The Story of Ernie 'Little Ern' Allan

• Thread starter Thread starter FM_TNSSO
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 214
  • Views Views 24K
February 2020

February 2020

Saturday 1st​ February 2020
Vanarama National South: Boreham Wood (Away)

Kick-off: 15:00
Lineup: Smith, Cartwright, Cresswell, Horsfall, McLennan, Dayton, Nippard, Smile (Moncur 62), Woolford, Ibehre (Jackson 62), Brown

View attachment 51095

Our poor form continues as we lose to one of our title rivals. Disappointingly, we didn’t offer up much of a challenge to them at all here and the team looks totally devoid of confidence at the moment.

Simeon Jackson picks up another injury. This time it’s a knee injury that will keep him out until mid March.

View attachment 51094

How the f*ck does the Eastbourne Borough manager get the Torquay job over me! I’ve turned this club around from relegation candidates to title challengers in a year, but yet they opt for a man that has his team sitting 2nd​ from bottom in our division?!

View attachment 51093

Saturday 8th​ February 2020
Vanarama National South: Chippenham (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Moulden (Omozusi 58), Horsfall, Cresswell, Omar, Hope, Nippard, Payne, Dayton, Ibehre, Brown

View attachment 51092

A change of formation was required to try to turn our fortunes around, so I opted for a 5-2-3 variation for this one. I had 3 centre backs, 2 wing backs, 2 central midfielders, 1 inside forward on the right side and 2 strikers. It didn’t quite have the complete effect I was looking for as we only managed a draw. However, we definitely looked more solid at the back with the 3 defenders. We just lacked a little fluency going forward, which I guess is to be expected with a brand new attack that I only created a couple of days before the match.

Dulwich Hamlet have sacked their manager, Gavin Rose, and I’ve been named as the favourite with the bookies to take over. Although they are only in the same league as me and below us down in 9th​, I can’t bring myself to dismiss the link due to my playing history with the club. I’m not applying for it, but if they come in for me I’m not sure I’ll be able to ignore it.

View attachment 51091

The board are p*ssed that I didn’t publicly remove my interest from the Dulwich job.

View attachment 51090

The Dulwich fans clearly favoured me as a player when I was at the club as they publicly state their delight at me being linked with the job.

View attachment 51089

Saturday 15th​ February 2020
Vanarama National South: Eastbourne Borough (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Moulden, Horsfall, Cresswell, Omar, Hope, Nippard, Payne, Dayton, Ibehre, Brown

View attachment 51088

I stuck with the 5-2-3 variation again with a couple of minor tweaks to the roles of the players and it resulted in our first win in 6 games. And the win was emphatic as we thumped the relegation candidates 4-0 on their own turf.

Sure enough Dulwich come in and offer me an interview. I’ll really be in two minds if I get offered this one.

View attachment 51087

Saturday 22nd​ February 2020
Vanarama National South: Wealdstone (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Moulden, Horsfall, Cresswell, Omar, Hope, Nippard, Payne, Dayton, Ibehre (Caunter 65), Brown

View attachment 51086

How we didn’t win this game I don’t know. We literally did everything apart from put the ball in the back of the net more than once. We played some really good football, kept it pretty tight at the back. The strikers just had a bit of an off day.

Another much bigger club show an interest in me and invite me to interview for their vacant manager post. This time it’s Peterborough United….probably the biggest club I’ve interviewed with so far.

View attachment 51085

Saturday 29th​ February 2020
Vanarama National South: Woking (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Moulden, Horsfall, Cresswell (Howlett-Mundle 53), Omar, Hope, Nippard, Payne, Dayton, Ibehre, Brown

View attachment 51084

We end the month with a defeat. Again, this was a very tight game which could have gone either way. I can’t slate the boys, it just wasn’t our day. However, I’m now consigned to the fact our title challenge is pretty much over and we’re looking at playoffs at best now.

We drop down to 6th​ in the table and now find ourselves battling it out to make the playoffs as our title challenge is fading with every game. We find ourselves 7 points off the pace of Boreham Wood at the top.

View attachment 51083

Player of the Month: James Dayton

View attachment 51082

With only one win from our last eight games, March MUST be a good month! If we have a shocker of a month, I could even find my job in jeopardy.

View attachment 51081

March 2020

March 2020

It seems even teams in my own division don’t want to offer me a job as Dulwich are the latest in a long line of clubs to reject me following interview.

View attachment 51079

Quickly followed by Peterborough.

View attachment 51078

Saturday 7th​ March 2020
Vanarama National South: Hemel Hempstead (Away)

Lineup: Smith, Horsfall, Cresswell, Omar, Jones, Hope, Nippard, Payne, Dayton, Mackail-Smith, Brown

View attachment 51077

Another shocker of a result against a bottom half side. I really don’t know what’s gone wrong here. How can we be so good first half of the season and so shocking the second. I’ve tried a number of things and nothing has worked to turn things around. The only thing I can think is that I’ve brought all this on myself with all the ‘job activity’ that has gone on over the past few months. It must have caused so much unrest in the club and squad….its the only thing I can think of. Either way, I’m now thinking I need out of this club and a fresh start ASAP even if it’s a sideways step initially.

Saturday 14th​ March 2020
Vanarama National South: Braintree (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Jones, Cresswell, Omar, McLennan, Dayton, Nippard, Payne, Woolford, Jackson, Brown

View attachment 51076

Back to the 4-4-2 formation for this one against our rivals but it does us no good at all as we fail to make any impression on the game and are beaten at home Braintree who were 20th​ at kick off. We really are up sh*t creek at the moment and I’m fast running out of ideas here. I feel like I just want out!

Although I’ve lost all hope of bagging a job higher up the leagues, I decide I’ve got nothing to lose in applying for the Coventry role. Again, I’m quickly offered an interview and again it seems to go well. But will it be the same old story as all the others!

View attachment 51075

Saturday 21st​ March 2020
Vanarama National South: Oxford City (Home)

Lineup: Smith, Jones, Cresswell, Omar, McLennan, Dayton, Nippard, Payne (Smile 59), Woolford, Ibehre, Mackail-Smith (Jackson 59)

View attachment 51074

Not the best of games but a precious, precious win nonetheless!!

F*ck me, am I reading this right!! Coventry have offered me the job!!! A chance to go and manage a massive team in the football league!! See ya later Chelmsford, you’ve been a great little stepping stone but I’m outta here!!

View attachment 51073

A club, a chairman, that is welcoming me with open arms…..and so they should! Ian Kitteridge has one thing to say to me as I arrive at the club….”prove all them other f*ckers wrong who wouldn’t take a punt on you son…..and prove me **** right for believing in ya kid!”

View attachment 51072

I’ll be honest, I don’t leave Chelmsford with anywhere near a heavy heart as I did Elmstead. In fact, in the end I am quite glad to see the back of them, but I’m still grateful for the opportunity I had here and without it I wouldn’t be where I am now. As I leave, I have a respectable record after 70 games in charge at the club, walking away with a 51% win ratio. In 132 games of football management, I have gone from the 10th​ tier of English football, to the 4th​…..not too shabby!

View attachment 51071

As I depart Essex, I leave Chelmsford in the playoff spots in the National League South. Yes it’s gone off the boil a bit lately after we were battling for automatic promotion for half the season, but they are still on target to hit their pre season expectations. In 17 months, I took this club from relegation battling underperformers to something their fans can be proud of again and in with a fighting chance of playoff glory this season. Good luck to them!

View attachment 51070

Onwards and upwards to the football league!!

cropandgreyscale

Last edited:
Brilliant career move, not only just because they are in a higher league but a very big club especially around that sort of level KIU

Brilliant career move, not only just because they are in a higher league but a very big club especially around that sort of level KIU

Thanks mate....after all the rejection I was wondering if my shot in the football league was ever gonna come. So to get the opportunity at one of the biggest clubs in league two (and probably bigger than most league one clubs) I'm well chuffed!

Taking over at the Sky Blues

Taking Over At The Sky Blues

As I rock up to the stadium on my first day, I cannot believe that this is where my team are going to be playing their home games from now on! A step up…..just a f*cking bit!!!

CD15481961.png

My new office, like the stadium, is a bit of a step up and as I take a seat for the first time, I get goosebumps at the prospect of how far I’ve come. I pick up the phone and there’s only one person I wanna call…..Liam Archer, FC Elmstead chairman!

11.jpg

Sitting at my desk, I open my laptop and check through my first set of emails. The first is from chairman Ian Kitteridge officially welcoming me to the club and asking to arrange a meeting….I immediately pop along to his office and we have a quick sit down. Nothing too strenuous, just a quick chat and an introduction to my new Assistant Manager Stevie Crawford, who looked a bit nervous about keeping his job in all honesty. I told Stevie I’ll be keeping him on until at least the end of the season and we’ll review the situation then. We set a few ground rules for the training, team instructions, team talks etc… and I tell Crawford I like to manage the lot thanks….looks like he’ll be having a relatively easy ride here!

View attachment 50938

I get back to my office and as discussed in the meeting, the chairman has forwarded over a history of the club for me to have a look at. For what could be perceived as a big club in England, that have played at the very top level, Coventry’s trophy cabinet emptier than most probably expect. They’ve only managed to win 5 trophies in nearly 130 years….something Kitteridge is looking for me to change.

View attachment 50937

Over the last 20 years, Coventry have seen a gradual decline through the ranks of English football falling from the Premier League right down to the 4th​ tier of English football. For the past two seasons, they have made the playoffs in League Two only to be knocked out in the semi final on both occasions by Colchester and Exeter (who both went on to win the final and gain promotion funnily enough).

View attachment 50936

My next task is to look back over the fixtures for the season at first glance, the first thing I notice is we haven’t lost many games. However, we have drawn a **** of a lot. As I take the helm, we are on a run of only 1 win in our last 6. The club went out of the Checkatrade Trophy at the 2nd​ round stage to Portsmouth and were knocked out of the FA Cup by Leicester in the 3rd​ round. Northampton Town were our conquerors in the League Cup 2nd​ round early in the season.

View attachment 50935

So where does that leave us in the league…..sitting just outside the playoffs in 8th​ position with 6 games remaining. It would seem that it’s between us, Colchester, Accrington, Port Vale and Crawley for the final two spots.

View attachment 50934

The club’s finances don’t look good with us currently over £1 million in debt, despite the fact we are working within our budgets.

View attachment 50933

Next on the agenda, let’s take a look at my squad. I have a sizeable squad here with players to cover most positions. I notice immediately that I have an abundance of central midfielders and strikers, so I may have to look at a formation which exploits this.

View attachment 50932

The three best players in this squad (on first impression) are Jack Grimmer (RB), Ryan Haynes (LB) and Jordan Willis (CB)! So I can certainly work a tactic around a pretty strong defence by the looks of things…..I’m liking what I’m seeing so far and think I’ve got a team I can really work with here.

View attachment 50931

View attachment 50930

View attachment 50929

The dynamics of the team look good as I take over the reigns. Match cohesion and dressing room atmosphere are in an extremely good place and it seems the players have some support for my appointment at the club. So it’s pretty harmonious here at the moment and we look in a good place to make that final playoff push over the next few games.

View attachment 50928

Well that surprised me….I was expecting Kitteridge to demand we make the playoffs this season, but instead he’s pretty much told me to see out the season. Or at least that’s what I’m taking from the fact the board have told me they are ‘reserving judgement’ on my league performance.

View attachment 50927

My final task on the first day in the job is to look ahead….ahead at who will stand between us and a playoff spot. Well, from our playoff rivals (mentioned above), we only have to play 1 of them in Accrington Stanley. We also have games against 3 of the bottom 5, which on paper is great. However, I know each of these teams will be fighting for their lives to stay in the division and in the final stages of the season, no game is necessarily easy.

View attachment 50926

April 2020

April 2020

The excitement builds as I approach my first game as Coventry manager!

View attachment 50905

So here’s the tactic I’ll be starting the Orient game with. As mentioned before, I never download or copy tactics, but instead look at what I’ve got and work a tactic that fits around my team. Over time, I may buy players to fit certain tweaks/roles I’d like to change within the tactic but this is my usual method. As mentioned in my last post, I have two very good full backs at this club who are actually my best players, so I want to make the most of their ability and have decided to go with a back 3 and Haynes and Grimmer in a more advanced wing back role. I don’t have any decent attacking central midfielders, and without 2 solid attacking central players, I think it’s too defensive to have a holding midfielder…..so I’ve gone for a flat 3 in the middle of the park with Kelly sitting a bit deeper than the other two. I don’t need to play with wingers or inside forwards as I am playing with wing backs, so up top it’s a flat front two, with both strikers set to their most suitable role. In this case, it’s a target man and a poacher. I will always tend to play strikers in their best role as I feel it is the most efficient way to get the best out of them. The mentality of the team against Orient will be control as we are expected to win, but again this would change from game to game depending on our opponents. I do prefer the flexible approach with most of my formations, unless right down in the depths of English football where I started, where I’ll go more structured as I have players with lesser ability.

View attachment 50904

Saturday 4th​ April 2020
Sky Bet League Two: Leyton Orient (Home)

Kick-Off: 15:00
Lineup: Oxley, Willis, Davies, Goode, Grimmer, Haynes, Batty, Kelly (Noble 61), Grant, Ahearne-Grant (Morton 61), O’Neill (Bridge 75)

View attachment 50903

The perfect way to introduce myself to the home fans….with a solid 2-0 win and a really good performance. We played some lovely stuff in this game and with better finishing could of even won by 4 or 5. So what did I learn….my tactic seems ok, my wing backs certainly proved to be my better players (as judged when I arrived), the midfield 3 seemed to work well together in their individual roles and Karlan Ahearne-Grant is certainly not good enough to be here. However, it’s only one game so there’s plenty of time for things to change.

Not good….20 year old striker Tyrone O’Neill who I really liked the look of and who scored in the Orient game has picked up an injury that will see him miss the rest of the season. This is a huge blow as I really wasn’t inspired by his strike partner Ahearne-Grant in the previous game. I’ll have to hope one of the other lads can step up and show me something!

View attachment 50902

Tuesday 7th​ April 2020
Sky Bet League Two: Hartlepool United (Away)

Kick-Off: 19:45
Lineup: Oxley, Willis, Davies, Goode, Grimmer, Haynes, Batty (Donohue 62), Kelly (Noble 57), Grant (Bridge 67), Ahearne-Grant, Hornby (Morton 64)

View attachment 50901

We made really hard work of this, but courtesy of a late own goal, in the end we get the result and move into the top 7 with this win.

I can’t believe Ryan Haynes’ contract situation hadn’t been sorted out before I arrived. He only had 3 months remaining and the club risked losing one of it’s best players on a free at the end of the season. Well, I soon sorted that out! Haynes commits his future to us for another 2 years!

View attachment 50900

Ex Coventry player Andy Morrell is the main Chelmsford have hired to replace me.

View attachment 50899

More bad news on the injury front. Central midfielder Liam Kelly will miss most of the remainder of 2020 with a damaged cruciate ligament injury suffered in training. This is a big, big miss!

View attachment 50898

Saturday 11th​ April 2020
Sky Bet League Two: Cambridge United (Away)

Lineup: Oxley, Willis, Davies, Goode, Grimmer, Haynes, Batty (Bridge 84), Donohue (Kasim 45), Grant, Ahearne-Grant (Morton 73), Hornby

View attachment 50897

Cambridge can no longer win the League Two title after we recorded our 3rd​ straight victory since I took over here! It was a close game which could of gone either way, but we made the most of our chances on the day and the defence held strong to keep another clean sheet. My team have still not conceded a goal since I took over!

Monday 13th​ April 2020
Sky Bet League Two: Accrington Stanley (Home)

Lineup: Oxley, Willis, Davies, Goode, Kelly-Evans (Grimmer 72), Donohue (Haynes 67), Batty (Grant 67), Kasim, Noble, Ahearne-Grant, Morton

View attachment 50896

With only 2 days gap between games, some rotation was necessary here in a defining game against our playoff challenging rivals. But it didn’t affect the lads as they recorded a superb 3-0 win. That’s 4 games, 4 wins, 4 clean sheets since I became manager! Now did I say that Karlan Ahearne-Grant was useless after my first game in charge…..no I think you misheard me….I said he was ****** brilliant ;-)

Crewe have been crowned champions of League Two!

View attachment 50895

Another first teamer picks up an injury. This time it’s right wing back Jack Grimmer who will miss a couple of weeks action.

View attachment 50894

Saturday 18th​ April 2020
Sky Bet League Two: Tranmere Rovers (Away)

Lineup: Oxley, Willis, Davies, Goode, Kelly-Evans, Haynes, Batty, Kasim (Noble 73), Grant, Ahearne-Grant, Morton (Hornby 73)

View attachment 50893

Tranmere were fighting for their lives down at the bottom end of the table and were one of 6 teams that could still go down with 2 games remaining, so I wasn’t expecting an easy game by any means! And Tranmere showed their fighting spirt and that they are not ready to go down just yet as they record a massive victory against us. In all fairness, this is the first bad performance my lads have put in since I came here, but I’m still gutted to taste defeat for the first time.

Our league form since I took over has been fantastic (the Tranmere result apart), which it has needed to be as our playoff rivals have played very well too! We sit 6th​ in the table with one game remaining, but the job is not done yet! If we lose and results elsewhere go against us, we could still drop out of the playoff places.

View attachment 50892

Player of the Month: Tom Davies

View attachment 50891

Our final game of the season will be against Bury next month! And both teams have plenty to play for as we chase a playoff place and they fight relegation!

View attachment 50890

May 2020

May 2020

Saturday 2nd​ May 2020
Sky Bet League Two: Bury (Home)

Kick-Off: 17:30
Lineup: Oxley, Willis, Davies, Goode, Grimmer (Kelly-Evans 80), Haynes, Batty (Noble 80), Kasim, Grant, Ahearne-Grant, Hornby (Morton 80)

View attachment 50883

There was a lot at stake for both sides in this game and it was clear to see both teams were playing nervously. In the end the game finishes in a draw and ultimately both sides win as we make the playoffs and Bury avoid relegation.

And there’s the confirmation that we’ve made the playoffs. The final league table confirms that Swindon and Mansfield go up alongside Crewe automatically. We will be joined by Peterborough, Cambridge United and Colchester in the playoffs. It was Stevenage and Leyton Orient who faultered on the final day and go down…..if Orient had managed a win on the final day, it would have been Bury who went down after their draw with us.

View attachment 50882

View attachment 50880

The playoff draw will see us play Cambridge United over two legs. We’ll be looking to gain an advantage in the first leg with the home fans behind us.

View attachment 50881

Despite the board injecting over half a million into the club, the finances still make for poor reading. Don’t look like I’ll be getting any money to spend in the Summer, whether we go up or not!

View attachment 50879

View attachment 50878

Sunday 10th​ May 2020
Sky Bet League Two Playoff Semi Final 1st​ Leg: Cambridge United (Home)

Kick-Off: 18:30
Lineup: Oxley, Willis, Davies, Goode, Grimmer, Haynes, Batty, Donohue, Grant (Kasim 75), Ahearne-Grant (Morton 63), Hornby

View attachment 50877

Cambridge were playing a much narrow formation than we played them a few games ago, maybe in an attempt to shut out our 3 central midfielders. But it was our wide players that were having the most influence on the game and we’d put no less than 25 crosses into the box in the opening 20 minutes. And Cambridge couldn’t cope with it as we loaded the box and were awarded two penalties for almost identical incidents. Both times a cross came in and a Cambridge defender fouled one of our players who was approaching the ball. Both penalties were converted by Daniel Batty and we went into the break 2-0 up! The most important thing for the 2nd​ half now was to keep the clean sheet, and the boys did just that as Cambridge offered very little in the way of attack.

Thursday 14th​ May 2020
Sky Bet League Two Playoff Semi Final 2nd​ Leg: Cambridge United (Away)

Kick-Off: 19:45
Lineup: Oxley, Willis, Davies, Goode, Grimmer, Donohue, Haynes, Batty (Bridge 72), Grant, Ahearne-Grant, Hornby (Morton 72)

View attachment 50876

As expected, Cambridge were setup much more offensively for this one, so we switched to a counter mentality and dropped Donohue back into a DM (Anchorman) role. Now, as expected, Cambridge had most of the play, but we were prepared for that and my boys defended brilliantly! Not only that but we played the counter attack perfectly and managed to score 3 of our own on our way to a 5-1 aggregate win! We’re going to Wembley!!

Unbelievable….I could never of imagined in my wildest dreams 140 games ago when I started my football management career at little old FC Elmstead, that I’d be going to Wembley and especially not within only 3 seasons! The League Two playoff final awaits us and our opponents will be Colchester United.

View attachment 50875

A huge blow before the final as we receive news from the medical team that centre back Tom Davies will miss the playoff final!

View attachment 50874

The scene is set….Wembley is ready! 51,000 fans in attendance! Come on lads…..give me one last good performance this season!

1c2782e3caf88193c5657dc5d9ddc682686a46401fbdafffb25fb9cd13c30d6d_3940794.jpg

Monday 25th​ May 2020
Sky Bet League Two Playoff Final: Colchester (Wembley)

Kick-Off: 13:30
Lineup: Oxley, Willis, Awuah (Morton 45), Goode, Grimmer, Haynes, Batty, Donohue (Kasim 69), Grant, Ahearne-Grant, Hornby

View attachment 50873

In a pretty even game, we were beaten 2-0 by a Colchester team who were simply more clinical. We looked a bit unorganised in defence today and I really think we missed Tom Davies at the back. He normally plays our centre role as the covering defender and a lack of depth in the team, meant my only option was young Awuah who has only played 2 games all season! A couple of sloppy errors led to them bagging 2 early goals and from the 13th​ minute we were chasing the game. Unfortunately we only managed a late consolation goal and will be playing League Two football for another year.

**** right we’ll be back!! If I’m completely honest, it could be a blessing in disguise that we didn’t go up. There are a number of players at this club that are barely good enough for League Two and with absolutely no money, there would have been no funds to strengthen the squad to compete in League One next season. I can now move forward to next season, have a bit of a clearout and bring in a couple of my own players and make a title challenge next year! I’m looking forward to it!

View attachment 50872

My old club Chelmsford also made the playoffs, but fell at the semi final stage against Hampton & Richmond Borough.

View attachment 50871

With the season now coming to an end, the board set the budgets for next season. I’m currently spending £36k on wages so I’ll have a little bit to play with there.

View attachment 50868

The club’s youth category rating is lowered from 2 to 3 :-(

View attachment 50867

I do finish May with some good news though. Centre back Jordan Willis has signed a new deal with the club which will keep him here for another 2 years!

View attachment 50870

Player of the Month: Daniel Batty

View attachment 50869

From 10th tier to the L2 playoff final in three seasons - that's quite something!

End of Season Review

1160452d1526221606-story-ernie-little-ern-allan-monthly-banner.jpg

End of Season Review

Themedia review of our season is that we had a disappointing one. However, I canhardly be held accountable, having only managed the final 6 games of the leaguecampaign.

View attachment 50822View attachment 1164087

It'sthe board's opinion that matters most right now and they are satisfied. I supposethey can't really judge me on much yet and I'm sure I'll come under much morescrutiny next season.

View attachment 50821

Beforewe get on to the club's awards, its worth noting that I had two players in theLeague Two Team of the Year. Centre back Charlie Goode and on loan centralmidfielder Daniel Batty.

View attachment 50820

Nowfor our club awards night. I can't be much judge on the fan's decision forplayer of the year as I haven;t been here. But its probably significant thathalf the fans voted for Jack Grimmer. Daniel Batty takes the young player ofthe season award.

View attachment 50819

Andhere's the club's all time best eleven. Again, not much comment from me, havingonly recently arrived. All I can note is that half the attacking players are nolonger here.

View attachment 50818

Sohere's the squad stats for the past season. Disappointing that only one playerreached double figures on the goals tally (on loan striker Fraser Hornby).Again, it was a loan player that led the way on assists as Daniel Batty set up13 goals this season. Next down from him was Jack Grimmer with only 6! JackGrimmer was the most consistent player over the course of the season with a7.10 average rating from 52 appearances.

View attachment 50817

Aswe head into next season, the dressing room atmosphere could do with a littleimprovement and there has been a slight rise in the support for me as manager.

View attachment 50816

Last edited:
From 10th tier to the L2 playoff final in three seasons - that's quite something!

Cheers mate....it's been an incredible journey so far! And I still have my whole career ahead of me yet ;-)

Just caught up on the last few days, Great jump from Chelmsford to Coventry! At this rate in another 3 seasons you will be in the PL! Good Luck!

Just caught up on the last few days, Great jump from Chelmsford to Coventry! At this rate in another 3 seasons you will be in the PL! Good Luck!

Thanks for reading. Who knows....it might even be with Coventry lol

Just caught up after 2 weeks away and quite a transformation! looking forward to seeing how a full season at Coventry goes (assuming you hang around at the same club for a full season ;))

Just caught up after 2 weeks away and quite a transformation! looking forward to seeing how a full season at Coventry goes (assuming you hang around at the same club for a full season ;))

Haha I have high hopes for Coventry and can see myself being here for at least a whole season but maybe 2 or 3 if things go right. Thanks for reading :-)

June 2020

June 2020

The club announce profits of £750k over the course of the last season. This has mainly come from the board pumping money into the club.

View attachment 50707

Daniel Batty has been on loan at the club all season from Hull. I noticed that his contract was due to run out and offered him a permanent deal to sign which he has accepted!

View attachment 50706

View attachment 50705

Another player that has been on loan with us this season is Fraser Hornby, from Everton. He is still under contract with them but I have been able to extend his loan deal for another year.

View attachment 50704

View attachment 50703

Charlie Goode has accepted my offer of a new deal and signs a new contract.

View attachment 50702

The commercial summary from last season doesn’t make for good reading with most of the revenues down on the season before. The only real positive is a new shirt sponsorship deal which is worth nearly double the previous one.

View attachment 50701

Central midfielder Conor Grant has signed a new 1 year contract with the club.

View attachment 50700

It’s fixture list day and the Coventry fans are as excited as me to find out who we face on the opening day. And the winner is….Accrington Stanley. We’ll follow that up against recently relegated Oxford United in what is a tough start to the new campaign.

View attachment 50699

We’ll receive over £300k in TV rights this season, but it won’t be enough to dig us out of the financial situation we’re in and surely the board will have to continue to invest this season to keep the club above water.

View attachment 50698

Speaking of the board, they send me their expectations for the upcoming season. Playoffs in the league is reasonable as I was expecting them to want a title challenge. FA Cup and League Cup won’t really matter if we are doing well in the league but obviously if we can get as far as possible and then grab a home draw against a big Prem side then it will be a boost to the finances.

View attachment 50697

Although, we will do well to progress past the 1st​ round of the Carabao Cup as we’ve been handed a really tough draw away at Wolves.

View attachment 50696

In a bid to bring some much needed cash into the club, I’ve decided to arrange a friendly tournament, The Ricoh Cup! I’ve invited Newcastle, AA Gent and Aberdeen to play in it, who have all accepted. I certainly don’t expect to win it but it’s all about the money it will bring in.

View attachment 50695

30 year old central midfielder Josh Wright will join us on a free transfer on 1st​ July. Josh is a versatile player who can play both the defensive and attacking side of the game. He has the ability to pick out a pass, has a good first touch and when he gets in the opposition box is a decent finisher. Josh has played the last 9 seasons in League One for Leyton Orient, Gillingham and Southend making a total of 197 appearances for those clubs. He offers a wealth of experience to our lineup!

View attachment 50694

View attachment 50693

Another good source of income as we set up an affiliation with Tottenham Hotspur. Not only will they pay us nearly £90k a year, but we should have an abundance of young talent at our loan disposal.

View attachment 50692

The link with Tottenham could prove to be a handy one! Do you think the finances might cause you to jump ship when you can or is the aim to take Coventry to League One and beyond?

Only started reading this today, very good read. Heres hoping Coventry goes well for you

The link with Tottenham could prove to be a handy one! Do you think the finances might cause you to jump ship when you can or is the aim to take Coventry to League One and beyond?

I definitely want to try to get at least one promotion with Coventry I think. I'm at such a big club in the lower leagues that I see it as a good opportunity to add to my trophy cabinet

July 2020

1160452d1526221606-story-ernie-little-ern-allan-monthly-banner.jpg

July 2020

I immediately take advantage of the affiliation with Spurs, bringing in 20 year old central midfielder Odin Bailey on loan for the season. A lot of my current crop of midfield players are defensive minded and I was keen to add a more attack focused player in the centre of the park. Odin was the best available from Spurs and I’m sure he’s going to get plenty of opportunities to play this season and show what he can do.

View attachment 50588

View attachment 50587

Another loan signing for the season. This time it’s a West Ham boy in Josh Pask. At 22, Josh is still pretty inexperienced, having only played 17 professional games. Ten of those were on loan last season at Swindon in League Two where he didn’t have the best of times if I’m entirely honest. However, I think playing in a better side and in amongst a back 3 this season, he could do a lot better.

View attachment 50586

View attachment 50585

I was literally just talking about the lack of attacking midfielders through the middle and then this happens!! Jack Bridge was injured in the Plymouth friendly, damaged cruciate ligaments keeping him out for the remainder of 2020!!

View attachment 50584

Our injury situation continues to get worse as Dion Donohue picks up an injury against Northampton that will keep him out for up to 7 weeks!

View attachment 50583

After the injury to Jack Bridge, I really needed to add another attack minded player to the central midfield area. After some thorough searching through the players out of contract (as we have no money to buy anyone), I have found and signed 24 year old Ben Whitfield. To be fair, he isn’t a bad find either as he has been playing his football at League One level for the past 2 years for Oxford United, where he has made 61 appearances. His return of 3 goals and 3 assists in those games is nothing to write home about, but at this slightly lower level, we might be able to get a bit more out of him.

View attachment 50582

View attachment 50581

The bookies release their odds for the upcoming season and guess who the favourites are to win the league! Yep that’s going to heap a whole load of extra pressure on us this season. Peterborough are expected to be right up there as well and I’ll be honest, I’d love to finish above them no matter what, after they rejected me for their job last season. There’s a whole host of clubs expected to be battling it out against relegation including quick rising Billericay who have now recorded 3 straight promotions!

View attachment 50580

Another player comes in on loan from a big Premiership club. 18 year old striker Roarie Honesty joins us for the season from Chelsea. Honesty is here with a point to prove and a name to make as he is yet to make a competitive appearance in English football as of yet.

View attachment 50579

View attachment 50578

We’ve played all but one of our pre season friendlies and things haven’t gone too bad. The losses against Northampton and Shrewsbury can be forgiven as their both League One sides. Plymouth are in our league and we recorded a solid win and a good draw against Hibs in there too.

View attachment 50577

Looking ahead to next month, we have one more friendly to play against Worcester and then the season begins. We kick off the campaign with a home fixture against Accrington, before a tough game in the Carabao Cup against Wolves. We’ll do well to get through that one. We then follow that up with 3 more league games with the away game at Oxford sure to provide a stern test! Certainly not an easy start to the campaign.

View attachment 50576

Back