zAWvKr6.png

aOuqF5p.png

Our next two fixtures are against teams that are in the bottom five of the league table presently - Leicester(Away) and Aston Villa(Home). We've been recently working on a 442 tactic with Woodrow (Target Man) and Mitroglou (Poacher) leading the attack. Our tactic has predominantly been a wide 4231, focusing on quick interplay between the attackers. Since Kostas Mitroglou was on loan last season, I didn't get the chance to use this formation more.

Here are the results of the games with the 442 tactic:
FIuQlXz.png

Nothing much to say about the game. We got lucky when Leicester's Mike Jensen decided to perform a brash tackle on Woodrow and got himself sent-off. We scored just before the break as Mitroglou latched onto a long ball from full back Stafylidis, and passed it into the bottom corner. Despite being down to 10 men, Leicester threatened to equalize. If they had 11 men on the field, I am certain they'd have equalized - may be even won. I am glad we came out of this game with a win. This is Leicester's fifth league defeat in a row, which will put a lot of pressure on the their head coach.

ML2nb0j.png

Two own goals by Aston Villa to give us a win. Our first goal came when Balanta struck the ball on the volley after Villa defenders only half-cleared a corner. Hector Bellerin tried to block it but the shot was hit so powerfully that it found its way into the back of the net. Our second goal came from another set-piece. Mitroglou's free kick initially hit the underside of the bar before rebounding off Guzan's shoulder into the goal. Guzan, who was at full stretch after Mitroglou's initial attempt couldn't prevent the ball from crossing the line.

Villa pulled one back through Agbonlahor as he used his acceleration and pace to beat our defenders to the ball. I was worried about his pace before the game but thankfully, we let Villa take advantage of it only once. Our deep defensive line with hard tackling paid off, I guess!

A while back, I said this:
Upcoming fixtures:
ksc4CbX.png

The next two games are going to be tough. I'll take any point(s) I can get from those two games. Against QPR, Leicester and Aston Villa, I'll be going for a win.

I am hoping to get 6-8 points in the next 5 games. Not a very ambitious target, I know but with two tough games around the corner, I am just trying to be realistic.

The results:
Ylh5Cbk.png

Having finished those 5 league games, I am glad that I got 12 points, quite ahead of the 6-8 I was hoping for.
There is still a long way to go in the league but I want to do it in terms of these short term goals and having successfully completed the first one, I am looking forward to more positives.

The league table
kVz1mDI.png

JIjdCkW.png

Guess this was coming. Our performance was lackluster and deserved the loss. In all fairness, Watford should've got another one but Forestieri scuffed the opportunity. Woodrow, Balanta, Bakker all came close to scoring but they were only half chances. The less said about our performance the better.

We slip to 8th position in the league following this loss. It's time to turn our attention to the League Cup fourth round game vs. Derby.

LEAGUE CUP FOURTH ROUND

F6ccM2M.png

From BBC Sports:

Bryan Ruiz's masterclass propels Fulham through
Derby's game plan was undone by a top draw midfield display from Fulham's no. 10 Bryan Ruiz. He dictated terms for Fulham from the middle of the park with an 84% pass completion rate. He played significant roles in both Fulham goals, as he set-up the first and scored the second. He made several defense splitting passes in the first half, one of which released Brandon Barker one on one with the Jak Alnwick and the young winger showed excellent composure to score Fulham's first goal.

When Ruiz was brought down by Jake Buxton just outside the box, Ruiz made him pay by scoring a curling freekick that whistled into the back of the net. Derby simply couldn't cope up with Ruiz's display.

Fulham were completely in control of the game until the 81st minute when Balanta was sent off for a tackle from behind and the referee deemed it as a clear goal scoring opportunity. Fulham manager Darren Trott was clearly unhappy with the decision and Amorebieta tried to convince the referee that he was alongside Balanta and that wasn't a clear goal scoring opportunity. The referee showed Amorebieta a yellow card for his protests.

Derby managed to pull one back after Fulham were reduced to 10 men but the Cottagers held onto their lead for the last couple of minutes. Fulham go through to the quarter finals of the Capital One Cup.

Ruiz put in a fantastic performance indeed. I didn't start him in the last couple of games but this performance will change my team selection in the coming games.

Appeal against the ban:
As for the red card, I thought it was harsh. The referee told me that it was because Balanta fouled when Derby had a clear goal scoring opportunity and he was the last man. I didn't think so. I immediately picked up my phone, made some calls and sent an official letter to the appealing against the ban.
Here's a video of the foul. I would like to hear your opinion about whether the red card was deserved or whether it was harsh.
[video=dailymotion;x2jx5b3]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2jx5b3_fm-15-red-card_videogames[/video]​

"The FA disciplinary committee decided to overturn Balanta's automatic suspension after the Fulham defender received marching orders against Derby in the Capital One Cup fourth round."

Sweet! I knew that tackle didn't deserve a straight red. I received the news first and wanted to let Balanta know myself. I called him and told him to meet me in my office.

I told him the good news and he was relieved. However, I did give him a friendly warning - a very informal one. I told him that since referees don't always get the best view of the incident, they give the decision against the tackler most of the times.

He tried to convince me that he was trying to get the ball. I immediately interrupted him and told that I agreed with him. He'll be a key presence in our defense in the future and told him to think twice before lunging into such 50-50 challenges. I also him how these things can let the team down and he listened keenly.

He seemed pleased that I put my confidence in him and nodded to my comments, before leaving the office.

League Cup Quarter-Final draw:
We have been fortunate in the League Cup so far regarding the fixture draws. We went into the games against Walsall, Shrewsbury and Derby as favorites. However, things are going to be much different in the next round.

We have been drawn Liverpool at home for the quarter final. This is not going to be easy. We beat them once this season already and must replicate a similar performance or even better to stand any chance.

3L30g2p.png

This was a boring game in all honesty, mainly because Burnley were happy to defend for most of the game. But I don't care - we got the three points. Burnely didn't commit men forward a lot and only attacked in phases. We were certainly the more dominant team as we had 60% possession and had three times the shots on goal as Burnley did. Woodrow scored a real poacher's goal as he found the net from 6 yards, after Bryan Ruiz made a marvelous pass. Barker, on loan from City scored our second towards the end of the game after controlling a long ball from Danny Bakker.

This win takes us to 7th in the table.

SCOUTING MANIA
I need to add some flair and creativity to my central midfield. The present situation looks like this:
ZDFvroD.png

Bryan Ruiz is 30 yrs old, and his stats are starting to decline. More importantly, he is not very physical, which can be an issue in the Premiership.
Baselli is the only other option we have and I'd prefer a more creative force in the midfield. So, I have sent my scout Alan Miller off to Brazil to find me some potential playmakers. The choice of Brazil for playmakers was an easy one for me.

I am also thinking of sending a scout to Mexico and one to Argentina.

Last edited:
My next 6 games:
jVlUoUv.png

I am not looking forward to this - not at all. :(
I'll have to try and force a win against Hull. Everton have some good players but I'll be going for a win as well. The other three league games against United, Chelsea and The Gunners - I'll take any point(s) against them.

Then, there's the League Cup QF vs. Liverpool. Ughh.

Tough month coming up mate, good luck with it. Here's hoping you can pull off the odd upset!

My first trip to Old Trafford!

Well, not exactly my first trip, but my first as a manager. The fans were boisterous, I could hear the Glory Glory Man United anthem from every end. This wasn't going to be easy. I hardly had any nails left on my fingers. I told my boys to play without any pressure - wish I could follow that advice myself.

I approached Louis Van Gaal and shook his hand. He said our recent good form was nothing but luck in the recent press conference. However, he wished me good luck during the brief moment during the handshake. I took my seat next to Baresi, who reassured that our tactic would work. I hoped for the best.

First half: It was all Man United. We barely threatened. We only had 1 shot in the entire first half, that too off target. In fact, De Gea could've brought along a couch with him, and may be a magazine. I wasn't too disappointed because the scoreline was 0-0 come half time.

In fact, that was the tactic. Well, not exactly. The formation was a 5221 counter/structured one. The idea was to stay back and hope for an opening at the other end. Woodrow played the lone striker, and hardly saw the ball.

Second half: More of the same. It was United who were probing our defense. The fans in red were fully behind their team. I could sense a goal, and it came through Di Maria in the 74th minute.

I threw my head backwards in disappointment. I encouraged the lads from the touchline. United wanted a second, and they went at it. The ball stayed in our half after the goal. We just kept clearing our lines. No flair or anything, just kick the ball out of the box anywhere away from our goal. One such clearance fell to Woodrow, who controlled it and played to Patrick Roberts.

Roberts goes past Nikoulou.

Roberts smashes one towards the net.

De Gea is beaten.

I go nuts...Old Trafford goes silent.

I told the lads to calm down and tighten things up. They did. United did everything to find a way past our defense. But the lads, led by Alvarez Balanta put on a top-notch performance and denied United the win. We got one point.

The stats:
F81kUTP.png

United dominated, but could only manage a draw. If I were in Van Gaal's shoes, I would've blasted my players in the post match team talk. I, on the other hand told my players it was a great performance, especially the defenders. Balanta, you absolute beauty.

Scoreline:
9NuuwlS.png

Last edited:
Meeting Mourinho!

The big derby! And my first chance to lock horns with Jose Mourinho. Not going to lie, he is my favorite manager at the moment (esp. after Fergie retired). He is one of those managers everyone loves to hate, but his success speaks volumes.
But he was the head coach of our bitter rivals, Chelsea. So, I didn't openly admire him and remained tight lipped everytime someone brought up my relations with Jose.

"We'll put Fulham in their place", said Jose, in the press conference leading upto the game. We all know what Jose is like and I expected such a statement from him. I, obviously, didn't react.

A quick wave of hand towards our fans and an even quicker handshake with Jose preceded yet another nervous walk to my seat in the stadium. For the second game in a row, I was nervous. Surprisingly, I wasn't as nervous as the Old Trafford game. Was it because this was a home game? Was it because we got a point at Old Trafford? I don't know. But I was definitely more confident than the last game, and went with a more offensive tactic (compared to the defensive one vs. United).

First half: It was typical Jose and typical Chelsea in the first half. A physical approach by Chelsea and counter-attacking strategy by Jose. Just as expected. I told my players to get stuck in while tackling before the game, and they did. Use Jose's own style to counter him. It nearly worked as my midfield put pressure on Chelsea defense forcing them to make defensive errors. One such mistake allowed Woodrow to find some space but his shot was well saved by Courtois. After an even half, the ref blew his whistle.

I was getting ready to talk to the players and took some feedback from my asst. coach Baresi. We had an intense discussion with the players and the second half kicked off.

Second half: Both teams had neat openings but it was us, who scored first. Once again, it was Patrick Roberts, who equalized for us against United last time around. But we gave it away 3 mins later.

"Diego Costa in the box, he gets past Lustig...and he's down. He goes down like he's shot. And PENALTY! Dan Burn obstructed the Chelsea forward while attempting to win the ball..... Oscar steps up, and SCORES!! Coolly slotted into the corner"

And it was 1-1, and it stayed that way till the 90th minute. 3 minutes of added time and both teams were trying to force a winner. Jose and I were both on the touchline, telling the players to focus. 30 seconds to go and looks like another draw was on the cards....
until..
OSCAR SHOOTS...GOOOAAALLL!

**** it! **** it! **** it! Diego Costa once again showed quick feet and slid in a beautiful pass to Oscar who drilled it home. I was disappointed and shut my eyes as I leaned back on the touchline. The game was over - there's no way we are coming back after conceding so late.

The ref blew his whistle for full time. A quick handshake with Jose followed. And I headed down the tunnel, with Baresi and Grant on my either side.

I said "Football is a cruel, cruel game" and they nodded.
oNWnX4h.png

Last edited:
Patrick Roberts out injured!
Sigh! He's been a bright spot for us this season and his injury changes things. According to the physio, his torn hamstring might keep him out for 2-3 months. This is a bad news, especially considering the fact that we are in an important phase of the season.
View attachment 290483

Taming Lukaku, and the injury crisis.

This game could've gone either way. Both teams had nearly equal possession and shots at goal. However, it was us who took our chances more than Everton did. We hit the post thrice in the first half - Woodrow, Mitroglou and Christensen all were denied by the woodwork. The goal finally came when we hit Everton on the counter. A poor Everton corner was well cleared by Burn. Mitroglou intercepted the clearance and laid it on to Woodrow. The young striker skinned Kalas and Jagielka before powering it into the net.

Everton came close a couple of times through Lukaku, who was a general pain in the *** for our defense. His strength and pace really troubled our defense. I had to ask Balanta to specifically mark him to keep him out of the game. I'd like to think it worked as he didn't get a lot of chances in the latter part of the second half.

The goal:
[video=dailymotion;x2k3hwv]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2k3hwv_fm-15-woodrow-goal-vs-everton_videogames[/video]​

But we were hit with bad news. Mike Taylor came into my office with an injury report. So many first team players injured. With games against Arsenal and Liverpool coming up, I am irritated. The team is really being stretched thin with these injuries.
After reading the full report, I kicked my desk in frustration which left Taylor with a startled look on his face. "Sorry...but this is so ******* annoying. Bl**** ***** annoying", I said before our meeting concluded.
View attachment 290473

View attachment 290465

Another narrow loss. However, we should've done better. Arsenal were down to 10 men in the 44th minute when Dragovic received marching orders after a second yellow card, but still managed to beat us. Sanchez, Cazorla and Giroud were getting the better of us everytime they had the ball but the one man advantage we had prevented them from finding the back of the net. We took the lead in the 62nd minute, as Kacaniklic beat David Ospina at his near post.
We should've held onto our lead but Sanchez and Giroud scored two in the space of 4 minutes and put us on the back foot. We tried to get an equalizer but Sanchez and Cazorla were brilliant in keeping possession for Arsenal, meaning we didn't create good goal scoring opportunities.

I wasn't expecting a result from the game before it began, but given our one man advantage for an entire half AND taking the lead first, we really should've gotten a result - we really should have! Having said that, I didn't lash out at the team or anything. I told them they did their best. Sanchez, Cazorla and Giroud were really good, unfortunately for us.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I miss last season's Woodrow. I really do. There were two golden opportunities for us to take the lead but Woodrow squandered them both - one of them was from under 10 yards. He even controlled a long ball beautifully but made a mess out of the shot. Last season's Woodrow would've buried it. We were the better team and had more chances but simply couldn't profit from those.
I'd rather view this a 2 points dropped than a point gained. We are in 10th position in the league at the moment, 3 points lower than both Q.P.R. (#9) and Watford (#8). However, Watford played one game more than both us and Q.P.R.

Last edited:
LEAGUE CUP QUARTER FINAL: Super-sub Bakker downs Liverpool

For the second time this season, we saw off the threat of Liverpool at Craven Cottage. It is the only 'big five' club I've managed to beat this season. The game was an extremely lively one, with both teams pushing forward and building rapid attacks. Danny Bakker, who came on to replace McCormack near the end of the game scored for us, propelling us to the semi-finals of the League Cup.
Liverpool started the match with Raheem Sterling, Henderson and Coutinho on the bench. I thought that was a mistake as their midfield lacked the usual quality associated with the club. Balotelli was a beast upfront though, troubling us on more than one occasion.

Semi-Final draw
After seeing off the challenge of one big club, we welcome another big club to Craven Cottage - Manchester United. I was actually very disappointed with the draw because only one of the 'big five' made through to the semi-final and we were handed that team. Oh well...

Atleast, I am ahead of the Board's expectation in this cup. They wanted me to atleast reach the fourth round and we are in the semi-finals!

7WO9bL4.png

So, I signed a new contract that extends my stay will 2018. I requested the board for a new contract and after some discussions, they agreed. I also requested them to improve the youth facilities and recruitment system, to which they agreed, albeit a bit reluctantly.
I am looking to build a team focused around the club's youth system and improving the facilities is the first step towards that.

This is fast becoming one of my favourite stories, congrats on the new contract & facilities upgrades!

Similar, but widely different!
Here are the results from my recent couple of games.
Pz1cO0m.png

Lots of similarities between the games. We scored 2 goals and the scorers were the same - Cauley and Alexander. The second goal came around the same time in both games, with about 5 mins. left in the game. But the circumstances were widely different.

Before the second goal, I was feeling disappointed in Swansea game (because the game was heading towards a stalemate), where as I was feeling nervous in the Norwich one (because Norwich were threatening to level).

My emotions were widely different after the goal as well - joy in the Swansea game where as relief in the Norwich game.

I don't think I need to elaborate any more as the timing of Kacaniklic's goals speak for themselves. Six points in the bag, which is wonderful as we move to 8th spot in the Premier League.

Good bye, Mitroglou?

Yesterday, I was approached by my assistant Baresi, who told me that Kostas Mitroglou wanted a private meeting with me. I knew this was coming. I haven't been giving him a lot of game time recently and it was only time before he wanted to bring this up with me. I agreed and told Baresi to have him come to my office at 1:30 PM today.

It was almost 1:30 PM, and I was going through Kostas' stats for this season. I asked my coaching staff to rate his performances out of 10 as well. All the numbers were in front of me. I heard a knock on the door and it was Kostas. I signaled him in and told him to take a seat.

He brought up the issue immediately - no greetings or anything. Well, this is going to be interesting.

"I need more game time. I want to make my spot in the national team permanent and the best way to do that is by playing more", he said.

"This is not the first time you came to me with this issue, Kostas. Last time, when we had this discussion, I promised to give you some game time and I held my end of the promise", I said and continued "And you didn't take the chances. Your scoring rate has been very poor this season."

"You scored one goal man, one goal in 10 appearances. That is not the mark of a good striker. And you only had 33% shots on target. And your assists aren't great as well - you have only 3 of them".

He tried to interrupt, but I didn't stop. "Your passing has been sub-par too. I don't want this to turn into a big issue but tell me if you think these stats warrant a first team place", I concluded.

"That was a while ago. I think you should give me another chance. I believe I can score more and at a good rate. You must show faith in me", he replied.

"I will give you a chance, of course I will. But with the 4231 formation we've been playing, there is spot for only one striker and Woodrow is my first choice as he is more lethal in front of the goal than you. So, I can only play you as second fiddle." I then added, "But, if you can provide me some goals when you get the chance, I will increase your game time. ****, I would be willing to change the team formation to a 442 in order to accommodate both you and Cauley."

He wasn't happy. "It's not going to work boss. If I don't get a first team spot, I would considering moving to another club. I want regular first team football to keep my place in the national squad.", he argued.

I am not the kind of manager who succumbs to players' demands. Kostas' recent form doesn't deserve a place in my squad (he has an average rating of 6.74 and only three other players have lower rating in my first squad). I don't want him to cause disharmony in the dressing room.

"OK, mate. I'll try to sell you. I'll immediately let other clubs know that you're available for a transfer. You should inform your agent of the same so that this goes on smoothly for you. If that's all you needed to discuss, this meeting is concluded.", I ended in an abrupt fashion.

He nodded and left the room. I informed Baresi of our discussion and my decision to let him go. He said it was the right decision as well.