The Return of Aitor Herrera - The Boss of Bilbao

• Thread starter Thread starter Klippybo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 467
  • Views Views 157K
Hello peeps - just back from the stag weekend in Liverpool (if anyone in Liverpool saw a bunch of wrestlers getting wasted that was us lol) so will post a few updates tonight as played a couple of months on the train journeys etc

images

MARCH

Another excellent month as we keep on winning however so do Barcelona! We end the month still 2nd but have a chance of the title - we do still have to play Barca away though!

The youth intake was pretty decent with 2 very good youngsters coming in but nobody that will jump straight into the first team however there is one player who I have somehow overlooked and will be in the first team squad next year. Anywho here was my best 2 newbies......
View attachment 283739View attachment 283740

---------------------------------------------

Athletic Bilbao 2-1 Sevilla
Muniain, Benat

We surged into an early 2 goal lead here and hung on at the end thankfully!

-------------------------------------------------

Espanyol 0-3 Athletic Bilbao
Griezmann, Inigo Martinez, Susaeta

A fine win this (although Espanyol are really struggling) and we keep this good run going.........

----------------------------------------------------

UEFA Champions League 1st Round 2nd Leg
Athletic Bilbao (2) 4-0 Zenit St.Petersburg (3)
Illarramendi, Muniain, Susaeta, Benat
(Agg: 6-3)

Through we go!!!! We took the lead in the 1st minute and were 3up by half-time as we tore the Russians apart.

-------------------------------------------------

Osasuna 1-2 Athletic Bilbao
Muniain, Griezmann

Despite the date being the 14th of March this was our last game of the month and thankfully we won it!!! Derby wins are always nice.......

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
IKER MUNIAIN

images

View attachment 283738

----------------------------------------------
images

SPAIN

European Championship Quals Group F

Bulgaria 2-5 Spain
Mata 2, Javi Martinez, Muniain, Llorente

A good win here but could have been so much different as they had a goal disallowed that wouldve put them 2-0 up and then had a man sent-off!

images

Telmo Zarra

APRIL

We are still battling away for that title!!! We are 1pt behind with a game in hand but we have to go away to Barcelona remember............. Speaking of Barcelona, they defeated us in the first leg of the Champions League semis however we were decimated with tired players and injuries.

Going to be an interesting end to the season....................

-------------------------------------------

Athletic Bilbao 2-0 Deportivo La Coruna
Inigo Martinez, Ibai Gomez

UEFA Champions League QF 1st Leg
Athletic Bilbao 3-1 Bayern Munich
Muniain 2, San Jose (pen)

A fantastic win this although that away goal may come back and haunt us! Hopefully this will make Javi Martinez want to come back!

---------------------------------------------

Athletic Bilbao 2-1 Real Sociedad
Herrera, Griezmann

I wanted to rest some players but couldnt really. We were pretty sluggish but got a late winner to win the Vasco derby when Griezmann's cross found the net somehow!

------------------------------------------

UEFA Champions League QF 2nd Leg

Bayern Munich (1) 3-3 Athletic Bilbao (3)
Muniain 2, Ibai Gomez
(Agg: 4-6)

An entertaining game see's us through to the semis - Barcelona await after they knocked out Bayer Leverusen.

Almeria 0-4 Athletic Bilbao
Susaeta 2, San Jose, Illarramendi

We were excellent here and thoroughly deserved the points. Illarramendi's goal was a great one as he fired in from long range after we kept posession for ages.

-----------------------------------------------

Levante 0-1 Athletic Bilbao
De Marcos

Phew!!! Substitute Oscar De Marcos scored in stoppage time to give us the vital victory. Valencia defeated Barca too so this could be the turning point...................

--------------------------------------------------

Athletic Bilbao 4-0 Rayo Vallecano
Griezmann 3, Susaeta

Griezmann and Susaeta have been immense this season and it was Griezmann who stole the show here with a wonderful hat-trick.

UEFA Champions League SF 1st Leg
Barcelona 2-1 Athletic Bilbao
Muniain

We were without several players for this game and played a few that were 88/89% fit also which i never do so I was actually pretty happy with this scoreline as we got the away goal.

-------------------------------------------------------

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ANTOINE GRIEZMANN

images

View attachment 283750

Thats me up-to-date now regarding the updates as I wanted to concentrate fully on what could be an amazing end to the season. Will I be able to win any of the 3 trophies up for grabs I wonder?

images
images

MAY

A month of mixed emotions as we won the title and the Copa del Rey however we capitulated in the Champions League semis to Barcelona.

To win the Spanish title in my 3rd year in charge is a magnificent achievement - possibly greater than the Champions League win last year - but we are nowhere near as good as we can be as there are positions to be strengthened in future years methinks.

Just aswell I have a few decent youngsters in the ranks then..............

Athletic Bilbao 2-1 Real Betis
Bueno, Iturraspe

A vital win here. Just before this game I seen that Espanyol humped Barca 3-0 so I decided to rest some players here for our midweek game and we just sneaked it. Advantage Bilbao in the title race as we are 2pts clear with a game in hand.

------------------------------------------------

UEFA Champions League SF 2nd Leg

Athletic Bilbao (1) 3-2 Barcelona (2)
Muniain, Herrera, Griezmann
(Agg: 4-4, Barcelona win on away goals)

You have no idea how ****** off I am. 3up at half-time, actually 3up with 5 ****** MINUTES TO GO and I still didnt go through! What makes it even worse was that Mascherano got sent-off inbetween their goals in the 86th and 90th minute.

---------------------------------------------------

Barcelona 3-1 Athletic Bilbao
Griezmann

I ****** hate Barcelona - thats all...............

Granada 1-2 Athletic Bilbao
Muniain 2

Thank god for that! I was quite nervous going into this game - our game in hand - and it proved to be a tight and edgy game. We took the lead but got pegged back just before half-time but Muniain popped up with the winner with 20min left. 2pts clear with 2 games to go now......................

Copa del Rey Final

Real Sociedad 0-3 Athletic Bilbao
Herrera, Benat, De Marcos

Cup winners are we! We defeated Sociedad quite easily in this derby, mainly due to the fact that they went down to 10 men fairly early on. Our final 2 goals came in the last 10 minutes to add an extra bit of gloss to the win.

Athletic Bilbao 3-1 Sporting Gijon
San Jose (pen), Muniain, Herrera

One win away from becoming the champions................

Getafe 1-4 Athletic Bilbao
Herrera, San Jose (pen), Muniain 2

Champions!!!!! We were 3up at half-time so it wasnt a nervy end to the season at all really. Barcelona won so a draw wouldnt have been good enough to win the title.

------------------------------------------------------

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ANDER HERRERA
images

Final league table to be in the end of season post......................

images

END OF SEASON POST

We won the title, the cup and the 2 continental trophies so in the end it was an extremely successful season however our departure from the Champions League still hurts like ****.

While assessing my squad at the end of the season I think I may struggle in a few years time as the full back area needs strengthened big time and another top notch striker wouldnt go a miss either. Herrera at AMC is doing a job but doesnt score or assist enough (3 times less at least than I did) but their is young talent here............

Here is screenies of the two regens who broke into my 1st team squad during the season

View attachment 283795View attachment 283796
Prieto and Bernal

and here is the screenie of the regen that I completely overlooked (somehow)

View attachment 283797
Marcos Vazquez

-----------------------------------------------------

FINAL LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 283800
View attachment 283798View attachment 283799

MY LEAGUE SCORERS
23 Muniain, 20 Griezmann, 13 Susaeta, 9(7p) San Jose, 8 Inigo Martinez, 5 Herrera, 5 Ibai Gomez, 4 Benat, 4 De Marcos, 2 Illarramendi, 2 Iturraspe, 2 Ruiz de Galarreta, 1 Bernal, 1 Bueno, 1 Prieto

AWARDS
Player of the Year - Iker Muniain (Athletic Bilbao)
Young Player of the Year - Jairo (Granada)
Liga BBVA Player of the Year - Neymar (Barcelona)
Manager of the Year - Aitor Herrera (Athletic Bilbao)
Liga BBVA Goalkeeper of the Year - Victor Valdes (Barcelona)
Liga BBVA Top Goalscorer - Lionel Messi (Barcelona)
Pichichi Trophy - Iker Muniain (Athletic Bilbao)
Most Improved Team - Levante

TEAM OF THE SEASON
Valdes (Barcelona)
Daniel Alves (Barcelona)
San Jose (Athletic Bilbao)
Inigo Martinez (Athletic Bilbao)
Alex Sandro (Barcelona)
Fabregas (Barcelona)
Iniesta (Barcelona)
Susaeta (Athletic Bilbao)
Neymar (Barcelona)
Messi (Barcelona)
Muniain (Athletic Bilbao)

Amongst the subs were Griezmann and Ruffier

FIRST TEAM SQUAD
View attachment 283802

PLAYER OF THE SEASON
IKER MUNIAIN

images

OTHER NEWS
Barcelona beat Man Utd to win the Champions League
Arsenal retain the Europa League
Bilbao Ath. win the Second Division B2 and got promoted to the Liga Adelante!

images

SPAIN

European Championship Quals Group F

Spain 1-0 Poland
Javi Martinez

Muniain had one disallowed while I gave debuts to Ibai Gomez and Jordi Amat

Last edited:
Great season mate. And it seems u've got a few promising new regens!

Its an insane handicap being only able to sign Basque players, but winning the league in only you're 3rd season. Hats off mate!

Can't wait for the new season! :)

Well done league and copa del rey champions! The CL is just unlucky though. You've got some great regens though who should start tearing up the league soon. Also how did you overlook Vasquez? He looks like he could be the next Aitor, only not as good.

Well done league and copa del rey champions! The CL is just unlucky though. You've got some great regens though who should start tearing up the league soon. Also how did you overlook Vasquez? He looks like he could be the next Aitor, only not as good.

I signed him 2 years back and he made 2 or 3 appearances but last year he didnt make a single appearance! I did know about him but he mustve had a massive attribute jump. He also got tutored by Benat which went well.

images

PRE-SEASON POST

Not much to say really - well apart from the fact that I smashed the club record transfer fee lol - so read away!

AIMS
Retain the title
Inject a bit more youth to the first team
Help the B side stay up in Liga Adelante by fast-tracking other youngsters

CLUB NEWS

Junior coaching has been increased to an exceptional level
Youth training facilities are being improved

PLAYERS IN

I got myself another biggie!!!!! I more than doubled the club record fee for an incoming transfer by shelling out £40m for Javi Martinez from Bayern Munich. Didnt really need him I suppose but he is a top class player and wanted him to return to the club.
View attachment 283857

I also brought in the usual amount of youngsters - all on pre-arranged deals (I think I was drunk on the train when I agreed with some of them lol) - Ortega and Calvo however look really promising while Nicolas is on loan from Barcelona.
View attachment 283858View attachment 283866View attachment 283867View attachment 283859View attachment 283860View attachment 283861View attachment 283862View attachment 283863View attachment 283864View attachment 283865

TOTAL SPENT - £44m

PLAYERS OUT
Anders Iturraspe (£8.25m) and Gorka Iraizoz (£2.2m) left to join Real Betis while Mikel Balenziaga left to join newly promoted Villarreal for £4m. Gaizka Toquero left for Deportivo (£1.3m) while B team players Unai Bilbao and Alvaro Pena got sold for small fees.

Out on loan for fees went Jon Aurtenetxe to Getafe (£450,000), and 3 B teamers while leaving on loan for no fee were several youngsters - the most notable being Pol Balleste and Javier Guruzeta

TOTAL INCOME - £16m

SUMMARY

What to do with Javi Martinez? He is first choice CB for my Spain team but maybe I will be better off deploying him at CM? for Bilbao If that is the case Illarramendi probably misses out! Marcos Vazquez has been promoted to the first team squad, as has Txomin Vera (LB) and Oier Olazabal (GK).

I plan to use Oscar De Marcos as my new backup RB while Vera is going to be my backup at LB. The board are apparently concerned about the lack of opportunities for the younger players which I find surprising as I gave loads of games to Prieto and Bernal last year so hopefully by adding Vera and Vazquez that should keep them happy.

Here is a pic of Vera (he got an average rating of 8.36 last year in the B team over 40 games!)
View attachment 283870

Well done on Javi Martinez and the give youth a chance is probably a bug since lots of people have played a ton of youngsters and still had zero confidence. Some of those youngsters are quality but with some you think why would you sign them?

Well done on Javi Martinez and the give youth a chance is probably a bug since lots of people have played a ton of youngsters and still had zero confidence. Some of those youngsters are quality but with some you think why would you sign them?

My board confidence seems to fluctuate between untouchable to stable!

As for those youngsters - I blame the bottle of vodka lol - some will be B team players, I didnt spend a load on them thankfully

I've also noticed my board confidence randomly fluctuating alot, inbetween games and after games.

images

AUGUST

So the new season begins and I suppose we should be content with our start to the season. In the Champions League we got a fairly comfortable draw as we were matched up with our old friends Zenit St.Petersburg, PSV Eindhoven and Anderlecht.

It was a quiet end to the transfer window by us as we didnt sign anyone and only loaned a couple of youngsters out to gain experience. Having said that my director of football decided to put in a £9m bid for my former centre half Borja Ekiza which I immediately withdrew! I also got offered Mikel Arteta but turned that down.

--------------------------------------------

Athletic Bilbao 3-1 Celta Vigo
San Jose (pen), Inigo Martinez, Bueno

We were without the suspended Muniain so I gave Ibai Gomez a go up front. We needed 2 goals in the last 10min to win the game though, including one from young substitute Ibon Bueno. Barcelona lost their first game too!!!!!!

Atletico Madrid 0-0 Athletic Bilbao

Muniain returned but didnt perform but neither did anyone else! They missed a pen on 59min and Javi Martinez got sent-off on 74min so I was quite happy with a point in the end.

------------------------------------------------

Athletic Bilbao 2-0 Getafe
Muniain, Herrera

Back to winning ways with a comfortable victory.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
MIKEL SAN JOSE

images

View attachment 283880

TOP 10 LIGA BBVA TRANSFERS
(not including Javi Martinez deal)
[TABLE="width: 500"]
[TR]
[TD]NAME[/TD]
[TD]FROM[/TD]
[TD]TO[/TD]
[TD]FEE[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Victor Ibarbo[/TD]
[TD]Cagliari[/TD]
[TD]Barcelona[/TD]
[TD]£18.5m[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sofiane Feghouli[/TD]
[TD]Valencia[/TD]
[TD]Manchester City[/TD]
[TD]£15.75m[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]John Obi Mikel[/TD]
[TD]Chelsea[/TD]
[TD]Barcelona[/TD]
[TD]£10.75m[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Mario[/TD]
[TD]Espanyol[/TD]
[TD]Real Madrid[/TD]
[TD]£10.25m[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Alvaro Pereira[/TD]
[TD]Inter Milan[/TD]
[TD]Real Sociedad[/TD]
[TD]£8.75m[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Kevin Mirallas[/TD]
[TD]Everton[/TD]
[TD]Valencia[/TD]
[TD]£8.5m[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ander Iturraspe[/TD]
[TD]Athletic Bilbao[/TD]
[TD]Real Betis[/TD]
[TD]£8.25m[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Borja Ekiza[/TD]
[TD]Sporting Gijon[/TD]
[TD]Granada[/TD]
[TD]£7.5m[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ahmed Hegazy[/TD]
[TD]Parma[/TD]
[TD]Real Sociedad[/TD]
[TD]£6.75m[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Bojan[/TD]
[TD]Malaga[/TD]
[TD]Levante[/TD]
[TD]£6.75m[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

images

SPAIN

Friendly

Spain 2-1 Scotland
Azpilicueta, Muniain

I arranged this game so I could visit my old mentor Mr. Stuart and we caught up over some flavoured water called Tennents Lager! I gave Oscar De Marcos his international debut here.

images

SEPTEMBER

An excellent month as not only did we win another trophy - and defeating our fierce rivals in doing so - but we also defeated Real Madrid and Barcelona's shocking start to the season continued.

Our B team however are really struggling and they havent won a game yet!

Supercopa de Espana Final 1st Leg

Real Sociedad 0-3 Athletic Bilbao
Griezmann, Ibai Gomez, Javi Martinez

A fantastic result and surely the cup will be ours. I might even play a few youngsters in the 2nd leg.

Supercopa de Espana Final 2nd Leg

Athletic Bilbao (3) 2-1 Real Sociedad (0)
Ruiz de Galarreta 2
(Agg: 5-1)

We were without all of our Spanish internationals - including the U21's so it was a weakened side put out but we were excellent even though it took an injury time goal to win the match.

Real Zaragoza 0-1 Athletic Bilbao
San Jose (pen)

UEFA Champions League Group D

Anderlecht 1-4 Athletic Bilbao
Ruiz de Galarreta, Muniain 2, San Jose

A good win to kick-off the European campaign. Ruiz de Galarreta scored 1, set up 1 and got stretchered off!

Athletic Bilbao 2-0 Real Madrid
San Jose (pen), Bueno

An extremely scrappy game this and their was even 10 bookings and a red card for Khedira in the last minute. Barcelona slipped up yet again too!

Real Betis 1-2 Athletic Bilbao
Inigo Martinez, Ibai Gomez

We were a goal down at half-time so after I threw some paella dishes about the players went out and won the game. Benat got sent-off for us here. Oh and guess what? Barcelona slipped up AGAIN!!!

---------------------------------------------------------

Athletic Bilbao 3-0 Valencia
San Jose, Muniain, Inigo Martinez

Before our game Barcelona once again dropped 2pts - although this time it was against Real Madrid - 1 win in 7 now for them! I dont know what San Jose is on as he is scoring for fun! Valencia sacked their manager after this game.

----------------------------------------------------------

UEFA Champions League Group D

Athletic Bilbao 3-2 Zenit St. Petersburg
Prieto, Bueno, De Marcos

I rested a few players here and played my usual substitutes (not my youngsters just members of my 1st team squad).

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
MIKEL SAN JOSE
images

View attachment 283933

images

SPAIN

UEFA European Championship Quals Group F

Armenia 1-2 Spain
Muniain, Thiago (pen)

We were terrible here and had to rely on a last minute penalty to win!

Spain 1-0 Kazakhstan
Fabregas

Once again we were pathetic. Embarassed to post these 2 results truth be told.

This month has taken ages to do for some reason as the game started running slowly during matches. ******* me off big time. Tried restarting my laptop etc.

Back