almost saved. We were 2 down after 78 minutes Cantone squared the ball to Ortenzi to give him a tap in and us another loss.

Table
View attachment 185564We are beginning to look like we can avoid the automatic drop and we will at worst be in the playoffs

November Update
View attachment 185341
With a not awful month we give the fans something to cheer about. A change to what the game calls a 4-1-2-3 DM improved our season points tally. To also help 5 new CB's are signed on the advice of the assistant manager and two DM's who are better than anyone that we had at the positions. The advantage of being in an amateur league with no registration rules.

Castel di Sangro 1-0 Renato Curi Angolana
View attachment 185338
We beat Renato who are just out of the relegation playoff to give us the chance to get out of the playoff. A solid defensive performance got us the win with one moment of quality up front classic Italian football. Fiorasco got the only goal of the game after 21 minutes Marino passed the ball to him just on the edge of the box and Fiorasco hit a great first time shot that clipped the inside of the post and left the keeper no chance. A moment of quality that was above this league.

Castel di Sangro 2-1 Pineto
View attachment 185334We beat ex- 1st place team Pineto and give them the first loss of the season in the first miracle of my tenure. Falchetti whipped in a great cross that Albergo smashed in just after the bounce. A 19th minute shock lead. It was a level a minute after half time Pineto hit in a free kick and Scartozzi volleying in the free kick. Lizza got the winner after 63 minutes Falchetti passed to him inside the box from a tight angle Lizza had his first shot saved but, he fired in the rebound and we get possibly the best result of the season. Cantiani pulled of an amazing point blank volley save to ensure that we kept all three points.

View attachment 185333
The result also sees us out of the relegation playoff places for the first time this season. The key to the season will be us to keep up this form and trying to pull away from the pack at the bottom.

Francavilla NC 3-0 Castel di Sangro
View attachment 185329OOOFF. That was us coming back down to earth as we get well beaten after our first two wins in a row. We were behind after 2 minutes Fucci heading in cross off the post. We were two goals down after 7 minutes Fucci turned provider slipping in Liberato and he struck accurately and powerfully to leave the keeper no chance. It was a third goal after 42 minutes to really bring us back to earth Fucci scoring a wonderful header to give us a three goal loss.

Castel di Sangro 0-2 Val di Sangro
View attachment 185328A close game where we come off second best and get nothing. An own goal from a corner just before half time had us a goal down just before half time. A second goal after 64 minutes finished us Ceccarossi got onto a long ball and finished well to ensure that Val won the di Sangro game.

Table
View attachment 185327We are back in the relegation playoff zone after a poor second half of the month. We are at least unlikely to be the automatically relegated team​

December Update

Not a very good month for the club and we are struggling to get anything after the two wins in a row

Miglianico 4-0 Castel di Sangro
View attachment 184885I don't really want to elaborate on this game the scoring was opened in the 62nd minute and then we collapsed and were crushed.

Polisportiva Torrese 2-0 Castel di Sangro
View attachment 184884Another loss for us and we appear to be really struggling. Pomponi put us behind after 31 minutes heading in a wide free kick to put us behind. Ferraioli bagged a second goal after 52 minutes and ensured we got another loss with a really powerful shot from inside the box that the keeper had no chance with.
Castel di Sangro 0-0 Paterno A.V.
View attachment 184882
A dull draw but, late on we had a great passing move that Barca would have been proud of but, after being played in Fonzino blasted well over the bar as we get the only point we get of the month in the last game of it.

Table
View attachment 184880Top of the relegation playoff but, we a decent way off of automatic relegation and getting out of the playoff.

View attachment 184879
We hosted Bologna and didn't give a bad display of ourselves as it was a close 2-0 loss and we had 10 men for a lot of the game.

View attachment 184878
James won the World Player of the Year award in quite the upset​

Bit of a tough December there but I have faith you can turn them around!

Bit of a tough December there but I have faith you can turn them around!

Thanks, December definitely a low but, some quality players have been added to the side so hopefully we do better

January Update

Finally a good month for us instead of the teams playing us as we have our best month to date the only down side is that all of the teams just outside of the playoff spots also had good months.

Acquespone 2-1 Castel di Sangro
View attachment 184704A late goal sees us lose an early lead that we had and come away with nothing. Fonzino got us ahead after 6 minute Albergo got the ball and pulled the CB out of position before slipping in Fonzino in the empty slot and Fonzino slipped the ball between the keeper's legs to get us an early lead. We held it for a while but, were level after 55 minutes a very deep cross floated over the head of the keeper and in, a fluke had us back on level pegging. The 85th minute winner was a kick in the teeth. Planamente was left unmarked in the six yard box and with a good finish he made us pay and we left with nothing.

Montorio 88 1-4 Castel di Sangro
View attachment 184699For the third time we get more than one goal and the first time more than two. Moronti came in at halftime and scored one and set up two more. We fell behind after a half hour a cross was poorly cleared and headed back into the mix and Nocerea headed past the keeper. 3 minutes after half time we got a leveller Moronti headed a free kick off of the bar and Sellitti reacted fastest to poke in the rebound. We were ahead after 56 minutes Cuoghi intercepted a goal kick at halfway and headed to Selitti he passed to Albergo and from 20 yards out he smashed and effort just inside the far post that left the keeper no chance. We hit the magical number 3 after 77 minutes Moronti crossed in and Albergo smashed in a volley from close range. Moronti then grabbed a goal of his own after 83 minutes and it is the Sunday League classic that you will see on any pitch the keeper punted it long and over the defence Moronti took a touch and then placed his low shot just into the corner and we had goal number four. An emphatic win over the team in last.

Castel di Sangro 1-0 San Salvio
View attachment 184698We pull off another upset and beat 5th place San Salvio in an open attacking game that either side could have one. Moronti got the only goal of the game after 62 minutes he intercepted a pass to a centre back and passed wide to Trosi who whipped in a cross that Moronti smashed in off the post from 16 yards out, a good goal to give us a win and three more points.

Vastese 1-1 Castel di Sangro
View attachment 184693
We come back from an early goal down to round the month off with a point. We were behind after 3 minutes Dema volleyed in a cross form close range. However, another second half goal was enough for us to claim a point against a good Vastese side. A counter attacking goal earned us a point after 63 minutes Cuoghi crossed in a beautiful cross and Albergo headed in at the back post to score.

TableView attachment 184692

We are a decent way from automatic relegation and certain safety so next month could have a big impact on our season.

OtherView attachment 184691
Oddly linked with Serie B side Crotone 3 divisions above. Not sure why Galli is studying for a C license and a national level player​

Feburary Update

Again we get more than half the points available in a month as we are hitting a spell of great form unfortunately the teams above us our so close that they constantly play each other and therefore it is hard for us to get out of the playoff.

Castel di Sangro 0-1 Martinscuro
View attachment 184550We again fall to Martinscuro and start the month off with a loss. Latini hit in a cross and it hit off Abagnale and wrong footed the keeper to go in. A disappointing loss as they only had 1 shot on target. Unfortunately they got the only goal so we get nothing.

Morro D'Oro 1-2 Castel di Sangro
View attachment 184549A late leveller almost robbed us of all three points but, we were back ahead seconds later. Albergo had us ahead after 3 minutes Trosi passed to Albergo who beat a man to get into the box and then hit an incredibly powerful shot past the keeper and in. Morro levelled 80 minutes later, Viola heading in a cross that was misjudged by the keeper. Parity only reigned for seconds we worked the ball down the pitch to Trosi who whipped in a cross that Albego volleyed in from 8 yards out. A big three points for us and we are 3 more points clear of automatic relegation.

Castel di Sangro 0-0 Cupello
View attachment 184548A draw against a fellow playoff team where we could have pushed ourselves closer to safety. A typical Italian game it featured 4 shots on target none of which were massive chances.

Castel di Sangro 1-0 Alba Adratica
View attachment 184547Another game with four shots on target but, we got one of our two to go in. Moronti scored the only goal of the game after 59 minutes a long ball played him in and Moronti scored from a tight angle. A good finish for us to get 3 points and we are close to being able to get out of the relegation playoff.

TableView attachment 184546
We are close to being able to get out of the playoff and with a good March we could get out of it. A bad March we are likely condemned to the playoff.

Other
View attachment 184545

A massive Sponsorship considering that we generally make a profit of a few hundred Euro's a month

View attachment 184544
Not sure why I'm getting linked with so many jobs while we are performing a bit above expectations I have a half star reputation and low stats​

March Update

After two steps forwards we take an F-16 backwards with an appalling month in which I would have fined the team if they were paid.

Celano 3-1 Castel di Sangro
View attachment 184170It sums up our month that this was our best performance of the month against first place side Celano. Albergo got us ahead after 25 minutes. Triani levelled after 34 minutes and we went down to ten men late on in the first half. We conceded two goals in the second half to lose our closest game of the month.

Renato Curi Angolana 4-0 Castel di Sangro
View attachment 184169We take a hammering in what was an even game as La Selva bagged a hat trick. Marino was sent off after 59 minutes to round off what was an awful match for the team.

Castel di Sangro 1-5 Capistrello
View attachment 184167We actually lead this game through Albergo scoring after 3 minutes. Ortenzi bagged a hat trick Atturo and Venuto both scored as well as we lose our lead and take a hammering. In a positive we managed to string two passes together.

Pineto 4-0 Castel di Sangro
View attachment 184166We get another hammering this month as Pineto crush us. We actually dominated possession but, did nothing when we had the ball.

Table

Forgot to screenshot it but, we are basically guaranteed to be in the relegation playoff no better no worse.

Youth Intake View attachment 184165
Not a great or awful youth intake as we get one good youngster out of it.

Sebastiano Rossi
View attachment 184164
A young centre back who should have a role to play in the first team in the future hopefully the first of many good youngsters produced.​

April + May Update

We have incredibly slim chances of not making the relegation playoff either by getting relegated automatically or getting out of the relegation playoff.

Val di Sangro 2-2 Castel di Sangro
View attachment 184142We twice comeback from a goal down to get a good point against 4th place Val di Sangro. Ceccrossi had us behind seconds after half time with a good header from a Mainella cross. 10 minutes later Albergo had us level Cuoghi crossed in and Albergo was behind the defence to poke in the cross and level. 3 minutes later we were behind again Mainella was unmarked at the back post to tap in a cross and put us back behind. Moronti scored after 78 minutes to ensure that we earned a point, Siciliano played him in and Moronti cut back and from 20 yards out floated an effort into the top corner the left the keeper no chance.

Castel di Sangro 1-0 Francavilla NC
View attachment 184129We get our first win in over a month in a close game that we just about edged. Fonzino scored the only goal of the game after 61 minutes Moronti crossing in for Fonzino to arrive and half volley a low effort past the keeper. A good win and it ensures that we will not be getting relegated automatically so it is a very big 3 points.

Castel di Sangro 0-1 Miglianico
View attachment 184128In an even game we possibly edged we got nothing and lost which meant that we would be in the relegation playoff. Giandonato go the only goal after 30 minutes left open on the edge of the box he volleyed in from a pass that left the keeper no chance.

View attachment 184127
Celano wrapped up the league and promotion with time to spare.

View attachment 184126
In a move that should help coaching I got my Continental C License.

Castel di Sangro 0-1 Polisportiva Torrese
View attachment 184123We failed to get a shot on target so had no real chance of victory. Ferrara got the only goal of the game after 33 minutes a free kick was hit into the box and Ferrera had time to take it down and volley it past the keeper.

Paterno AV 1-1 Castel di Sangro
View attachment 184122
We get a good point against Paterno AV who have been performing well this month. We went behind early on to Caggianelli goal getting the final touch to a loose ball in the box. Albergo got us level in the 69th minute Siciliano slipped in Albergo and he slammed a low effort in past the keeper to get us level and earn us a point.

Castel di Sangro 0-1 Acquaesapone
View attachment 184119Despite having 57% possession and 9 shots none of them were on target so we had no chance of victory. Minutolo got the only goal after 10 minutes he was played in and scored with a neat finish and we never got a shot on target to level.

TableView attachment 184117
The final table sees us finish in 15th place if that is good or not will depend on the result of the relegation playoff that we will have. Montorio 88 are automatically relegated will Pineto will go into the promotion playoff.

Playoff Draw
View attachment 184115We get Alba Adratica in the playoff final we beat them 1-0 and drew 0-0 in the two games we played against them this year. It will be a tight game and it is vital we come out on top