eddybw

Reaction score
A Ryan Giggs Story
Using LFC Marshall's January Update

Walessite.png

JOHN TOSHACK SACKED AS WALES MANAGER

John-Toshack_2089877.jpg

John Toshack has been relieved of his duties as Wales Boss

Many Welsh fans greet this news with joy as they felt that the development of the national team had halted somewhat under the leadership of John Toshack. After failing to qualify for a major competition under his management The Welsh FA felt that it was time to make some changes.

After poor qualification campaigns for Euro 2008 and World Cup 2010, winning only 10 of his 29 qualifiers losing 16, many Welsh fans had lost patience with Toshack believing that the team had alot more to give and that the tactics were not worthy of gaining victories.

The FAW Chief Executive Jonathan Ford has released a statement on the sacking of John Toshack. "We would like to thank John for the work that he has done for Wales, but we feel that it is time for a new direction and look to make the right appointment for the future and growth of Wales as a footballing nation."

There are lots of names being thrown around who are in competition for the post. SkyBet has announced that the main contenders for the position are Ian Rush at 3/1, Chris Coleman at 5/1, Brian Flynn at 10/1, John Hartson at 25/1 and a rank outsider Ryan Giggs at a massive 75/1.

John Toshack released a statement after his departure. "I am proud to say that I led the Welsh Team and feel that I did the best possible job that I could have done."​

Last edited:
Nice OP mate! Keep Going, When you planning on next updating?

Later tonight, won't be long

---------- Post added at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 AM ----------

BBC.png

IAN RUSH CLAIMS HE COULD DO WALES JOB

Ian-Rush-picture-300x189.jpg

Wales and Liverpool Legend Ian Rush has claimed that he could successfully manage Welsh Team.

Ian Rush insists that he would be a strong contender to succeed John Toshack. Rush has only had a nine month managerial career so far whilst in charge of Chester. He spoke on BBC's Sport Wales programme and claims that he has all the right skills to do the job.

"It would be difficult to say no... I've got my coaching badges and I know for a fact I could do it," Rush said. The FAW are currently drawing up a shortlist of a potential replacement for John Toshack.

The Welsh FA are looking for an appointment that will spark excitement throughout Wales as they feel that after a run of bad results under John Toshack that interest in Welsh Football was taking a dip. Ian Rush would certainly fit the bill.

Ian Rush is still regarded as a hero in Wales who is the nations all time record goal scorer with 28 goals in 73 matches, as well as having a fantastic career with Liverpool.

"Its up to the FAW to contact me regarding the position as I could never turn down the chance to lead my country." Rush insisted.

After a lack of experience in management compared to some of the other top candidates for the role such as Chris Coleman or Brian Flynn. As his only experience in management was an unsuccessful period at Chester. Since then he has taken up the role of Elite Performance Director with the Welsh Football Trust in an effort to develop the next generation of players.

It is reported that the FAW will be holding a press conference tomorrow at 3 pm.

---------- Post added at 03:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 AM ----------

Skysportslogo.png

FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION WALES PRESS CONFERENCE

Wales-1.png

Jonathan Ford FAW Chief Executive is hosting the Press Conference

"We are delighted to be holding this press conference so soon after the removal of John Toshack from his position. We have put alot of thought into this decision as we feel that it is vital that Wales shows its potential on the international stage as we all know the quality of the players and what they have achieved at club level."

"Many will be surprised by the appointment as he has not any experience of management let alone International Management. But we feel that he has learnt from the best and has vast experience of playing over a 21 year career at the top level."

"And without further a do, here is the new Wales Mananger...

Ryan Giggs."

Ryan Giggs walks out and takes a seat alongside Jonathan Ford and awaits questions from the press.

340x-1-1.jpg

Ryan: First of all I would like to say how honoured I am to be given the opportunity by the FAW to manage my country and embark on the challenges that lie ahead.

South Wales Echo: Ryan, this has come to many people as a shock that you have decided to become manager of Wales whilst still performing on a top class level for Manchester United, will you be able to continue doing both?

Ryan: Well I have always loved playing for my country and feel that now is the time for me to begin my management career. I am enjoying success with Manchester United and feel that I can still contribute to both club and country. I have spoken to the boss about it and he said that these opportunities don't come along very often so I have his blessing.

South Wales Echo: In what respect will you be managing Wales we all know your still performing at the top level for your club?

Ryan: I will be involved in a Player/Manager role for the mean time and hope to continue playing for the future. I have no plans to retire and am close to agreeing terms with Manchester United for a new contract.

The Sun: With this being your first opportunity at management what kind of style will you bring to the Welsh fans?

Ryan: I will be looking to play entertaining football, getting the ball down and playing it and looking at getting men forward. We have alot of quality players and I feel that we can succeed and qualify for Euro 2012.

The Mirror: Being in a group with England there is quite a challenge ahead for this Welsh team to hope of qualifying for the competition.

Ryan: Well I feel that with a greater understanding and a strong work ethic that this team can achieve things. There are some top players here, Gareth Bale is a fantastic talent really coming to the fore front of things at Tottenham Hotspur over the past year, Craig Bellamy currently playing for Cardiff City is a great talent who works incredibly hard for the team, I feel that I will be able to contribute well to the team and will certainly be putting 100% effort into getting off to a winning start.

The Sun: Ryan concerning the Captaincy, Craig Bellamy currently has the role, will you be looking to make any changes here?

Ryan: That is something I will need to discuss with Craig and we will decide in the coming weeks.

South Wales Echo: With a friendly coming up in early August, shall we expect to see changes to the Welsh Squad.

Ryan: I will be picking players on form, so I could pick someone you might not have heard of if I believe they can do a job for us. I feel that we have some great young players and will have an emphasis on youth but obviously experience is also a key factor.

The Times: Ryan, regarding the backroom staff will you be looking at bringing in your own team?

Ryan: Yes I will be looking at bringing in some new faces to help me implement the changes that I feel will allow us to press forward.

Thanks for listening.

Nice start mate :) I'm Welsh, so I'll defo be following!

Nice start mate :) I'm Welsh, so I'll defo be following!

Yeh thats great :) and me lol, thought it was about time someone did a story on Wales.

---------- Post added at 04:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 AM ----------

BBC.png

Robbie Savage on Welsh Appointment

_48996277_savage_ontosh_640.jpg

Robbie Savage is delighted with the appointment of Ryan Giggs as Welsh Manager.

Robbie Savage appeared on Football Focus today talking about the recent appointment of Ryan Giggs as the new Wales Boss. "I feel this is a great day for Wales, Ryan is a fantastic professional and will be a great example to the younger players in the squad."

Ryan Giggs has come out of International retirement after 3 years when he announced his retirement in 2007, after making 64 caps and scoring 12 goals for his country. After making 862 appearances for Manchester United scoring 158 goals, and continues to play for them now.

BBC Sports reporter Dan Walker asked Robbie Savage about him possibly being tempted out of retirement. "Of course I would come out of retirement to play for Wales, I feel that the team would benefit from some experience and I feel that I have vast amounts and would be a valuable asset for Ryan and the team."

Robbie Savage had previously made 39 caps for Wales before announcing his retirement in 2005 after a spat with John Toshack. "I enjoyed my time playing for Wales before retiring and would possibly still be playing for them now if the decision to get rid of John Toshack happened before." Savage never hid his beliefs regarding Toshack as manager of Wales believing that it was certainly time to move on.

"Ryan can bring a new age to Welsh Football, there is a fantastic base of young players and it will be important that these players remain fit for the season if Wales can be successful in their qualification campaigns."

Dan Walker went on to question whether Wales could qualify for Euro 2012 stating that their group was a tricky one with some strong teams. The group contains, Bulgaria, England, Montenegro and Switzerland.

"Well Bulgaria are not the force they once were, and Switzerland and Montenegro are not the strongest sides in the World so Wales will be hoping to claim second place in the group as England will be hoping for the top spot."

The FAW have also announced that tomorrow they will be hosting a press conference tomorrow regarding the new backroom staff that will be coming in to help Ryan.

I like it mate! great progress in the updates from my previous post! always hard to do international stories and get interest in them! but KIU!! :)

I like it mate! great progress in the updates from my previous post! always hard to do international stories and get interest in them! but KIU!! :)

Cheers mate will have more updates tomorrow. :)

---------- Post added at 05:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 AM ----------

got a cardiff lad here
Following :)

Fantastic, good there's quite a few Welsh people following. :D

Fantastic, good there's quite a few Welsh people following. :D[/QUOTE]

Got the story on my faveourite tabs im sure youll do fine my friend Good luck !XD

Fantastic, good there's quite a few Welsh people following. :D

Got the story on my faveourite tabs im sure youll do fine my friend Good luck !XD

Haha cheers mate update will be done by the morning :)

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 AM ----------

Walessite.png

Giggs brings in new Backroom Staff

It has been confirmed today that new Wales Boss Ryan Giggs has released Assistant Managers Roy Evans and Dean Saunders from their roles, as well as Coach Alan Curtis and Physio Mel Pejic. Ryan Released a statement following the release of the current backroom staff. "I would like to thank them all for their hard work, but this is a time for a new direction and I feel that it is important for me to bring in my own people."

poprobson.jpg

New Wales Assistant Manager Bryan Robson

The first addition is former Newcastle Player and current Chelsea Scout Bryan 'Pop' Robson, who has extensive tactical knowledge and is great at working with the youthful side of the team. Manchester United Assistant Manager Mike Phelan has been appointed as U21 Team Manager, after being a friend of Ryan's it was though that he felt that Mike would be able to provide top quality management for the U21's. Arsenal's Youth Coach David Court has been brought in as U19 Team Manager. Sunderland coach Keith Bertschin has also been brought in, as well as Goalkeeping coach Ray Clemence and Physio Dave Galley.

WestHamUnitedvManchesterUnitedPremierjP6yIs8ofCom.jpg

New Under 21 Team Manager Mike Phelan

gun__1219241770_coach_court-1.jpg

New U19 Team Manager David Court

Arsenal Youth Coach David Court has been appointed as U19 Team Manager, a man who has vast experience at working with top quality players coming through the youth system at Arsenal.

rayclemence.jpg

Ray Clemence brought in as Goalkeeping Coach

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll34/eddybw/Wales%20Story/Nicky-****-006.jpg

Ex- team mate Nicky **** has been brought in in a Coaching Role.

davegalleyphysio.jpg

Dave Galley new Physio brought in from Sunderland

Talksprot.png

Sir Alex on Ryan's Appointment

artalexfergusoncnn.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson speaking to Talk Sport about Ryan's position as Welsh Boss.

Today on Talk Sport we have the opinions of Sir Alex Ferguson on the appointment of Ryan Giggs and whether he feels that he can be successful. Sir Alex started with, "First of all I'd like to say I am delighted for the boy, he has and still is a fantastic servant for Manchester United and I wish him all the best in his management career."

"Ryan came to speak to me the day before the announcement was made and asked what my thoughts were on the matter. I spoke to him and said that it would be a lot of work and that it could possibly effect his form at club level, we talked for a couple of hours about it, and we both came to the conclusion that it would be best for him to be involved in a Player/Manager role." Sir Alex spoke with regards to the form of Ryan Giggs in pre-season stating that he is just 'getting better with age, like a fine wine.'

pre-season201011manc_392473.png

Ryan Giggs on pre-season tour with Manchester United

Ryan Giggs has been on the pre-season tour with Manchester United and netted 3 goals in 6 games as well as providing the supplier to many more for the team. "He still has the same drive when he made his first appearance as a 17 year old. If not stronger than then as he knows that he can't go on forever so wants to succeed and is still putting in man of the match performances."

Sir Alex on Wales Qualification Chances

"Wales have got alot of talented players and they are in a group with some tricky opponents, England are obviously the main competitors for the group. Whilst, Switzerland can prove tricky opponents but I believe in Ryan and he is fantastic in the dressing room and will no doubt be able to inspire the Welsh team to reach new heights." Wales have a friendly coming up in the coming days against Luxembourg before the qualification campaign begins on 3rd September.

"Despite his lack of experience of management I feel that being a key experienced figure for Manchester United will help him greatly, he has players at Wales such as Gareth Bale who idolise him and will aspire to perform to him, I feel that they certainly have a chance of qualifying."

Ryan Giggs has recently brought in Manchester United Assistant Manager Mike Phelan as his Under 21 Team Manager for Wales. "Mike is a great person to have working along side you and I really didn't mind him going along to help Ryan at Wales, his experience will be important and he will always be there for advice and has an important job leading the under 21's."

Sir Alex's final verdict on Ryan's move into the Player/Manager role at Wales. "Well as long as he keeps performing for us and United." Alex laughed, "Then I have no problem with it at all."

The Welsh Football Association have announced that Ryan Giggs will be announcing his first Welsh Squad tomorrow the 6th August ahead of their mid-week friendly with Luxembourg.

Looks good, I'm definitely following :)

Cheers mate, will have more updates before the end of the day.

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

Walessite.png

Wales Squad Announced

Wales-1.png

Ryan Giggs has today named his 26 man squad for the coming friendly with Luxembourg

Ryan Giggs' first squad does not include any major surprises other than the inclusion of Wolves' Southport born midfielder David Jones, of course the inclusion of himself as one of the midfielders. David Jones along with Cardiff City utility player Darcy Blake have the chances to win their first cap whilst West Ham Daniel Gabbidon misses out on the 26 man squad, and Fulham midfielder Simon Davies has announced his international retirement with immediate effect.

21 year old Swansea left back has the opportunity to add to his 1 cap after being named in the squad. Other surprise inclusion is 18 year old Cardiff full back Adam Matthews. Whilst Aaron Ramsey returns after a long lay off. Here is the Wales Squad in full.

GOALKEEPERS:

1438798320-soccer-fifa-world-cup-2010-qualifying-round-group-four-wales-1.jpg

Wayne Hennessey (Wolves)
Jason Brown (Blackburn)
Boaz Myhill (West Brom)

DEFENDERS

_46352082_james_collins_celeb_get-1.jpg

Neal Eardley (Blackpool)
Chris Gunter (Blackburn)
Sam Ricketts (Fulham)
Adam Matthews (Cardiff)
Darcy Blake (Cardiff)
Danny Collins (Stoke)
James Collins (Aston Villa)
Ashley Williams (Swansea)
Neil Taylor (Swansea)

MIDFIELDERS

wales-giggs-1.jpg

Gareth Bale (Tottenham Hotspur)
Brian Stock (Doncaster)
Joe Ledley (Celtic)
Aaron Ramsey (Cardiff)
David Edwards (Wolves)
Craig Bellamy (Cardiff)
Ryan Giggs (Manchester United)
Andy King (Leicester)
Joe Allen (Swansea)

FORWARDS

Robert-Earnshaw-001-1.jpg

Rob Earnshaw (Nottingham Forrest)
Ched Evans (Sheffield United)
Sam Vokes (Wolves)
Simon Church (Reading)
Freddy Eastwood (Ipswich)

choose himself in the squad (Giggs)

Yeh I'm thinking of playing him straight away, but not sure what position, because of course Bale is main left winger so we'll see.

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

BBC.png

MOTD pundit Alan Hanson questions Giggs appointment

_46959890_hansen_hughes_still.jpg

Whilst discussing the coming Premier League season Alan Hansen spoke out regarding the appointment of Ryan Giggs as Wales Player/Manager.

"This must be a publicity stunt for Wales, I mean Ryan as fantastic a player that he is, surely can't cope with the demands of playing International football, and playing in all the competitions Manchester United are involved in as well as dealing with the management side of things." Hansen speaks out after Ryan Giggs was confirmed as Wales Player Manager succeeding John Toshack in early July. Alan Hansen went on "There are a number of people who would be more qualified and have the time to focus solely on the management side of the game."

Wales outsiders for qualifying for Euro 2012, and its widely regarded that for them to gain any success at all in the competition then they will have to keep their star players fit. These include Tottenham's Gareth Bale, Cardiff's loan striker Craig Bellamy, James Collins and Aaron Ramsey who has returned from a long lay off. "The depth in Wales is not great and its whether Ryan's body can cope with the demands of playing when his body has been used to resting over the past 3 years."

"Despite this it would be a marvellous achievement if Ryan did succeed at Wales, as a Player/Manager it will be up to him to lead the team from the front and lead by example. But these are all attributes he has gained whilst playing for Manchester United." Alan Hansen also said. "I do not want to be seen as slating Ryan and his right of passage into becoming the new Welsh Manager but I feel that it might just be a step to far in this man's fantastic career."

Fellow pundit Mark Lawrenson spoke out in favour of the appointment, saying. "I think that this could work wonders for Wales, they are missing a player who can link up play, I mean they have young Gareth Bale as their star player and have been playing one dimensionally at times trying to continuously get the ball out to him." Mark Lawrenson spoke out regarding the position that Ryan will be starting in. "Well for Manchester United we have seen him playing in multiple positions he could play on the right having the ability to cut into his left foot, as well as playing in the centre of the park linking up play there."

Match of the Day Presenter Gary Lineker closed by saying. "Well we will soon see as there is a chance to watch Ryan Giggs' return to the front line on the 11th August at 7 on BBC1 and BBC1 HD."

---------- Post added at 03:54 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 07:56 PM ----------

Walessite.png

New Wales captains named

After 4 weeks of management and conversations with existing Captain Craig Bellamy who has decided to step down from the role.

The decision has been made to appoint himself as team captain, so that he will be putting the responsibility on Ryan to motivate the team and give instructions on the pitch.

a307334d5b68d308b60810335aff-grande.jpg

Ryan was previously Captain of Wales before he retired in 2007. After revealing that he would be undertaking the role of Player/Manager and Team Captain he said. "I feel that I should name myself as the team Captain because I want to lead by example and will be involved in every game that I possibly can."

It was then revealed that the vice captain would be Aston Villa defender James Collins, because he could easily step up if Ryan wasn't available. James Collins is an extremely experienced player who has impressed since arriving at Aston Villa and is always ready to put his body on the line for the team.

jamescollins272x480-1.jpg

The response within the team has been fantastic in support for Ryan Giggs and James Collins. Craig Bellamy has come out and spoken in regards to the Ryan appointing himself Team Captain.

"I think it is the right decision I mean he has the ability to inspire us all, and I can't wait to get on the pitch and start playing again. The game against Luxembourg is a chance to show people what we can do."

---------- Post added at 04:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 AM ----------

BBC.png

Wales vs Luxembourg

288250165-soccer-international-friendly-wales-v-luxembourg-parc-y-scarlets.jpg

Welcome to Match of the Days coverage of Ryan Giggs' return to International duty, this time with a twist.

You join us at Parc Y Scarlets, the new 15,000 seater stadium, on the dawn of a moment of history for the man named the Welsh Wizard Ryan Giggs, this is his chance to prove doubters wrong that he has the ability to take charge of the Welsh National Team. We go straight to Jonathan Pearce who is about to speak to the man himself.

Wales vs Luxembourg - Pre Match Conference

340x-1-1.jpg

BBC Sports reporter Jonathan Pearce is at the match between Wales vs Luxembourg to interview new Wales Boss Ryan Giggs.

Jonathan: Ryan, this is your first game in charge as boss of Wales, what is the game plan?

Ryan: Well we are hoping to entertain the fans and put on a show, too long have the Welsh fans had to suffer whilst watching Wales but this is the time for change.

Jonathan: We have heard that Aaron Ramsey has been withdrawn from the Wales Squad what is the news regarding this?

Ryan: Yes, Aaron was withdrawn by Cardiff City, I am disappointed with this as I was hoping for him to start tonight, but I have adjusted the plans and believe that we can still take the game to Luxembourg.

Jonathan: I am sure that everyone is looking forward to this day, are you feeling any nerves?

Ryan: I feel slight nerves, but that's to be expected. I plan to channel the pressure into a positive performance.

Jonathan: The team sheets have just come in and its an interesting lineup, with some in-experienced players involved.

Ryan: Well I feel that its a chance for them to show them what they can do, I will be rotating during the game to give the substitutes a chance. But the lineup is designed to get forward and take the game to them.

Jonathan: Well good luck Ryan, all the best.

NewWalesCrestcopy.jpg

Welsh Lineup:

WalesvsLuxembourg.png

Wales lineup in a 4 - 4 - 1 - 1 formation with Wolves youngster Sam Vokes the chance to show his international credentials. Ryan Giggs starts in a role just behind the striker with the job of moving into space and creating chances. There is plenty of pace on the flanks in this Welsh side with Craig Bellamy and Gareth Bale on either flank.

In defence James Collins starts alongside Swansea's Ashley Williams with a relative unknown and also Swansea's Neil Taylor playing at left back is given the opportunity to add to his 1 cap for Wales. Another surprise inclusion is Leicester's Andy King.

MOTD Pundits on Welsh Lineup

article-1025830-017D09EC00000578-572_468x370-2.jpg

The Match of the Day pundits verdict on Ryan Giggs' first team.

Gary Lineker began the questions asking Mark Lawrenson, Alan Hansen and Alan Shearer on their opinions of the Wales Lineup. Mark said "It's certainly a new way of playing for Wales and I think this could bring out the best out of Ryan and the team. He can use his experience and tactical knowledge to find pockets of space and create chances out of nothing that Wales have not been able to do in the past."

Alan Shearer spoke regarding the striker Sam Vokes. "He is a great young talent, extremely strong and can be utilised as a target man to bring in players around him. Much like a certain Andy Carroll of Liverpool, and should be able to perform for Wales." I like the look of this formation.

Gary Lineker also spoke out regarding the young Leicester midfielder Andy King, "He is a great young talent, he has an eye for a pass and is extremely intelligent at reading the game." Andy King started his career at Leicester City and since breaking into the first team in the 2007-08 season become a first team regular scoring 19 goals in 99 appearances. Leicester City boss Sven Goran Eriksson has spoken out in delight that Andy has been given the opportunity to prove himself on the international stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.