The Story of Ernie 'Little Ern' Allan

• Thread starter Thread starter FM_TNSSO
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 214
  • Views Views 24K
So...what sort of club are you looking to move on to from here?

It would need to be a significant enough move, so I think National League South/North as a minimum, but maybe National League if anyone comes in for me. I think with what I've achieved at Elmstead, it justifies that kind of move. Just gotta wait and see if anyone comes in for me

November 2018

November 2018

Saturday 3rd​ November 2018
Northern League Division One: Penrith (Home)

Kick-off: 15:00
Lineup: Roughton, Odhiambo (Ball 68), Hustwick, Tatham, Baker, Kelly (Baffour 68), Davis, Allen, Reid, Guppy (Keita 68), Newton

View attachment 52680

A proper ding dong battle with both sides holding the lead at different times throughout the game. A great spectacle for the fans, but a nervous one for the managers. Despite being great in attack, it was our shoddy defence that let us down again today and a last minute winner gave them the 3 points and we walk away with nothing.

Hendon come in and offer me an interview. For the first time, I seriously consider it as they are in the Bostik Premier League (only one below the National League North/South) and it would be a considerable step up for me. However, after taking a look at Hendon, they only have a 2,500 capacity stadium (only 500 more than me), they are only worth £12k (we are worth £25k) and they are struggling down in 19th​ with only 4 wins from 19 games, so I decide it wouldn’t be a move to a much bigger club and reject the offer.

View attachment 52679

However, there was one job which became available that was of real interest to me and it ticked every box. It would offer me progression up the leagues, a much bigger stadium, a much bigger club worth nearly £1 million. I put my application in for the Wrexham job and am offered an interview.

View attachment 52678

Another club then approached me who also took my interest. Chelmsford City chairman Nick Bradley wants me at his club after the work I’ve done at Elmstead. They currently sit 18th​ in the Vanarama National League South and again would be a significant step up the ladder for me. I attend the interview which seems to go well.

View attachment 52677

Wednesday 14th​ November 2018
Northern League Division One: North Shields (Away)

Kick-off: 19:45
Lineup: Roughton, Odhiambo, Hustwick, Tatham, Baker (Ball 10), Kelly, Davis, Allen, Reid, Guppy (Keita 61), Newton (Troke 61)

View attachment 52676

We were always going to be up against it when Odhiambo saw red as early as the 10th​ minute. And to be honest, from that moment we were outclassed and couldn’t live with them. Back to back defeats to kick off November is not what I had planned and I wonder if my growing reputation and increased interest from other clubs was now starting to have an effect at my current club with the uncertainty around my future possibly on the player’s minds.

Immediately after the North Shields game, I get some news which at least answers the question to one of the clubs I’d interviewed with. Wrexham had decided not to offer me the job. During the interview, we’d discussed their wage budget and it had been a stumbling block. They offered me a budget of £26k per week, but their current salary bill is £29k per week. The last thing I wanted to do was go straight in and have to sell on players to balance the books, so I asked for a little more, and that’s the reason they’ve given for rejecting me. It’s fair enough….I’m gutted as it would have been a massive move for me, but it is what it is and I won’t just agree to anything to bag a job.

View attachment 52675

Saturday 17th​ November 2018
FA Vase 2nd​ Round: Welwyn Garden City (Away)

Lineup: Roughton, Wills (Ball 63), Hustwick, Tatham, Baker, Kelly, Davis (Jones 63), Allen, Reid, Keita, Newton (Troke 63)

View attachment 52674

We were really poor here and struggled to even get the draw. Hopefully, the fact that we got a bit lucky here means we can get ourselves through to the next round with the home advantage in the replay! Still no win in November and I’m convinced everyone has their mind on other things.

With the uncertainty around my future at the club weighing heavily on everyone’s minds, I was keen to get the situation resolved one way or another ASAP. But to resolve it, I was still waiting for one club to come back to me following my interview. That was Chelmsford City…..and after only a week of waiting, there it was, at the top of my inbox…..a job offer from the National League South club! But to my disappointment, they’d offered me £75 a week less than what I’m on now! So do I take the drop in salary in favour for a rise up the leagues, do I negotiate the contract in the hope they’ll meet my demands, or do I reject it outright to show them how disgusted I am at the sheer audacity to offer me a lower salary?!

View attachment 52673

Of course, I do the sensible thing! I keep my principals in tact and ask the Chelmsford board to match my current wage. After some negotiating, they agree to my demand! So it looks like I’m off to Essex to embark on a new adventure with Chelmsford City in the National League South.

View attachment 52672

First thing’s first, I walk into Liam Archer’s office to inform him I’ve accepted the job with Chelmsford. He is incredibly understanding, telling me ‘this was never meant to be a long term thing kid! You’re destined for big things and I just wanted to give you that shot to realise your potential.’ We have a long chat, over a Jack Daniels on ice, I shed some tears, Archer even shed one or two of his own. He told me to keep in touch and bid me farewell! On my way out the door, he shouted ‘Little Ern, you don’t owe me a f*cking thing kid….you gave me a title I didn’t expect in a million years!’ I walk out with my head high, thinking ‘my work here is done’.

5af549fb8335bf9a9f78f8572e16e9cf.jpg

My record at Elmstead was an impressive one to say the least. 512 days in charge, 62 games played and 42 of them resulting in victory. A 67% win ratio is amazing at any level! I delivered a Southern Counties East League Division One title in my first season in charge, lifting the club another tier on the English football ladder.

View attachment 52671

As I leave this little club, that will always have a place in my heart now, they are sitting 5th​ in English Northern League Division One and are well on course to achieve a top half finish that was targeted at the start of the campaign.

View attachment 52670

Hopefully the club will always remember me, as I appear on their favoured personnel list.

View attachment 52669

I pack up my desk and I’m on my way. Essex here I come….the new manager of Chelmsford City!

%D0%9B%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BF_%D0%A4%D0%9A_%C2%AB%D0%A7%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%BC%D1%81%D1%84%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B4_%D0%A1%D1%96%D1%82%D1%96%C2%BB.png

Congratulations - jumping from the 9th tier to the 6th is very impressive!

Chelmsford City - Settling In

Chelmsford City - Settling In!

So here I am, my first day in charge at Chelmsford City. I’ve jumped 3 leagues in the English football structure and now I have the task of proving I belong here! I arrive at Chelmsford Sports & Athletic Centre where I actually have a small office on the grounds this time, rather than a portacabin as before. It’s nothing special, but it’s a step up and gives me a sense of importance.

View attachment 52580

The official announcement goes out in the press. It feels good to be announced as a manager with some history of winning something, rather than as a complete unknown.

View attachment 52579

I settle in to my new office, make myself at home with a picture of the Mrs and my little man on my desk, and start to look at the situation we find ourselves in. First, I read an email from the chairman, Nick Bradley, welcoming me and giving me a summary of the club’s history. We have some trophies from the lower leagues already in the cabinet. Bradley also informs me that we have a very fierce rivalry with Braintree, although we won’t face them this season.

View attachment 52578

I have a look back at the club’s season so far and it doesn’t make for good reading, but it could be worse as well. Only 4 league wins to our name all season and out of the FA Cup. We are currently on a run of 5 games without a win.

View attachment 52577

The above form sees us currently occupying 18th​ position in the table, hovering only 1 point above the relegation places. We are a good 10 points off the playoffs and a massive 22 points off the top.

View attachment 52576

I have a look back through the clubs recent league history and see we’ve been a constant fixture in the Vanarama National South for a good 10 seasons now, although we are usually good for a top 7 finish, so the club is clearly underachieving this season.

View attachment 52575

I take a look at the finances and am happy to see we are in a positive situation, although the club lost £19k last season and is already over £6k down this year. There is no transfer kitty, but I do have £8,500 in the wage budget compared to the measly £1,200 I had at Elmstead.

View attachment 52574

Taking a look at the squad, I immediately notice I’ve got a young team here, with majority of my players aged 22 or under. I’ll certainly be looking to add some experience to this team and think this could already be a huge factor in the team’s underachievement this season. I’m also going to have to look at getting the team playing their football down on the floor as we have a very small side with very little height.

View attachment 52573

It doesn’t help that my best player, Josh Smile is injured for the next 6-12 weeks either!

View attachment 52572

Other than Josh Smile, Elliot Omozusi and Alfie Payne stand out as my best players in the squad and I’ll need to look to get the best out of them.

View attachment 52571

View attachment 52570

The dynamics of the squad are not as bad as I expected. Team cohesion is good and the dressing atmosphere is nowhere near as bad as I expected with the club doing so poorly. Also, the lads seem pretty pleased at my appointment, so I should be able to get them playing for me from day one.

View attachment 52569

As I finish going through everything, my new boss Nick Bradley walks into my office. He said he better just run through the season expectations with me. ‘We’re already out of the FA Cup, but if you can pull us out of this sh*t we find ourselves in, in the league, and grab us a mid table finish I’ll be happy. Then we can look to push on from there next year!’

View attachment 52567

I’m ready to get cracking. My first game will be away at Weston-Super-Mare in 4 days time. Then we’ll have 5 games in December which include a game against Dulwich Hamlet, where I finished up my playing career! Let’s have it!

View attachment 52566

Loving this story - especially how its written - great stuff

December 2018

December 2018 (+ End of November)

I waste absolutely no time in making my mark on this squad, signing George McLennan within days of taking over. We had no fit left back, so it was a necessity and I’m pleased to bring George here. He has played for Ashford over the past 2 seasons, where he made 63 appearances with an average rating of 7.25 in the Bostik League Division One South.

View attachment 52245

View attachment 52244

Later the same day, my second signing arrives at the club. This time its centre mid Jack Hallahan, who joins us from Bostik Premier side Harrow. He’s been there for 2 seasons and made 22 appearances for the club, scoring 7 goals and bagging 5 assists.

View attachment 52243

View attachment 52242

The next job on the agenda was to boost the club’s backroom team. I’m pleased to welcome Paul Holland as Head of Youth Development and a well known face in Darren Huckerby joins my coaching team!

View attachment 52240

View attachment 52239

Saturday 24th​ November 2018
Vanarama National South: Weston-super-Mare (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cartwright, Finnerty, McLennan, Moncur (Hallahan 67), Maloney, Payne, Sarmento, Daly, Henry (Baptiste 67)

View attachment 52236

A closely fought game ended in a bore draw for my first match in charge. I didn’t get the dream start I was hoping for, but at least we didn’t lose and gain a valuable point.

New signings George McLennan and Jack Hallahan were handed debuts in the game against Weston-super-Mare. Hallahan came off the bench and McLennan turned in a decent performance scoring a match rating of 7.0.

View attachment 52234

More Brexit news….

View attachment 52233

Brexit will bring about a number of changes to the work permit system here in the UK.

View attachment 52231

19 year old Ben Chapman becomes my 3rd​ signing at the club in a week! Chapman was unattached after being let go by League One side Gillingham. He made no appearances for their senior team, but did spend last season on loan at Chippenham where he played in 37 games and grabbed 10 assists for the club in the Vanarama National South.

View attachment 52230

View attachment 52229

Striker, Korrey Henry has picked up an injury that will see him out until Christmas.

View attachment 52228

Saturday 1st​ December 2018
Vanarama National South: East Thurrock (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cartwright, Finnerty, McLennan, Moncur (Chapman 65), Maloney, Payne, Sarmento, Daly (Lloyd 74), Baptiste

View attachment 52226

A single goal late in the second half from Joshua Sarmento was enough to secure us our first win under my management! We were the better side and fully deserved the 3 points!

Ben Chapman came off the bench against East Thurrock to make his debut for the club. He did OK and hopefully has a platform to build on.

View attachment 52224

Saturday 8th​ December 2018
Vanarama National South: Dulwich Hamlet (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cartwright, Finnerty, McLennan, Moncur (Chapman 65), Maloney, Payne, Sarmento, Daly (Lloyd 74), Baptiste

View attachment 52223

Three games into management at Chelmsford and I take on the side where I finished my short and injury tampered playing career. And it was sure to be my sternest test to date with Dulwich flying high in 3rd​ place in the league. My boys gave me a fine performance and were actually the better side and didn’t deserve to be on the end of a 1-0 defeat.

Tuesday 18th​ December 2018
Vanarama National South: Hampton & Richmond Borough (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Finnerty, Omar (Cartwright 56), McLennan, Chapman, Moncur, Payne, Sarmento, Lloyd (Daly 56), Baptiste (Henry 56)

View attachment 52221

Despite having more of the possession here, we did absolutely nothing with it. We were really poor. Needlessly giving the ball away, no defensive positioning or awareness as they scored 3 very simple goals. Much work required!

My main striker at the club, Francis Baptiste, is on an awful goal drought with 16 games without a goal!!

View attachment 52220

Wednesday 26th​ December 2018
Vanarama National South: Hereford (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cartwright, Finnerty, McLennan, Chapman, Moncur (Hallahan 45), Payne, Sarmento, Lloyd (Daly 88), Henry (Baptiste 88)

View attachment 52219

Much, much better! We were scintillating in the first half, racing to a 4-0 lead before the break with striker Korrey Henry stealing the show with his hat trick! We stepped off the gas a little in the second half but were never in danger of losing this one. A brilliant reaction to the last game where we were so poor.

I was desperate to add another striker to the side and I’m pleased to say that I now have after a month in charge. Jabo Ibehre joins the club on a free after being released at the end of last season by Cambridge United. Ibehre is 35 years old but I’m confident he still has something to offer at this level, having played all of his football in League One and League Two. Ibehre ticks two boxes for me as he adds some much needed experience to my very young squad too! I look forward to seeing him in action.

View attachment 52218

View attachment 52217

Saturday 29th​ December 2018
Vanarama National South: Welling (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cartwright, Finnerty, McLennan (Hope 65), Chapman, Hallahan, Payne, Sarmento (Daly 65), Lloyd, Henry (Ibehre 72)

View attachment 52216

I’m absolutely gutted to have not got anything out of this game. We were the much better side throughout but just didn’t take our chances on the day! They had 1 good chance and took it and it was enough for them to walk away with all 3 points. I feel for the lads today as they didn’t deserve that!

I gave new signing Jabo Ibehre the final 18 minutes of the game against Welling, but he wasn’t able to make any impact. He needs to regain his match sharpness as he has gone 6 months without any competitive football, so I’m not going to judge him on his first few appearances from the bench.

View attachment 52215

A couple of wins and a draw in my opening 6 games in charge have seen us rise one place in the table to 17th​. However, we’re still only 1 point above the drop zone!

View attachment 52214

Player of the Month: Grant Smith

View attachment 52213

Looking ahead to January, we have 5 games ahead of us, of which 3 will be away from home. We’ll have a tough game against Billericay, but other than that we have an opportunity to pick up some points as our other 4 games will be against sides currently in the bottom half!

View attachment 52212

January 2019

January 2019

The first thing to happen in 2019 was not a positive. James Daly has left the club in favour of a move to Blackpool. I can’t blame him for the move as it gives him a jump up the leagues to a much bigger club, but I’m disappointed to lose one of our promising youngsters.

View attachment 51873

Our promising young players are fleeing the club one by one as James Finnerty is the next to move on. The 19 year old centre back has been offered a deal by Hull, one I’m sure he probably couldn’t turn down! I tried to get him back here on loan for the rest of the season, but Hull rejected the move saying they want him playing at a higher level.

View attachment 51872

Saturday 5th​ January 2019
Vanarama National South: Poole (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cartwright, Omar, McLennan, Chapman, Moncur, Payne, Sarmento, Lloyd, Henry

View attachment 51871

We kicked off 2019 with a comfortable 2-0 win over bottom club Poole! The result was never really in doubt as our opponents only managed 1 shot on goal in the whole game!

Tuesday 8th​ January 2019
Vanarama National South: Havant & Waterlooville (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cartwright (Howlett-Mundle 74), Omar, McLennan (Hope 63), Chapman, Moncur, Payne, Sarmento, Baptiste, Henry (Ibehre 74)

View attachment 51870

H&W were another side struggling down the bottom end of the table, so this was a big game for both sides with an opportunity to pull a little clear of the bottom 3. And it was us that seized the initiative and recorded a very good away win, which saw us propel up the table to 13th​ place! Jabo Ibehre came off the bench to bag his first goal for the club.

Centre back, Sam Cartwright, picked up an injury in the match against Havant & Waterlooville which will see him miss the next 3 weeks of action. It leaves us pretty thin on the ground with Finnerty having left the club this month as well.

View attachment 51869

I’ve been impressed with Freddy Moncur since I arrived at the club and there were a couple of other team’s starting to sniff around him. I’m pleased though that he has committed his future to us by signing a new 1 year deal with the club.

View attachment 51868

I’ve signed another player with plenty of experience and a very familiar name to most English football fans. Craig Mackail-Smith joins us at the ripe old age of 34, but still has plenty to offer I’m sure! Mackail-Smith is best known for his 5 year spell at Peterborough United from 2006 to 2011 where he scored 80 goals for the club, helping them to a promotion from League One to the Championship in the process.

View attachment 51867

View attachment 51866

Saturday 12th​ January 2019
Vanarama National South: Brackley Town (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Howlett-Mundle, Omar, McLennan, Chapman, Moncur, Payne, Sarmento (Green 73), Mackail-Smith (Hope 62), Henry (Ibehre 62)

View attachment 51865

We were really lucky to come away with a draw from this one as we were really poor! The only positive for us was Jabo Ibehre coming off the bench to score again.

It wasn’t a good debut for Craig Mackail-Smith who only managed a match rating of 6.2 against Brackley. However, he was playing in a less than ideal inside forward role.

View attachment 51864

Tuesday 15th​ January 2019
Vanarama National South: Billericay Town (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Howlett-Mundle, Omar, McLennan, Chapman, Moncur, Payne, Sarmento, Lloyd, Henry (Ibehre 75)

View attachment 51863

This was always going to be a tough game with cash rich Billericay flying high in the league. However, my boys held their own against one of the title favourites and were the better side for periods of the game. It looked like we were going to suffer an unfair defeat when they took the lead late in the 2nd​ half, only for Ibehre to come off the bench to score for the 3rd​ game in a row and earn us a well deserved draw!

Sunday 27th​ January 2019
Vanarama National South: Gloucester (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Howlett-Mundle, Omar (Cartwright 62), McLennan, Chapman, Moncur, Payne, Mackail-Smith (Sarmento 45), Lloyd, Ibehre

View attachment 51862

I was really hoping we could end the month unbeaten, but a bad performance here cost us that. We were never in the game as Gloucester dominated us from start to finish and we were probably lucky to only walk away with a 2-0 defeat.

We didn’t have a bad month to be honest, with 2 wins and 2 draws from our 5 games. It has seen us rise a couple more places in the league to 15th​, but more importantly it’s put a 4 point buffer between us and the relegation places. Bromley, the club so close to my heart, are leading the way at the top.

View attachment 51861

Player of the Month: Jabo Ibehre

View attachment 51860

Only 4 games ahead in the short month of February. It’s sure to be a tough month with all 4 sides above us in the league.

View attachment 51859

February 2019

February 2019

Saturday 2nd​ February 2019
Vanarama National South: St.Albans (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cartwright, Omar, Hope, Moncur, Chapman, Payne, Lloyd (Ibehre 45), Sarmento (Mackail-Smith 45), Henry

View attachment 51823

This was a pretty even game in which either side could have taken the win. But it was St Albans who just edged it on the day and nicked all 3 points.

I’ve added another striker to the squad. Simeon Jackson was available and interested in joining us, and I just couldn’t turn down the opportunity to sign him. He is a true journeyman who has played for no less than 11 clubs prior to us and offers plenty of experience playing at the higher levels. At 32, he still has a couple of years left in him yet and I hope he can make an impact here in Essex. He definitely offers us something different up front as we have been lacking pace in attack.

View attachment 51822

View attachment 51821

Saturday 9th​ February 2019
Vanarama National South: Wealdstone (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cartwright, Omar, McLennan, Sarmento, Chapman (Payne 63), Smile, Hope, Ibehre (Jackson 63), Mackail-Smith

View attachment 51820

For the first time this season, I switched things up to a 4-4-2 formation. I now have an abundance of strikers at my club and need to start utilising 2 or 3 a game, rather than 1 lone striker as I’ve played since I arrived here. It worked well considering it was the first time we’d used it and we were the better side in this game for large periods, although Wealdstone had periods of good play too. We managed to get the win through 2 Craig Mackail-Smith goals as he seemed to partner well up front with Ibehre.

Simeon Jackson came off the bench in the Wealdstone game to make his debut for the club, but didn’t have much of an impact.

View attachment 51819

I’ve finished my study for my most recent coaching badge and now hold a National A License. My esteem in English football continues to rise.

View attachment 51818

Saturday 16th​ February 2019
Vanarama National South: Oxford City (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cartwright, Omar, McLennan, Sarmento, Chapman, Smile, Hope, Ibehre, Mackail-Smith (Jackson 69)

View attachment 51817

That’s two wins from two with the new 4-4-2 formation. Ibehre and Mackail-Smith picked up where they left off against Wealdstone with a goal a piece in this one and Ibhere bagged himself two assists as well. But it was central midfielder Joshua Smile who stole the show with a wonderful performance from the middle of the park, capped off with a goal of his own, which earned him the man of the match award.

Tommy Hope picked up an injury in the Oxford game that will see him out for a month. He’ll be sorely missed as he is a player that has very quickly adapted to the new 4-4-2 formation, bagging an assist in both of the last two games.

View attachment 51816

With the recent injury to Tommy Hope, it left me no cover on the left wing and only McLennan who can play at left back, so I quickly delved into the transfer market and picked up a good solid backup player in Martyn Woolford. He’s another experienced player with a lot of playing time at higher levels of the English football structure. To get him to sign, I also had to offer him the U18’s Manager role which I wasn’t best pleased about as his staffing stats are not great, but I had to make a compromise as I needed his playing ability first and foremost.

View attachment 51815

View attachment 51814

Saturday 23rd​ February 2019
Vanarama National South: Dartford (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cartwright, Omar, McLennan, Sarmento, Chapman (Payne 84), Smile, Woolford, Ibehre, Mackail-Smith (Jackson 84)

View attachment 51813

We had to defend for large periods of this game as Dartford came on strong throughout. They were 6th​ at kick off and well in the mix for a playoff place, so it was always going to be tough. However, we did our defending well, and although we didn’t create a lot of chances, we took them really well when they did come up and walk away with an excellent 2-1 victory making it 3 wins on the bounce.

Martyn Woolford immediately went into the starting lineup for the game against Dartford, making his debut on the left wing. He didn’t have the best of games though, only recording a match rating of 6.5 and I’ll be looking for better from the next few games.

View attachment 51812

We continue moving up the table and with 9 points from a possible 12 this month, we are now up to 13th​ and only 4 points off a playoff spot….we’re on the right track and if we can follow up with a couple more wins, we could be challenging for playoffs/promotion, compared to the relegation battle we were in when I took over.

View attachment 51811

Player of the Month: Joshua Sarmento

View attachment 51810

March will kick off with what is sure to be an emotional day for me at home to Bromley. We play a total of 5 games next month, with the likes of Hungerford, Hemel Hempstead and Chippenham all looking to mount a playoff challenge like ourselves in the final 11 games of the season.

View attachment 51809

March 2019

March 2019

Saturday 2nd​ March 2019
Vanarama National South: Bromley (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Cartwright, Omar, McLennan, Sarmento, Chapman, Smile (Payne 67), Woolford, Ibehre, Mackail-Smith (Jackson 67)

View attachment 51802

This game was significant for a couple of reasons. The first was that it was the first time in my managerial career that I would come up against the team I played for, where I started out, where I came through the youth and made my name….needless to say it was emotional. The second was the fact we beat them comfortably in a 2-0 home win and with Bromley being 2nd​ in the table, it was the first time I felt the sense of belief that we could actually change the fortunes of our entire season and push for a playoff place. We’d still be massive outsiders at this stage, but it was time to look at it as a realistic possibility!

Top goalscorer, Korrey Henry, has picked up an injury during a weights session in training that will keep him out of action for up to 7 weeks. Hopefully, it shouldn’t effect us too much as he hasn’t been making the side lately anyway.

View attachment 51800

Saturday 9th​ March 2019
Vanarama National South: Hemel Hempstead (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi (Howlett-Mundle 15), Cartwright, Omar, McLennan, Sarmento, Chapman (Payne 67), Smile, Woolford, Ibehre, Mackail-Smith (Jackson 67)

View attachment 51798

Another win and that now makes it 5 in a row. It still leaves us 4 points off the playoff places, but relegation worries are now firmly behind us, and the fans are at their most optimistic all season!

Right back Elliot Omozusi will miss the next 3 games with a twisted ankle injury which saw him come off in the game against Hemel Hempstead.

View attachment 51797

Saturday 16th​ March 2019
Vanarama National South: Hungerford (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Cartwright, Howlett-Mundle, Omar, McLennan, Sarmento (Green 62), Chapman, Payne, Woolford, Ibehre, Jackson (Mackail-Smith 62)

View attachment 51796

A great second half turnaround from the lads ensures we keep our winning streak going. We weren’t great in the first half and Hungerford squandered a couple of opportunities to extend their lead. However, after a kick up the **** at half time, the team gave me a much better performance in the second 45 minutes and turned the game on its head and we take all 3 points!

Right winger, Joshua Sarmento, has picked up an injury that will keep him out for 6-7 weeks. He’s a pivotal part of my team and the way we play, so will be a big miss for us!

View attachment 51795

Our win against Hungerford was our 6th​ in a row which is a new club record!

View attachment 51794

Sunday 24th​ March 2019
Vanarama National South: Chippenham (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Cartwright, Howlett-Mundle, Omar, McLennan (Hope 80), Green,Chapman, Payne, Woolford, Ibehre, Mackail-Smith (Jackson 80)

View attachment 51793

For the second game in a row, the lads give me a fantastic second half fight back. 2-1 down at half time, but a Jabo Ibehre hat trick and a 90th​ minute goal from Danny Green ensures we walk away with all 3 points. My boys have shown me a really strong character over the past couple of games and I’m immensely proud of the team as we continue to hunt down the top 7!

Saturday 30th​ March 2019
Vanarama National South: Eastbourne Borough (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Cartwright, Howlett-Mundle, Omar, McLennan (Hope 43), Green, Chapman, Payne, Woolford, Ibehre, Mackail-Smith

View attachment 51792

A solid home performance ensures we make it 5 wins from 5 in March and this one actually moved us into the playoff places for the first time this season. I may be bragging, but f*ck me I’ve done a good job here over the past few months ;-)

The injuries are starting to pile up as we lose another first team regular in George McLennan for the next 3 weeks!

View attachment 51791

We’re only in the ****** playoff places with 6 games to go!!!

View attachment 51790

Player of the Month: Jabo Ibehre

View attachment 51789

I bagged my first ever manager of the month award! BOOM!!!

View attachment 51788

April offers us a mixed bag with us playing 5 games and taking on teams with different aspirations this year. We’ll play the likes of Dulwich and Hampton & Richmond who are in playoff contention, and East Thurrock and Weston-super-Mare who find themselves in a relegation battle.

View attachment 51787

Going really well mate, i had Mclennan in my Truro save but in a higher league he must be pretty good at this level, where are truro have they been promoted out of the league KIU

Going really well mate, i had Mclennan in my Truro save but in a higher league he must be pretty good at this level, where are truro have they been promoted out of the league KIU

Bad news and good news mate....They were relegated last season, but the good news is they're coming straight back up by the looks of things. 5 points clear at the top with 3 games left....

View attachment 51775

April 2019

April 2019

The first thing I did in April was tie down four of my most important players on new contracts. Alfie Payne, Ben Chapman, Josh Smile and George McLennan have all agreed 1 year deals with the club.

View attachment 51774

View attachment 51773

View attachment 51772

View attachment 51771

Then it was my turn as the chairman turned up at my office with a new contract offer. I’m delighted to sign a new 1 year deal with a pay rise to £450 per week!

View attachment 51770

Saturday 6th​ April 2019
Vanarama National South: Concord Rangers (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Cartwright, Howlett-Mundle (Omozusi 64), Omar, Hope, Green, Chapman, Payne, Woolford, Ibehre, Mackail-Smith (Baptiste 64)

View attachment 51769

Our winning streak comes to an end as we’re beaten by Concord. We were not bad in this game, our strikers simply had an off day and didn’t take their chances.

Saturday 13th​ April 2019
Vanarama National South: East Thurrock (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Cartwright, Howlett-Mundle, Omar, Hope, Green, Chapman, Payne, Woolford, Ibehre, Mackail-Smith

View attachment 51768

We immediately bounce back from the defeat against Concord with a win here, to get our playoffs bid back on track. We’re back in the top 7 with this win here, with only 4 games remaining!

I was asked to give my vote for the Vanarama National South Player of the Season award. I didn’t have any players in the running for the award and gave my vote to Bromley’s Victor Fundi.

View attachment 51767

Saturday 20th​ April 2019
Vanarama National South: Weston-super-Mare (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Cartwright (Omozusi 45), Howlett-Mundle, Omar, Hope, Green, Chapman (Smile 72), Payne, Woolford, Ibehre, Jackson (Mackail-Smith 72)

View attachment 51766

With a couple of games coming up against teams above us in the table, this one became a must win for us! We got off to the perfect start with Jahmal Howlett-Mundle putting us in front inside 10 minutes, and from there we just went from strength to strength. In the end it was a very convincing victory and hopefully made a statement to the teams that are coming up in our fixture list that we’re a force to be reckoned with. Jabo Ibehre scored his second hat trick of the season.

This is not good news! Sam Cartwright who has been a regular first team starter for me ever since I arrived here, has picked up an injury which will keep him out for the rest of the season!

View attachment 51765

Monday 22nd​ April 2019
Vanarama National South: Hampton & Richmond Borough (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Howlett-Mundle, Omar, McLennan, Sarmento (Green 71), Chapman, Payne (Smile 71), Woolford, Ibehre (Jackson 71), Mackail-Smith

View attachment 51764

This was the most important win of my career to date. H&R Borough were sitting 4th​ at kick off and a loss would have put a serious dent in our hopes of making the playoffs. However, the win is absolutely massive and lifts us to 6th​ as Dartford lose and drop to 7th​. It also means that one win from our final two games will guarantee us a playoff spot….unbelievable considering we were 18th​ when I took over 23 games ago!

Billericay have been crowned champions of the Vanarama National League South, with 2 games remaining. It gives them back to back league title and promotions and the cash rich club will be playing National League football next season as they continue their rise through the ranks of English football.

View attachment 51763

Saturday 27th​ April 2019
Vanarama National South: Dulwich Hamlet (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Howlett-Mundle, Omar, McLennan (Hope 66), Sarmento (Green 66), Chapman, Payne, Woolford, Ibehre, Mackail-Smith (Jackson 66)

View attachment 51762

And there it is….we’ve done it. We’ve completed the turnaround and confirm our place in the playoffs with this win. And not only that, but we jump above Dulwich into 5th​ position in the table too! The second half performance here was probably the best half I’ve seen us play since I took over….we were simply awesome and Hamlet couldn’t cope with us.

And there’s the confirmation! Playoffs here we come!

View attachment 51761

With one game remaining, our playoff status is secured alongside Welling, Hampton & Richmond Borough, Bromley and Dulwich Hamlet. There is still one place to be decided with Dartford in prime position. East Thurrock, Poole and Havant & Waterlooville are already confirmed as relegated.

View attachment 51760

Player of the Month: Jahmal Howlett-Mundle

View attachment 51759

Only one game remaining next month and then the playoffs of course.

View attachment 51758

May 2019

May 2019

Sunday 5th​ May 2019
Vanarama National South: Hereford (Away)

Lineup: Jessup, Omozusi, Howlett-Mundle, Omar, Hope, Green, Maloney, Smile, Woolford, Henry, Jackson

View attachment 51748

I rested a whole bunch of regular starters for this one as the game meant nothing really and with the playoffs starting in a matter of days, I wanted to keep as many players as fresh as possible. We went on to lose this game, but I’m really not too fussed as we have bigger things awaiting us.

Jake Jessup made his debut in goal for us against Hereford. Shame it couldn't be a winning one for the lad.

View attachment 51746

We draw Dulwich Hamlet in the 1st round of the playoffs.

View attachment 51747

Tuesday 7th​ May 2019
Vanarama National South Playoff 1st​ Round: Dulwich Hamlet (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Howlett-Mundle, Omar, McGlennan, Sarmento, Chapman, Payne, Woolford, Ibehre, Mackail-Smith

View attachment 51745

We were on the back foot for large parts of this game, but we came through in the end with a couple of second half goals which gave us the win and we advance onto the semis.

Sour grapes?

View attachment 51744

We’ll take on Bromley in the semi finals in what is sure to be another emotional day for me. However, loyalties will certainly not be torn and I’ll be ensuring my team do everything possible to progress to the final.

View attachment 51743

Saturday 11th​ May 2019
Vanarama National South Playoff Semi Final: Bromley (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Omozusi, Howlett-Mundle, Omar, McGlennan, Sarmento, Chapman, Payne (Smile 63), Woolford (Hope 63), Ibehre, Mackail-Smith (Jackson 63)

View attachment 51742

We showed great character in 90 minutes, coming back twice to level the scores and take the game to extra time. With us scoring such a late equalizer, I was really hoping the momentum would be with us. But it was Bromley who forged into a 4-2 lead, only for us to show our determination and peg them back again to take the game to pens. I didn’t feel confident at that stage as we’d missed our previous 3 spot kicks in the league and my doubts proved right as Bromley’s penalties were much better than ours and they progress to the final after the shootout. I’m gutted but at the same time I’m so proud of the lads for the way we have turned our season around this year and we can look forward to next year in a positive light and really fancy ourselves to do well!

Despite being knocked out in the semi finals, I still attended the playoff final, but this time as a fan! I was there supporting our conquerors Bromley and was pleased to be able to cheers the boys onto another penalty shootout win which sees The Ravens promoted back to the National League.

View attachment 51741

I was asked to cast my vote for Manager of the Season and was pleased to see my name has been thrown in the mix of nominees. Naturally, Bromley manager Rod Stringer got my vote.

View attachment 51740

Goalkeeper Grant Smith was offered a new deal and has signed up for another year with us.

View attachment 51739

I go back and check on my old club, FC Elmstead, to see where they ended up after I left. They dropped a couple of places but still managed a very respectable 7th​ place in the Northern League Division One. They do also find themselves in the FA Vase final too!

View attachment 51738

But they were simply outclassed by Newmarket in the final.

View attachment 51737

Billericay completed a league and cup double by picking up the FA Trophy.

View attachment 51736

GET IN THERE! I am named Vanarama National South Manager of the Year!!! That’s gotta do my reputation a world of good!

View attachment 51735

Our final action of May was for the board to announce huge losses of £85,000 for the past year. Not good!

View attachment 51734

End of Season Review

End of Season Review

The media give their review of our season. According to them, we had a good season as overachievers in the league. Disappointing to go out so early in the FA Trophy but that was before I arrived here.

View attachment 51733

The board are delighted after I got them out of the sh*t this season.

View attachment 51732

It was a close run thing for fan's player of the season on awards night, but Joshua Sarmento just edged it. I can't disagree with the fans as the lad has quickly become one of my favourite players here. Jobo Ibehre finished top goalscorer in the end and naturally takes the signing of the season award. Sarmento was also recognised as the young signing of the season too.

View attachment 51731

The best eleven was announced on awards night as well, which sees the likes of Sarmento, Ibehre, Payne and Hope all enter the side.

View attachment 51730

As we take a look at the entire squad's stats for the season, we can see that Jabo Ibehre really did have an amazing impact after I signed him mid way through the season. He finished up top goalscorer with 14 goals, bagged 7 assists (with only Alfie Payne getting more) and finished the season with the highest average rating of 7.39 from 22 appearances.

View attachment 51729

The dynamics of the squad look very positive after our strong final third of the season and I'm really hoping we can keep the momentum going into next season.

View attachment 51728

Wow - very nice work for that season. Next question...how long are you planning to hang around at Chelmsford?

Wow - very nice work for that season. Next question...how long are you planning to hang around at Chelmsford?

Hard to say mate as I guess it depends on who comes in for me and if it sparks my interest as a good move....but my initial plan at this time is to give Chelmsford the whole of next season (although I can't guarantee it). I feel positive about the new 4-4-2 formation I created which seems to be working wonders and I think with 2 or 3 new additions over the Summer, we could have a really good campaign next year and maybe push for a title challenge

June 2019

June 2019

We’ve got a perfect pitch ready for next season after it was relayed.

View attachment 51688

The board inject £100k into the club to help with the running costs.

View attachment 51687

For the first time since joining Chelmsford, I am linked with another job, the one at Guiseley who are in the Vanarama National North. This job offers me no progression whatsoever so I quickly dismiss it, which pleases my current boss.

View attachment 51686

I sign up right back Elliot Omozusi on a new 1 year contract.

View attachment 51685

Next season’s budgets were sent to me by the chairman. No transfer funds are available and the wage budget is just under £9k. We’re hovering around that mark already, so will need to move some players on to bring new ones in if we’re going to stay within budget.

View attachment 51684

I’m linked with another club, this time Dag & Red who finished 10th​ in the Vanarama National League this season. I’ll admit I was tempted, but in the end I decided to dismiss the link and demonstrate loyalty to Chelmsford.

View attachment 51683

Before I even look to bring any new players in for next season, my first job was to look at the players that were here on loan last season and decide whether to attempt to keep them here. After careful assessment, I’ve offered new loan deals for Sam Cartwright (Peterborough) and Tommy Hope (MK Dons) and am delighted to announce they will be with us again for another year!

View attachment 51682

View attachment 51681

Last year’s fan’s player of the season, Joshua Sarmento, has been signed up for another year after accepting my latest contract offer.

View attachment 51680

The fixture list for the new season is released. We kick off with a home game against newly promoted Truro before two tough games against Dulwich and Hampton & Richmond who both made the playoffs last season.

View attachment 51679

It’s official. The UK has left the European Union!

View attachment 51678

The club look to the future as they increase the junior coaching budget.

View attachment 51677

I asked the board to look into an affiliation with a senior club. They presented me with three options in Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday and Burton. I have opted for Bolton as they were offering us the highest annual fee and that £25k will come in quite handy, even if they have no useful youngsters for us to get on loan.

View attachment 51676

Francis Baptiste leaves the club after accepting a contract offer from Championship club Bristol City. He struggled to break into our team last season, so the only thing I can imagine is that they see some potential for the future and I’d expect them to have him out on loan.

View attachment 51675

I immediately took advantage of the affiliation with Bolton and bring in one of their youngsters on loan for the upcoming season. 18 year old right back, Edward Moulden, has joined us and will provide good competition to Elliot Omozusi in that full back role. Moulden has not made any competitive appearances in the world of English football so far.

View attachment 51674

View attachment 51673

July 2019

July 2019

Another one of our young strikers has moved on up the leagues. Korrey Henry has joined Coventry in League Two and although I tried to keep him here, I couldn’t compete with their financial muscle.

View attachment 51583

That Bolton link is coming in real handy. With two strikers leaving the club in the past couple of weeks, I was keen to bring another one in. I look to my affiliate club and am delighted to welcome 18 year old Eddie Brown to the club on loan for the upcoming season. He looks like a decent prospect and hopefully he can make a name for himself this year by grabbing some goals for us.

View attachment 51582

View attachment 51581

I needed extra cover down the right wing for Joshua Sarmento, so I delved into the transfer market again and have managed to pick up Craig Jones on a free transfer. Although described as an attacking full back, he is actually adept at playing all the way down the right wing. Jones is a great capture for us having played 26 games for Cheltenham in League Two last season, where he chipped in with 7 assists.

View attachment 51580

View attachment 51579

The bookies have released their odds for the upcoming season and we are second favourites to lift the title behind recently relegated Boreham Wood. There will be a lot more pressure on me and the boys this season, that’s for sure!

View attachment 51578

Jabo Ibehre is the favourite to finish up as top goalscorer this coming season. At the age he is, my main goal will be to try to keep him fit throughout the whole season.

View attachment 51577

Our pre season campaign has gone pretty well so far. Four wins from five games and a forgettable match against Leyton Orient. Good to see young Eddie Brown has already bagged himself 4 goals....do we finally have a decent penalty taker at the club?

View attachment 51570

Back