Scott Dickson

Reaction score
Introduction

So I had a few issues with the last attempt, such as laptop faults and game file corruption problems. I had to scrap my last attempt. It’s a shame that happened, as the save was going so well.

Anyway, here is attempt two of The Saints Are Coming – A 2018 Story. I’ve made a few adjustments since last time; new tactics for the team and I'm using the January update for new players. I’ve also made an adjustment to the challenge itself. Instead of aiming to just progress with St Mirren and turn them into a top European side, I will attempt to combine this with a National Hero Challenge. The goal is simple; perform well as a manager with St Mirren, win trophies, and gain the attention of the Scottish National Team. I will then attempt to make Scotland a top national side, capable of competing for European and World Cup Glory.

I hope you enjoy the journey through the second attempt of this story, and if you have any advice, please, let me see it!

It's All There In Black and White

Although St Mirren Football Club was founded in 1877, it was not until the 1880's that they came to prominence in the national game. They played their first match at Shortroods on the 6th October 1877 against Johnstone Britannia. John Goold had the honour of scoring the first St Mirren goal in a 1-0 victory. However, they quickly hit earth with a harsh bump with two quick loses, first to Vale of Caldon, and then the humiliating defeat to Pollockshields side Ailsa Reserves - a 7-1 loss. A year after their forming, they moved to Abingdon Park, and very quickly after to Thistle Park in Greenhill.

In the early stages, their rivals were Abercorn, who were also formed in Paisley in 1877. Saint won the first match 7-0.

1882-83 saw a historic occasion when, on the 30th September 1882, Saints lined up against Greenock Morton in the 2nd round of the Scottish Cup. Sadly Morton won comfortably 5-1, but this was the very first meeting of the two teams who would go on to become fierce rivals.

Saints were back in the final of the Renfrewshire Cup this season after defeating Cartvale (5-1), Paisley Athletic (3-0), Greenock Southern (8-0) and Johnstone Rovers (5-0), they faced Thornliebank in the final.On 14th April 1883 the teams lined up at East Park, home of Paisley Athletic.The St.Mirren team that day was: - Drinnan, Marshall, McPhee, Paterson, Kerr, Wallace, Watt, Brown, Fairlie, Imrie and Johnstone.6000 people saw goals from Wallace (2) and Imrie give Saints a 3-1 victory. It is interesting to note that Saints were the first team to be presented with the magnificent trophy as, although the competition was in its fifth season, the Renfrewshire F.A. had only just got round to having a trophy made!

The 20's

At the end of the 1921/22 season, St Mirren were invited to Spain, at the request of Barcelona Football Club, as part of the official opening of their new stadium, Les Cortes. Barcelona had arranged a number of friendly matches and named the tournament, The Barcelona Cup. Although St Mirren lost the first two games 1-2 and 0-1 to Catalan select teams, their third match was to be played against Notts County. After a goalless first half, County retreated to the dressing rooms to cool down, while Saints opted to remain on the pitch in the sweltering conditions. Not only did this allow the players to climatise, but it won over the hearts of the Catalan faithful, who rallied behind the team during the second half. Dunky Walker put the Saints ahead inside the first 10 minutes of the second half, only for County to send the game to extra time with an equaliser. With the end of extra time looming, Dunky Walker won the game for Saints, and took the team through to face Santander. Two matches against the team from Northern Spain saw a 3-2 victory and a 2-2 draw.

Gijon were next and the two sides met twice in the space of 2 days. The first game a 7-2 victory for the team from Paisley, and the second a 4-1 win for Gijon.

Barcelona next, and a victory for St Mirren resulted in them being awarded the Barcelona Cup. This was the first trophy won by a British team from Mainland European soil.

To this day, St Mirren hero Dunky Walker holds the record of 45 goals in a league. This makes him the highest scoring footballer in a single league season.

1924-25

By this stage in the decade Saints were keeping more consistency in their performances and 1924-25 was to be no different.

Davie McCrae continued what he had started at the tail end of the previous season by notching 29 goals, to justify the faith shown in him by Saints. One particularly good period for Davie was October and November when he scored in six consecutive matches, finishing up with four in a 4-1 win over Motherwell. Aided by his goals the team remained in 6th​ position for the third successive year.

The Scottish Cup also provided some cheer, for the first time in many years! Defeats of Peterhead (3-1), Ayr UTD (1-0) and Partick Thistle (2-0) saw a quarter final meeting with Celtic at Love Street. 47,428 a new record, crowded into the ground to see both teams battle out a no score draw. The replay at Parkhead also ended in a draw, 1-1. Saints goal was scored by Douglas Thomson, on loan from St.Johnstone to replace the injured McCrae. In the deciding match at Ibrox, a solitary Jimmy McGrory goal sent Saints out.

That First Honor!

If 1924-25 was exciting for the fans, 1925-26 was to surpass even that!

Saints started in great form with 23 points taken from a possible 28 to see them sit proudly atop the league during November. However, a shock 1-0 reverse at the hands of bottom placed St.Johnstone started a slump in form and, despite Davie McCrae again scoring regularly to top the charts with 24, Saints could not regain the early season form and slipped from the championship race. They eventually secured a fourth place finish, the best since 1893!

The Scottish Cup began comfortably enough with a 4-0 win over Mid-Annandale at Love Street.
The second round took Saints to Gayfield to meet Arbroath. A poor performance saw Tom Morrison miss a penalty and Saints struggle to hold on against ten-man Arbroath for a 0-0 draw. The replay at Love Street was once again uninspiring, but a 3-0 win was gladly accepted.

Partick thistle (2-1) and Airdrie (2-0) were disposed of and Rangers were the opposition in the semi final. In a close fought match Jamie Thomson scored to take Saints into their first cup final since 1908. The opposition was Celtic, the team who beat them in that previous final!

On 10th​ April 1926 the following players lined up at Hampden: - Bradford, Findlay, Newbiggin, Morrison, Summers McDonald, Morgan, Gebbie, McCrae, Howieson, and Thomson. Celtic were undoubted favourites, but St.Mirren got off to the best possible start when top scorer McCrae headed home in just three minutes

Jimmy Howieson added a second midway through the first half to seal the victory, and the Cup was on its way to Paisley for the first time ever.

Each player was presented with a bottle of whiskey for their efforts and Davie McCrae vowed not to drink his until the Cup returned to Paisley again. He was to have a long wait!

The 50's - That Second Honor

The 1958-59 cup trail began with St.Mirren staring superstition in the face by agreeing to play Peebles Rovers on Friday the thirteenth February, in the first ever floodlit match at Love Street. This proved to be far from unlucky as Saints, on a bonus for the amount of goals scored, rattled in ten without reply.

After disposing of Motherwell and Dunfermline, Saints lined up at Hampden on the 1st​ April against Celtic in the semi final with this team: Walker, Lapsley, Wilson, Neilson, McGugan, Leishman, Rodger, Bryceland, Baker, Gemmell and Miller.

Celtic started as favourites, but Alistair Miller had other ideas and constantly tormented the Celtic defence. He scored twice and assisted in further goals from Bryceland and Baker to earn a 4-0 victory that made Scottish football take notice of the men from Paisley.

In the final on the 25th​ April the same eleven men were entrusted with the task of bringing the cup to Paisley.
As in the League Cup final of 1955 Aberdeen were the opposition, but this time they were not as clear favourites.
Once again Alistair Miller was on top form and led Saints to a memorable 3-1 win scoring once with the other goals coming from Baker and Bryceland.

As Paisley celebrated, the Saints team were joined by 1926 hero Davie McCrae who had kept his promise to keep his celebratory whiskey until the cup returned to Paisley. 1959 skipper Davie Lapsley had the first drink from the bottle.

Another piece of silverware arrived at Love Street during April when the reserves defeated Motherwell 3-2 over two legs in the final of the 2nd​ XI cup.

Following the Scottish Cup win Saints were invited to play FA Cup holders Nottingham Forest in an Anglo Scottish Challenge. Goals from Laird (2), Bryceland, Kerrigan and Baker gave Saints a 5-4 aggregate win.

The 80's - That Third Honor

St Mirren deployed 14 players at Hampden in 1987, to face a rampant Dundee United side in the Scottish Cup Final. By the end of that afternoon, each of those 14 players would become legends. Against all odds, they would bring the trophy home to Paisley for only the third time in their history. An extra time goal from club record transfer (sold) Ian Ferguson sealed the win for The Buddies! This was to be the last time that the Scottish Cup was contested by 2 teams containing only Scottish players.

The Present

And so I was born. I remember in early 2000 asking my father if St Mirren would be in the latest game of Fifa after we had won the league. "Yes son, they will be" "That's great, I can have Quitongo, and Yardley and Rudden in my team"

I remember Steven McGarry turning round to me that day and asking "Can I get a game for your team wee man?" My reply? "How? Who are you?".

At the end of that season, I went down to get autographs from my favourite players. McGarry ran through on goal and poked the ball passed the goalkeeper. He ran over to me, signed my book, and told me that I knew who he was now. He'd never forget it either.

I'd watched a few cup wins, but nothing major. The 2000 League win, the 2005 Challenge Cup, the 2006 League win. But nothing big. We came close, in 2010. A loss to 9 man Rangers - and the mocking call of "wasted journey wee man" from their fans - in the League Cup final shattered the belief that I'd see The Buddies lift a major trophy. Then came 2013.

I remember Samson's penalty save against Celtic in the Semi-Final. I remember the heartbreak of watching Hearts go 1-0 up, then the relief as Goncalves prodded the ball over the line after Teale rendered the Hearts keeper helpless. Paisley Hero Thompson and Newcastle loanee Conor Newton sealed the deal for Paisley, and the Saints went Marching On to Cup Glory.

In recent years, St Mirren have suffered. After a dismal showing in the Premiership, the club were relegated to The Championship, and only recently survived a second relegation by goal difference in the 2016/17 season. In the real league St Mirren are currently 12 points clear at the top of the Championship and require 8 point out of 21 to secure the league. Just now it isn’t a case of IF they will win the league, more a matter of WHEN.

The Challenge

My challenge is to follow in the footsteps of the legendary St Mirren managers who brought major honors to the club.

The current squad consists of a number of highly talented youngsters, and experienced veterans. I already have a good idea of who will be in my starting XI, but the friendlies will also allow some players to change my mind.

Goalkeeper Craig Samson is in his second spell with the club. Samson is a returning hero after his exploits in the League Cup in 2013. Now into the twilight years of his football career, it is time to seek an understudy to take over before it is too late. It’s clear I will need to either look at the players within my youth set-up or scour the market for a suitable understudy.

Adam Eckersley is perhaps the best defender the club has. Adam, began his career at Manchester United, before plying his trade at various other clubs. Adam played a massive part in St Mirren’s survival last season and will hopefully play a big role in the clubs promotion push. Like Samson, Eckersley is in the latter stages of his career and a replacement will be required. Stelios will make a good temporary replacement, but if the club is to really progress a younger player with high potential will be needed.

Lewis Morgan is perhaps the best player within the current St Mirren squad. A product of the youth academy, Morgan has recently been sold to Celtic and loaned back to the club. Morgan will be an instrumental player in my push for promotion this season. However, if I am unable to get Morgan back on loan next season, I will need a replacement. Luckily the club already thought of this and provided my squad with Myles Hippolyte – a pacey winger who will act as a stand-in or replacement for Morgan.

Gavin Reilly is a proven striker at this level and luckily for St Mirren he couldn’t cut it at Hearts. St Mirren snapped him up on a free transfer and hopefully he will provide my club with the same effect as he has in real life.

Last edited:
First Steps

At the start of each game I always take a look at my friendlies. Currently my team is lined up to play: Elgin, Partick Thistle, Clyde, Queen’s Park, Kilmarnock and Stenhousemuir. I am going to cancel any away fixture, and the game against Partick Thistle. During pre-season I only ever play home fixtures. The reason for this is that it generates income for my club. Playing away from home costs me money to arrange, and provides no income to my club. Playing Partick Thistle early on into my pre-season could prove detrimental to my teams moral if it ends in a heavy loss, so I like to build it up.

I tend to play quite a lot of pre-season home games as well. This allows me to fully understand my team, it allows my players to adjust to the tactics I have, and it allows all my players to gain match sharpness due to rotation. Partnerships can also be formed early on, which could prove vital later on in my season. I know I will lose a few friendlies towards the beginning of the season, however at this stage the Group Stages of the Betfred Cup will start. By this point, my players should be fit enough to see off any opposition within my group and give the Premiership side in the group a good run for their money.

Fixture Changes

I basically cancelled all my fixtures and arranged new ones - all at home. In total I spent £33,650 to gain £206,000. That gives me a profit of £172,350. I will also look to arrange friendly games with Scottish Junior sides in between season fixtures, however for these games I will use either youth players or substitutes in order to reduce the chance of injury to first team players, and keep match fitness up for other players who are not playing as regularly.
  • Annbank
  • Ardeer Thistle
  • Braehead
  • BSC Glasgow
  • Camelon Albion
  • Edusport
  • Ashfield
  • East Kilbride
  • Cliftonville
  • Linfield
  • Fleetwood
  • Kilmarnock
  • Tullibody
  • Zetland
  • Greenock
  • Glasgow University
  • Blantyre Vics
  • Bellshill
  • Easterhouse Lily
  • Broxburn Athletic
  • Dalry Thistle
  • Lochore Welfare
  • Clydebank
  • Sitrling Uni
  • Kennoway Star Hearts
  • Stirling Thistle

Transfer and Loan Offers

Transfer

Although Gary Irvine has served the club well, he is reaching the latter years of his career and commands a fairly large wage for my team. He's currently a backup to the on loan Hearts right back, Liam Smith. I will accept the offer from Queen of the South and look to sign a younger player with higher potential, and a lower wage.

Although QoS are in the same league, I don't see Irvine as being that much of a threat, so in this case I am willing to sell to a rival.

Loan

I have received loan offers for both Scott Glover and Mark Morrison. The offer for Morrison has been rejected as he was only offered a backup roll within the team. If he is to progress, he needs to be playing on a weekly basis. I believe that by keeping him here and playing him in midweek friendlies, he would progress more. Should another offer be made with better terms, I may consider changing my plans.

Glover had 3 loan offers, and again all 3 clubs only offered a backup roll. For the same reason as above, they too were rejected.

One in. One Out

With Gary Irvine leaving the club for just over £13,000, I needed to find a replacement right back to act as back-up to Smith. After having a look on the market, there wasn't a great deal available for transfer. However Jamie Brandon looks a good prospect from Hearts, and while I currently have him on loan, there is the option to purchase him for £15,000. He is also costing me the sweet tune of £0 a week in wages.

£500 freed up, and increased funds, all while keeping my squad the same size, and securing a younger player for at least a year.

As a Morton fan I would hope it all goes very badly, but hopefully for the story you can do well enough to keep your job

As a Morton fan I would hope it all goes very badly, but hopefully for the story you can do well enough to keep your job

I'm ashamed to say it, but my scout has been ordered to look at a few Morton players, and I may attempt to lure a few of them away from the Dark side of Renfrewshire to the superior side ;)

Betfred Cup Draw

So the draw for the Betfred Cup was made. I drew Elgin, Alloa, Arbroath and Inverness.

Think this group is pretty good for my side as we avoid any Premiership sides, and I feel I have a good chance of beating all the sides in the group

Transfer Targets

I've identified a few places that will either need replaced now, or replaced later on.

Defense

Kevin McHattie - Raith Rovers

Adam is the first choice left back just now. However he is getting on and won't go forever. I have Stelios as well as my current back-up but, he won't reach the standards of Premiership quality. Kevin McHattie seems a good target. He's currently playing for Raith Rovers and is playing regularly. If I can sign him, I plan to send him back out on loan to Raith Rovers to gain experience and confidence. Problem being, I have £60,000, and Rovers want £83,000. Some tough negotiations will be required.

Cal Templeton - Free Agent

I currently have 2 right backs on loan, so it seems logical to have one I own on a contractual basis. Cal has the ability to become a top right back. Again, I will sign this player and loan him out for experience - hopefully at League 1.

David McKay - Raith Rovers

Another player from Raith Rovers. This time centre half David McKay. Although I already have 2 good centre halves in my team, there the possibility that one or both could leave on transfer fees if they perform well. It never hurts to have a ready made replacement in the wings. Again, the plan is to loan out McKay if I sign him in order for him to continue to gain experience and learn

Goalkeeper

Ross Doohan - Celtic

Craig Samson wont go on forever, and my back-up choice doesn't have a lot of potential. I need to sign a younger player with a high potential. Doohan seems a good target to mould to my needs. He has the ability to develop into a top Premiership player - if trained correctly.

Cassian Snubs Saints

I offered a contract to free agent Cassian Thomas, however I was snubbed for a contract offer from Aberdeen. Goes to show though that my scouts had done a good job finding him, as top Premiership clubs were also looking at him. unfortunately I do not have the same pulling power as a top club. I must continue my search for future top club players

End of Pre-Season

As pre-season comes to an end, I start to make my preparations for the Betfred Cup Campaign. I rested my first team players for the final two friendly fixtures to allow them to regain fitness. Having only lost 2 games, and both of which were with very young sides, I feel as if my team are ready and confident enough for a good season ahead.

As of yet, I have made no more signings, and have been struggling to do so. However I feel the team is strong enough at present to see out the season ahead. First game of the Betfred Cup is Elgin City, a team I feel I can beat quite easily.

Transfer Targets

An update on my transfer targets.

Greg Morrison - Ross County

Morrison could be a great player to bring into the club. Unfortunately, it would mean offloading Sutton to free up wages and ensure that Morrison will be afforded some game time. Morrison is a great prospect from Ross County and has already scored in the opening 2 games of County's Betfred Cup Campaign. The player however could potentially cost anywhere between £38,000 and £90,000.

Jamie Robson - Dundee United
It will be tough but I will try to convince league rivals Dundee United to part with 19 Year Old Jamie Robson. In my failed attempt to lure McHattie, I have targeted Robson as the next left back at St Mirren. Already classed as being better than Stelios, Jamie could prove an ideal replacement to play within the cup competitions. He could also turn into a quality Premiership wing back. At a potential £57,000 though, it could prove steep.

Wage Reduction Success

My attempts to reduce Jamie Langfield's wages have proved successful. Initially commanding a £700 a week wage, I have managed to reduce it to £500. Whilst still high for the clubs level, it will allow for another youth players to be brought into the club.

Betfred Cup

My first 4 competitive fixtures are complete. Elgin City felt the wrath of St Mirren first with a 4-1 victory. Gavin Reilly got off to a great start, scoring 2, with Lewis Morgan also grabbing a brace. Former Saint Thomas Reilly was sent off before danger man, Shane Sutherland, scored a consolation goal for Elgin.

A 2-5 victory over Alloa next. Another brace for Reilly, and a double for Cammy Smith followed a Stephen McGinn penalty. Alloa scored through Andy Graham and Callum Smith.

Arbroath provided a much sterner contest, it was 3-2, 4-2, 4-3, before St Mirren really took control of the game. 6 different goalscorers for St Mirren though showed the depth within the team and the desire to win. Cammy Smith, McGinn, Morgan, Flynn, Hippolyte and youngster Erhahon all scored to see off Ricky Little, and a Steven Doris brace. Scott Martin saw red for Arbroath

The final game saw The Buddies play Inverness at home. This was my first test against a Championship side, and a chance for the team to show me what they could do against last season's Premiership relegated side. Gavin Reilly scored early in the first half with Morgan making it 2-0 early in the second half. An own goal by Zack Elbouzedi made it 3-0 at the final whistle. A confident performance from the team, and a confidence boost against the season opener to Falkirk.

The team have also been drawn against Championship side Dunfermline in the second round.

Ryan Porteous

Ryan Porteous - Hibernian
Centre back Ryan Porteous is a product of the Hibernian youth academy. Although currently operating to a league 1 standard the centre half could prove a solid player in the Premiership if trained correctly. Valued at £48,000 I'm starting to have a dilemma about which player to sign.

Dickson Gets His Man

Ryan Porteous has signed a 2 year deal with St Mirren Football Club for a fee of £15,000. Not quite sure how I managed to pull this off but I am incredibly pleased with this.
My plan is to loan the player back out to a League 1 team to gain more experience. I will monitor him heavily to see his progression.

Early Doors - Early Success

So the season is underway and i've played the first month and a bit of fixtures. I've opted to use two different squads for different competitions and have partially abandoned my mid week friendly idea for the moment.

The season opener to Falkirk saw The Buddies run out 4-1 winners after initially going 0-1 down. An excellent performance by Lewis Morgan pulled the team level, and then ahead.

It was nearly a Derby Day Disaster against Morton as St Mirren quickly went 2-0 down, only to draw level in the dying minutes of the game.

Livingston provided a much more entertaining fixture. After initially going 0-1 ahead, Livingston then took a 2-1 lead. 2 goal early into the second half saw St Mirren seal a great home win to move into second place. Livingston made the final 20 minutes of the game interesting, hitting the post twice.

A convincing 3-0 victory over Dundee United, saw St Mirren seal 3 points against the Promotion favourites. And Inverness were easily dispatched in a 4-1 win.

Round 2 of the Betfred Cup saw St Mirren ease past Dunfermline as 1-3 winners, and the apprentices progressed to the 3rd round of the Irn Bru Cup with wins over Hamilton U20's and Linfield, 2-0 and 5-1 respectively.

For the League this has been my side.
And in the Irn Bru Cup my team has been

Lewis Morgan has been a standout player, with Myles Hippolyte and Cammy Smith providing great competition. Gavin Reilly has chipped in with a few goals, but Mullen is proving to be the better striker just now. Could there be a potential changing of the guard within the first team?

Another Month Closer

The month of September ended in some big results for the side. A quarter final match up against Scottish Champions Celtic, some big games against Promotion contenders, and a testing period for the side with a tight fixture congestion.

Dunfermline were dispatched 4-3. The score flattered Dunfermline as St Mirren were all over them, some sloppy defending in the final minutes saw The Pars come back into it. A Reilly Hat-Rick and Magennis goal won St Mirren the points.

The Buddies scored 4 again as they beat Queen of the South 4-2. Magennis, Reilly, Hippolyte and Smith all getting their names on the score-sheet.

A slightly weaker side faced Brechin as I looked to rest up a number of key players. Sutton and Erhahon scored either side of a Cammy Smith volley to end the game 3-0. St Mirren remain top of the league by 4 points, after all sides in the league playing 8 games.

The Buddies run in the Betfred Cup came to an end, and it was the 2013 winners versus the current holders. St Mirren were nearly in Dreamland as Cammy Smith struck the inside of the post within the first minute of the game, only for the ball to roll clear. Reilly then hit the outside of the post from a tight angle after beating Ralston. Celtic drew first blood as they ran up the park from the resulting goalkick. They made it 2-0 just before the stroke of half-time.

I decided to shake things up at half time and went with 2 up front, something I hardly ever do in the newer versions of the game. I opted to take off one winger for Mullen, and move my other winger into the centre of the park. It paid off early when Mullen ran through on goal, rounded the goalkeeper and found the net. 2-1. Minutes later, Reilly hit the post, and Smith hit the crossbar from a free-kick. It wasnt to be though and in the dying moments of the game - as Saints pressed, a loose ball was picked up, and Celtic made it 3-1. Although i'm disappointed to go out the cup, I am elated with the performance of my team.
This month I was awarded the Manager of The Month Award, while Cammy Smith was runner up for the Player of The Month Award.

Some good results so far, except the Morton one. Not sure how necessary the comeback was