The Story of Ernie 'Little Ern' Allan

May 2018

May 2018

Bromley sacked their 2nd​ manager of the season as Kenny Brown loses his job! He managed 7 wins from his 21 games in charge but with Bromley finishing 23rd​ in the Vanarama National and being relegated to the Conference South, the Lilywhites will look to a new manager for next season. Still too early in my career for me to be considered for the job I think although I couldn’t resist the temptation to stick a cheeky application in (just to see).

View attachment 53472

View attachment 53470

Saturday 5th​ May 2018
Southern Counties East League Division One: Lewisham (Home)

Kick-off: 15:00
Lineup: Roughton, Mills, Hustwick, Tatham, Downs, Baffour (Joseph-Buadie 74), Hendrie, Allen, Logan, Guppy, Troke (Osei-Addo 74)

View attachment 53471

A good professional job when the lads could of switched off with this game not meaning anything. I’m pleased. Just one more game to go and then we can all have a well earned break!

Saturday 12th​ May 2018
Southern Counties East League Division One: Crockenhill (Away)

Lineup: Roughton, Mills, Hustwick, Tatham, Jibodu, Joseph-Buadi, Davis, Allen, Logan (Reid 61), Guppy (Hendrie 61), Troke (Osei-Addo 61)

View attachment 53469

The final game of the season saw league winners against the team that finished bottom. I told the lads to just go out there and have some fun. And they did exactly that, finishing the season off with a solid 2-0.

The final league table and we win the league at a canter by a clear 15 points. The gap between us and 3rd place was an incredible 26 points!!

View attachment 53468

Player of the Month: Brandon Joseph-Buadi

View attachment 53467

With me delivering a completely unexpected title this season, my board couldn't really refuse my request for them to fund another coaching badge.

View attachment 53466

End of Season Review

End of Season Review

The media are quick to point out our massive over-achievement this season in winning the league title, describing it as remarkable! We made the 2nd qualifying round of the FA Vase, which met our expectations, but I'd have liked to have gone a little further in that competition if I'm honest and think we had the capability too!

View attachment 53462

As you would expect, the board are delighted and have full confidence in me! Liam Archer is still backing me despite the fact he knows I've stuck in a cheeky application for that Bromley job!

View attachment 53461

On awards night, it was Anthony Guppy who was the star of the show. He absolutely ****** the fans player of the year, which I expected to be a lot closer with so many top performers this season. He also bagged signing of the season too. Brandon Joseph-Buadi picks up young signing of the season.

View attachment 53460

Here is the entire squad's stats for the season. Lewis Troke beats Anthony Guppy to the top goalscorer award by 3 goals, netting a total of 23 in 30 games! Osei-Addo was extremely impressive in the back stretch of the season and managed to finish up on 13 goals from just 17 games (only 7 of them were starts). The assists were pretty evenly shared amongst the midfield and attacking players with Troke, Guppy and Joseph-Buadi all getting over 10, and a number of other players setting up between 5 and 7 goals over the course of the year. Joseph-Buadi picked up the highest rating and if he'd have been here the whole season, might have challenged Guppy for that fan's award I reckon!

View attachment 53459

In the league rankings, my lads simply dominated all the stats. Starting with top goalscorers, we had 3 of the top 4, although Troke was just pipped by Erith's Daniel Bond.

View attachment 53458

In the most assists, my players took all of the top 3 spots!

View attachment 53457

And I think the average ratings show that my players would pretty much fill an entire 'team of the year' if there was one in this division!

View attachment 53456

Naturally the dynamics of the squad are in an extremely good place following such a successful season. Ben Watson is the only player who's a bit unhappy with his lack of first team chances. He'll be out of here in the Summer.

View attachment 53455

June 2018

June 2018

Two of my most senior players decided that they'll call time on their playing careers at the end of the season, as Lee Hendrie and Steve Taylor announce their retirements.

View attachment 53302

View attachment 53301

When I got that email come through inviting me to interview for the Bromley job, I was shocked to say the least! I didn't think they would even consider me. I mean, I know we had a great season last year, but I'm still so inexperienced and it would be a jump of about 4 leagues to manage them. Maybe they are giving me a shot because of my previous links with the club, I'm not sure. Either way, I jump at the opportunity to get myself in front of the board.

View attachment 53300

View attachment 53299

Gary Mills is the third player this month to announce his retirement.

View attachment 53298

The Bromley board don't keep me waiting long for an answer, which makes me think I wasn't really considered as a serious candidate for the job and maybe they just felt obligated to interview me because of my history with the club. I'm disappointed but not surprised.

View attachment 53297

Rod Stringer is the man they opt for.

View attachment 53296

The club have signed up a new kit sponsor for the next couple of years. However, I'm not sure who negotiated the deal as it's worth less than our previous one?!

View attachment 53295

During a meeting with Liam Archer, he gives me the budgets for the upcoming season. He regretfully informs me that there will be no money to sign new players, although he is increasing the wage budget by £250 per week to £1200 and hopes I can use these finds to boost the squad with a couple of quality additions.

View attachment 53294

It doesn't take long for me to add my first player to the squad for the upcoming season. Please welcome Frank Keita. Keita is a 20 year old English attacking midfielder, who can also play up front. He has some pace, good technique and is a tidy finisher. Frank joins us on a free transfer from Vanarama National side Boreham Wood. He'll be looking to make a name for himself, having only made 3 appearances for Wood over the past couple of seasons.

View attachment 53293

View attachment 53292

The fixture list for the new season is announced. Now, I'm not quite sure what has happened here. We are based in Bromley, Kent, but somehow we have been promoted into the English Northern League Division One. We'll kick off the season with a home game against Consett.

View attachment 53291

I have to double check the league structure in England to make sure we have actually taken a step up the ladder. Despite the fact we've ended up in a 'northern' league, it is a promotion to level 9.

View attachment 53290

View attachment 53289

The club announced some good profits last season and Archer presents me with the club's finances. We're in a good position for such a small club and seem to be making profit month on month.

View attachment 53288

View attachment 53287

Finally, we round of June with the departure of striker Ben Watson. He was bitterly disappointing last season and found himself well down the pecking order, despite the fact I had high hopes for him when he joined the club. Watson has moved on to Beckenham in the English Southern Counties East League, which is the division I expected us to be promoted in to following our league win last season.

View attachment 53286

WTF? Surely you should have been promoted into the Southern Counties East League Premier! THat is the biggest FM bug I've seen yet. Having said that, Frank Keita rings a bell, pretty sure he'll have his uses at your level.

I know in some regional leagues, clubs can end up in the "wrong" region because there's a surplus from another region - rather than having a regional league with too many clubs in it, some can spill over to fill gaps in other regions.

I think, anyway.

Keep it up mate, one league at a time!

Good luck with the Northern League, living in Newcastle i've played against a few of these teams!

WTF? Surely you should have been promoted into the Southern Counties East League Premier! THat is the biggest FM bug I've seen yet. Having said that, Frank Keita rings a bell, pretty sure he'll have his uses at your level.

It is weird...lots of long trips on the motorway for the lads this season! Keita looks good enough to challenge for a first team spot so I'm hoping he proves worthwhile

I know in some regional leagues, clubs can end up in the "wrong" region because there's a surplus from another region - rather than having a regional league with too many clubs in it, some can spill over to fill gaps in other regions.

I think, anyway.

Keep it up mate, one league at a time!

Cheers mate....whatever league we are in, it's all the same level as such so it shouldn't really matter with regards to the quality of opponents. I'm just worried about the amount of travel involved!

July 2018

July 2018

I made my second signing of the Summer. This time, it’s 33 year old Craig Jones, who joined from Stapenhill, where he made 20 appearances last year as a central midfielder. Jones has come entirely as a backup player and is here to add some experience (with me losing Hendrie and Mills in midfield). He’s likely to warm the bench for most of the season and only be used in times of desperation if we have an injury crisis but he boosts the numbers of the squad for now.

View attachment 53189

View attachment 53188

Brandon Joseph-Buadi has picked up an injury that will hinder his pre season preparation and he’ll miss some of the friendlies we have lined up.

View attachment 53186

France won the World Cup with a 1-0 victory over England in the final. There were no shock performers in the competition and everyone in the quarter finals was probably fully expected to be there! Belgium were possibly the biggest underachievers.

View attachment 53185

NOOOOO!!! One of our best players from last season has left the club as Brandon Joseph-Buadi joins Thurrock in the Evo-Stik Southern League Division One West. To be fair, they have offered him a proper contract on £140 per week….we can’t compete with that as our maximum offering is only £90 per game.

View attachment 53184

With Joseph-Buadi leaving the club, I turned to the transfer market in search of a replacement winger. I found one in Adam Kelly who joins us from Wembley. Adam can play down either flank and has some decent attributes at this level. On a direct comparison with Joseph-Buadi, he is actually a better player so this may not have worked out too bad after all.

View attachment 53183

View attachment 53182

He’s back! Laurence Ball returns to the club as I sign him for the 2nd​ time. Ball played 15 games for us last season before moving on to Ilkeston Town where he played another 15 games and helped them to win the Midland Football League Division One title. I like him and he did well for us so I’m pleased to have him back here!

View attachment 53181

View attachment 53180

And I added another centre back to the squad in Rob Gillman, who joins us from Thetford. Gillman only made 5 appearances for the Eastern Counties Premier side last season and that level is probably beyond him at the ripe old age of 34 now. But he can still offer us a solid backup option in defence this year.

View attachment 53179

View attachment 53178

Another defender joins the club, this time a right back. Welcome Eddie Odhiambo who will challenge Olly Willis for his place in the team. Eddie is a 32 year old Tanzanian who joins from Thetford, following Rob Gillman to the club. He made 12 appearances for them last season at a higher level than this, so is a good signing and can make his presence felt here.

View attachment 53177

View attachment 53176

Next up was another player who’d decided to move on and leave the club. Left back Jerome Jibodu accepted an offer from Hertford. He made a total of 15 appearances for us last season after becoming first choice when Chris Carruthers left the club.

View attachment 53175

The bookies reveal their odds prior to the new season kicking off and to my surprise we’re actually one of the favourites, with the media expecting us to make a bold bid for back to back promotions. Last season’s outstanding performance obviously gained us more plaudits than we first realised. One thing’s for sure, they’ll be a weight of expectation falling on our shoulders this season that wasn’t there last year.

View attachment 53174

I’m going to be honest, the pre season friendly campaign hasn’t gone to plan so far. From 4 games we have played this month, we’ve only managed one win despite the fact we’ve played 3 sides with a lower or equivalent reputation than us. My main concern at the moment is the amount of goals we seem to be conceding and we’ve looked very vulnerable at the back. New signings Adam Kelly and Frank Keita have found themselves on the scoresheet though which is good to see!

View attachment 53173

Whitley Bay are decent and have been to Wembley a number of times in recent years. As have North Shields and moreperh

August 2018

August 2018

We finish off the pre season campaign with a couple of wins, including an impressive 5-0 over Kent Football United, who were in our division last year.

View attachment 53105

With Jermone Jibodu leaving the club last month, it left a hole at left back that needed filling. We do still have Jake Downs at the club, but no other option in that position. I have therefore added 26 year old Connor Baker to the squad, who joins us from Great Yarmouth. Baker made 14 appearances for them last season in the Eastern Counties Premier and is a versatile defender who can play left back or centre back, so he is a very welcome addition to my team.

View attachment 53104

View attachment 53103

For the first time in my managerial career, I will manager in the FA Cup this season. The preliminary round has been drawn and we’ve been handed a home tie to Blaby & Whetstone from the East Midlands Counties League. That is a level 10 league in England, so officially we’re the higher rated side, so I’m hoping that we can progress to the first qualifying rounds.

View attachment 53102

I sat down with Liam Archer to discuss his expectations for the upcoming season. With the bookies making us one of the favourites to win the league, he has been pretty lenient in demanding only a top half finish so I’m pleased with that. He’d like us to make the qualifying rounds of the FA Cup, emphasising that there is some prize money to be had in that competition that could be huge for our tiny little club. And in the FA Vase, he’s looking for us to build on last year and make the 4th​ round at least.

View attachment 53101

As we approach the first game of the season, this is the current crop of players I am now working with after the Summer ‘ins and outs’.

View attachment 53100

Saturday 11th​ August 2018
Northern League Division One: Consett (Home)

Lineup: Roughton, Willis, Hustwick, Tatham, Downs (Baker 62), Kelly, Davis, Allen, Reid, Guppy (Keita 62), Osei-Addo (Troke 75)

View attachment 53099

What a way to kick off the new season!! We were excellent from the first minute to the last and we’ve made a massive statement to the rest of the league on the opening day! Kelvin Osei-Addo was in blistering form, scoring a hat trick and setting up the other two! He’s clearly going to be an important player for us this season and will surely be a massive contributor to any success we’re going to have.

Three players made their debut in the Consett game, but it was right winger Adam Kelly who stood out as he scored a goal and grabbed an assist on his first outing for the club!

View attachment 53098

Season ticket sales are on the up (just!). We’ve gained 7 extra on last season taking out total to 72.

View attachment 53097

Thank god for that!! Osei-Addo is staying as he rejects offers from other clubs. This lad is likely to be in demand throughout the entire season and I can only hope he decides to stay with us for as long as possible.

View attachment 53096

Tuesday 14th​ August 2018
Northern League Division One: Durham (Away)

Kick-off: 19:45
Lineup: Roughton, Willis, Ball, Tatham, Downs (Baker 58), Baffour, Jones, Allen, Reid (Kelly 73), Guppy, Osei-Addo (Troke 58)

View attachment 53095

Our second game of the season saw us take on league favourite Durham, and it was also the first Tuesday night match I’d managed in my career to date. Some rotation was necessary, with the lads only having a 3 day gap between games. It was a long old drive up to the North East and a new experience for most of the lads, with all of our games last year being within an hour away. However, it didn’t phase them and they turned in a solid performance away from home against one of the best sides in the league and came home with a well earned 3 points. I have to give a shout out to keeper Alex Roughton who made some crucial saves and although he didn’t get the official man of the match, he definitely got mine as we wouldn’t have won this game without his contribution.

Craig Jones was the latest player to make his debut for the club in the game against Durham. He gave a good account of himself in the centre of midfield, with a match rating of 7.1.

View attachment 53094

I thought I’d take this opportunity to share my tactic with you all. This has been the setup for every game since I took over so far and has brought us great success so far. I don’t use any downloaded tactics and create all of my own from start to finish, as I get more personal satisfaction from knowing I haven’t used a tactic that has ‘broken’ the game, which you could use to win any league with any team. I will always look at the players I have available and work a tactic to suit what I have…..or alternatively look to buy players to suit a tactic I want to play. In this case, I have been using a very simple version of a 4-4-2 as I believe you don’t want to overcomplicate things down at such a low level. Rather than using two strikers, I link the midfield to the attacker through a shadow striker in the attacking midfield role, who will also get forward A LOT to score plenty of goals and not leave the lone striker stranded with no support. On mentality, I play attacking at home and standard away. Obviously, I will change this depending on the situation in the game.

View attachment 53093

Saturday 18th​ August 2018
FA Cup Preliminary Round: Blaby & Whetstone (Home)

Lineup: Roughton, Odhiambo, Ball, Tatham, Baker, Baffour, Davis, Allen, Logan, Guppy, Troke

View attachment 53092

My first taste of the FA Cup and in the end it was a sweet one. We banged on the door throughout the whole first half but without success as we struggled to find the back of the net despite 10 shots on goal. However, the lads found their shooting boots in the second half and we put 4 past them to make it a pretty comfortable victory. Lewis Troke was given his first start of the season and made the most of the opportunity with a goal.

We’ve been drawn against Buckland Athletic in the next round of the FA Cup (which is till the preliminary rounds). Buckland play in the Western League Premier Division which is on the same tier level as us (level 9). They’ve opened their season with a win and a draw in that league and sit 5th​.

View attachment 53091

Wednesday 22nd​ August 2018
Northern League Division One: West Auckland (Home)

Lineup: Roughton, Odhiambo (Willis 61), Ball, Tatham, Baker, Kelly, Davis, Allen (Baffour 68), Reid, Guppy (Keita 61), Osei-Addo

View attachment 53090

Last week we played our first Tuesday night game and this week we played our first Wednesday night match. However, with us being at home, most of the lads didn’t have to get themselves an early finish off work for this one. West Auckland came into this game with a narrow 4-3-3 formation which suited us down to the ground. I told my boys to play narrower (so we wasn’t overrun by their narrow formation), but to exploit the flanks when going forward. It worked a treat as we demolished them 4-1 and 3 of our assists came from our wingers.

Frank Keita picked up an injury in training that will see him miss the next 3 weeks of action.

View attachment 53089

Saturday 25th​ August 2018
Northern League Division One: Newcastle Benfield (Away)

Lineup: Roughton, Odhiambo, Ball, Tatham, Downs, Kelly, Jones, Allen, Reid, Guppy, Osei-Addo

View attachment 53088

Our trips to the North East have proven fruitful so far as we come away with another good win. After Adam Kelly got us off to the perfect start in the 3rd​ minute, we never looked back and never looked like losing this one. Although the stats suggested a close game, all of their shots were hopeful efforts from a long way out which never troubled Roughton between the sticks.

Tuesday 28th​ August 2018
Northern League Division One: Billingham Town (Away)

Lineup: Roughton, Odhiambo, Ball, Tatham (Hustwick 60), Baker, Baffour (Kelly 57), Davis, Allen, Logan, Guppy, Osei-Addo (Troke 57)

View attachment 53087

Our first defeat of the season as the lads looked lethargic throughout. Maybe the busy August schedule is catching up with them, I’m not sure, but we simply were not good enough. Billingham played well and striker Ryan Oliver had a field day against us, scoring all four of their goals!

Despite losing against Billingham Town, we still did enough to finish the month at the top of the league. An average of 3 goals per game is impressive and I wonder how long we can keep up such a high rate of goals scored.

View attachment 53086

Player of the Month: Kelvin Osei-Addo

View attachment 53084

September offers up another very busy month with 2 games a week and I will be sure to rotate the squad to try keep the players as fresh as possible. I’ll also look at switching our training schedule from team cohesion to fitness. We kick off with our FA Cup game against Buckland, and we’ll finish the month with our first game in the FA Vase as well (not drawn yet).

View attachment 53083

September 2018

September 2018

Saturday 1st​ September 2018
FA Cup 2nd​ Preliminary Round: Buckland (Away)

Lineup: Roughton, Willis, Gillman, Tatham (Ball 67), Baker, Kelly, Davis (Jones 67), Allen (Hendrie 77), Reid, Guppy, Osei-Addo

View attachment 53003

This was a really tight game with both sets of players looking nervous at the prospect of making it through to the official qualifying rounds. But it was us that just edged it on the day with a narrow 1-0!

Rob Gillman made his debut for the club, playing at centre back in the Buckland game. He didn’t have the best of games with a 6.3 match rating although the team did keep a clean sheet.

View attachment 53002

We were in the draw for the 1st​ qualifying round of the FA Cup and I was pleased to have been given a home tie. We’ll play Raynes Park Vale from the Combined Counties League Division One which is a tier 10 league, so we’ll be the favourites for this one and have a good opportunity to progress in the competition.

View attachment 53001

For the first time this season, I am linked to another job. This time it is Ramsgate who are currently 22nd​ in the Bostik Football League Division One South. That’s the 8th​ tier of English football and would see me climb the ladder, but I’m happy here for now and the job has no appeal.

View attachment 53000

Wednesday 5th​ September 2018
Northern League Division One: Marske (Home)

Lineup: Roughton, Odhiambo, Hustwick (Ball 78), Tatham, Baker, Kelly, Davis, Allen, Reid, Guppy (Hendrie 78), Osei-Addo

View attachment 52999

Marske had not started the season well and were bottom of the table, having lost all of their opening 5 games. And we piled on the misery for them with another defeat. No fireworks today, just a professional job done as we record a comfortable 2-0 win.

Saturday 8th​ September 2018
FA Cup 1st​ Qualifying Round: Raynes Park (Home)

Lineup: Roughton, Willis, Hustwick, Gillman, Downs, Baffour, Jones, Allen, Logan (Reid 57), Guppy, Troke (Osei-Addo 57)

View attachment 52998

I had to make a large number of changes for this one due to some fatigue in the squad, a total of 7 in fact and it worried me going into the game. I was right to be worried as we fell to a 1-0 defeat against our lower league opposition and I’m disappointed to go out of the competition here as I felt we could have got through a couple more rounds.

We have drawn Herne Bay in the 2nd​ qualifying round of the FA Vase. Herne Bay play their football in the Southern Counties East League which is tier 9 (same as us).

View attachment 52997

Wednesday 12th​ September 2018
Northern League Division One: Guisborough (Home)

Lineup: Roughton, Odhiambo, Hustwick, Tatham, Downs, Kelly, Davis, Hendrie (Keita 60), Logan (Reid 79), Guppy, Osei-Addo

View attachment 52996

This was a really tight game and either side could have taken it on the day. But it was our opponents who scored the late goal to take all 3 points as we suffered back to back defeats.

Saturday 15th​ September 2018
Northern League Division One: Whitley Bay (Home)

Lineup: Roughton, Willis, Hustwick, Tatham, Downs, Kelly, Davis, Allen, Reid, Guppy, Troke (Keita 65)

View attachment 52995

Another close game that could have gone either way. This time it ends in a draw and we did well to hold on in the end, having to play with 10 men for the last 25 minutes after Charlie Allen saw red.

I have now completed my coaching badge and hold a National B License.

View attachment 52994

Tuesday 18th​ September 2018
Northern League Division One: Hebburn (Away)

Lineup: Roughton, Odhiambo, Hustwick, Baker, Downs, Kelly, Davis, Guppy, Reid, Keita, Osei-Addo

View attachment 52993

Back to winning ways after 3 games without a win. A couple of goals from Osei-Addo were enough to secure us victory. Adam Kelly has come in for some harsh criticism lately, so I’m pleased he picks up a couple of assists and the man of the match award!

Saturday 22nd​ September 2018
Northern League Division One: Ashington (Away)

Lineup: Roughton, Odhiambo (Willis 45), Hustwick, Baker, Downs, Kelly (Troke 63), Davis, Guppy, Reid, Keita (Allen 45), Osei-Addo

View attachment 52992

Defensively we were ****** awful! We should never have lost this game when they went down to 10 men in just the 6th​ minute!! We went on to have 24 shots on goal and only managed to put one past Ashington keeper Conor Grant who had the game of his life and is almost solely responsible for Ashington getting the win here.

Big BREXIT news! It’s official, the UK will leave the EU at the end of the season.

View attachment 52991

Wednesday 26th​ September 2018
Northern League Division One: Sunderland RCA (Away)

Lineup: Roughton, Odhiambo, Hustwick, Tatham, Downs, Kelly, Davis (Jones 66), Allen, Reid, Guppy, Osei-Addo (Troke 66)

View attachment 52990

Our third away game in 8 days and all this travelling up north must be getting to the lads! But you wouldn’t have thought it with the performance here. Going forward, we were simply unstoppable, putting 6 past Sunderland. We weren’t great in defence as we conceded 4 again, but a win’s a win no matter how it comes. Osei-Addo was incredible today as he bagged 4 goals for himself!

I stay committed to Elmstead once again as I’m linked to another team in the higher league, this time it is AFC Sudbury who sit bottom of the Bostik Football League Division One North.

View attachment 52989

Saturday 29th​ September 2018
FA Vase 2nd​ Qualifying Round: Herne Bay (Home)

Lineup: Roughton, Odhiambo, Hustwick, Tatham, Downs, Baffour, Davis (Jones 70), Allen, Logan, Guppy, Osei-Addo (Troke 70)

View attachment 52988

Herne Bay gave us more of a game than I think we were expecting, but we got the job done and will advance to the next round. The scoreline flattered us if I’m honest as the game was a lot closer than the result suggests.

We’ll take on one of last season’s rivals in Gravesham in the 1st​ round of the FA Vase. The draw saw us picked as the home side for the game which will be played on 27th​ October.

View attachment 52987

Our league form has been indifferent to say the least this month, but we remain in the top 3 and stay in contention with the top teams in the division.

View attachment 52986

Player of the Month: Adam Kelly

View attachment 52985

October won’t be quite as hectic with nearly half the amount of games scheduled as in September. I’m hoping we can pick up a few points as we don’t play any team inside the current top 10!

View attachment 52984

October 2018

October 2018

Lee Hendrie has picked up a sports hernia injury that will see him out for the next 2 months. At the age of 41, I’m surprised he hasn’t decided to call it a day.

View attachment 52905

Saturday 6th​ October 2018
Northern League Division One: Seaham (Away)

Lineup: Roughton, Odhiambo, Hustwick, Tatham, Downs, Kelly, Davis, Allen, Logan, Guppy, Osei-Addo

View attachment 52904

A really poor result against a side struggling in the bottom third of the table. We just weren’t good enough. No excuses for this and the dodgy defence is starting to become a bit of a worry to me now as we are conceding far too many goals. A dip into the transfer market may be imminent.

I guess it was only a matter of time before a bigger team prized away our star player, Kelvin Osei-Addo. And I’m gutted that it has happened but I can only wish him all the best as he joins Poole Town in the National League South. It’s a big step up for the lad that I guess he just couldn’t turn down. He will now be earning £220 per game rather than the £90 per game he was earning for us. Osei-Addo had an amazing record for us, scoring 27 goals in 28 games!

View attachment 52903

The board have agreed to fund my development once again and I will spend the next 4 month studying for my National A License coaching badge.

View attachment 52902

Sunday 14th​ October 2018
Northern League Division One: Billingham Synthonia (Home)

Lineup: Roughton, Odhiambo, Hustwick, Ball, Downs (Baker 61), Kelly, Davis, Allen, Reid, Guppy, Troke (Keita 61)

View attachment 52901

First game without Osei-Addo and we struggle to score a goal. I hope it isn’t a sign of things to come! It was a long time coming but eventually we bagged a winner in the dying moments of the game through substitute Frank Keita.

Marlow came out of nowhere and offered me a job interview. I checked out the club and saw they were a division above me in the Evo-Stik Southern League Division One East, but struggling down in 18th​. The job doesn’t appeal and I reject the interview.

View attachment 52900

Shane Newton has joined the club on a free transfer from London Colney. I was keen to add another striker quickly after the departure of Osei-Addo and Shane met the requirements I was looking for as he has good pace and finishing (as did Osei-Addo). He has a pretty poor scoring record with only 5 goals in 28 games for Colney but that has been at a slightly higher level.

View attachment 52899

View attachment 52898

Saturday 20th October 2018
Northern League Division One: Jarrow Roofing (Home)

Lineup: Roughton, Odhiambo, Hustwick, Ball, Downs, Kelly, Davis, Allen, Reid (Logan 62), Guppy, Troke (Newton 62)

View attachment 52897

Our domination was pretty clear. Our finishing was very poor….6 clear cut chances created and only 2 goals scored. But we got the win which is the most important thing.

As mentioned above, Shane Newton made his debut from the bench in the game against Jarrow Roofing. He did OK, but did miss an absolute sitter towards the end.

View attachment 52896

I wonder whether it is a tactical game from the Morpeth chairman as he offers me the opportunity to interview for the club’s manager role, with our game against them only a couple of days away. I certainly would not move for another club in the same league and below me in the table, so I quickly decline his invitation.

View attachment 52895

Wednesday 24th​ October 2018
Northern League Division One: Morpeth (Away)

Lineup: Roughton, Odhiambo, Hustwick, Ball, Downs, Kelly, Davis, Allen, Reid, Guppy (Keita 45), Newton (Troke 45)

View attachment 52894

A tight game in which we just about came out on top. Lewis Troke was dropped for this one following a spell of poor performances, but he did the job today coming off the bench at half time to grab two goals and all 3 points for The *****.

Yaxley are the latest club to invite me to interview for their vacant manager post. Again, I take a look at the club and although it would be a step up into the English United Counties League Premier Division, there is just nothing about the club that appeals to me, so I reject the offer.

View attachment 52893

Saturday 27th​ October 2018
FA Vase 1st​ Round: Gravesham (Home)

Lineup: Taylor, Odhiambo (Willis 69), Hustwick, Ball, Downs, Kelly, Davis, Allen, Reid, Keita (Guppy 69), Newton

View attachment 52892

With us coming up against lower league opposition here, I thought I’d give Steve Taylor a rare start in goal. What a f*cking mistake that turned out to be as he didn’t save a shot in the first half and conceded three as Lee Egan made a mockery of our defence. A couple of first half goals of our own did keep us in contention though and the boys got a massive kick up the **** from me at half time. It seemed to work as we were a **** of a lot better in the second half. However, we only managed the one goal in the second 45 minutes which was only enough to salvage a draw and the game will now go to a replay.

Wow, Shane Newton really was in sh*t form before he joined us. The two goals he scored against Gravesham were in fact his first in 17 games!!

View attachment 52891

Left back Jake Downs has left the club. Downs had made 12 appearances for us this season with an average rating of 6.92 and contributed 1 assist. Downs leaves to join Brockenhurst in the Sydenhams Wessex Premier which is on par with our league so I’m not quite sure what motivated the move. He is on the same money he was here so it wasn’t that and Brockenhurst are 13th​ in their league too, so a title or promotion looks very unlikely with them. Maybe he just didn’t like my aftershave?! I really should stop wearing that cheap sh*t off the market.

View attachment 52890

Tuesday 30th​ October 2018
FA Vase 1st​ Round Replay: Gravesham (Away)

Lineup: Roughton, Odhiambo, Hustwick, Tatham, Baker, Baffour, Jones, Allen, Logan, Guppy, Newton (Troke 60)

View attachment 52889

Well this was a game I could have done without. But we made light work of the replay and are through to the 2nd​ round pretty easily. Just a shame we couldn’t do that first time round and avoid an unnecessary game for the lads.

We’ll play Welwyn Garden City in the FA Vase 2nd​ round. We’ve been drawn away against the side from the Spartan South Midlands Premier Division. That league is also in tier 9 of the English structure so it should be an even game.

View attachment 52888

Although we started the month off with a poor defeat to Seaham, we picked our form up well after that, recording 3 wins in a row in the league. It ensures that we stay in the top 3 for another month, although Durham are looking very strong title contenders and will be tough to catch.

View attachment 52887

Player of the Month: Charlie Allen

View attachment 52886

The lads can almost have a rest next month as our schedule calms right down with only 4 games to play. We kick off the month with games against Penrith and North Shields who sit 7th​ and 8th​ in the table.

View attachment 52885

Shame to see Addo leave, good form in the league though and the FA Vase run must have brought in a little extra money? KIU

Shame to see Addo leave, good form in the league though and the FA Vase run must have brought in a little extra money? KIU

I was gutted mate! It's not as much as I hoped to be honest mate....only £750 for the qualifying round and £875 for the 1st round.

So...what sort of club are you looking to move on to from here?