kzStTdo.png

And yet another 2-1 win. We have won 14 games this season, with 8 of them being 2-1 victories. This game resembled a good ol' Hollywood thriller. It srated off very calmly with both teams content with just knocking the ball around. Barker broke the shackles in the 38th minute with an absolute gem (video below). A corner cleared by Watford fell to Barker at the edge of the area who struck the ball cleanly into the back of the net.
The game remained rather calm for the next 40 minutes or so when the intensity flared up.

82' Barker latches onto Ruiz's cross and volleys it home. 2-0 to Fulham and they're coasting to victory now.

84' Borini plays it through to Riera and Watford have a great chance. Oh...Amorebieta trips Riera inside the area. The referee points to the spot and calls Amorebieta over. That looked like a clear cut opportunity. And yep, he is sent off. Fernando Amorebieta receives marching orders and Watford have a great chance here to pull one back. Fulham 2, Watford 1.

Fabio Borini steps up and SCOOORESSS!!! Watford have a lifeline. Top corner, no chance for Maarten Stekelenberg.

90' Ruiz with the ball. He plays it through for Woodrow but is fouled. Was it inside the box? Yes, it is! Daniel Tozser fouls Woodrow just inside the box. Fulham get a penalty and Tozser is booked.

Brandon Barker steps up. He is on a hat-trick. He looks calm. And HE MISSES THE PENALTY!!! Oh dear. He could've calmed the nerves of Fulham fans but he sends the penalty horribly wide.

92' Watford attack. This has to be the last attack of the game for them. Borini and Riera link up. Borini is through on goal..he shoots. And it hits the post and goes out for a goal kick. So close for Borini. So close for Watford. Fulham can breathe easy now.

The referee blows the whistle as Stekelenberg takes the goal kick. What an end to the game!
View attachment 289956 [video=dailymotion;x2kan80]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kan80_fm-15-barker-goal-vs-watford_videogames[/video]​

FULHAM IN THE NEWS

Fulham's Maarten Stekelenberg might leave Fulham. Several clubs across Europe are rumored to be willing to make a bid to Fulham. Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says Darren Trott is justified if he chooses to sell the Dutch keeper.

Van Gaal stirs controversy in the press conference after United's training session ahead of their next league game vs. Fulham at Craven cottage. United lost 4-0 to Fulham at Craven cottage in the League Cup this season and Van Gaal thinks this is time for payback and says he'll put Fulham in place.

Sources suggest that Fulham might offer a bid for Man City's Brandon Barker after the winger's excellent performances for Fulham on loan. Fulham might have to make a bid in excess of $15M to pry the winger away from City.​

Well, United got the revenge after we eliminated them from the League Cup. Woodrow gave us an early lead with a header after Baselli delivered a nice cross from the right wing. We looked good heading into half-time.
United brought on Rooney instead of van Persie at half time and he changed the game for us. He provided the much needed energy and aggression United were lacking. Mata equalized for them just before the hour mark. Their second goal came from a beautiful gameplay from Angel Di Maria as he beat three of our defenders before laying it for Falcao to nod it home. There's not much you can do as an opposition apart from sit back and clap.

They held on to their lead. Although we didn't really threaten to equalize as United really dominated the final stages of the game. I'm not too concerned with this result as I rested a couple of our key players like Barker and Balanta for this game, since the League Cup final against West Ham is just 3 days away. I even brought on Ruiz for Baselli after 50 minutes.

We slip to 7th position in the league following this defeat as Newcastle replace us at the 6th place but only on goal difference.

CAPITAL ONE CUP 2015-16: THE ROAD TO THE FINAL

Here's a look at how the two teams' progressed to the finals:

Fulham
RoundOpponentVenueScoreGoal scorers
Second roundWalsallA3-0C. Woodrow (x2), S. Kavanagh
Third roundShrewsburyA2-0L. Lawrence o.g., Roberts
Fourth roundDerbyA2-1B. Barker, B. Ruiz
Quarter FinalLiverpoolH1-0D. Bakker
Semi Final Man UnitedH,A4-2 (agg)C. Woodrow (x3), M. Lustig

West Ham
RoundOpponentVenueScoreGoal scorers
Third roundLeedsA1-0M. Zarate
Fourth roundBirminghamH3-1A. Carroll (x2), E. Valencia
Quarter FinalNewcastleA2-1M. Noble, M. Amalfitano
Semi Final SouthamptonH,A3-0 (agg)V. Moses (x2), D. Sakho

Fulham have never won the League Cup in its history. This was a great opportunity for us. West Ham aren't an easy opponent but we have the quality to see off The Hammers. The players are well rested and are raring to go. It's going to be a big game tomorrow.

We have caused two huge upsets by defeating giants Liverpool and defending champions United. It's time for the final push.

CAPITAL ONE CUP 2015-16 FINAL

We had a very young starting XI. The average age was 22.
This was the team:
M. Bettinelli, M. Lustig, E. Balanta, F. Amorebieta, K. Stafylidis, E. Hyndman, L. Christensen, P. Roberts, D. Baselli, B. Barker, C. Woodrow
Subs:
M. Stekelenberg, D. Burn, D. Bakker, B. Ruiz, K. Mitroglou, R. McCormack, S. Parker

View attachment 289932

Beautiful! We won the League Cup. Cauley Woodrow scored his second hat-trick in the competition and we were the deserving winners. We started very aggressively. We were pegging West Ham back and both our wide men made darting runs into the box. One such run by Barker was prematurely stopped when Lewis Page tripped him inside the box. And penalty! Woodrow stepped up and calmly put it away. We continued to dominate the first half.
West Ham's first real chance came in the first minute of the second half and Zarate made the most of it as he caught our defense napping and slotted it away. But our response was instant. We took the lead within 1 minute of Zarate's goal. A neat low cross by Patrick Roberts from the right was tucked away by Woodrow. We continued to press forward. West Ham were a lot more lively this half but it was our dominant gameplay that resulted in the next goal. Brandon Barker's corner from the left was headed down by Balanta into Woodrow's path who volleyed it home to complete his hat-trick. I brought in Parker to use his experience and keep calm in the midfield.
90 minutes done, 2 minutes of added time indicated. And our of nowhere, James Tomkins heads one home for West Ham to give them a tiny hope in the first minute of added time. Hyndman and Parker kept the ball and frustrated West Ham. Kevin Nolan hacked Hyndman with two feet, purely out of frustration as Hyndman just dribbled past him. Red Card for the Hammers midfielder.

And that was the last action! We won the League Cup. Sweet, sweet victory.​
e9CnFPA.jpg

Woodrow was marvelous today. So was Baselli. Well, our midfield put on an absolutely dominating performance as we had nearly 60% of the possession.​
zQHDMLQ.png

Last edited:

This was a stylish games. Five goals, and all of them were beautiful ones. We scored three in the first half - all of them were nicely built and a lot of quick, intelligent passing was involved in the build-up.
Woodrow, Roberts, Christensen and Barker were all unavailable as they went to represent their countries in the U21 championship. I was a bit worried about where the goals would come from but the lads didn't disappoint. Baselli and Ruiz, who have been our side's creative forces scored the first two where as our third came from Mitroglou as McCormack set him up very nicely. Three first half goals and we were crusing.

In the second half, Burnley turned on the style. Two beautiful goals from them - I don't like my team conceding but those were really fine goals. Smooth build-up and Danny Ings finished them off to give their side some hope. But it was too late for a comeback for Burnely. A fantastic game, nonetheless.

Baselli's goal was the highlight, as it involved a good counter-attacking gameplay by us, Lustig's impeccable cross and Baselli's overall movement.
[video=dailymotion;x2kdvor]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kdvor_fm-15-fulham-counterattack-goal-baselli_videogames[/video]​

Congrats on the cup victory mate, you're sure to be a Fulham legend!

Trott visits Stamford Bridge.

A loss to our bitter rivals - they did the double over us. We have failed to win against the bigger teams at their home grounds and it continued. Stamford Bridge was packed with fans in blue booing me and the players everytime we got involved. It was expected.

The game produced only one goal. Oscar's 25 yard shot hit the post and rebounded onto a diving Bettinelli's back before trickling over the line. It was a fantastic shot, one that deserved a goal but Bettinelli was unfortunate to be credited with the own-goal.

Woodrow was trying hos best at the other end to make something out of nothing but he couldn't score for us. His header in the 85th minute got us closest to goal as it grazed the top of the bar.

I am really itching to get one over Jose Mourinho. He is my favorite modern day coach, and it'd be sweet to get one over him. I made it clear in the post-match press conference too!

Youth contracts.

It's that time of the year again. Several youth players who came through our academy were scheduled to play our U18 squad. Me and the coaches had the big job of looking at their performance, skill and decided whether to offer the kids a youth contract.
I had my eyes set on a few players and asked my scouting staff to compile their reports as well. Two players looked very promising - Murray Norton and Mike Roper. Their stats look promising for teenagers. They have been offered youth contracts are currently in our U18 team.I am keen on building this club with players coming from the youth system. I've already earmarked Foday Nabay for a midfield role in the coming years. He is on loan at Aberdeen getting some much needed first team football.
Learning from the seniors:
I called in Baselli and Lustig, who have been really good this season and wanted them to tutor Norton and Roper respectively. All the concerned parties agreed to the tutoring situation.

3-2 times two

Our last four wins in all competitions have all ended 3-2. These were two very important games for us as Newcastle and Everton are both mid-table contenders, just like us.
While I am glad to get the maximum points from the games, we could've done a bit better defensively. We have conceded 11 goals in the last 7 games but somehow managed to win 5 of those and lose only to the big clubs like Chelsea and United.

vs. Newcastle: It was a close game and was heading towards a draw after the score at 2-2. The Coloccini made a huge mistake as he tripped Woodrow just outside the area, which saw him receive marching orders. That gave us an opportunity to push further forward and we were rewarded with the third goal which turned out to be the winner. All three goals of ours came from the wingers and Newcastle full backs were at fault for all of them. Roberts, Barker and Kacaniklic all escaped their markers way too easily to find vital space 6 yards from the goal.
Red card for Coloccini? - This was an interesting decision. It could've gone either way. It was a foul without a doubt but the referee had to make the call as to whether Colocconi was the last man. I thought we were a bit lucky with the decision going our way. Martin Jol, Newcastle manager said that the referee made the right choice. I, however, am not very sure.

vs. Everton: We were the underdogs going into this game. We were on top after the first 45 mins, and were cruising to victory after 70 minutes. Then Lukaku scored two in the space of 3 minutes. Lukaku's first was a beauty as he volleyed a cross from the right wing with both feet off the air. Lukaku's second was a header, once again coming from a right wing cross. The last 10 minutes were nervous. I strengthened our defense by bringing on Lustig, and asking him to stick with Lukaku where the Everton forward goes. We were able to control the game a little bit and came away with the victory.

Six good points but we have to stop leaking the goals, especially after putting ourselves in comfortable positions.

League table:
View attachment 289574
In sixth spot and looking good at the moment. It is mathematically impossible for us to finish outside the top 10, which is already better than the pre-season expectations. The Board should be content with this, especially after a disastrous FA Cup performance.

Ah, another loss to one of the big four. Out 10th defeat this season and 5th defeat at home. At half time, it looked like we could win against The Gunners. The boys did fine until then and stopped a lot of Arsenal attacks.

Arsenal's first shot on target came in the 51st minute and it was a goal. Asamoah, playing on the left wing volleyed a shot into the net from just inside the box. It was a fantastic strike. We came close a few times, but it was Podolski who doubled Arsenal's lead. With the game approaching the 90 minute mark, a comeback was getting harder and harder.

We couldn't find our way through. It was a hard loss to digest. The boys gave it all and for the first time ever, we had better possession and more shots than a big four club. But no win though.

Asamoah's goal was fantastic. Here's the goal:
[video=dailymotion;x2kg1uf]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kg1uf_fm-15-asamoah-goal-vs-fulham_videogames[/video]​

Last edited:
Victory for Fulham marred with serious injury to Balanta

Yay, another 3-2 victory. At this point, I am not sure what to make of it. Are the players doing this on purpose? I sure hope not. We went behind twice to a very athletic Hull team. We leveled the score twice and finally took the lead in the 43rd minute.
The second half produced no goals despite an intense performance by both teams. The only significant event in the second half was an injury to Eder Alvarez Balanta.

Balanta's Injury
I had to wait for a day to get the official physio report, as they had to do a whole bunch of tests and whatnot. It was disappointing to learn that he would be out for almost 2 months.
I'm not too worried though. We're nearing the end of the season and we are set for a finish somewhere between 5th and 8th spot. So, his injury isn't a huge deal for us. He'll be out for the season and this will give him a well-deserved break from football after some impressive performances this season.

Woodrow on fire!

View attachment 289492
View attachment 289491

Two good victories, although we had some luck in the second one.

vs. Norwich: As easy as games go. Norwich didn't threaten our goal whatsoever. They only had 2 shots at the goal (1 on target) as opposed to our 15 (8 on target). Cauley Woodrow, the 21 year old striker produced a performance of the top quality. Everytime we put the ball into Norwich's box, he was there. After scoring in the 6th minute, he won and converted a penalty in the 24th minute. He completed a well-deserved hat-trick minutes before the final whistle.

vs. Swansea: In the end, this turned out to be smooth sailing even though the scoreline indicates otherwise. Two Swansea players saw red cards and 9-man Swansea simply didn't have the numbers to put us under pressure. Woodrow once again scored the goals for us. He belted one from 15 yards to give us the lead initially. Sigurdsson, who was the only spark in an otherwise dull Swansea team equalized from a free-kick. It was only a minor set-back though as Woodrow's second goal was coming. It was only time before we took the lead again, and when we did, we held onto it to secure 3 away points.

Woodrow stats:
With 12 goals in the last 9 games, he is in top form off-late. He made a quiet start to the season but picked up his performance drastically as the season progressed.
ZrNRPRq.jpg

His 24 goals in the Premier League makes him third in the list of leading goal scorers. Alexis Sanchez (Arsenal) and Falcao (Man Utd) are ahead of Woodrow with 26 and 25 goals respectively.

Last match day - Multiple possibilities

Only focusing on the top 8 here. Sunderland, Leicester and Burnley are already relegated, but there's still some drama left at the top.

Both Arsenal and Chelsea have chances to win the league title. A win for Arsenal will see them win the title after more than 10 years. However, a defeat or a draw for Arsenal could give Chelsea a chance. Since both Chelsea and Arsenal will be playing away from home, the title race could get tricky.

United and Liverpool will end up as the third and fourth placed teams. While it's mathematically possible for City to beat Liverpool to the fourth spot, a 12 goal difference is very difficult be overturned in one set of fixtures.

We'll finish either 5th or 6th. If we get a better result than City, we can replace them as no. 5.

ddINcn3.png

So, only a draw vs. Southampton. We finish 6th in the league.

The biggest news is that Arsenal won the league title, after a 11 year wait. Chelsea, United and Liverpool are the other teams that make it the top four.

Awards:
  • Wenger won the head coach, after guiding Arsenal to their first title in 12 years.
  • Juan Mata (Man Utd) won the player of the year award.
  • Alexis Sanchez of Arsenal won the top goalscorer award with 26 goals to his name. Falcao (25 goals, Man Utd) and Woodrow (24 goals, Fulham) were second and third in the list.
  • Falcao (Man Utd) won the English players' player of the year while Christian Eriksen (Spurs) got the English players' young player of the year award.
  • Eder Alvarez Balanta featured in the Team of the season.

A look back at the season 2015-16

Overall, a great season. I am pleased, the board is pleased and the players left for the break on a happy note.

Competitions:
  • Sixth spot in the Premier League is well above what I expected. I was hoping for a finish around 10th spot. We started in a disastrous fashion by losing 1-4 and 0-6 in our first two league games. We then picked up the pace. I think those two defeats hurt our goal difference as well.
  • League Cup was a huge success. We won it and for the first time in the club's history. We caused two upsets along the way, by beating Liverpool and United (over two legs). The 4-0 victory against United, at Craven cottage was the highlight.
  • We lost our very first FA Cup match and exited the cup. To lose to Ipswich at home is something that is hard to digest. If not for our good performances in the other two competitions, my job would've been under a bit of scrutiny.
Players:
No real concerns here. Danny Bakker is clearly unhappy due to my broken promises. He puts the entire blame on me but his performances haven't really been stellar and so, I used him on a rotation basis. Oh well, whatever. If he wants to leave, so be it.
Apart from that, all the players are happy and are looking forward to the next season.

Transfers:
I brought five players last season - Danny Bakker, Brandon Barker (loan), Daniele Baselli, Mikale Lustig joined before the season and Jermaine Jones joined us during the January transfer window.
  • Daniele Baselli has been a revelation in the midfield. His creativity in the no. 10 role has been the highlight of his performances.
  • Mikael Lustig and Danny Bakker have put in solid performances too. Their versatility was really useful at times, when we had injury problems.
  • Brandon Barker, on loan from City put in some really top performances and did a wonderful job when my primary choice for left winger, Kacaniklic was injured.
  • Jermaine Jones joined us on a free transfer and provided some much needed steel and combative nature when needed.
Overall, very good dealings in the transfer window.