Jake

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is an Official Steam FAQ available at this link.

O.K. it seems a small but incredibly vocal number of users are having various problems with steam. Use this thread to report any problems you have and the community will hopefully answer and help to solve your problem.

Just some points:

Millions of people around the world use steam without a problem. Almost every member of staff on this website has used steam before the release of FM12 without problem. I myself have used it since FM10 and i have never experienced anything but sheer satisfaction. In the vast majority of cases, the user or the users computer system is the problem, not Steam or the game.

Closing your computer down with the game still running is likely to cause serious problems, as will closing it down before you close steam as steam needs to do some syncing operations before it closes. The correct way to exit the game and shut down your computer is:

Save and close FM
Close and exit steam
Wait for steam to sync and dissapear from your taskbar/notification area bottom right
Shut down your computer

Please note, crash dumps are not a steam specific problem, and steam updating the game does not cause crash dumps, not matter what rumours you may have heard or read. A common crash dump problem is using graphics from previous editions of the game without the correct format. Ensure all add-on graphic files are .png and not .PNG - Use this thread for crash dump issues.

cant play fm12!

steam error - this game if currently unavailable at the moment, please try again another time

can any 1 help with this???

If the game is currently unavailable it is for one of two reasons.

Because steam is updating it for you. You must be in online mode with the internet connected to allow steam to do this. So anyone who is getting this message for more than a few minutes either has an incredibly slow internet connection (update took 2 minutes for me on a 5 meg connection) or they are not connected to the internet, or steam is in offline mode.

You have opened steam in online mode without an internet connection. Steam must register and sync with the servers before you enter offline mode and play the game without the internet connected. To prevent this problem in future, open steam with your internet connection on, switch to offline mode and then never close steam again.

As i just mentioned, at certain times the game will be unavailable to play. This is because steam is in the process of automatically patching it for you. It saves you the trouble of having to find, download and install the patch yourself. If you would prefer not to allow steam to update the game for you, please do the following:

Open steam library - right click FM12 - click properties - click updates - then change the option to always keep the game up to date

Before spitting the dummy totally, try the following:

1. Restart steam and/or your computer to see if the problem can be rectified.

2. Verfy integrity of game files on steam:

Open steam library - right click on FM12 - click properties - click local files - click verfy integry of game cache

3. Defragment your game files on steam:

Open steam library - right click on FM12 - click properties - click local files - click defragement game files

4. Try renaming your client registry blob:

Windows XP/Vista/7

• Completely exit from the Steam client.
  • Go to C:\Program Files\Steam (or the Steam directory that was specified during installation).
  • Locate ClientRegistry.blob and rename this file to ClientRegistryOld.blob.
  • Restart Steam to allow the file to be recreated.
  • Test the issue once more.
Mac OSX

• Go to /Users/[Username]/Library/Application Support/Steam
  • Test the issue once more
Important

It is not recommended to delete the Old.blob as it may be used later to determine recurring issues.

5. Delete and reinstall the game from your computer. Use steam to do this, not control panel:

Open steam library - right click on FM12 - click delete local content

Redownload the game

6. Reinstall steam.

7. In an extreme case you may want to try a full manual uninstall. Details can be found at the bottom of the opening post of this thread.

If none of the above prove to be any help then please post your problem in this thread. I will be closing any other steam problem threads, whether thats new threads or ones that have been made previously, mainly because a tiny minority of incredibly vocal people who have an issue (which is usually something THEY themselves have done, not a problem with steam) are spamming the forum and contributing to a slow down.

If you have a problem please post as many details about the problem as you can. Posting:

''Waaaaahhh steam is ****, blah blah blah why can't i play the game?!?!??????????????!?!?!?!?!?!?!''

Is highly unlikely to get a response that will help you.

-----------

If you're worried about Steam using up your precious RAM on your old computer then do the following..

1. Right Click FM12
2. Properties
3. Untick Enable Steam Community in Game
4. Congratulations, you have now freed up almost 1MB of RAM!

Last edited by a moderator:
*But Why should we have to do this, i have paid for my game! I expect to be able to play it

*But Why should we have to do this, i have paid for my game! I expect to be able to play it

But that is life, nothing is 'perfect'. But the above in the OP only really is for about 20% of people who do have problems with Steam.

O.K. Yes you have paid for the game. However, SI announced long in advance that FM was going to be strongly steam supported this year. Their intention was to combat zero day pircay (FM10 and FM11 cracks were available on the torrent sites before the games were officially released) and so far the battle against piracy is being won, with no crack yet available, days after the release. If steam isn't for you (for whatever ridiculous reason) then there was plenty of opportunity to not buy the game, it's not as if you bought the game, then wham SI suddenly announced you had to use steam.

Because of steams success at preventing piracy, SI hasn't lost millions of pounds, meaning more investment can be made into future editions of the game. Steam = better game quality.

If you have a technical problem with steam, this thread is here to help. If you want to ***** and moan about it, you are almost as bad as the pirates.

THIS IS NOT A FOR/AGAINST STEAM THREAD. ANY FUTURE WHINING FROM ANYONE ABOUT STEAM WILL RESULT IN AN INFRACTION.

Last edited:
Glad you posted this-wasn't aware Steam had a defrag facility included in client. And I've been using Steam for ages :$

Only took literally 5 seconds too.

Hi ajt09,
I know its not a steam problem but a bossy moderator closed my thread :)! (joke)
Just letting you know that your idea of "restoring previous versions" of my corrupt save game worked so thanks!!
Im now back in March but I can deal with that.

Im not whinging as should just want to play the game, Ive been supporting SI since 1997 so i can totally understand just getting grumpy because i want to play.but its sorted....... for now

Hi ajt09,
I know its not a steam problem but a bossy moderator closed my thread :)! (joke)
Just letting you know that your idea of "restoring previous versions" of my corrupt save game worked so thanks!!
Im now back in March but I can deal with that.

Excellent. Glad to help mate :)

Im not whinging as should just want to play the game, Ive been supporting SI since 1997 so i can totally understand just getting grumpy because i want to play.but its sorted....... for now

Apologies for my overreaction, i just grouped you in with the minority of others who have just been moaning on and on without ever actually telling me what their problem was, it's incredibly frustrating.

Glad your problem is sorted, please post if you have any other issues.

Mac OSX

My problem now appears to be that I don't have the Steam files in my Library/Application Support! I have updated to Lion, installed Steam etc but don't have this extension. Any help to a doddering technical idiot would be appreciated!

Mac OSX

My problem now appears to be that I don't have the Steam files in my Library/Application Support! I have updated to Lion, installed Steam etc but don't have this extension. Any help to a doddering technical idiot would be appreciated!

I'm a mac novice, but this page might be of use to you. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23870010

particularly this post:

''Steam installs all library files at the user level. Your Steam library files will be installed at Code:

/Users/*/Library
Unfortunately in Lion a user's Library folder has been changed to a hidden folder so it won't show up, even though the system-wide Library folder located in the main directory will. To access the steam library folder under Lion go to the finder and select "Go to folder…" under the "Go" menu. Then type in Code:

/Users/Your User Name Here/Library
Access the Steam folder as you did previously (it's in the Application Support folder). ''

Jake,

I am one to welcome new stuff to improve FM, and even though ive had my moments with it, I can understand why its been brought in. So I can live with it.

However, can you not understand some peoples frustrations who have been waiting eagerly for a few months for the game to come out, and then end up struggling to even get the the game to load due to a new program which has never been needed before?

In my opinion "Just don't buy the game" is not very helpful to people who love to play FM every year, particularly people who don't have access to the internet.

Like I said just my opinion, so don't read too much into it!;)

That said I do think this thread will be useful so thanks!

Jake,

Many thanks, I would never have found those folders without your help. All looking good now, even found the 'fake' files for the German team!

Jake,

I am one to welcome new stuff to improve FM, and even though ive had my moments with it, I can understand why its been brought in. So I can live with it.

However, can you not understand some peoples frustrations who have been waiting eagerly for a few months for the game to come out, and then end up struggling to even get the the game to load due to a new program which has never been needed before?

In my opinion "Just don't buy the game" is not very helpful to people who love to play FM every year, particularly people who don't have access to the internet.

Like I said just my opinion, so don't read too much into it!;)

That said I do think this thread will be useful so thanks!

Of course i understand. But steam is an incredibly simple program to use, people are resistant to change, and i sense are just looking for a slight problem, giving them an opportunity to moan all over the forum. The reality is that most of these people won't have tried to steps outlined in my first post before deciding to post that steam is rubbish blah blah. The vast majority of steam related problems can be rectified by trying those steps. If they don't work then steam have a very good customer support team, and if they can't solve it then it's highly likely to be a user specific problem, ie its the persons computer not steam.

I'm not saying don't buy the game, but everyone knew months ago that steam would be required, so why didn't these people download steam, try one of the many free games available to familiarise themselves with it and to rectify any teething problems before release date?

Jake,

Many thanks, I would never have found those folders without your help. All looking good now, even found the 'fake' files for the German team!

No problems mate, glad to be of help.

cant play fm12!

steam error - this game if currently unavailable at the moment, please try again another time

can any 1 help with this???

i have done the Verfy integrity of game files on steam but now FMRTE now does not work because it says my version of steam is not recognised any ideas??

i have done the Verfy integrity of game files on steam but now FMRTE now does not work because it says my version of steam is not recognised any ideas??

I don't think FMRTE works because of todays update for FM. You'll have to obtain an updated FMRTE when released if I'm not mistaken (if someone can clarify)

I can't give you much details but - One of my friend has got free CD key, but he couldn't download it cause of slow internet(Croatia, bad internet provider) and I downloaded it... both he and I have succesfully managed to play the game offline, but we also installed the game with the same account to another friend and to no more friends cause only we like FM in this area...

Just to summarise, I and the one who got the free CD key(made logos and facepack for 63 teams on FM-Balkan) are running the game without a problem... However the third one got to the part when he choses clubs after entering manager details, he clicks on confirm but then the game blocks and crashes... what can I do to help him run the game normally?

Have exactly the same problem :/ Using Lion as well..

Mac OSX

Worked out how to change it and still didn't work..
So tried uninstall and reinstall but now its saying the servers are busy! :( Help would be much appreciated as this is extremely frustrating!