The rise of Fulham

• Thread starter Thread starter mask0991
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 286K
View attachment 280913
Dominant performance and a good result. Hull keeper Foster showed signs of things to come as he pulled off an impressive double save from Woodrow. Williams gave us the lead just before the half hour mark with a good finish after Hyndman had played him through. Good finish by the young winger.
Despite our dominance, Hull were gifted a way into the game by Stafylidis who fouled Huddlestone inside our box. Penalty was given and Jordan Rhodes converted in, maintaining his impressive goal scoring record against us.

Just before the break, Halilovic scored for us a from a very tight angle. The ball was almost out of play near the byline. But his outfooted shot curled into the net. A really great goal, considering the angle.

The second half was very pleasing. Hull hardly had a way back into the game. Woodrow, Halilovic and Williams all came close to scoring. The game ended 2-1 but it very well may have been 3-1 or 4-1. But 3 points!

View attachment 280911
Dominant again, but nothing to show for this time. We created a lot of opportunities again but didn't put the finishing touches. Everyone except the back four and the goal keeper came close to scoring and saw their shots either saved brilliantly or narrowly wide/over. Woodrow headed one onto the post too.
It was just one of those games. Just needed a little bit of luck. In the final seconds of stoppage time at the end of the game, Kranevitter unleashead a 30 yard curler that beat the Norwich keeper but hit the top of the post and went out for a goal kick. That would have been an fairytale ending but it wasn't meant to be.

League:
Chelsea won their fixture when we beat Hull at The Cottage.
Our draw at Norwich gave Chelsea a chance to close the gap but they were held by Man City at Stamford Bridge. So, the equation doesn't change significantly. We're still 3 points ahead with a game in hand.

Fulham - P32, W21, D5, L6 - 68 pts - GD: 27
Chelsea - P33, W19, D8, L6 - 65 pts - GD: 35

As it stands, 13 points in our last 6 games will secure us the title. The remaining fixtures are:
Cardiff (Away)
West Brom (Away)
Swansea (Away)
Liverpool (Home)
Southampton (Home)
Man United (Away)

Last edited:
I'm halfway through reading this story, just want to say it's awesome so far, keep it up! :D

By the look of the draw its all going to come down to those last 3 matches, very exciting!

SATURDAY 14TH APR 2018
View attachment 280738
Another rock solid display. Not quite as dominant as our performances against Hull or Norwich, but we took our chances and came out victorious against Cardiff. Cardiff recently shocked Chelsea with a 1-0 win and I knew they were gonna give us a tough test.

The first half was balanced but we took our chance while Cardiff didn't. So, despite both teams playing impressively, we went into the break with a slim 1-0 lead. I told the lads to not get complacent and switched things up a little bit, mainly to counter Cardiff's excessive wing play.

The second half was balanced until the hour mark. When Kacaniklic scored with a volley, we went 2-0 up and gained a lot of confidence. The lads showed no sign of slipping up and won the game 2-0.

We were 6 points ahead at the top for now as Chelsea don't play until Monday. Chelsea play Swansea away and it isn't going to be easy for them...

MONDAY 16TH APRIL 2018
View attachment 280737
I was hoping for a Chelsea slip-up but they didn't. In fact, they absolutely smashed Swansea. This is going down to the wire...

That....was a huge scare. We turned the game upside down in 3 minutes and my mood went from extreme anger to a delight in those 3 big minutes.

Vilhena gave us the deserved lead from a Kacaniklic's low cross. We looked to be heading into the break with a 1-0 lead. But Jesse Lingard ruined it for us. He scored just before half time and I just sat in the dug out with my face meeting my palm. I told the team to keep going and that the winner will come. However, I questioned my defenders how they let Lingard in so easily.

5 mins into second half, Lingard shocked us with another goal. Stafylidis missed a simple interception and let Lingard in. "What the **** was that. Where's the passion?," I shouted at him from the touchline. We took our fair share of shots following Lingard's brace but the goal never came.

I sent Finnbogason onto the field in place of Baselli and went all out attack with a 442, with wide offensive wingers. And then we turned the game on its head in 3 minutes. Woodrow equalized from a Lustig's cross in the 71st minute and captain Balanta scored with a powerful drive in the 73rd minute. And we were 3-2 up!

I was jubiliant on the touchline. "Calm down," I was shouting from the touchline. As the game approached the final whistle, I was animated at the touchline pleading the lads to concentrate. The final whislte was music to my ears.

On a side note, that was Woodrow's 150th appearance for Fulham.

Chelsea's game:
Chelsea play in 3 days time - the same day we face West Ham in the FA Cup semi-final. Chelsea don't have it easy. They face Liverpool at Anfield. Liverpool will be fighting hard for 3rd spot in the Premier League for an automatic qualification to the group stages of the Champions League. Too bad I have to manage my team in the FA Cup, otherwise I would have made a trip to Anfield.

Last edited:
FA Cup Semi-Final: 2017-18

Recap: I still remember my first FA Cup Semi-final. It was my first season in charge when we were in the Championship. West Ham knocked us out in extra time to leave the players and the fans disappointed.

Similar circumstances today, but we have grown as a team. We have come so far ahead in the last 3 seasons.

And we're through to the final!!! A combative performance by the lads. Woodrow's first half brace gave us a 2-0 lead. The first one came off a header from Stafylidi's cross. The second one was a result of good anticipation from Woodrow. Pat Robert's long range shot was saved by the West Ham keeper Begovic but he couldn't hold onto it. Woodrow reacted the quickest, got to the ball and smashed it home.

West Ham brought on Zarate at half time, who has scored in each of our last 3 encounters. And he made it 4 in 4 with a sidefooted goal just after the hour mark. And West Ham had a way in. They tried to push us for the goal but Balanta-Burn combo kept them at bay. The did that for the last 30 minutes and we won the game!

The Fulham supporters in Wembley roared as we were through to the final. We play Southampton in the final.

Just read this from start to finish - superb. Love the detail and layout, top stuff.

The players, staff and I were jubilant following the win over West Ham. We totally forgot that Chelsea were playing Liverpool at Anfield today as well. I tell my staff not to focus on other games or let the players know of other games' result while playing important matches ourselves.

I separated myself from the players and took my mobile out. I loaded up the BBC Sport page and what I read was absolutely fantastic. Liverpool hammered Chelsea at Anfield.That was wonderful news. Chelsea are six points behind having played a game more than us. So, this is how the top of the table looks at the moment:

We face Liverpool at home, which is the game in hand for us. 4 points in the last 4 games will secure us the title. Things are looking good.

View attachment 280648
**** it Liverpool. You couldn't let us get atleast a point huh?
As you can see from the stats, it was rather even game. Most of the game was bogged down in midfield with a few chances created by either side.

Liverpool scored the only goal just before the hour mark from a free kick. Coutinho delivered the set-piece very well into the box but the marking was poor. Lovren had way more time and space than he should have.

We came close to scoring through Balanta, Woodrow and Finnbogason in the end but none of them went past the goal line.

Oh well. A 1-0 home loss. This ends our 9 game unbeaten run. Not big changes as far as the title race is concerned. We need 4 points from 3 games.

One step closer. This was a rather comfortable win barring the last 15 minutes or so. Our first goal started with a brilliant tackle by Dan Burn which started a counter attack. Within seconds, the ball was at the other end. Woodrow's header from a Kacaniklic's cross hit the bar but the rebound fell to Halilovic who gave us the lead (goal below).

Fabio Borini equalized for them from 20 yards. Not much Bettinelli could have done to stop that. But Halilovic scored his second with a close range finish just before the half hour mark. 2-1 up. And we were rather comfortable with the ball from then until the last 15 minutes.

Swansea came out all guns blazing in those last minutes. Most of their shots were during those minutes. We had to weather the storm a little bit but we defended solidly to keep them at bay.
View attachment 280642
[video=dailymotion;x2mzefa]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2mzefa_fm-15-halilovic-goal-vs-swansea_videogames[/video]​

League table:
So, Chelsea's recent slip ups and Liverpool's amazing form off late has shaken up the top of the table a little bit. After the draw against Tottenham, Chelsea no longer have a chance to win the title. But Liverpool do, mathematically. It doesn't change things for us though - we still need that one point to guarantee the title.

Our next game is against Southampton at home. We can lift the title in front of our home fans!
View attachment 280641

Finally caught up, great stuff! :D
On a side note, could you please let Liverpool win the title? :P

The deciding day....

We were due to face Southampton at 17:30 but Liverpool travel to West Ham earlier today at 12:45. Liverpool had to beat West Ham to put any pressure on us. If they slip up, the title is ours..

And.......
View attachment 280447

CHAMPIONS
View attachment 280445
FABULOUS! WE DON'T NEED A POINT.
WE ARE CHAMPIONS OF ENGLAND.

Really awesome stuff. Our game starts in just more than 3 hours time and it's highly inconsequential for us. This is absolutely awesome...my first Premiership title in my 3 seasons in the top flight.

We don't have the best squad but the lads played with determination and commitment. We scraped through several narrow wins but it's the character the players showed that brought the Premier League title to Craven Cottage for the first time in the club's history. A proud day!!!

Once we finish the Southampton game, we are going to celebrate..and celebrate big!!

Along with the Community Shield, we have done a double.
View attachment 280446

Back