Status
Not open for further replies.
Brilliant story, will follow :D

Thanks mate, will be another update later tonight :)

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:44 PM ----------

BBC.png

Six of the best from Wales

Giggs-Wales.jpg

Ryan Giggs ran riot scoring 4 goals vs Luxembourg

Player/Manager Ryan Giggs was in unstoppable form on his return to International Duty. The Welsh Wizard scored 4 goals and totally controlled the game from his position.

In pre-match Ryan Giggs said that the team wanted to put a show on for the Welsh fans, they certainly achieved this. The misery began for Luxembourg when Jeff Strasser was sent off preventing a clear goal scoring opportunity after Wales Player/Manager Ryan Giggs made a forward run breaking through the line and was 1 on 1 with Lopes in the Luxembourg goal.

Things then went from bad to worse as Lopes took the result goal kick from Giggs' missed freekick and Blackpool midfielder David Vaughan won the ball from Luxembourg and played through Ryan Giggs who had made yet another forward run and he got brought down by Tom Laterza resulting in a penalty for Wales and a chance for him to have an early bath.

Giggs stepped forward to take the penalty and finished it with consummate ease, making Lopes dive the wrong way passing the ball into the left corner of the net. This was the beginning of an incredible return for the Welsh Wizard. In the 25th minute Luxembourg won a free kick inside the Welsh half and opted to push people forward in an effort to get a goal back. When the free kick was taken Swansea defender Ashley Williams headed clear for Ryan Giggs to get on the end of the ball and dribbled around the last Luxembourg defender before firing the ball into the back of the net.

Wales scored their third goal of the evening when Ashley Williams won another aerial battle and headed forward for young Wolves Striker Sam Vokes to use his strength to win the ball and charge through to place the ball past the outstretched Lopes. Wales were in complete control against 9 man Luxembourg and were passing them to death. Luxembourg must have been relieved to get in at half time with the score only 3 - 0 against them.

WalesvLuxembourgInternationalFriendlyN2aU7H3UYVAl-1.jpg

Chris Gunter battling with Luxembourg striker Daniel Alves

At the start of the second half Wales introduced the Cardiff starlet Adam Matthews for Chris Gunter to give him a chance to show what he could do. Wales continued to push men forward and it paid, in the 50th minute Sam Vokes popped up to hit is second after Tottenham sensation Gareth Bale charged down the left flank and put in a deadly cross to the far post for Sam Vokes to score a great header after beating Daniel Deville in the air.

Wales seemed comfortable when they claimed a fourth, and the pace of the game slowed slightly. Wales then made some changes bringing on Celtic midfielder Joe Ledley, Wolves midfielder David Edwards came on for Gareth Bale and Craig Bellamy respectively. Within five minutes of Joe Ledley coming on he got an assist after squaring the ball for Ryan Giggs to hit his third, and have claim a hat trick. The rout was finally completed in the 89th minute as Ryan Giggs scored the pick of the goals and his fourth to make it six after David Vaughan played him in, he used great composure to dribble the ball around the Luxembourg keeper before placing the ball in the back of the net.

WalesvLuxembourgInternationalFriendly0bE5YlTn60Nl.jpg

Craig Bellamy firing in a shot for Wales

Even the greatest optimists could not have expected such a performance from Ryan on his return to the International stage. After this match that makes it 16 goals in 65 appearances for Wales now for the number 11. Craig Bellamy after the game commented on Ryan's performance. "He was unbelievable today, no-one could have dreamed for a performance like that, he shows that at 36 he certainly isn't too old for this. If he can do it for Manchester United then he can do it for us." The ex-Wales Captain went on. "I certainly think that this should quiet a few doubters of Ryan and hopefully we can take this form into the Euro Qualifiers next month."

This performance will give Ryan confidence ahead of their Euro 2012 Qualifier vs Montenegro on 3rd September 2010.

Livetextandstats.png

Wednesday 11 August 2010
Friendly

Wales 6 - 0 Luxembourg __________FT
Giggs (pen 16, 25, 74, 89) ___________
Vokes (37, 50) ____________________

Lineup.png

Stats.png

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

BBC.png

Post Match Press Conference - Wales vs Luxembourg

GiggsInterview.png

Ryan Giggs has hosted a press conference speaking about the fantastic 6 - 0 victory against Luxembourg in his debut in management and his first International match for 3 years.

BBC Sport: Ryan, you can't have ever thought this would happen, its an absolute dream return to International football.

Ryan: I am delighted with the way the team played and its a great feeling to have scored 4 goals in front of the Welsh fans here at Parc - Y - Scarlets. I felt we really put on a show for them tonight.

The Sun: Ryan how much do you put this result down to the fact that the opposition had two players sent off?

Ryan: I felt that we were bossing the game and the two sendings off prevented us from potentially scoring two early goals any way, so I feel that the result was just and that we had some great performers.

The Mirror Sam Vokes certainly impressed for you today, you must be delighted how the 21 year old carried himself and managed to bag 2 goals for himself.

Ryan: Its a fantastic day for the boy, he really did play well and I felt that he would have probably got another goal if I had kept him on, but its all about rotation I need to see how players will play and then we can decide what the best first team will be.

BBC Sport: David Vaughan was also a standout performer in midfield providing 2 goals for you.

Ryan: David is an outstanding talent, he is an incredible passer of the ball and its great to have someone like him in the engine room. Every team needs a player like him, we have some other players in this model, Andy King who played alongside him is a great passer of the ball and there is of course Aaron Ramsey who I hope will be available for the next squad.

The Sun: Ryan, its easy to talk about the whole team but the stand out performer and shining light out there today was yourself. How long do you think you can continue on for?

Ryan: Well I'm not thinking about retirement I would love to help the team qualify for Euro 2012 and play in that competition. I don't want to think about anything beyond that but I will keep going for as long as I feel I can still contribute to the team.

TalkSport: I am sure that you cannot wait for the next competitive match coming against Montenegro.

Ryan: Montenegro despite being a small nation much like us do have quality players, and the match is away from home so it will certainly be a challenge, but I do look forward to it.

TalkSport: Ryan, you now return to play for Manchester United do you still remain completely motivated to play for them?

Ryan: Of course, Manchester has been my home for the last 21 years, I am still 100% committed to Manchester United, and we are looking to win the Premier League Title back from Chelsea. There's a good feeling around the team that we can get it back.

BBC Sport: Thanks for your time.

---------- Post added at 05:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 AM ----------

1562.jpg

Thursday 12th August 2010

_40965905_giggs1.jpg

Ryan Giggs leading Wales out against Luxembourg

Wales yesterday played their first match under new manager Ryan Giggs. It was undoubtedly a great day for Welsh Football, which in recent years has been suffering with attendances dropping under the management of John Toshack. Parc - Y - Scarlets was completely sold up with fans eagerly anticipating the return of the Welsh Wizard.

The fans certainly weren't disappointed when Ryan Giggs came out of the match with 4 goals and 21 year old Sam Vokes ended up with 2 goals. It was a fantastic performance and something that fans will not forget for along time. Ryan Giggs also broke the record for number of goals scored by a single player for Wales in this masterful performance from the 36 year old. With other players still to be given the opportunity to come forward and play with long term injury Jack Collison reported to return after Christmas, and Aaron Ramsey will be available for the first Qualifier versus Montenegro.

Ryan Giggs after the game praised Swansea defender Ashley Williams after the match. "Ashley is a player of great quality and I am sure that he and James Collins will develop a great partnership over the coming months. It is important for us to get some consistency in our selections because that has been the problem for us, we have a spine of strong players and its important that these play every game for us."

It is also reported that Ryan Giggs has contacted Robbie Savage with regards to coming out of international retirement. It has been thought by many pundits that sometimes under Toshack they lacked experience in certain circumstances, and it is thought that Rob will be able to provide that experience when its required, if not on the pitch then in the dressing room.

Robbie Savage has openly spoken about his desire to come out of retirement and help new boss Ryan Giggs in his efforts to turn Wales successes around.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 AM ----------

Walessite.png

Robbie Savage announces return from retirement

01041457534000.jpg

Robbie Savage previously made 39 appearances for Wales scoring 2 goals

Today Ryan Giggs has announced that Robbie Savage will return to the Wales squad after 5 years of absence after a bust up with previous boss John Toshack.

Ryan Giggs intends to include Robbie Savage in his 26 man squad for the coming Euro 2012 qualifier against Montenegro after the Derby midfielder had openly indicated that he was willing to come out of international retirement in a bid to aide the new Wales boss.

Robbie Savage previously made himself unavailable for selection after he revealed that he had several disagreements with then Wales boss John Toshack. Robbie Savage was quoted as saying 'John Toshack said it was my way of the highway - well I'm on the M56."

The midfielder, capped 39 times, has since focused on his club career for clubs Blackburn and Derby County. Ryan Giggs had been in conversation with new Assistant Manager Mike Phelan and they had come to the conclusion that the squad lacked experience in certain areas. Robbie Savage seems to fit the bill and has announced that he is delighted to be given the opportunity to play for Wales again.

"I feel honoured, its a great feeling to represent your country, I plan on using my experience and will help Ryan and the team in every way that I can." Robbie said in an interview with South Wales Echo journalist Tom Williams. "I feel that we have a great chance of qualifying for Euro 2012, and its important that we put in a strong performance against Montenegro next week."

BC2ABAF8-E371-725B-8DC5B9D9C7A5CA3E.jpg

Robbie Savage has never been scared of putting in a tackle

It is thought that as well as providing experience to a Welsh squad with an average age of 24. Robbie Savage can also provide Wales with an added steel to the midfield that the midfield has lacked over the past years.

This addition to the squad as been regarded as a good decision after Fulham midfielder Simon Davies announced his retirement earlier in the season and has since declared his commitment to Fulham. "I feel that my international career is over, I have enjoyed playing for my country and admire what Ryan is doing there but feel its time to give new players their opportunity." Simon also commented on Robbie Savage's return to the Welsh Squad. "Robbie was always a great player to have playing alongside you, he has played over 300 games in the Premier League and that experience will be invaluable to the otherwise young midfield that Wales have.

It has been reported that Ryan Giggs will be announcing the squad for the game against Montenegro in the next couple of days.

Last edited:
Savage has put in more than one savage tackle ;)

Great story with incredible detail. I'm loving it. :)

Awesome updates since i last checked up mate!" love the work gone into this! all the MOTD pictures and everythings! giggs playing and captain! scoring 4 though so why not! Awesome read will be following more now :) KIU!

Savage has put in more than one savage tackle ;)

Great story with incredible detail. I'm loving it. :)

Thanks mate, will have more updates coming later tonight, and yeh savage was certainly and still is controversial haha!!!

How did you get Savage out of retirement? I tried everything to get Barry Ferguson (I'm playing Scotland btw) out but he wouldn't return for Scotland.

Awesome updates since i last checked up mate!" love the work gone into this! all the MOTD pictures and everythings! giggs playing and captain! scoring 4 though so why not! Awesome read will be following more now :) KIU!

Thanks mate, yeh I wanted to put alot of detail in the story to give it a good edge, always trying to think of new side stories that I can put in to keep the interest up, alongside of the obvious qualifying campaign.

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

How did you get Savage out of retirement? I tried everything to get Barry Ferguson (I'm playing Scotland btw) out but he wouldn't return for Scotland.

Haha Savage is 36, some players I think are more reluctant to come out of retirement and I don't think you can get certain ones out. Savage is just one of those who is more inclined despite his old age. To get Giggs out of retirement I just edited in the FM2011 editor, just to make the story for exciting with him being in the team as well as management side of it.

well its working because im interested in this story now mate :) will check back tonight :D

well its working because im interested in this story now mate :) will check back tonight :D

Good times will make sure to get some new tasty updates done. Got a few ideas in the pipeline.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

Walessite.png

Wales Squad Announced

Wales-1.png

Ryan Giggs has today named his 26 man squad for the Euro 2012 Qualifier away trip at Montenegro

The main shock included in Ryan Giggs' second Wales squad is the inclusion of Robbie Savage as it will be an opportunity for fans to see the tenacious central midfielder back in action after being coaxed out of international retirement

GOALKEEPERS:

1438798320-soccer-fifa-world-cup-2010-qualifying-round-group-four-wales-1.jpg

Wayne Hennessey looks to be securing his position as first choice

Wayne Hennessey (Wolves)
Jason Brown (Blackburn)
Boaz Myhill (West Brom)

DEFENDERS

Williams_2385175.jpg

Ashley Williams looks to build on an impressive performance in his last appearance

Neal Eardley (Blackpool)
Chris Gunter (Blackburn)
Sam Ricketts (Fulham)
Adam Matthews (Cardiff)
Darcy Blake (Cardiff)
Danny Collins (Stoke)
James Collins (Aston Villa)
Ashley Williams (Swansea)
Neil Taylor (Swansea)

MIDFIELDERS

SAVAGE.png

Robbie Savage returns after a 5 year absence

Gareth Bale (Tottenham Hotspur)
Robbie Savage (Derby County)
Joe Ledley (Celtic)
Aaron Ramsey (Cardiff)
David Edwards (Wolves)
Craig Bellamy (Cardiff)
Ryan Giggs (Manchester United)
Andy King (Leicester)
Joe Allen (Swansea)
David Jones (Wolves)

FORWARDS

vokes_801908c1.jpg

Sam Vokes included again after a strong performance against Luxembourg

Rob Earnshaw (Nottingham Forrest)
Ched Evans (Sheffield United)
Sam Vokes (Wolves)
Simon Church (Reading)

Ryan Giggs has since spoken about the inclusion of Robbie Savage. "I feel he is a great addition to the squad, and his experience will be vital the squad is largely the same as the previous as I felt that we performed extremely well and look to build on that performance."

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

Talksprot.png

Daniel Gabbidon launches scathing attack on Wales Boss

danny-gabbidon_1476754c.jpg

In the wake of the announcement of the Wales squad Daniel Gabbidon he has launched an attack on inexperienced Wales Boss Ryan Giggs.

"He clearly doesn't know what he is doing, as much as I respect Ryan as a player I feel he is certainly out of his depth at management. I feel that I should be regarded as a first team member of the Wales squad, and at least included in the squad." This comes as Wales Boss has not included Daniel Gabbidon for the second successive squad that has been named and speaking to TalkSport he is clearly not happy with this decision.

"I feel that he has left other key players out of the squad, and has included Robbie Savage in the squad, who is clearly past his best and doesn't have the legs for International Football." Daniel Gabbidon went on to say "I will be proved right when Wales lose away to Montenegro the squad he has taken does not have the experience to deal with them, despite being a small footballing nation."

Welsh Centre Back Daniel Gabbidon has played 43 times for his country but has endured a torrid time over the last 3 years after suffering from a chest injury that put him out for 16 months. Since his return he has not been a main feature in the West Ham side that is currently languishing in 16th place in the league after losing 2 out of their first 3 league games this season.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Skysportslogo.png

Tuesday 31st August 2010

linebreak.png

Wales starlet ruled out of Euro 2012 Qualifier

article-0-0736FD56000005DC-451_468x302.jpg

Aaron Ramsey is one of Wales' top prospects

Sky Sports sources have reported that Aaron Ramsey has been ruled out of the game qualifier against Montenegro and Friendly vs Kuwait the following week after suffering an groin straight

The young Welsh starlet had recently declared his delight at being included in the squad for the match against Montenegro but it now looks like his return to International football will have to wait for the Home match against Bulgaria in October.

Aaron Ramsey has made 11 appearances for Wales and scored 2 goals and before his suffering a horrific injury last season away to Stoke he had broken into the Arsenal first team. At the age of 19 it is the belief that the future of Welsh football will have to be built around the players like Aaron.

So far this season Aaron Ramsey has been performing well for Cardiff City where he is on loan in a bid to build up fitness before returning to Arsenal in February. He has already scored 2 goals in 6 appearances for the Blue Birds as they target promotion to the Premier League.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Skysportslogo.png

Montenegro vs Wales

300px-PGStadium.jpg

Welcome to Sky Sports coverage of Montenegro vs Wales, where Wales will be hoping to start their Euro 2012 campaign off with a win.

You join us in Montenegro at Stadion Pod Goricom, where Wales hope to get their qualification campaign started. The team sheet has just arrived in, here it is.

WalesvsLuxembourg.png

As you can see its the same 11 that hammered Luxembourg last month, with the changes mostly being made on the bench. We will get opinion on the match in a moment but we hear that Ryan Giggs has just come out to host his pre-match conference.

Montenegro vs Wales - Pre Match Press Conference

610x.jpg

Sky Sports interview Jeff Shreaves is in place and ready to ask Ryan Giggs questions on the up coming match.

Jeff: Ryan after naming the same first 11 that played in the game vs Luxembourg what is the thinking behind this?

Ryan: Well I felt that we played extremely well in the game and that we had good balance so I feel that its important to get some consistency in the team selections.

Jeff: What are your thoughts on Aaron Ramsey's injury that see's him miss your next two internationals.

Ryan: Aaron will certainly be a miss, as he is a fantastic talent, but Andy King and David Vaughan did a fantastic job for us against Luxembourg and I have every confidence in them tonight. Winning tonight's game is my focus now.

BBC Sport: Ryan you have included Robbie Savage on the bench will you be looking to giving him some game time?

Ryan: All of the players that are chosen on the bench are there because I believe that they can make an impact, and its my decision as to what time and what player I feel suitable at the time.

Jeff: You face a Montenegro that defeated Northern Ireland 3 - 2 last month Mirko Vucinic is seen as their star player surely one of the main jobs today will be keeping him quiet.

Ryan: Mirko is certainly a good player, but its dangerous to solely focus on any one player as this can then leave space for other players to take advantage of, Stevan Jovetic is also a dangerous player and despite being a small nation they do have some quality there so we will have to be careful today.

The Mirror: Ryan what do you make of Daniel Gabbidons comment's earlier in the week regarding your decision to leave him out of the squad on the second occasion?

Ryan: Daniel is open to his opinion, but I feel that I am just here to be talking about the players I have chosen to bring with me to Montenegro and answer questions regarding the game.

The Sun: Ryan what is the game plan for today's game?

Ryan: Well I feel that we have some strong passers of the ball in the squad and we will be looking to control the game and get players forward when ever possible. We are of course looking to win this game as I believe that we have the quality to give any team in the world a game.

The Sun: With young Sam Vokes leading the line tonight he must be relishing the chance after performing so well in the last game against Luxembourg.

Ryan: Sam is a great talent he is an physically and mentally strong person, he has the desire to work hard for the team and will be an important player for us in our qualification campaign.

Jeff: Thanks Ryan, good luck tonight.

Well that concludes the pre-match press conference from Ryan its now time to pass over to Jeff Stelling and the boys at the studio for further analysis.

Soccer Saturday Pundits opinion on Montenegro v Wales

Gillette-Soccer-Saturday-001.jpg

Jeff Stelling and the boys talk about the coming Wales match, lineup and the return of Robbie Savage.

Jeff opened the programme with, "Welcome to the Soccer Special where we are talking about Wales and their qualification campaign, Phil what do you make of their chances in the game tonight?"

"Well Jeff, I feel that they have got a great opportunity to get off to a great start in the qualification campaign. Ryan certainly has given the whole team a lift since coming out of retirement I know it was only Luxembourg that they destroyed last month, but the team were playing as a team and there was a cohesion that we haven't seen from Wales in the past."

Charlie Nicholas voiced his opinions on the Wales lineup and formation. "Well I think this formation that they play the 4 - 4 - 1 - 1 has the possibility of being great for them, Ryan Giggs surrenders his position on the left flank and comes inside, where he is used to playing as he has done many times for Manchester United to play the role just behind the striker. He is great at finding space and can bring other players into the game, with Montenegro not being the strongest defensively I think that this really gives Wales a chance today."

Jeff turned to Matt Le Tissier and asked, "Matt what do you make of Robbie Savage coming out of retirement at the age of 36, he makes the bench today but Ryan hinted in his press conference that there might be a chance for him to come on at some point tonight."

"Well Jeff, I think that he has certainly been a controversial character over the years but he is extremely determined and is certainly experienced, and that is what Wales might need as the game gets on if they need to hold onto a result. I am however disgusted at Daniel Gabbidons comments earlier in the week, I frankly don't think he good enough for West Ham let alone Wales' squad."

That's all that we've got time for now, the teams are just on their way out, with Giggs leading Wales out for his first competitive match as Wales boss. What a game this has the chance of being.

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Skysportslogo.png

Wales start campaign with a win

35190_news.jpg

Sam Vokes was the outstanding performer against Montenegro

Wales brushed aside Montenegro in their away trip as they get their Euro 2012 campaign off to a winning start, with 21 year old Sam Vokes picking up his 3rd goal in 2 games under new boss Ryan Giggs.

Ryan Giggs spoke pre-match with regards to dominating the ball and not allowing Montenegro to settle, and they certainly managed to achieve this. Wales put Montenegro on the back foot from the first minute when Gareth Bale burst down the left flank to the byline to put in a great cross just Bozovic in goal managed to palm it clear. This was a sign of things to come as Wales continued to pile on the pressure.

balewales.png

Gareth Bale was a threat all game for Wales

Montenegro had some a good chance in the 15th minute when Mirko Vucinic worked himself into the box but fired the ball straight at Wayne Hennessey in goal for Wales. Immediately from the resulting throw Ryan Giggs got into space on the edge of the Montenegro box to fire narrowly over the bar.

The goal finally came in the 34th minute when from a goal kick Ryan Giggs headed the ball on for Sam Vokes to chase, Bozovic came off his line and managed to get to the ball first but Sam put in a great challenge and won the ball and slid the ball into an empty net to make it 1 - 0 Wales.

Montenegro didn't wait long to retaliate as from a freekick near the corner flag the ball fell to Mirko Vucinic on the edge of the area with no-one closing him down quick enough to fire into the far corner past an outstretched Hennessey. Just before half time Ryan Giggs, charged through the Montenegro defence before squaring the ball for Leicester's Andy King to fire in his first goal for Wales.

The second half started in the worse possible way for Montenegro after just 20 seconds and a wonderful flowing move Sam Vokes played in David Vaughan to fire the ball past Bozovic to make it 3 - 1 for Wales.

92b53a7180858fb6349a6bf2ef1897ec.jpg

Robbie Savage returned after a 5 year absence for Wales

This visibly knocked a lot out of Montenegro who were left chasing shadows for much of the game. Welsh fans will be delighted as the returning Robbie Savage came on in the 58th minute to replace goalscorer Andy King, who was delighted to score his first International goal for Wales. "It's an unbelievable feeling, I feel fantastic but it was all down to Ryan, he put in a great performance for us today, he drove through their defence and then completed the move by sending a great pass across the goal for me to slot home."

Robbie Savage was also delighted to have made his come back. "It was amazing out there, the travelling Welsh fans were excellent, and I have missed this so much, I am looking forward to playing for Wales in the coming games, and its great to be involved again." This result puts Wales at the top of the group after England only managed to beat Bulgaria 2 - 1.

montenegroresult.png

MontenegrovWalesSplitView.png

Stats-1.png

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Skysportslogo.png

Post Match Press Conference - Montenegro vs Wales

340x-1-1.jpg

Ryan Giggs is about to host a press conference speaking about his sides 3 - 1 victory away at Montenegro in a match that puts them top of Group E.

Jeff: Ryan what are your thoughts after the match?

Ryan: I am delighted with the performance I felt we bossed the game and could have scored more, it was justice for us when Sam scored the first in the 34th minute, we could have had a few more before then, I went close with a shot just over the bar.

Jeff: What were your thoughts when Mirko put the score to 1 - 1 with that shot from the edge of the box?

Ryan: Well he is certainly a quality player, I think we went to sleep for a minute and didn't close him down as quickly as we should have and it resulted in them scoring, we are working on these factors though and its just about getting a strong team understanding.

BBC Sport: Ryan how important was it that Andy King got the goal for you just before the break?

Ryan: It was incredibly important we deserved to go in with a lead, so I was delighted for Andy to get the goal, that's his first for Wales and I'm sure there will be many more to come.

BBC Sport: Ryan that goal was largely down to a driving run that you made beating defenders and then putting a ball into a great area.

Ryan: Well I know that if I can get the ball into certain areas of the pitch then it sparks panic in the defence and if I get the ball in that area, we've got several players who can get into the space, and I'm delighted for young Andy that he's got the goal he deserved.

BBC Sport: Ryan you brought on Robbie Savage on in the second half, and he looked solid in possession and strengthened up the midfield at the right time many might say.

Ryan: I am delighted to have a player of Robbie's experience come into the squad, and its when you've got a lead that its important to make sure that you don't give away possession and I feel that Robbie will be a great addition to the squad, and be able to continue contributing to us.

The Sun: With a friendly coming up in mid-week against Kuwait will we see any changes for that match?

Ryan: I will be considering making changes but at the moment I feel its important for us to develop an understanding and will field a team that will allow us to develop, as I feel that over the years we have had too much chopping and changing so we need to be develop a spine of the team and then can build around that.

Jeff: Thank you for your time Ryan.

Another win! and one that starts your campaign off perfectly! bargain! keep it up :)

BBC.png

Kuwait vs Wales

4128077352_9c3a9811a3_z.jpg

Welcome to Match of the Days coverage of Wales' friendly against Kuwait in the Jaber Al-Ahmad International Stadium where they will be looking to make it 3 international victories on the bounce.

You join us in Kuwait where Ryan Giggs' men are looking to secure victory against one of Football's lesser known nations, many people would be expecting this to be the prime time to rotate the lineup but Ryan has stuck with the same team that he has played in the previous two internationals against Luxembourg and Montenegro. Here is the team sheet once again.

WalesvsLuxembourg.png

"Well I think we are certainly starting to see what Ryan's first choice team will be, although they do have some players to return from injury for example, Aaron Ramsey, Jack Collison to name a few, but I agree with Ryan in that its important for the team to have an understanding so that they can perform well together." Alan Shearer said, "It's a game where Ryan could have just experimented but that could have been a waste if he didn't think those players would be starting in his plans against Bulgaria next month."

Gary Lineker then asked a question, "Mark, what makes Giggs so vitally important to the way that Wales is lined up now, in this 4 - 4 - 1 - 1 that has made them so successful in their first 2 games?"

MontenegrovWalesAnalysis_Analysis.png

Well if we look at this heat map of where Giggs spent most of his time we can see that he is staying in the centre of the pitch allowing Craig Bellamy and Gareth Bale to bomb on either side so he can play the ball around from the centre. This allows him to drop into that space just inbetween the midfield and the defence. This then leaves a dilemma as to whether one of the centre backs will come out to pick him up or stay deep and ignore him. In this match we can see that they chose to ignore him and this resulted in Ryan bombing through the defence and getting that vital cross to Andy King. I wouldn't be surprised if we see something similar today or Ryan actually scoring from one of these positions. This formation also benefits from an extremely strong striker in Sam Vokes, who isn't scared of putting in a tackle as we saw in the last game, and is quite happy working up there by himself.

Any way here's the pre-match interview with Ryan before he leads them out.

BBC.png

Kuwait vs Wales - Pre-Match Comments

GiggsInterview.png

"Tonight's going to be a tricky game, coming to face Kuwait in their own back yard and we will look to get all 3 points, the team I've named is in fact the same as twice before, I feel that we are really developing a fantastic understanding and that it's vital we continue to develop this."

linebreak.png

BBC.png

Wales labour to 3 - 0 victory

_48703360_king766.jpg

Andy King netted his second goal in 2 games for Wales

Wales laboured to victory, with Gareth Bale, Andy King and Ryan Giggs scoring for the Reds.

Ryan Giggs today named the same squad for the third consecutive international as they travelled to face a Kuwait side that were fired up and ready for a match with the visitors. Wales nearly got off to the dream start after Sam Vokes was played through by David Vaughan but couldn't capitalise on his opportunity firing wide from a tight angle.

For long periods of the first half Wales dominated possession but could not capitalise, it looked like they might break the deadlock in the 8th minute when Ryan Giggs dribbled past 3 defenders to slam a shot straight into the body of the Kuwait goalkeeper, then in the 9th minute it was the turn of Sam Vokes to squander a fabulous chance when Gareth Bale put a fabulous cross into a lethal area, but Sam could only pass the ball into the keeper after not making solid contact with the ball.

Wales continued to push forward as in the 10th minute Chris Gunter put a great cross to the far post for Gareth Bale to narrowly miss a great headed effort that clipped the outside of the post and out for a goal kick. Wales created several more opportunities but ended up heading in at half time with the score 0 - 0.

Wales came out in the second half and decided to push men more men forward early on in the second half in the 56th minute Ryan Giggs had a great effort stopped by the keeper punching it out for a corner. Kuwaits survival was short lived however as from the resulting Ryan Giggs corner the ball whizzed in and of all people Gareth Bale was there to head in past the keeper to make it 1 - 0 to Wales. It was deserved and once again the Welsh Wizard proved the quality set pieces that he can deliver. The second goal came 3 minutes later when David Vaughan made some space for himself before passing to Leicester's Andy King on the edge of the box for him to unleash a venomous shot past the outstretched keeper.

The final goal came in the 85th minute when Ryan Giggs latched onto a great pass from Gareth Bale to dribble between two defenders before unleashing a fabulous shot that went in on the bar the keeper didn't stand a chance. Wales will be delighted with the ease that they won this game but felt that they could have been slightly more clinical.

Livetextandstats.png

Wednesday 8th September 2010
Friendly

Kuwait 0 - 3 Wales __________FT
Bale (58)
King (61)
Giggs (85)

Lineup-1.png

Stats-2.png

BBC.png

Post Match Reaction

610x.jpg

"Overall another strong performance from the team, the understanding is growing and I feel we are certainly ready for the upcoming challenge in October. I am delighted for young Andy King to get his second in two games, He is in great form and continues to find space. Gareth also capped his performance with a goal and I am overjoyed with the way the team are developing together. Now its time to go back into club mode and continue to push at Manchester United."

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Another win! and one that starts your campaign off perfectly! bargain! keep it up :)

Cheers mate, got Bulgaria next then Switzerland, amongst a few friendlies, looking forward to the game against England in March that should be a fun game, put tough no doubt haha!!!

Yet again a pure brilliant update! with the graphical detail and everything! good result again keeping another clean sheet! 2wins now sounds perfect start mate! KIU

Yet again a pure brilliant update! with the graphical detail and everything! good result again keeping another clean sheet! 2wins now sounds perfect start mate! KIU

Cheers mate :) will get the other update done before night is over.

Yeh will do mate just been watching United play, but that game wasn't that exciting so time to do an update now!!

Was rather boring i must say (Y) United parked the bus same old :L okay will look back shortly :)

Was rather boring i must say (Y) United parked the bus same old :L okay will look back shortly :)

Certainly was lol!!! Being Wales Manager would be great if there was more depth as could have more controversy when making squad selections!! Hopefully some good regens come in at the end of the season!!! Going to be scouring the national pool for those at the end of the season.

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 AM ----------

Walessite.png

Wales prepare for Euro 2012 fixtures

Liberty_Stadium_005.jpg

Wales have joined up at Swansea City's training facilities

The Welsh Squad has joined up in Swansea to prepare for the coming fixture against Bulgaria before travelling to Switzerland.

Ryan Giggs, has announced the squad for the coming fixtures against Bulgaria and Switzerland with Aaron Ramsey coming in, other than that there were no shocks. At the Swansea City training ground Ryan Giggs has been analysing the fitness levels of the team and is likely to name the same squad that faced Montenegro as Aaron Ramsey is struggling to recover from an ankle injury picked up when playing for Cardiff City, he is likely to face a late fitness test to see whether he will be able to play against Bulgaria. Robbie Savage is likely to be named on the bench as Ryan Giggs favours Andy King in midfield as he feels he is a more attack minded player and Wales are going out to win this game.

ManchesterUnitedTrainingPressConference9i565b2GHyal.jpg

Ryan Giggs pictured training with the Welsh Squad

Ryan Giggs will be looking to press home and get a win against a Bulgaria side that has struggled in recent years, they will be without striker Valeri Bojinov after he suffered a broken cheekbone in a match for Parma. Bojinov has been Bulgaria's stand out player in their last 3 games scoring 2 goals. Ex-Manchester United midfielder and now Coach Nicky **** has been training with the Wales squad.

nicky-butt_1767277b.jpg

Nicky **** pictured with the Wales squad

Nicky **** spoke to a South Wales Evening Post Journalist ahead of the match against Bulgaria on Friday. "I feel honoured to work alongside Ryan again, its incredible watching him in training, he looks just as good as he ever did when he was in his early 20's. The team are buoyed by the recent results against Montenegro, Kuwait and Luxembourg and are really looking forward to going out there and beating Bulgaria." Nicky **** went on, "There is a real zip in training, there are some really talented players here Gareth Bale is looking especially sharp and we are all looking forward with anticipation to the match."

Ryan Giggs will be hosting a pre-match press conference tomorrow ahead of the Friday's match with Bulgaria.

Nice update again buddy :) like it,hope you get a result against Bulgaria!! yer i think you need to search around a bit for good youth talent from wales! Just updated mine mate :)

Nice update again buddy :) like it,hope you get a result against Bulgaria!! yer i think you need to search around a bit for good youth talent from wales! Just updated mine mate :)

Okay I'll take a look I'm on half doing the actual Bulgaria match its quite a big update as I feel its important to go into depth with the few matches I have to actually play haha!!! I'll take a look now.

Okay I'll take a look I'm on half doing the actual Bulgaria match its quite a big update as I feel its important to go into depth with the few matches I have to actually play haha!!! I'll take a look now.

Yer exactly as you don't have many games you got a lot of time to update and go to detail i suppose :) can;t wait to see update :D

BBC.png

Wales vs Bulgaria

Liberty_Stad_Swan.jpg

Welcome to Match of the Day's coverage of Wales' second Euro 2012 Qualifier against a Bulgarian side that are missing a number of key players.

You join us at Liberty Stadium, the new 20,000 seater stadium in Swansea, ahead of a match Wales are determined to win to put their stamp on the group. Winning this game will put Wales on 6 points and really set them on their way of showing their promotion credentials. Ryan Giggs has released his team sheet for the coming match and it is indeed the same squad that faced Kuwait a month ago.

WalesvsLuxembourg.png

Robbie Savage is on the bench for Wales and will no doubt be hoping to come on for Wales at some point. The best news for the Wales fans will be the news that Cardiff loanee Aaron Ramsey has recovered from an ankle injury to come on the bench, Ryan Giggs will no doubt be looking to give him a chance tonight at some point.

Its now time to pass over to BBC Sport reporter Jonathan Pearce who is with Ryan Giggs ahead of tonight's match.

linebreak.png

BBC.png

Wales vs Bulgaria - Pre Match Interview

Giggs_415.jpg

Jonathan: I'm here with Ryan Giggs ahead of tonight's match against Bulgaria, Ryan what is the game plan for tonight's match?

Ryan: We will be looking at taking the game to Bulgaria I feel that we can really get in their faces and not give them a chance to play their game, they have lined up in a narrow 4 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 2, which will allow us to use our width to cause them trouble.

Jonathan: With Aaron Ramsey on the bench Welsh fans will no doubt be eagerly anticipating his return.

Ryan: I am delighted that he managed to recover to be named on the bench it was a worry as he had to have a late fitness test, I felt its important to name the first team that are used to playing together to start the game off, but I'm sure that we will be able to give him a chance later in the game.

Jonathan: Thanks Ryan and good luck tonight.

linebreak.png

BBC.png

Match of the Day Pundits on Wales' Chances

article-1025830-017D09EC00000578-572_468x370-2.jpg

Gary Lineker begins the question by asking Alan Hansen "Alan you must be regretting your comments earlier in the year regarding Ryan Giggs return to International football and management."

"Well no doubt Wales have had some great results, and Ryan has certainly shown potential in the managerial role he has undertaken, he certainly seems tactically adept and without Valeri Bojinov Bulgaria are looking short of fire power so Wales will be looking to win the game today."

Mark Lawrenson commented on his player to watch, "I feel that the player that you fans at home should be keeping your eye on is Gareth Bale, with the narrow formation that Bulgaria have named this will play into his hands and give him too much space to utilise down the left flank."

Player to watch: Gareth Bale

linebreak.png

Gareth Bale Fact File

Gareth-Bale-9.jpg

Caps: 27
Int. Goals: 3

Gareth Bale has really come to the forefront in 2010, showing great promise for Tottenham Hotspur and Wales. He has recently spoken about the appointment of Ryan Giggs as Wales Boss. "I am overjoyed with this, Ryan Giggs is my idol and I plan on becoming a Welsh Legend like him, and continue where he left off, once he does eventually retire. I feel that this Welsh squad is showing great promise and everyone is 100% behind him."

---------- Post added at 04:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 AM ----------

BBC.png

Wales meet expectations in dominant win

_42739971_wales2.jpg

Gareth Bale scored a tidy finish late on in the game to put gloss on a Wales victory

Ryan Giggs again picked up Man of the Match for Wales after providing assists for 3 of Wales' 4 goals. A victory that puts Wales at the top of Group G on 6 points with a goal difference of +6.

In a match described as a must win game by Ryan Giggs, Wales certainly showed what they are capable of. Wales started as they meant to go on after Sam Vokes forced a good save from Bulgarian goal keeper Mihaylov. [It was in the 17th minute when Wales broke the deadlock after Ryan Giggs' set piece ability shone through after David Vaughan made a darting run to the near post to fire in a volley from a fine corner.

Gareth Bale was on fire down the left flank, constantly a threat causing right back Manolev no end of trouble. Wales scored their second after Gareth Balem played a great ball over the top to Sam Vokes who put a cross in for Ryan Giggs, who got brought down to gain a penalty for Wales. Craig Bellamy stepped up to take the resulting penalty and fired it to the right of the outstretched keeper. Craig Bellamy was forced off in the 27th minute after suffering a dead leg, with Wolves midfielder David Edwards coming on to replace him.

The Welsh defence were on top of what Bulgaria could throw at them with young Matt Taylor at left back putting in a great shift winning a number of tackles and preventing Iliev from having any success down the right flank.

Wales came out in the second half without making any changes and looked to press home their advantage. The goal finally came after a great build up Gareth Bale crossed to the far post for substitute David Edwards to fire in at the far post to make it 3 - 0 to Wales. Ryan Giggs was at the heart of Wales' fourth after picking up the ball in space and playing a fantastic ball cutting the Bulgarian defence in two leaving Gareth Bale to fire home from a tight angle to make it 4 - 0.

a307334d5b68d308b60810335aff-grande.jpg

Ryan Giggs put in a man of the match performance for Wales

Welsh fans let out a great cheer when Aaron Ramsey came on in the 72nd minute for David Vaughan who put in a great shift in central midfield for Wales. Aaron Ramsey in his time on the pitch looked tidy in possession put himself about for the remainder of the game.

Bulgaria's worst fears were realised after Captain Stiliyan Petrov was sent off for a two footed tackle on midfield maestro Ryan Giggs. Wales however were unable to capitalise on Bulgaria being down to 10 men and the match ended 1 - 0.

This performance will give Wales a great lift ahead of their away trip to Switzerland on Tuesday 12th October 2010.

Livetextandstats.png

Friday 8th October 2010
Euro 2012 Qualifier

Wales 4 - 0 Bulgaria __________FT
Vaughan (17) _______Stiliyan Petrov sent off (78)
Bellamy (pen 24)______________________
Edwards (61)______________________
Bale (72)______________________

Lineup-2.png

Stats-3.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.