I had the same problem here, and just spent the whole afternoon trying to work out why my game wouldn't reinstall (I had foolishly uninstalled it thinking that a disc installation would be possible without steam until activation code, which obviously makes no sense when the game is already activated but whatever, I was clutching at straws).

It turns out that my error was not the game at all but a broader Steam problem that is affecting alot of people. See here.

What actually fixed it for me wasn't deleting, renaming or reinstalling, but simply choosing the right download cloud location. I had tried several (London, Manchester, Netherlands and it was originally set to Seattle for some reason). But when I set it to Spain/Portugal, it decided to work. Obviously the one that works may vary for everyone else and this might not be the universal fix, but I recommend trying a few different European countries before you give up.

EDIT - Classic case of speaking too soon. Now the game is sat at 0% and just keeps pausing the update.

EDIT 2 - Changed it a few times and Belgium worked. Now downloading properly. Make sure you arent downloading two things at once, mine tried to update another game at the same time last time which I think might have confused it into not working. It's also only downloading at 140kb/s so I will be here all night. Why I can't install from the disk after steam validation I don't know. That would be so much quicker...

EDIT 3 - And it stopped downloading at 1%, saying suspended. I went to steamapps folder, right clicked on the fm2012 folder, properties, unticked 'read only' and applied to this folder, sub folders etc. Now it is downloading again.

FINAL EDIT - Can confirm I am in game and it's working now. Fix was changing download location and restarting Steam repeatedly, then making sure the FM2012 destination folder in /steamapps/ wasn't set to read-only.

Last edited:
I've a quick question about Steam guys - the FM site etc says that my game will automatically update via Steam (updates now at 12.0.4).

However, my Steam is both online with automatic updates selected yet my game is still on version 12.0 - any ideas how I can get the game updated?

Thanks.

Having the exact same problem - any suggestions?

Hi
I need to access the 'in game menu' to reset my screenshot shortcut BUT the link I got on fm11 to access it has GONE please help me to access it if this helps I have a Apple computer.
Thanks

Last edited:
Forgive me if this has been raised before. I'm in work and have limited interwebs allowance so can't check every page.

Anyway, when i play this on my laptop, from what i can tell, the laptop overheats and the game/match engine slows way way down.

This never happened with any other fm and my laptop is pretty sweet (15 420, 4 gig ram, win 7 64 bit, ATI 5470 Mobility) so my question is this;

Is this because i'm running the game from Steam? I assume that running from a disc is the same as running from steam but i can't think of any other reasons....unless SI have changed how the code handles resources.

Have they?

Cheers

So, I want to buy FM12, and I'm considering buying via Steam, but I've some doubts..
Will I need to be online(not unlogged to Steam, without any internet conection) to play?
Is there any region problems with Steam? If I buy here, in Brazil, there will be no problems at all playing/dowloading?

I cannot load my game at all. I am getting the message that the game is unavailable. Why?
I have read some of the solutions on this thread but would need a Philadelphia Lawyer to sort it out.
I have written to Steam (but will probably have to wait the proverbial eternity) asking for not only an explanation but a solution. I have had no problem over the past 3 years with Steam but this is ridiculous. This is their problem and if they can 'update' my game at any time then they also have the power to correct the problem without asking me to uninstall/re-install, update, etc.,etc.
I note that previous versions of my game (FM2010/FM2011) are readily available and playable but not FM2012.
I will report back when I have received a reply from Steam.

Last edited:
Still unable to access my FM2012 and nothing from 'steam'.
I wonder if I am entitled to a refund/rebate seeing as the supplier is failing to supply?
I can still access my FM2009, FM2010 and FM2011 games but NOT my FM2012.
Very disappointing but will keep this thread informed.

How do you check if your FM has been updated by steam and is the most recent version? In the past it gave you the option to use the older versions but now I can't see this on FM12, anyone help?

Still unable to access my FM2012 and nothing from 'steam'.
I wonder if I am entitled to a refund/rebate seeing as the supplier is failing to supply?
I can still access my FM2009, FM2010 and FM2011 games but NOT my FM2012.
Very disappointing but will keep this thread informed.

Still nothing from Steam.
Still saying "Game is unavailable".
Most disappointing.

Got some Fatal Error last night, wont let me start Steam, wont let me reinstall it! lost everything! **** Steam!

Have you checked through steam's support page? You can do that with your internet browser.

If you can't find a solution, make sure your steam folder is deleted (not sitting in the bin) and then try reinstalling. You can always re-download all your games.

reformatting my pc, installing Win7 Professional and going to reinstall Steam, update and reinstall my game from my Cd :p

Still nothing from Steam.
Still saying "Game is unavailable".
Most disappointing.

And still nothing from Steam.
I submitted my query on Sunday 5th February and no reply on my Steam site yet. 5 days!!
I have had no trouble over 3 years so I don't wish to be harsh but I doubt I will ever deal with them again.

And still nothing from Steam.
I submitted my query on Sunday 5th February and no reply on my Steam site yet. 5 days!!
I have had no trouble over 3 years so I don't wish to be harsh but I doubt I will ever deal with them again.

Finally heard from Steam who have told me what to do IF I am running Windows 7 or Vista. I am running Windows XP so have asked for further instructions.
My other FM games are working perfectly so why can't they just uninstall my game and/or re-install another one.
What happened to the old 'Buy a game and stick the disc in' method. Do we have to have another party involved?
If we have to go with Steam then I feel there will be thousands give the game away.

Finally heard from Steam who have told me what to do IF I am running Windows 7 or Vista. I am running Windows XP so have asked for further instructions.
My other FM games are working perfectly so why can't they just uninstall my game and/or re-install another one.
What happened to the old 'Buy a game and stick the disc in' method. Do we have to have another party involved?
If we have to go with Steam then I feel there will be thousands give the game away.

Steam was chosen to combat piracy. And it worked as it took longer than last time to crack the game-and even now people who illegally downloaded it are having problems which is great to hear. And they can't give it away once it's been activated-once they've done it thats it.

Steam was chosen to combat piracy. And it worked as it took longer than last time to crack the game-and even now people who illegally downloaded it are having problems which is great to hear. And they can't give it away once it's been activated-once they've done it thats it.

Yes, I agree that is good but you have to wait the best part of a week for a solution to a problem it's not on.
I finally got a reply from Steam and, as I said in another post, I would just about need a Philadelphia Lawyer to interpret it. Thanks to the SI Forums, I was able to obtain a solution listed below for the benefit of any others with this intolerable problem:

"In your Steam library, right click Football Manager 2012. Select properties and go to 'Local Files' tab. Click the 'VERIFY INTERGRITY OF GAME CACHE...' button and wait for Steam to find problems with your game. It will redownload a bunch of files and you should be good to go".

Presto! So simple. Why couldn't Steam offer the same simple solution in a time less than a Carrier Pigeon could supply?

quick question. i had to format my laptop and i am going to reinstall FM 2012. can i select which update do i want while installing??