The tale of the 2 Managers, 2 different career paths.

bindie

Reaction score
Hi FM community

I have read a few manager stories now, some great, others well others lol. The best one I have read to date is this one “I Thought You Said He Eats, Drinks and Sleeps Football? He Does, He Just Can't Play!” by MojoDex

In fact I love that one so much it has inspired me to write my own journey, but with my own twist. I have always intended on doing a long save journey and try and write a managerial story but never get around to it and think to myself no one will like what I have to write.

In saying all of this I am not sure if I should still go ahead and do my own Football Manager journey and document it as I am scared that it will not be a good read. Anyway I will outline my rules and what my Football Management journey will contain and I will leave it up to the community to tell me if I should go ahead with this or not.

Structure:
Two managers, they will both start with Professional experience as I am roleplaying them as ex-footballers that were moderately famous but not as big as the likes of Ronaldo or Beckham. They are made up characters I am roleplaying, and I will be roleplaying these characters as if they had played for my two favourite teams in Europe.

First Manager is Matthias Schmidt, he used to play for Borussia Dortmund. A famous midfielder in Germany and a favourite of Dortmund. He was one of the Assistant Managers of Borussia Dortmund but an opening for Manager opened up with the Cardiff Bluebirds after Malky Mackay decided to leave the club. Matthias is a man of loyalty and as far as he is concerned if a team serves him well he will stick by them to the ends of the earth. He will start with the Cardiff Bluebirds and plan on making the Championship side the next Manchester United and is planning to stick with Cardiff as long as it takes. In a sense I am trying to make this guy the German version of Sir Alex Ferguson. He will also start as a coach of the Welsh National Team

Second Manager is Vasily Petrovich, he used to play for CSKA Moscow. He is considered a favourite of the Army Men. He left Russia after retiring from Football and resided in Australia with some family. He started as a manager of a NSW Premier League side Marconi Stallions, the position of Manager has opened up with the Central Coast Mariners and he was given the job. Unlike his friend Matthias he like a bit of adventure, he is planning on seeing the world, through managing in the world game. Vasily will start with the Central Coast Mariners. He will be partaking in the Pentagon challenge, which will be outlined in the rules.

Cardiff Challenge Rules
  1. Cannot leave Cardiff for at least 8 years. If I get sacked, then I cannot apply for a team in the Premier Division in any nation.
  2. Must make Cardiff win at least a FA Cup, Premiership (2 years running) and a European Champions League.
  3. Must bring Cardiff to the top 5 richest clubs in England & Scotland
  4. Once the above conditions are met I can leave Cardiff
  5. Not Required, however if I wish to manage an International team, I must try to make Wales qualify for the World Cup before leaving to coach another International team. After that it has to be another European Country to the World Cup before managing another International team from a neighbouring confederation.
Pentagon Challenge Rules
  1. I cannot leave a club until I win that countries top flight, Should I get sacked before I achieve this I have to apply for jobs in the nation I have been sacked in or neighbouring ones.
  2. I am free to move around when I have won a countries top flight, But I must win the continents version of the Champions League before I move onto another continent. With that said if I get offered to coach another team within the same confederation and like the offer I will not turn it down.
  3. Once the above conditions are met I am free to move to another team or confederation.
  4. THIS ONE IS NOT REQUIRED, However I can manage International teams as well but they have to be within the same confederation as the Domestic team I am managing. I will also try to win the local international tournament while I am on a continent though this is not required I will still do my best to make it happen.
Now to warn everyone I have never posted one of these before and I may not post to everyone’s liking so I may need to be reminded by people what they want to see, I will try to post up as much as possible but will need the nudging.

Now I know some of you would be thinking MojoDex had more of a challenge, yes he did. However I am a Dad and work full time so I have lifted some of the rules and started myself as a coach within international teams as I have limited time

If this story is allowed to progress below is a list of leagues that have been loaded.
View attachment 353796View attachment 353794View attachment 353795
I have used a few different files and mods to help create the FM world I live in, I will list them all when I have time to list them all as they all deserve a thank you, but most importantly MojoDex deserves the biggest thank you for inspiring me to do this.

So please let me know if this is a good enough story to follow or if I am wasting my time.

Last edited:
Lets introduce you to Matthias Schmidt (yes it is Neil Oliver, my favourite documenter)
View attachment 353882Name: Matthias Schmidt
Dob: 24/03/1976
Place of birth: Berlin, East Germany
Playing Career:
  • FC Berlin 1990 – 1993 (Youth)
  • Borussia Dortmund 1994 – 1999
  • Newcastle United 2000 – 2001
  • Manchester United 2001 – 2003
  • Borussia Dortmund 2004 -2008
Management Career
  • Borussia Dortmund
    • Coach 2008 – 2010
    • Assistant Manager 2011 – 2012
  • Cardiff FC Manager 2012 - ????

Matthias had a hard life growing up in East Germany, however football was one of his true passions and he stuck to it ever since. He was first picked up as a youth for FC Berlin whilst the wall still divided his beloved city, but once that wall came down western teams started to scout him. He was picked up by Borussia Dortmund at the age of 18. From there the world got to have a glimpse at what this attacking midfielder could do on the field. His career in Borussia Dortmund gave him a chance to share in the golden age of Borussia Dortmund. Before the team went public Schmidt was traded to the Newcastle United where he began his Premier League career. Didn’t have much success in Newcastle was eventually bought by Manchester United and had quite a working relationship with Sir Alex Ferguson. Matthias has been quoted many times in the media as saying that Ferguson is the epitome of how a football manager should be and he only wishes to emulate him. Matthias came back to Dortmund to finish of his career before being trained as a member of the backroom staff. Before long his name was being touted as a future manager of Borussia Dortmund however given the success of his manager Jurgen Klopp the only chance for Matthias was to make a name for himself, so he left home once again to travel to England, but this time to manage a team that has Premier League potential, just needs someone to make sure that the team gets there. Matthias believes he is the one to do that and he believes he can make Cardiff a team as powerful as the team his mentor coaches, Manchester United. The future is his oyster, will Cardiff be a powerhouse, or is this experiment brought on by Chairman Datuk Chan Tien Ghee going to blow up in his face, only time will tell.

So who are Cardiff FC?
View attachment 353899From wikipedia
Cardiff City Football Club (Welsh: Clwb Pêl-droed Dinas Caerdydd) is a professional football club based in Cardiff, Wales but competing in the English football league system. They play their home games at the Cardiff City Stadium, after moving from Ninian Park in 2009. The club was founded as Riverside A.F.C. in 1899 and is the only club from outside England to have won the FA Cup, which they won in 1927. In 2012, Cardiff City was rebranded by the club's Malaysian owner, Vincent Tan. This included the change of the club's home colours and crest. They are commonly known as the Bluebirds as seen in the crest beneath the Griffin.
Cardiff currently compete in the nPower Championship, and are currently predicted to win in the top half of the table. Matthias intends on getting Cardiff promoted to the Premier League for the first time in 51 years.​

English Titles

First Division/Premier League (As first tier)
Runners-up: – 1923–24

Second Division/First Division/Championship (As second tier)
Champions: – 2012–13Runners-up: – 1920–21, 1951–52, 1959–60
Play-off Runners-up: – 2010
Play-off Semi-finalists: – 2011, 2012

Third Division (South)/Third Division/Second Division/League One (As third tier)
Champions: – 1946–47
Runners-up: – 1975–76, 1982–83
Play-off Winners: – 2003
Play-off Semi-finalists: – 2002

Fourth Division/Third Division/League Two (As fourth tier)

Champions: – 1992–93
Runners-up: – 1987–88, 2000–01
Play-off Semi-finalists: – 1997

FA Cup
Winners: – 1927
Runners-up: – 1925, 2008
Semi-finalists: – 1921

FA Charity Shield
Winners: – 1927

Football League Cup
Runners-up: – 2012
Semi-finalists: – 1966

European Cup Winners Cup
Semi-finalists: - 1968

Welsh Titles
The team no longer competes in Welsh competitions

Welsh Cup
Winners: – 1912, 1920, 1922, 1923, 1927, 1928, 1930, 1956, 1959, 1964, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1976, 1988, 1992, 1993
Runners-up: - 1929, 1939, 1951, 1960, 1994, 1995

FAW Premier Cup
Winners: – 2002
Runners-up: - 1998, 2000

The squad facilities and information is as follows;
View attachment 353885View attachment 353886View attachment 353887

The initial full squad list (inc res and u18) is as follows (1st list Sorted by Value, 2nd list Sorted by Potential)

View attachment 353897View attachment 353898

The UK Top 40 Rich list​
Cardiff are the 31st richest team in the UK​

View attachment 353904

I will post more about first squad and tactics once I play through my series of friendlies and finish evaluating my team. Matthhias intends on evaluating the team as a whole and see which players fit with his tactics and plays well, and those that are deemed not to fit may get sold. Matthias has noticed there is no fitness manager currently at Cardiff so has advertised for the position.​

Last edited:
Who is Vasiliy Petrovich? Good question
View attachment 353937
Name:
Vasiliy Mikhailovich Petrovich
Dob: 1
4/12/1973
Place of birth:
Kaliningrad, Kaliningrad Oblast, Soviet Union (Modern day Russia)
Playing Career:

• CSKA Moscow 1989 – 1997
  • Borussia Dortmund 1997 – 2000
  • Sao Paolo FC 2000 - 2002
  • CSKA Moscow 2002 – 2006
Management Career
  • Marconi Stallions (NSW Premier League, Australia)
    • Coach 2007 – 2009
    • Assistant Manager 2010
    • Manager 2011-2012
  • Central Coast Mariners 2012 - ????
BIO to come, I am tired and need sleep :)XD

Who is Central Coast Mariners?
View attachment 353938
From wikipedia
Central Coast Mariners Football Club is a professional association football club based on the Central Coast of New South Wales, Australia. They participate in the A-League and are one of four teams from the state of New South Wales playing in the competition. The Mariners were the first professional football (soccer) club from the Central Coast to compete in a national competition, and were formed during 2004 for the foundation of the A-League in 2005–06. Despite being considered one of the smaller franchises at the inception of the A-League competition,[2][3] Central Coast qualified for the first four domestic finals after their establishment.[4] The Mariners had a successful first season, winning the 2005 Pre-Season Cup and losing in the A-League grand final to Sydney FC.[5]

Central Coast made the final of the Pre-Season Cup again in 2006, however lost to Adelaide United. The Mariners came sixth in the 2006–07 A-League competition, and failed to qualify for the finals series.[6] The Mariners claimed their first A-League Premiers' Plate in 2007–08 by goal difference, holding on after starting the season strongly. The Mariners defeated derby rivals Newcastle Jets in the major semi-final to qualify for the Grand Final, which they lost to the Jets 1–0.[7] In the 2008/2009 season The Mariners finished the home and away season in fourth place before slumping to 2 defeats from the Queensland Roar in the minor semi-final legs 2–0 at home and 2–1 away. The club made its debut in the AFC Champions League in 2009,[8] finishing bottom of their group after amassing two points after two draws and losing the remaining four games. After a change of manager and squad transfers, the 2010–11 season was more successful for the club, with the A-league and youth league teams finishing second in their respective leagues.

Unofficially the team holds onto the unfortunate nickname of the ‘Chokers’, as they have made it to the Grand Final of the A-League 3 times, only to lose them each time. Two of the final losses came down to penalties after extra-time.

Will Vasily change the prospects of the Mariners? Will he earn them the respect of their peers and be known as Champions? The bookies are giving Central Coast odds on finishing in the top 4, but are not rated as champs this season.​
Domestic Competitions

A-League (ladder after season)
Premiership (2): 2007–08, 2011–12
Runners-Up (2): 2010–11, 2012–13

A-League Finals Series
Runners-Up (3): 2005–06, 2007–08, 2010–11

A-League Pre-Season Cup (Defunct)
Winners (1): 2005
Runners-Up (1): 2006

Below is the history of the A-League
View attachment 353939

Below is the Ladder and Current rules of the A-League
View attachment 353940View attachment 353941

The squad facilities and information is as follows;
View attachment 353942View attachment 353943View attachment 353944

The initial squad is as follows (by value and Potential)
View attachment 353945View attachment 353946

I will post more about first squad and tactics once I play through my series of friendlies and finish evaluating my team. Like Matthias, Vasily intends on evaluating the team as a whole and see which players fit with his tactics and plays well. Central Coast are currently down 3 coaches and training is not the best, therefore Vasily has posted an advertisement for coaches, so far former premier league player Brian McBride maybe brought on board as a coach.​

Last edited:
Thanks for the endorsement ;)

It is a behemoth of a challenge and you seem very aware of that which is good. I think you may have a bigger challenge with two managers!

I look forward to this and I will follow :)

Beginning of the season (Matthias Schmidt, Cardiff)

After a lengthy Evaluation period, Matthias decided to keep Mark Hudson as the team captain as there was no need to replace him, however he promoted popular player within the team Aron Gunnarsson to Vice Captain to have him learn a leadership role for the future

Captain: 2. Mark Hudson (D C)
Vice-Captain: 8. Aron Gunnarsson (M CR)

Matthias has finished it’s evaluations and has decided that the following players will make up the starting line up. Matthias has decided to go with a simple attacking 4-4-2 formation, having Nicky Maynard play the role of Poacher Forward, Aron Gunnarsson be the Advanced Playmaker whilst Peter Whittingham will be relied upon to be the Deep Lying Playmaker in a supporting role. I have also added our star wing Craig Bellamy to the list of key players.

View attachment 354298View attachment 354295View attachment 354305View attachment 354301View attachment 354306

Out of the evaluations there has been a surprising promotion back in the Senior Squad for Rob Earnshaw, who was placed into reserve by the previous manager Malky Mackay. I found him quite useful as a substitute forward.

Unfortunately with all evaluations there has to be cuts and demotions for the squad.
It has been decided that the following players will be kept in the reserves squad;
  • Stephen McPhail (Due to long term injury)
  • Rudy Gestude (was already in reserves)
  • Heidar Helguson
The following Players have been deemed surplus and have been transferred listed. (personally I didn’t like them from a previous save I had done, found them useless then, and still find them useless now).
  • Simon Lappin (just doesn’t fit into my plans and tactics) He has asked to be transfer listed)
  • Tommy Smith (the guy is arrogant and doesn’t get along with players)
And the following players didn’t make it to the first team, however need to be kept an eye on as they have performed quite well in reserves and friendlies;

Changes in backroom staff
Search for the Fitness Coach continues

Changes in squad

Transfers in and Out: NONE

Loans in
Liam O’Niel (D RLC) from West Bromwhich Albion
View attachment 354304

Loans Out
View attachment 354299

Team target
Promotion to Premier League
nPower Championship : 1st
FA Cup: Quarter Final
Capital One Cup: Final, losing last season left a bitter taste in Cardiff’s mouth

You are all probably thinking why so ambitious, well because I know this team can get that far from a previous save. This team has what it takes, and have a good set of players, hence why I did not need to buy any players, just needed to loan a defender as I am short of them. But to reassure the audience, I have not progressed further then the first season in FM 2013, because I decided to restart from the beginning and do this, as well as add other leagues.​

Last edited:
Placeholder For Index

Last edited:
Great idea for a story mate! I'm an Aussie so will be keen to see if you can bring Central Coast the same glory they enjoyed this season winning it all!

August 2012 Cardiff

Capitol One Cup First Round 8/08/2012

Cardiff 6 – 1 Torquay United
Cardiff City Stadium, Att 4,087
Craig Bellamy (9)
Ben Turner (15)
Joe Mason (52)
Don Cowie (69, 85)
Peter Whittingham (74)
Ben Turner Sent off (75th​ minute)

An easy victory against League 2 side Torquay, they had no chance. Silly tackle caused by Ben Turner in the box, which didn’t need to happen as we were way in front.

Unfortunately after the last match forward Joe Mason suffered a groin strain and will be out for 4 weeks. Rob Earnshaw will come off the bench and be a part of the starting lineup, and Heidar Helguson will come up from reserves to take Earnshaw’s place on the bench. First Match for Cardiff as GK for Joe Lewis

Shock wins in Capital One Cup First Round;
(CH) Barnsley 1 - 2 Rochdale (L2)
(L2) Southend 3 – 2 Birmingham (CH)
(L2) Exeter 1 – 0 Brighton (CH)

nPower Football League Championship 18/08/2012
Middlesbrough 1 - 6 Cardiff
The Riverside Stadium; Att: 19,924
Rob Earnshaw (1, 43)
Nicky Maynard (41, 83, 90)
Matthew Connolly (51)
Man of Match: Nicky Maynard

Miserable Middlesbrough
What a first match of the season, it felt like as if Cardiff was the only team that showed up to play. Rob Earnshaw got Cardiff off on the scoreboard less than a minute after kick-off. Just before halftime Rob Earnshaw and Nicky Maynard scores a goal each leaving the score 3-0. Highlight of the match goes to Nicky Maynard and his hat-trick, first game of the season and with a Cardiff jumper on.

nPower Football League Championship 21/08/2012
Cardiff 4 - 1 Bolton
Cardiff City Stadium; Att: 21,449
Craig Bellamy (45)
Don Cowie (47, 73)
Peter Whittingham (68)

Man of Match: Don Cowie

Bolton gave the Bluebirds a scare scoring a goal on the 10th​ minute. However Craig Bellamy levelled the scores before half-time. That was the last time Cardiff was on the receiving end as Cardiff had the ball the majority of the time afterwards making 16 shots on goal, 10 on target and in the process nabbing 3 goals to take back the game and win.

nPower Football League Championship Team of the Week ending 21/08/2012
Nicky Maynard (ST), Craig Bellamy (M L), Aron Gunnarsson (M C) Peter Whittingham (M C) Joe Lewis (GK)

nPower Football League Championship 25/08/2012
Ipswich 0 - 5 Cardiff
Portman Road; Att: 20,171
Nicky Maynard (2, 4, 84)
Rob Earnshaw (18, 42)
Joe Lewis CS

The locals needn’t bother watching this match, as the Ipswich first team were rubbish from kick off. Nicky Maynard kicked the first 2 goals within the first 5 minutes. Rob Earnshaw kicked 2 goals before half-time. Although the second half only saw Cardiff kick one goal they still had the ball the majority of the time, Nicky Maynard finishing the game with a hat-trick on the 84th​ minute. Another highlight is that Joe Lewis nabbed his first Clean Sheet as the Cardiff GK.

nPower Football League Championship Team of the Week ending 28/08/2012
19. Don Cowie (M L) and 8. Aron Gunnarsson (M R)

Capitol One Cup Second Round 28/08/2012
Cardiff 3 – 1 Huddersfield Town
Cardiff City Stadium, Att 7,083
Don Cowie (7)
Nicky Maynard (27,65)

Don Cowie started the game off for Cardiff with a goal on the 7th​ minute. Nicky Maynard doubled Cardiff’s lead by half-time. Huddersfield only began to mount a challenge in the second half mounting 6 shots and scoring a goal, but it was too little too late by the 80th​ minute. All in all Cardiff played with a rotated squad with the exceptions of Maynard, Don Cowie, Joe Lewis, Mark Hudson and Aron Gunnarsson.

Shock wins in Capital One Cup Second Round;
(L1) Swindon 1 – 0 Q.P.R (BPL)
(BPL) Wigan 1 – 1p Doncaster (L1)
(BPL) Sunderland 0 – 1 Sheffield Utd (L1)

Now although this is a different month I have to add this match to the August fixtures, considering we played them 3 days ago lol

nPower Football League Championship 1/09/2012
Cardiff 5 – 2 Huddersfield Town
Cardiff City Stadium, Att 25,959 (Sell out)
Nicky Maynard (10, 35, 63)
Rob Earnshaw (47, 87)

Well what can I say, we have played Huddersfield Town twice in 3 days, the first game was with a rotation squad. This game was with the first 11 (except Joe Mason, Groin injury). We did well in the first game. In this match I don’t think Huddersfield touched the ball much. The two goals scored by Huddersfield were because of penalties, one resulting in a spot kick on the 90th​ minute, I think the Ref took pity. This match marks the first nPower Football League Championship match for Kim Bo-Kyung.

End of the Month
What a month for Matthias and Cardiff. One of Cardiff’s key forwards was injured with a groin injury for 4 weeks, which turns out as a blessing in disguise for bench warmer Rob Earnshaw, who ended up notching up 6 goals in 4 games. The midfield and Forwards are absolute dynamite, as for the keeper he ain’t so bad either, getting a clean sheet against Ipswich. Cardiff finish the month on top and undefeated and taken all 3 spots for the top 3 players of the month. Now I know what you all are probably thinking, what such high scores!!!!!
I thought so too, but I have noticed there has been a few high scoring matches, just look at this news clip below for the nPower Championship round-up

View attachment 354797

Now for the bad news, Cardiff have drawn Liverpool in the 3rd​ round of the Capital One Cup, great!!! Hopefully their duties in Europe and the Premiership will keep them distracted.

nPower Football League Championship Ladder

View attachment 354803

nPower Football League Championship Manager of the Month

View attachment 354798

Matthias Schmidt (Cardiff) - 3 wins
Steve Bruce (Hull 3) - wins
Gus Poyet (Brighton) - 3 wins

nPower Football League Championship Player of the Month

View attachment 354800

Nicky Maynard (Cardiff) - 8.77
Aron Gunnarsson (Cardiff) - 8.77
Craig Bellamy (Cardiff) - 8.43

nPower Football League Championship Young Player of the Month

View attachment 354801

Chris Solly (Charlton) - 7.67
Adam Henley (Blackburn) – 7.50
Ashley Richards (Crystal Palace) – 7.47

Team Player of the month
Rob Earnshaw (ST) – 6 Goals – avg rating 8.20

View attachment 354802

Now for those of you out there, I haven’t posted anything up for Vasily and the Central Coast Mariners yet as the A-League season starts in late September/early October.

Next Report: Matthias Schmidt/Wales WCQ

Last edited:
WALES, ROAD TO WORLD CUP GLORY

View attachment 354889

With the UEFA World Cup Qualifiers coming up Matthias had the task of keeping an eye on who is playing hot at the moment and who isn’t. There are decisions to be made, some will go down well whilst some will make the public frown, but thus far Matthias Schmidt playing Rob Earnshaw as starting striker for Cardiff would be a joke, but so far he has started in 4 games and scored 6 goals. So can Wales be trusted in the hands of Matthias Schmidt? Can his uncanny eye for ability be able to tell who deserves a spot in the Welsh side and who doesn’t?

After Evaluations Matthias has come up with the following 23 man team.
View attachment 354872

The Leadership of the team will consist of the following;
Captain: 2. Ashley Williams (Swansea)(D C)
Vice-Captain: 8. Joe Ledley (Glasgow Celtic)(M CR)

After a series of friendlies Matthias decided to go with the 4 – 2 – 2 – 2.
He believes that Wales has a strong attack and wants to take advantage of it.
View attachment 354874

Some controversial decisions included adding Rob Earnshaw as a starting forward. To include Crawley youngster Nick Adams into the side ahead of David Cotterill and to leave Craig Davies out of the team.

View attachment 354875View attachment 354876View attachment 354877

Matthias responded to the criticisms stating that David Cotterill and Craig Davies have not been performing well as of late and should be sidelined in favour of those that are performing at a higher standard, including those that are yet to receive a cap, such as Nick Adams. He also defended the idea of have Rob Earnshaw as starting forward stating that his form is enough to be in the side, and made a remark about how Earnshaw was able to score 6 goals in 4 games.

UEFA World Cup Qualification

View attachment 354878

Wales is in Group 1 of the UEFA World Cup Qualifying Group, and have been drawn against Belgium, Croatia, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), Scotland and Serbia.
The play at home once in 2012 against Serbia at Liberty stadium. The rest are away matches
7/09/2012 vs. Serbia
11/09/2012 at Scotland
12/10/2012 at Belgium
16/10/2012 at FYROM

Next Report: Wales WCQ Match 1 and 2

Last edited:
UEFA World Cup Qualifiers September 2012

Pre Match Odds

View attachment 354919

7/09/2012
Wales 1 - 0 Serbia
Liberty Stadium; Att: 20,745
Ashley Williams (80)
Lewis Price CS

Man of Match: Neven Subotic Srb (Borussia Dortmund)

This match was lucky it wasn’t a draw, unfortunately Earnshaw and Church were not on target. Only 11 shots were attempted and 3 of them were on target. Serbia were more accurate having 5 shots on target out of 10. Defence from both sides truly won this match, and my hat goes off to Lewis Price for the saves and the Clean Sheet. And for the record Ashley Williams only scored because it was a header off a misplaced pass from a Serbian defender in the 6 yard box after a corner.

Pre Match Odds

View attachment 354920

7/09/2012
Scotland 0 - 6 Wales
Hampden Park, Glasgow Scotland; Att: 52,063
Craig Bellamy (11)
Rob Earnshaw (13, 56, 73)
Steve Morison (45, 61)
Lewis Price CS (2 in a row)

Man of Match: Rob Earnshaw (Cardiff)

View attachment 354921

After my blasting at the forwards and the midfield after the last match, I benched Andy King for his abysmal performance and replaced him for Aaron Ramsey, replaced Simon Church for Steve Morison and benched Gareth Bale (Yes I can feel the stare) and put on Hal Robson-Kanu. Well after those changes plus my rev up at the last game and pre game speech, Wales was firing off all cylinders. The score was 3 – 0 at half time. By then I got the team to play a containment role, But the Forwards Earnshaw and Morison still managed to hit on target. What a match and to top it off Lewis Price has not let in an International goal for 180 minutes. I was criticised by the media for including him and Rob Earnshaw in the side, hopefully now they will give me a break after this win.

Ladder after 2 matches

View attachment 354924

Wales, Belgium have won 2 and Croatia have 1 win and 1 draw. It is pretty clear from the match reports I have read from Belgium that they are the threat in this group. Personally I expected Serbia and Scotland to be the tough boys in this pond. Besides the great defence Wales has another positive I take out of this is proving those **** bookies wrong J. Not looking forward to going up against Belgium in October, however with that said the mood in the Wales camp is quite positive going forward.

Next Report: Matthias Schmidt and Cardiff

Last edited:
I will follow this story, nice idea

Thankyou DidierDrogba. I myself have started to read your story. This is a new thing for me though so feel free to chuck any pointers or tell me if I am doing a manager story wrong.

Thanks for the endorsement ;)

It is a behemoth of a challenge and you seem very aware of that which is good. I think you may have a bigger challenge with two managers!

I look forward to this and I will follow :)

To have you as a follower is like your favourite actor coming to watch you act in a film. Thankyou for liking and following, I only hope I don't disappoint. I must admit though, doing this means putting in long hours to typing up reports to the FM-Base. I used to be able to do a season within 2-4 weeks with 2 managers, now I think it would be a little more difficult.

Great idea for a story mate! I'm an Aussie so will be keen to see if you can bring Central Coast the same glory they enjoyed this season winning it all!

Me too mate, I live in Canberra. I grew up in Sydney but never really supported the so called 'local' team. I always liked Central Coast Mariners because they have that underdog status yet still worthy enough to match wits against the likes of Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory. For those of you who are not aware of A-League politics, Sydney and Melbourne are like the Chelsea and Man Utd of the A-League.

I aim to win with the Mariners and I hope I can take them to Asian Champions League glory.

Awesome story idea, looking forward to following this :)

Thankyou for your support, it really means a lot to me to have someone read this. Like I have said previously to others, if you feel the story is too drab and/or I am not following protocol just let me know how I can make things better and I will try to fit in with the rest of the budding Football Managers :)

September 2012 Cardiff

View attachment 356584
View attachment 356585

Transfers
The Transfer window has closed for now and Cardiff did not participate in the transfer period, however they did try to sell of excess players Tommy Smith and Simon Lappin, but there was no interest from buyers.

Staff Changes in Cardiff

Cardiff got a bit of interest for the Fitness coach vacancy, therefore Matthias was able to afford to be choosy, picking Martyn Pert. He has a rating of 20 for fitness and only asked to be paid $825 p/w. Matthias also had a vacancy for Cardiff Under 18s. Some minor interest was found, never the less Peterborough under 18s Manager Scotsman Gavin Strachan showed interest in managing the Cardiff under 18’s team. This position was important to Matthias as he wants to foster the youth academy of Cardiff like his team Dortmund fosters the youth, as he know it will be a while before Cardiff has the money to be splashing around for players. Cardiff had to part way with $55k for Martyn Pert’s services.

View attachment 355685

Top 10 transfers around the world
HEY BIG SPENDER, here is some quick facts from around the world in the transfer market; $270m was splashed around just between the top 10 transfers alone. Manchester City were the biggest spenders of them all, spending $86m to transfer 2 players. PSG are slightly behind them but got more bang for their buck spending $76.5m on 4 players. Tottenham also splashed a bit of cash around, spending $61m for 3 players.

Thomas Muller: FC Bayern Muchen to Manchester City - $56m
Marouane Fellaini: Everton to Tottenham - $41.5m
Yohan Cabaye: Newcastle Utd to Paris Saint Germain - $30.5m
Sandro: Tottenham to Manchester City - $30m
Lars Bender: Bayer Leverkusen to Chelsea - $27m
Henrik Mkhitaryan: Shakhtar Donestsk to SL Benfica - $20.5m
Yuto Nagatomo: Inter Milan to Paris Saint Germain - $19.25
Nacer Chadli: FC Twente to Paris Saint Germain - $16m
Gabby Agbonlahor: Aston Villa to Arsenal - $15m
Torner Herned: Mallorca to CSKA Moskva - $14.75m

View attachment 355686

Top 10 transfers in the nPower Football League Championship
Leeds are the big spenders in the Championship, spending $6.2m to bring in 3 players. Wolves spent $5.3m on 3 players and Ipswich

View attachment 355687

Shaun Cummings: Reading to Wolves – $3.1m
Ryan Shotton: Stoke to Leeds – $2.4m
Ashley Barnes: Brighton to Leeds - $2.1m
Alan Tate: Swansea to Leeds - $1.7m

Richard Chaplow: Southampton to Wolves - $1.4m
Albert Crusat: Wigan to Leicester - $1.3m
Kehinde Fatai: Astra (Romania) to Ipswich - $1.3m

Daylon Claasen: Lierse (Belgium) to Nottingham Forest - $1m
Danny Green: Charlton Athletic to Ipswich - $925k

Jay Tabb: Reading to Wolves - $825k

View attachment 355688

International Representative Update
Well after international games across the world, Cardiff had 6 players earn a cap. They include the following;
Wales: Craig Bellamy, Rob Earnshaw and Ben Turner
South Korea: Kim Bo-Kyung
Scotland: Don Cowie

Unfortunately although Kim played quite well in the AFC WCQ, he got injured in South Korea’s 3 – 4 loss against the Blue Samurai (Japan) and is out for 6 weeks with a twisted ankle.

nPower Football League Championship 15/09/2012
Cardiff 3 - 1 Blackburn
Cardiff City Stadium; Att: 26,312
Nicky Maynard (12, 59)
Joe Mason (81)

This is one of the battles for the top. Blackburn are placed 3rd​ on the ladder and pose a threat to Cardiff. This was also the first match for Joe Mason, whom got injured at the start of the season in the Capital Cup round 1 clash. However he started from the bench as I believe Rob Earnshaw has more than enough earned his spot in the starting lineup, for now though.

In this match the whole team were absolutely stunning, amassing 20 shots to Blackburn’s 4 with only 1 on target. Cardiff had the ball for 60% of the time. Unfortunately Cardiff played aggressively though, with 3 players gaining a yellow card; Ben turner, Matthew Connolly and Liam O’Neil.

nPower Football League Championship Team of the Week ending 28/08/2012
6. Peter Whittingham(M C)

nPower Football League Championship 18/09/2012
Sheffield Wednesday 3 - 3 Cardiff
Hillsborough; Att: 19,032
Nicky Maynard (19)
Peter Whittingham (80)
Don Cowie (90+3)

Man of Match: Nejc Pecnik (Sheff Wed) 2 goals

According to the football pundits this was an enthralling match that threw caution into the wind, it was quoted by the local newspaper that “Football was the winner and neither side had deserved to lose”. If that was the case then Defence was the loser from both sides, Cardiff for not asserting dominance at the beginning of the game and allowing 20 shots and Sheff Wed for losing their legs near the end of the game. From a management point of view Sheffield Wednesday had nearly had the game sealed by the 65th​ minute as the score was 3 – 1. Matthias was seen scrunching up his paper and slamming the chair as he was already angry about Rob Earnshaw’s goal attempt at the 34th​ minute being disallowed due to an offside. Luckily enough by the 75th​ minute Wednesday’s defence had turned to jelly, which allowed Cardiff to sneak two of the easiest goals in the Championship this week, not to mention Don Cowie scoring the equaliser 3 minutes into injury time. This game was Wednesday’s to win and they blew it and underestimated Cardiff’s attack. After the match the FA cautioned Matthias Schmidt for calling the referee’s offside decision on the 34th​ minute an abysmal decision.

nPower Football League Championship 22/09/2012
Millwall 1 - 1 Cardiff
The Den, London; Att: 11,213
Joe Mason (56)

Man of Match: Liam Trotter

Joe Mason started in the first 11 this week whilst we rested Earnshaw. Matthias also decided to rest quite a few players in the squad and to allow the rotation players to make up the first XI as we have Liverpool in 4 days time. It was quite a dull game in the first half, with passing from end of the field to the other with less than 5 shots to both teams. Joe Mason scored the first goal on the 56th​ minute, however Millwall’s Rob Hulse equalised the game in 3 minutes time. The game was what I expected. Unfortunately after although Cardiff are 7 games undefeated, we lose first place to Blackpool.

Capitol One Cup Third Round 26/09/2012

Matthias had rested his team earlier in the week and played the rotation squad. A lot of hype has following this match up as this will be the 2012 Capital One Cup replay, which ended in defeat for Cardiff. This also sees the return of one of the Red’s former players make a return to Anfield, Craig Bellamy. The odds are against Cardiff, however Cardiff have a fully rested squad who are at top condition whilst Liverpool are coming off a 2 – 2 Draw against Hannover and a loss to Arsenal.

View attachment 355690

Liverpool 0 - 1 Cardiff
Anfield; Att: 20,475
Craig Bellamy (28)

View attachment 355692

Man of Match: Sebastian Coates (Liverpool)

This was a very very tight match for Cardiff. Matthias expected Liverpool to have a team with some rotated players, but Matthias also expected the match to be hard, after all Cardiff were up against a Premier League outfit and the last time they met Liverpool won the Capital One Cup. Both team had made 5 shots each and possession was 50/50. Defence and tactics ruled the match as Matthias Schmidt matched wits with his counter Brendan Rodgers. Craig Bellamy Scored a flyer from outside the box on the 28th​ minute, however the game was never won until the full-time whistle. Now onto Round 4.

Capital One Cup Update, shock wins Round 4;
(BPL) Chelsea 1 – 1p Wolverhampton Wanderers (CH)
Wolves win penalties 5 – 3

(BPL) Aston Villa 0 – 2 Hull (CH)
Hull didn’t surprise me too much in fact, as they kinda don’t fit in the Championship and I expect them to win or come second as they are definitely a Premiership outfit.

And weirdest of all, this deserves a WTF
(L1) Doncaster p 0 – 0 Newcastle Utd (BPL)
Doncaster win penalties 4 – 2

nPower Football League Championship 29/09/2012
Cardiff 4 - 2 Birmingham
Cardiff City Stadium; Att: 26,265
Peter Whittingham (pen 17, 81)
Rob Earnshaw (38)
Joe Mason (90+3)

Man of Match: Peter Whittingham

Things did not get off to a good start for Birmingham, after an aggressive slide tackle to Rob Earnshaw within the box. Peter Whittingham was able to convert the spot kick to give Cardiff the lead. Half-time score 2 – 0, however Birmingham were able to level the scores by the 80th​ minute. Matthiaschanged tact, to have the players pass forward and to push up, the tactic played well because playmaker Peter Whittingham was able to score a goal outside of the 18yd box, that should’ve been enough for Cardiff to win the match, but Joe Mason made sure Cardiff won the match by sealing the victory 3 minutes into injury time. Unfortunately Craig Bellamy suffered a twisted ankle on the 60th​ minute. Team physios suggest resting him for 6 weeks.

End of the Month
The positive thing to take forward from this month is that Cardiff are still undefeated, 8 matches into the season, bad news is that we drew with teams that Cardiff should have been able to beat, especially against 19th​ place Sheffield Wednesday. They were the better team in that match, it was unlucky for them we caught up in the dying minutes of the match. We beat Liverpool in the Capital One Cup 1 – 0 and are through to the next round, where will face Burnley in the 4th​ round.

Now for the bad news, Cardiff sustained some injuries in September including the following;
Craig Bellamy, 4 - 6 weeks Twisted Ankle
Kim Bo-Kyung, 7 weeks – 2 months Twisted Ankle

We have brought the following player in from reserves, if he goes well, he may stick around;
Craig Noone (M RL)

View attachment 355694

nPower Football League Championship Ladder
The ladder has changed from last month, Cardiff dropped to 2nd place, whilst Blackpool had 5 straight wins and came from 4th to 1st on the ladder. On other news Burnley rose from 14th to 5th whilst the Wolves dropped from 5th to 9th.

View attachment 355696

nPower Football League Championship Manager of the Month

View attachment 355697

Paul Ince (Blackpool) - 5 wins
Sean Dyche (Burnley) – 4 wins 1 loss
Matthias Schmidt (Cardiff) - 3 wins 2 draws
Paul more than deserved the award. Blackpool are playing their A-Game scoring 16 goals and only conceding 1. They look to be the chief threat to Cardiff’s success, as they usurped Cardiff from top of the ladder.

nPower Football League Championship Player of the Month

View attachment 355698

Nathan Delfouneso (Blackpool) - 8.32, 5 app, 8 goals
Nicky Maynard (Cardiff) - 8.28, 5 app, 6 goals
Craig Cathcart (Blackpool) - 8.35, 4 app, 1 goal

nPower Football League Championship Young Player of the Month

View attachment 355699

Matt Phillips (Blackpool) – 8.26, 5 app, 4 goals
Scott Wootton (Peterborough) – 7.80, 5 app
Rhys McCabe (Sheffielld Wednesday) – 7.38, 5 app

nPower Football League Championship Team of the Week ending 2/10/2012
6. Peter Whittingham (M C)

Team Player of the month
Peter Whittingham (M C) – 3 Goals – avg rating 8.20

View attachment 355700

I will be posting an update about Vasily Petrovich in October, as the A-League kicks off in October.
Next Report: Vasily Petrovich and Central Coast Mariners Set-Up

Last edited:
To have you as a follower is like your favourite actor coming to watch you act in a film. Thankyou for liking and following, I only hope I don't disappoint. I must admit though, doing this means putting in long hours to typing up reports to the FM-Base. I used to be able to do a season within 2-4 weeks with 2 managers, now I think it would be a little more difficult.
Not a problem, i'm really loving the detail level, Keep it up :)

Depth and detail of the story is amazing, Keep it up. Have you forgot about the Mariners updates ?

Depth and detail of the story is amazing, Keep it up. Have you forgot about the Mariners updates ?

No I haven't forgot, there has been ****** all to report that's all. However I am up to October now so I will be doing reports as I am currently playing the A - League. Next update will include the Central Coast Mariners