The Story of Ernie 'Little Ern' Allan

• Thread starter Thread starter FM_TNSSO
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 214
  • Views Views 24K
Really enjoying the read so far, I commend you on your loyalty, though I think I would have jumped up to the National League given half a chance!

Really enjoying the read so far, I commend you on your loyalty, though I think I would have jumped up to the National League given half a chance!

Thanks so much for following and I'm glad you're enjoying the story. I was tempted with the Dag & Red job I have to admit, but I think if I have a really good first half of the season with Chelmsford, I could possibly have football league teams knocking at my door so I'm kinda holding out for that

August 2019

August 2019

Just before the season starts, we get a trouncing from our senior affiliate Bolton in our final friendly of the pre season campaign.

View attachment 51388

Right back, Elliott Omozusi will miss the opening 3 weeks of the season with an injury.

View attachment 51387

The board give me their expectations for the upcoming season. They’re looking for a minimum of playoffs which is pretty lenient considering we are 2nd​ favourites for the title. It won’t be easy but to reach the 1st​ round of the FA Cup would be great and would hopefully provide a decent boost to the finances. I’d like to go a bit further than the 3rd​ round of the FA Trophy if I’m honest.

View attachment 51386

Saturday 10th​ August 2019
Vanarama National South: Truro (Home)

Kick-off: 15:00
Lineup: Smith, Moulden (Jones 61), Cartwright (Howlett-Mundle 45), Omar, McLennan, Sarmento, Chapman, Payne, Hope, Ibehre, Brown (Jackson 61)

View attachment 51385

It was a pretty familiar lineup from last season on the opening day, with the only new faces in the first 11 being the two young loanees from Bolton, Moulden at right back and Brown up front. But it was Simeon Jackson who was the forefront of anything good from us as he came off the bench to score two goals which saw us turn around a 2-0 deficite to take the lead. However, Jackson was then forced off with an injury, leaving us to play the final 10 minutes with only 10 men after I’d used all three of my subs. This allowed Truro to apply more pressure and they found an equalizer late on. A disappointing draw in a game we dominated but defensively we just weren’t good enough!

Craig Jones made his debut in the game against Truro, coming off the bench to give a decent performance. Edward Moulden and Eddie Brown also made their debuts for the club.

View attachment 51384

The star of the show against Truro, Simeon Jackson, has picked up an injury that will keep him out for over a month!

View attachment 51383

18 year old central midfielder, Luke Nippard, has joined the club as a hot prospect for the future. He looks like he has some potential and I may be using him here and there to give him some first team exposure although he’ll spend most of the season playing for the U23s and U18s. Nippard is yet to make a competitive appearance, having come through the youth system at Bournemouth.

View attachment 51382

View attachment 51381

There has been a slight rise in season ticket sales this season tipping us over the 350 mark.

View attachment 51380

Tuesday 13th​ August 2019
Vanarama National South: Dulwich Hamlet (Away)

Kick-off: 19:45
Lineup: Smith, Moulden (Sarmento 59), Cartwright, Omar, McLennan, Jones, Chapman, Payne (Smile 35), Woolford, Ibehre, Brown (Mackail-Smith 59)

View attachment 51379

It was hard to tell if we were poor or they were good or a combination of the two. Either way it simply isn’t a good start to the season failing to win any of our opening two games.

Saturday 17th​ August 2019
Vanarama National South: Hampton & Richmond Borough (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Jones, Cartwright, Omar, McLennan, Sarmento, Chapman (Smile 70), Payne, Woolford, Ibehre, Brown (Mackail-Smith 70)

View attachment 51378

Three games into the season and we get our first win on the board and our first clean sheet as well. A professional job well done against a good side in H&R who suffer defeat for the first time this season. The bookies look like they were right to tip Ibehre to be amongst the top goalscorers this season as he bags himself another 2 here taking his tally to 3 in 3.

Saturday 24th​ August 2019
Vanarama National South: Weston-super-Mare (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Jones, Cartwright, Omar, McLennan, Sarmento, Chapman, Payne, Woolford (Hope 62), Ibehre, Mackail-Smith (Duxbury 62)

View attachment 51377

This game was incredibly boring for 75 minutes and then came to life in the final 15. It was us that asserted ourselves in the end, taking the lead through centre back Juma Omar, with a proper striker’s finish as he volleyed home. 17 year old striker, Nathan Duxbury, who I promoted from the U18s side this Summer, then came off the bench to secure the 3 points with his first senior goal on his debut.

As mentioned above, Nathan Duxbury came off the bench to make his debut against Weston-super-Mare and bagged himself a goal too.

View attachment 51376

And here he is…

View attachment 51375

Tuesday 27th​ August 2019
Vanarama National South: Concord Rangers (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Jones (Omozusi 66), Cartwright, Omar, McLennan, Sarmento, Chapman, Payne, Woolford, Ibehre, Mackail-Smith (Duxbury 66)

View attachment 51374

Concord came into this game having lost all 4 of their opening games of the season and sitting rock bottom of the table. And within 10 minutes, we had our Essex counterparts staring defeat in the face again as Jabo Ibehre bagged two early goals. They did, however, manage to get a goal back right on the stroke of half time to keep them in the game. But they never managed to push on from that in the 2nd​ half and we saw it out for our 3rd​ win on the bounce.

Saturday 31st​ August 2019
Vanarama National South: Maidenhead (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Jones, Cartwright, Omar, McLennan (Hope 61), Sarmento, Chapman, Payne (Smile 61), Woolford, Ibehre, Mackail-Smith

View attachment 51373

This was looking like a very comfortable win when we were 3-0 up and cruising. However, we completely switched off at that point and nearly threw it away and found ourselves hanging on grimly for the final 15 minutes. But we got the win which is the most important thing. Ben Chapman’s opening goal was an absolute banger from 30 yards straight in the top corner!!

After a shaky start to the season, we picked our form up to record 4 wins in a row which sees us finishing August inside the top 3.

View attachment 51372

Player of the Month: Jabo Ibehre

View attachment 51371

September will be a relatively quiet month with only 4 games to play, 1 a week. We kick off against league favourites Boreham Wood in what is sure to be a tough encounter. We’ll also take on Chippenham who have had a strong start to the campaign and find themselves 2nd​ in the league early on.

View attachment 51370

September 2019

September 2019

Saturday 7th​ September 2019
Vanarama National South: Boreham Wood (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Jones, Cartwright, Omar, McLennan, Sarmento (Omozusi , Chapman, Payne, Woolford, Ibehre (Duxbury , Mackail-Smith (Howlett-Mundle 89)

View attachment 51333

There’s no doubt about it, Boreham Wood were the better side in this game. However, a combination of them struggling to take chances and Grant Smith making some amazing saves, meant they failed to score a goal. We might have only managed 2 shots in the game, but Mackail-Smith took our best chance very well and we went on to defend that 1-0 lead and grabbed a massive win against arguably the best side in the league.

The draw for the FA Cup 2nd​ Qualifying Round took place and we’ve been handed an away tie against East Thurrock who were relegated from our league last season. We’ve not lost to East Thurrock in our previous four meetings so I’m hoping we can continue the trend and progress in the competition. The Chippenham league game has now been moved to a Tuesday evening fixture.

View attachment 51332

Saturday 14th​ September 2019
Vanarama National South: Eastbourne Borough (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Jones, Cartwright, Omar, McLennan (Hope 68), Sarmento, Chapman (Smile 63), Payne, Woolford, Ibehre (Jackson 63), Mackail-Smith

View attachment 51330

A good home win against a struggling Eastbourne side keeps our winning streak going. My strikers were bang on form today and made the most of their opportunities.

Saturday 21st​ September 2019
FA Cup 2nd​ Qualifying Round: East Thurrock (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Howlett-Mundle, Omar, McLennan, Sarmento (Jones 38), Chapman, Payne, Hope, Ibehre, Duxbury (Jackson 63)

View attachment 51327

With us playing lower league opposition, I took the opportunity to rotate the squad a little, with Omozusi, Howlett-Mundle, Hope and Duxbury all entering the starting lineup. I thought the squad I picked would be able to do enough to see us through, but I was wrong as they laboured to a draw. In fact, Thurrock should of won the game as they missed a late penalty and a glorious one on one chance in the dying minutes, hitting the post.

The biggest disappointment of the FA Cup game was not the result, but the injury to right winger Joshua Sarmento which is going to keep him out for 6 weeks.

View attachment 51325

The FA Cup replay against East Thurrock was set to be my 100th​ game in football management. Nearly 2 and a half years ago I started on this journey and never could of imagined myself sitting here 100 games later with a league title and a manager of the year award to my name.

View attachment 51324

Tuesday 24th​ September 2019
FA Cup 2nd​ Qualifying Round Replay: East Thurrock (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Moulden, Howlett-Mundle, Omar, McLennan, Jones, Chapman, Payne (Smile 61), Hope, Jackson, Mackail-Smith (Brown 61)

View attachment 51323

The replay was a completely different story as we were dominant for virtually the entire 90 minutes. The lads helped me celebrate my 100th​ game in management with a big win and ensure it is a milestone I can look back on fondly! Four different goalscorers chipped in for our 4 goals.

We were in the draw for the 3rd​ qualifying round of the FA Cup after the win against East Thurrock. We’ve been handed another away tie, this time against fellow National South side Gloucester City.

View attachment 51322

Saturday 28th​ September 2019
Vanarama National South: Wealdstone (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Moulden, Howlett-Mundle, Omar (Cartwright 69), McLennan, Jones, Chapman, Smile (Payne 69), Hope, Ibehre, Mackail-Smith (Jackson 69)

View attachment 51321

This was a tough result to take as we didn’t play badly at all as a team. We just had some moments of bad defending and the strikers didn’t take their chances. I’ll give credit to Wealdstone though, they played well in this one, but we definitely didn’t deserve to be on the end of a 3-0 defeat.

We remain 3rd​ in the league, but well in touch as nobody has really asserted themselves on this league yet, as demonstrated by the fact there is only 4 points separating the top 9.

View attachment 51320

Player of the Month: Craig Jones

View attachment 51319

October is going to be a busy month with 5 league games and the 3rd​ qualifying round of the FA Cup. We kick off with a tough away day against Chippenham and we’ll also play against our fiercest rivals Braintree.

View attachment 51318

Great job you've done with Chelmsford so far mate, promotion and a decent FA Cup run will surely grab the attention of some clubs in the football league!

Thanks mate....really appreciate you following the story. I am hoping I can do enough to capture the attention of some football league clubs. But I might be in a predicament of 'do I leave or 'do I see the season out and try to win another league title here first'

Just read this start to finish (Quiet day at work!) Great read and have thoroughly enjoyed it! Congrats on the 1st season heroics! Hopefully this season finishes strongly for you! I may be wrong here, Ben Greenhalgh who was at concord, Wasnt that the fella who won the sky one football competition and signed for Inter?

Just read this start to finish (Quiet day at work!) Great read and have thoroughly enjoyed it! Congrats on the 1st season heroics! Hopefully this season finishes strongly for you! I may be wrong here, Ben Greenhalgh who was at concord, Wasnt that the fella who won the sky one football competition and signed for Inter?

Thanks mate....really appreciate the positive feedback and glad you're enjoying the read. And yes, you are bang on about Greenhalgh.....

View attachment 51261

Ha! I though he would of been in his early 30s now! Im guessing his stats must be pretty poor considering hes gone from Inter to Concord!

For this level, they're actually not too bad. But his performances for them have been pretty shocking to be fair. Only has a 6.55 average rating this season, but I think they are playing him as a midfielder, where as I think his stats show he'd be better as a striker.

View attachment 51260

October 2019

October 2019

Tuesday 1st​ October 2019
Vanarama National South: Chippenham (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cartwright, Omar (Howlett-Mundle 11), McLennan, Jones, Chapman (Smile 58), Payne, Woolford, Ibehre, Mackail-Smith (Jackson 58)

View attachment 51255

What a game!! Twice we fought back from a goal down, before racing into a 4-2 lead and putting the game beyond our opponents. They got a consolation goal at the end but it wasn’t enough. This was a really good win against one of the top 6.

Young centre back, Juma Omar, has suffered concussion in the game against Chippenham and will miss 3 weeks of action. It leaves me pretty thin on the ground for central defenders with only Cartwright and Howlett-Mundle available for that position now.

View attachment 51254

Sunday 6th​ October 2019
FA Cup 2nd​ Qualifying Round: Gloucester City (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi (Moulden 72), Cartwright, Howlett-Mundle, McLennan (Hope 72), Jones, Chapman, Payne, Woolford, Ibehre (Jackson 45), Brown

View attachment 51253

For the first time in my management career, I’m absolutely livid with my team! We take a 2-0 lead and are looking real comfortable. I tell the lads at half time not to get complacent and what do they do….not even come out the changing room for the 2nd​ half. We were f*cking awful in that second 45 minutes and don’t deserve to be going through after that! I’ll tell you boots were flying after that game!!

A dip into the transfer market for a new centre back was much needed and after a bit of scouting and a lot of searching around, I’ve got my man. 31 year old Ryan Cresswell joins the club on a free transfer. Cresswell is a seasoned professional who has played for the likes of Rotherham and Northampton at League Two level. More recently, he has spent the past 3 seasons with Eastleigh where he has made 77 appearances in the Vanarama National League.

View attachment 51252

View attachment 51251

Saturday 12th​ October 2019
Vanarama National South: Hemel Hempstead (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cartwright, Howlett-Mundle, McLennan, Jones, Payne (Chapman 63), Smile, Woolford, Ibehre (Brown 63), Mackail-Smith

View attachment 51250

A real cracker of a game for both sets of fans and for a while it was hard to call which way it would go. However, we were just too strong on the day and a hat trick from Craig Mackail-Smith got us over the line and back to winning ways after the disappointment of our FA Cup exit last week.

Tuesday 15th​ October 2019
Vanarama National South: Woking (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cartwright, Cresswell, McLennan, Jones, Payne, Chapman, Woolford (Hope 60), Ibehre (Brown 60), Mackail-Smith

View attachment 51249

This was the 2nd​ time this season we were dominated at home against a relegated side (Boreham Wood earlier). And again it was the 2nd​ time we managed to carve out a narrow 1-0 win and defend brilliantly. What a debut it was for Ryan Cresswell in central defence who was a pivotal part of the performance today and a major contributor to that clean sheet!

As mentioned above, Ryan Cresswell made his debut against Woking and turned in a fantastic performance at centre back. Really impressive stuff from the new man!

View attachment 51248

Saturday 19th​ October 2019
Vanarama National South: Braintree (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cresswell, Omar, McLennan, Jones, Payne, Smile, Woolford, Ibehre, Mackail-Smith

View attachment 51247

As far as the fans were concerned, this was going to be one of our biggest games of the season, as we took on our fiercest rivals Braintree. With our rivals languishing down in 16th​ place in the table, we went into the match as hot favourites, but as we all know, that means nothing when you’re playing your rivals. But today the odds proved true as we completely destroyed Braintree in a very one sided game. The stats made it look even, but every one of their shots was long range and hopeful, where as we created chance after chance and could have had 5 or 6. I don’t want to speak too soon, but Ryan Cresswell is looking like a beast at the back and could become a very big part of our season from here on out.

Sunday 27th​ October 2019
Vanarama National South: Oxford City (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cartwright, Omar, McLennan, Jones, Payne, Smile, Woolford (Hope 87), Ibehre, Mackail-Smith (Brown 87)

View attachment 51246

A tough game in which both sides had their chances. Unfortunately, they took one of theirs are we didn’t.

I’m linked with the vacant Barrow job and very quickly distanced myself from it. They sit well adrift at the bottom of the National League and although it may be an immediate jump up a division, they look destined for a season of struggle which I want no part of.

View attachment 51245

We sit pretty at the top of the division and 4 points clear too! More importantly, we are a good 9 points clear in the playoff spots, which is what the board want me to deliver this season. For now, things are rosy in Chelmsford and we’re flying.

View attachment 51244

Player of the Month: Craig Jones

View attachment 51243

5 games coming up in November. 4 in the league and the FA Trophy 2nd​ qualifying round which is yet to be drawn. We’ll face a top of the table clash with Dartford which could be a defining moment in our title challenge this year.

View attachment 51242

November 2019

November 2019

Saturday 2nd​ November 2019
Vanarama National South: Hungerford Town (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi (Moulden 59), Cresswell, Omar, McLennan, Jones, Chapman, Payne, Woolford, Jackson, Mackail-Smith (Ibehre 59)

View attachment 51181

Hungerford were right up there and involved last year, but this season they so far find themselves in mid table obscurity. However, that didn’t stop them nicking a point off us here as they held us to a draw. Twice we fought back from a goal down to level things up, but we definitely should of won this in the 2nd​ half.

For the first time in my career, I am linked with a club in the football league….yes an actual football league club might want little old me. I’m so flattered that when asked about the Carlisle job in a press interview, I can’t bring myself to distance myself from it.

View attachment 51180

We’ll invite Royston to the Chelmsford Sports & Athletic Centre for the 2nd​ qualifying round of the FA Trophy. We’re sure to be heavy favourites to win this one.

View attachment 51179

The board feed my ego a little more, releasing a press statement saying they want me to stay following the reports linking me with the Carlisle job.

View attachment 51178

Tuesday 5th​ November 2019
Vanarama National South: Dartford (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cresswell, Omar, McLennan, Jones, Payne, Smile, Woolford, Ibehre, Jackson

View attachment 51177

1st​ v 2nd​ in the league in arguably our biggest game of the season so far. Simeon Jackson had been pressing me lately for more first team football and I’d promised him some more starts in the upcoming games and he repaid my faith here with the opening goal inside 5 minutes. We were soon 2-0 up and it looked like a massive win was on the cards, before the Darts got a goal back just before half time to get themselves back in it. Dartford were like a team possessed in that 2nd​ half and looked like a different outfit altogether from their 1st​ half performance and quickly found themselves back on level terms when Alfie Payne bagged his 2nd​ goal of the game. They pushed and pushed for a winner, but we defended well and earned an important draw. But I’m still disappointed at the lads for throwing a 2-0 lead in such a big game.

This story revolving around me joining Carlisle as their new manager is carrying more weight every week. Now the Carlisle fans have had their say and are apparently keen on the idea of me taking over the reigns at their club. However, thus far there has been no approach from the Carlisle board.

View attachment 51176

Saturday 16th​ November 2019
FA Trophy 2nd​ Qualifying Round: Royston (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cartwright, Omar, McLennan, Sarmento, Chapman, Smile (Duxbury 81), Woolford, Ibehre, Jackson (Brown 81)

View attachment 51175

Despite being the home team, and the team from the higher division, it was actually Royston who made all the right impression in the 1st​ half, creating 7 chances (2 of which were clear cut), whilst we only managed 2 pot shots at goal from distance. Needless to say, I gave the boys a bollocking at half time and hoped we could punish Royston in the 2nd​ half for their lack of conviction in front of goal in the opening 45 mins. It wasn’t long before we were in front in the 2nd​ half as my kick up the **** seemed to have worked, but the lads never really kicked on from there and the action was few and far between. That was until the 86th​ minute when our supposed weaker opponents got their reward for a good display and grabbed an equalizer. This was not a good performance from us and my feelings were made clear to the squad at full time.

Tuesday 19th​ November 2019
FA Trophy 2nd​ Qualifying Round Replay: Royston (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Moulden, Cartwright, Omar, McLennan, Sarmento, Chapman, Smile (Duxbury 67), Woolford, Ibehre (Jackson 67), Brown

View attachment 51174

I was looking for a much better performance in the replay and although we weren’t brilliant, we were a **** of a lot better than Saturday’s effort. We scraped a 1-0 win, but Royston never troubled us this time round, failing to create any decent chances. We could have had a couple more if our strikers had been more on song, but a single goal was enough to get the job done in the end.

Our reward for beating Royston…..possibly the toughest draw we could have got. Forest Green away and it will be tough to overcome one of the favourites to win the competition.

View attachment 51173

The story has been out there for nearly a month now and has gathered momentum so I guess it was inevitable that the Carlisle board would invite me to interview eventually. I attended and things seemed to go pretty well. I walk away with no real concerns and may have a decision to make in the near future.

View attachment 51172

Saturday 23rd​ November 2019
Vanarama National South: Greenwich (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Moulden, Cartwright (Omar 45), Cresswell, McLennan, Jones (Sarmento 45), Payne, Smile, Woolford, Ibehre, Mackail-Smith

View attachment 51171

This was my 50th​ game in charge at Chelmsford and it wasn’t the most inspiring of performances from us, but again we do enough to get the job done. Craig Mackail-Smith moves into double figures for the season and proves that age is just a number….well, at this level anyway.

The board approach me and tell me they want me to stay amid rumours I could be off the Carlisle. I’m not ready to dismiss the idea of moving up north yet, so I refuse to commit my future to the club.

View attachment 51170

Simeon Jackson proves that age does catch up with you as he picks up an injury that will keep him out for nearly 2 months.

View attachment 51169

Has the word got out about my interview with Carlisle? All of a sudden I get two more approaches for interviews as if all of a sudden I am desperate to leave Chelmsford. That’s not the case and I quickly reject the opportunities to interview for the vacant Sutton and York posts.

View attachment 51168

View attachment 51167

Carlisle reject me! After all that, Carlisle ****** reject me! Oh well, onwards and upwards with Chelmsford for now. It would have been nice to move into the football league, but like I said before, I’m happy here and we are having a good season so I’m in no rush to move and don’t feel too disheartened, even if my ego is severely bruised.

View attachment 51166

Saturday 30th​ November 2019
Vanarama National South: Beaconsfield (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Moulden, Cartwright (Omar 49), Cresswell, McLennan, Jones (Sarmento 49), Payne, Smile, Woolford, Ibehre, Mackail-Smith (Brown 49)

View attachment 51165

Three words…..absolutely f*cking terrible!

After such a good start to the season, Jabo Ibehre is now in the middle of a bit of a goal drought. We’ll need him to get back to scoring goals as we bid to pick up our form again next month after only 1 league win in November.

View attachment 51164

It’s lucky we had that 4 point lead at the start of the month as our form in November has not been great, only managing 1 win in 4 games. However, it was enough to keep us at the top of the table but there is now a whole host of teams within touching distance if we continue to falter.

View attachment 51163

Player of the Month: Josh Smile

View attachment 51162

December will be a busy month with 5 league games and the tough away trip to Forest Green in the FA Trophy. We really need to pick up our form again next month if we want to remain ahead of the pack and I’m targeting 10 points from a possible 15 to finish 2019 on a high.

View attachment 51161

Unlucky about Carlisle. Including any non-English leagues in this save?

Unlucky about Carlisle. Including any non-English leagues in this save?

Not at present, but it is going to be an option for the future. Little Ern now has dreams of dominating Europe later in his career!

Carlisle's loss is another team's gain! Surely it is just a matter of months before Ernie's makes it to the bright lights of the football league

Carlisle's loss is another team's gain! Surely it is just a matter of months before Ernie's makes it to the bright lights of the football league

Haha, there seems to be no shortage of interest in my services....just gotta brush up on my interview technique. Thanks for reading :-)

December 2019

December 2019

Tuesday 3rd​ December 2019
Vanarama National South: Welling (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cresswell, Omar, Hope, Jones, Nippard, Smile, Woolford, Ibehre, Mackail-Smith (Brown 45)

View attachment 51150

We picked up this month where we left off last month….with a defeat! We are really struggling defensively at the moment and it’s something I am going to have to address quickly if we are going to maintain a title challenge this season.

Is age starting to take its toll on my old boys? Craig Mackail-Smith is the latest player to suffer a long term injury and will miss 3 months of action with hip injury requiring specialist attention.

View attachment 51149

Luke Nippard made his debut for us in the game against Welling after some impressive performances in the U23s team this year. However, he didn’t have a good game, only managing a match rating of 6.40, as he struggled to assert himself in the centre of midfield.

View attachment 51148

Last month it was the Carlisle saga….will it be the Chesterfield saga this month? I am linked with the job and state my interest at a press conference. Chesterfield have been relegated to the National League but are underachieving at present, sitting 11th​ in the table when they were one of the favourites to make at least the playoffs. It’s a challenge that appeals to me as they’re a much bigger club with a good squad for the National League.

View attachment 51147

Amidst the media interest in my link with the Chesterfield role, I get a surprise interview offer out of the blue from Stevenage, which would offer me another chance at stepping up to the football league. I attend the interview which seems to go well, but I’m not counting my chickens after what happened with the Carlisle job.

View attachment 51146

Meanwhile, the Chesterfield fans are keen on my taking over.

View attachment 51145

With all these rumours floating about linking me with other jobs, combined with our poor run of results, it seems I might be losing the dressing room. The lads call a meeting with me to discuss and although I win most of them over, Ben Chapman decides he’s going to be a complete t*sser about things….can’t see him playing much football here from here on out. Good to see my captain Alfie Payne is on board though and I’ll be looking to him to encourage the other lads to keep the faith.

View attachment 51144

Is that a sign of my players losing faith in me….Joshua Sarmento has accepted a contract from a lower league club and last year’s fan’s player of the season has left the club. He joins Havant & Waterlooville in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division.

View attachment 51143

Stevenage decide against offering me the job. Is everything falling apart I start to wonder?

View attachment 51142

In an act of desperation, I put in an application for the Chesterfield role in a bid to fast track the process. To my delight, they immediately come back and offer me an interview. Gotta be a good sign right?

View attachment 51141

Tuesday 17th​ December 2019
Vanarama National South: Gloucester City (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cresswell, Omar, Hope, Jones, Payne, Smile, Woolford, Ibehre, Brown

View attachment 51140

Boom! We’re back to winning ways and Jabo Ibehre is back on the scoresheet after more than 11 hours of football without scoring a goal. The clean sheet is most welcome after our poor defensive record lately.

It turns out that Chesterfield don’t think I’m the right man for the job either. I start to wonder what I’m doing wrong at these interviews….maybe a new suit will help?

View attachment 51139

Saturday 21st​ December 2019
FA Trophy 1st​ Round: Forest Green (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cresswell, Omar, Hope, Jones, Payne, Smile, Woolford, Ibehre, Brown (Duxbury 70)

View attachment 51138

A really good performance against a top side in this competition. We’ll have to play them again and try to churn out another good display, but I’m proud of the lads for not getting walked all over like most were expecting.

Monday 23rd​ December 2019
Vanarama National South: St.Albans (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi (Moulden 45), Cresswell, Omar, McLennan, Jones, Nippard, Smile, Woolford (Hope 45), Ibehre (Duxbury 45), Brown

View attachment 51137

Wow, just wow! That first half was the best half of football my team has played since I’ve been a manager. Five goals, five different goalscorers. All we had to do in the 2nd​ half was see the game out really and we did just that. They had a lot more of the ball and created a few chances in the 2nd​ half but only managed to get one goal back as we cruised to a comfortable win.

Hello….what’s this? An approach from a League One club!! Of course, I snap up the opportunity to interview for the Northampton Town job.

View attachment 51136

Thursday 26th​ December 2019
FA Trophy 1st​ Round Replay: Forest Green (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cresswell, Omar, McLennan, Jones, Nippard, Duxbury (Smile 45), Woolford, Ibehre, Brown

View attachment 51135

We were unlucky here. We held our own on the balance of play throughout the match….Green just had a bit more quality than us in the final third and took their chances well.

Saturday 28th​ December 2019
Vanarama National South: Truro (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi (Moulden 74), Cartwright, Omar (Cresswell 74), McLennan, Jones, Payne, Smile, Hope, Ibehre, Brown (Caunter 74)

View attachment 51134

What the f*ck happened here. The less said about this result the better! Moving on swiftly!

16 year old striker Ryan Caunter made his debut from the bench in the Truro game. He was on the bench due to our current injury situation amongst our crop of strikers. I wasn’t planning on using him but at 5-0 down, I thought ‘what the ****’ and gave the kid a run out.

View attachment 51133

I put in a cheeky application for the Doncaster Rovers job and am almost immediately invited to interview for the role. Rovers currently sit 14th​ in League Two.

View attachment 51128

Monday 30th​ December 2019
Vanarama National South: Dulwich Hamlet (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Moulden, Cresswell, Howlett-Mundle, Hope, Moncur, Nippard, Payne, Woolford, Jackson (Ibehre 76), Brown

View attachment 51132

We bounce back from the Truro result in perfect style, beating a 4th​ placed Dulwich Hamlet side pretty comfortably. Young midfielder Luke Nippard picked up his first goal for the club too! A good solid home performance is the ideal way to finish off 2019 and leaves us top of the table at the turn of the year. Happy days!

As 2019 comes to an end, we sit top of the National South on 45 points! A stark contrast from the position we were in a year ago, when we were 17th​ on 23 points!

View attachment 51131

Player of the Month: Eddie Brown

View attachment 51130

We’ll only play 4 games in January. A good chance to forge ahead in the league as we take on Concord and Maidenhead who both occupy places in the relegation zone. There will also be a top of the table clash against 2nd​ placed Hampton & Richmond Borough too!

View attachment 51129

January 2020

January 2020

My first order of business in 2020 was a new signing. I am pleased to welcome James Dayton to the club. James is a versatile player who can play down either wing or through the middle in an attacking role. He joins us on a free transfer after being released by Leyton Orient, despite making 72 appearances for them over the last 2 seasons. He was a massive part of their promotion in 2017/18 from the National League where he got himself 12 assists in 38 appearances. He then went on to play another 34 games the following season in League Two.

View attachment 51120

View attachment 51119

Apparently, if you’re a league one club and you make an approach for a non league manager, you don’t even have to give him the common courtesy of letting him know he was unsuccessful. I notice Northampton have hired Gary Holt as manager, without any communication whatsoever following my interview.

View attachment 51118

Saturday 4th​ January 2020
Vanarama National South: Concord Rangers (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Moulden, Cresswell, Howlett-Mundle, Hope, Jones (Dayton 70), Nippard, Payne, Woolford, Ibehre, Brown (Jackson 70)

View attachment 51117

We kicked off 2019 with a comprehensive victory over bottom club Concord Rangers, who are destined for relegation with only 11 points to their name. The highlight for me….James Dayton coming off the bench to bag a debut goal in the 93rd​ minute.

As mentioned above, James Dayton came off the bench and grabbed a debut goal in the game against Concord.

View attachment 51116

Harry Kewell is hired as the new manager of Doncaster Rovers as another football league team overlooks me for their manager’s job!

View attachment 51115

Saturday 11th​ January 2020
Vanarama National South: Hampton & Richmond Borough (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Moulden, Cresswell, Howlett-Mundle, Hope (McLennan 64), Jones (Dayton 64), Nippard, Payne, Woolford, Ibehre, Brown (Jackson 64)

View attachment 51114

This was always going to be a tough game against one of the best teams in the league. Unfortunately, they just edged it on the day, in what was a very even game.

Alfie Payne will miss a month of football after suffering a twisted ankle in training.

View attachment 51113

Saturday 18th​ January 2020
Vanarama National South: Weston-super-Mare (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Moulden, Cresswell (Cartwright 63), Howlett-Mundle, Hope, Jones (Dayton 63), Nippard, Smile, Woolford, Ibehre, Brown (Jackson 63)

View attachment 51112

Back to back defeats as we are beaten by WSM. Our form is so indifferent at the moment and we are really struggling to string together a few wins. The worrying thing is these heavy defeats are becoming more often. I’m really going to have to look at strengthening the defence.

In a bid to tighten up the defence, I have signed Fraser Horsfall on a free transfer. Horsfall was most recently part of the Billericay team that won this division last season and I’m hoping he can emulate that achievement with us this season.

View attachment 51111

View attachment 51110

Saturday 25th​ January 2020
Vanarama National South: Maidenhead (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Cartwright (Moulden 45), Cresswell, Horsfall, McLennan, Dayton, Nippard (Moncur 45), Smile, Woolford, Ibehre, Brown (Jackson 45)

View attachment 51109

An awful result against the relegation candidates. The wheels are well and truly coming off this title challenge.

Fraser Horsfall made his debut in the game against Maidenhead and gave a decent account of himself with a match rating of 6.70. In fact, the whole team performance was so bad, he was actually one of our best players on the pitch.

View attachment 51108

Craig Jones has picked up an injury that will keep him off the pitch for up to 6 weeks. I’ll be looking for James Dayton to really step up now!

View attachment 51107

The Torquay job comes up and although it isn’t much of a jump up the ladder, they are a club I’ve always quite liked for no particular reason. So I throw my hat in the ring and they invite me to interview.

View attachment 51106

With 3 losses in the league this month, there was no doubt we was going to lose top spot. We’ve actually dropped all the way down to 4th​. On the positive side, it’s extremely tight at the top and if we can dig ourselves out of this rut we find ourselves in, it won’t take much to regain our position at the head of the table.

View attachment 51105

Player of the Month: Luke Nippard

View attachment 51104

February looks like a really hard month ahead, as we prepare to take on 3 of the top 8.

View attachment 51103

Back