You’ve actually left it on that note!! May as well have chucked the Eastenders outro at the end lol. What a cliffhanger!

G8AerQi.png

The Warrington Way

Final Day

So here we are, the final day of the season. The equation is simple, we have to win and hope that Leeds beat Millwall at Elland Road.

c34244483d195c1b106e031b3cf43303.png

I've decided to go with our trusted 4-4-2 system which has worked so well over the course of the season. I debated the 5-2-1-2 but decided against it.

9' RED CARD FOR WARRINGTON

07251d339dad361d8d79467e88d00e07.png

An absolute disaster! Ian Hudson goes recklessly sliding in and is given a straight red. I'm going to keep it as a 4-3-2 as we need to win but have Graham Davie operate as a box to box midfielder.

23' GOAL FOR LEEDS (1-0)

1b9b89109170d51bff2649a73617d0e6.png

A huge roar goes up around the ground which can only mean that Leeds have taken the lead.

30' GOAL FOR LEEDS (2-0)

867f29ee1ed3044392a3a9ef1e015549.png

Another massive roar! Leeds have made it two. We really need a goal.

40' GOAL FOR WARRINGTON (1-0)

7225fe2ad447a6b03e3f48d98af3fd8b.png

YESSSSSSS! We take the lead as Paul Glatzel volleys in a cross at the far post.

44' GOAL FOR WARRINGTON (2-0)

0b79edd8c8768810bca43a55c37d36a8.png

TWO! Mitchell crosses in from the right and Vivancos smashes home to double our lead.

54' GOAL FOR WARRINGTON (3-0)

f9ed09bf85d20653d6946a92dcfaa243.png

One foot in the playoffs and what a goal. Oliver McCool steps up and curls in a sublime free-kick from 25 yards.

59' Sub

Daniel Warrington comes on for Ramello Mitchell

71' Sub

Leif Davies comes on for Luke Daley

77' GOAL FOR LEEDS (3-0)

769ccb8ae454de3233fcad82f43ece8f.png

This place is rocking now, Leeds have a third. Surely that means we're in the playoffs now?

83' GOAL FOR LEEDS (4-0)

9ad9875bedd4fa13821901250aa2940b.png

I couldn't tell with all the noise but I'm told Leeds have a 4th. The stadium is bouncing, this is amazing.

88' GOAL FOR WARRINGTON (4-0)

9a3cb1b6341f7e4058cda227edf224aa.png

The ball breaks loose and Dan runs onto it through on goal. Time seems to stand still as he slots it in past the keeper. Next thing I know I'm charging down the touchline and bearhugging my son after his first professional goal. Who started chopping onions?

FULL TIME - WARRINGTON ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS

Absolutely incredible. What a run it's been from being bottom when I took over to being in the playoffs, helped massively by Millwall's decline. Here's the final league table.

43eb6cb1aeafa73469ba0a1e073db5dc.png

G8AerQi.png

The Warrington Way

Playoff Semi-Finals

Derby are our opponents for the semi-finals. We beat them away in the regular season so I'm quietly confident.

First leg

My first big choice was whether to stick with the 4-4-2 system which works well for us or go for the 5-2-1-2 we used to beat Derby at their place. I usually go with the 5-2-1-2 against teams who use a 4-4-2 against us, unless my scouts tell me they are weak against 4-4-2. Derby aren't so 5-2-1-2 it is.

8687f43f99f331ba9e1fb95010791968.png

Click here for Match Stats

A perfect first leg for us as we win by three goals to nil after a great performance. Derby had chances but we defended really well to shut them out.

Second Leg

I decided to make a slight tactical change for the second leg due to our 3-0 lead from the first leg. Our attacking midfielder from the first leg moved into the centre of midfield to give us three in the middle. A bit more defensive but we simply need to avoid a big defeat.

6a6e5743a40b5c0e53928b489e064944.png

Is there a better way to avoid defeat other than winning the game? Absolutely superb from the lads and the result and performance was indicative of the way they've played since I came back into the club.

Aston Villa stand between us and a place in the PREMIER LEAGUE. I'll be honest, I'm bricking it. The biggest game of my life this next one.

C'mon Warrington, queue even more fingers crossed:

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

e61f0fad61bd2b161e625d4198260dff.png

14:00

If you can fill the unforgiving play-off final

With 90 minutes' worth of distance run,

Yours is the Premier League and everything that's in it,

And - which is more - you'll be promoted, my son.

---

14:04

Aston Villa v Warrington Town

After 46 league games and some enthralling play-off semi-finals, it all comes down to this.

One match to decide whether Aston Villa or Warrington Town will join Bristol City and Sheffield United in the Premier League next season.

For the winners - glory and untold riches.

Losing isn't worth thinking about.

---

14:14
BREAKING
Team news

Aston Villa v Warrington Town (15:00 BST)

Aston Villa are unchanged from their semi-final second leg win over Nottingham Forest, sticking with their 5-4-1 formation.

Warrington Town make three changes from their semi-final second-leg win over Derby. Joseph Logan, Ramello Mitchell and Osvaldo Depetris come in for Oliver McCool, Joe White and Nathanael Ogbeta as John Warrington reverts back to a 4-4-2 system.

---

14:18
Line-ups

Aston Villa: Farinez, Celik, McDonald, Cuenca, Rotaru, Stevens, Kremer, Bogusz, Luiz, Joveljic, Le.

Subs: Pickford, Collins, Urzi, Ferati, Shabani, Mohammed, Ellis.

Warrington Town: Ferrone, Msagha, Logan, Teja, Daley, Mitchell, Fiorini, Davie, Depetris, Vivancos, Glatzel.

Subs: Galassi, Ogbeta, White, Warrington, Blackett, Sunjic, Poole.

---

14:41
Kick-off approaching

Kick-off at Wembley is fast approaching and the atmosphere is beginning to build.

Wembley Way is a sea of colour with the claret and blue of Aston Villa and the yellow and blue of Warrington clearly distinguishable.

---

14:54
Here come the teams...

The two captains - Le and Paul Glatzel - lead out Aston Villa and Warrington Town for their date with play-off destiny.

They're welcomed by a wall of noise at Wembley, which looks absolutely superb by the way. One-half claret and blue, the other yellow.

---

15:00
KICK-OFF
Aston Villa 0-0 Warrington Town

Promotion, a Premier League place next season and something in the region of £120m. Football matches don't get much bigger than this.

Warrington Town get the Championship play-off final underway!

---

3 mins

Bright start from Warrington, this. Paul Glatzel's chipped cross from the right just evades the leaping Osvaldo Depetris at the back post.

---

6 mins

Aston Villa looking to ease their way into this play-off final, keeping the ball inside their own half. When they attempt to get it forward, they cough up possession.

---

8 mins

Osvaldo Depetris needs no invitation to get forward from the Warrington midfield. He's inside the Aston Villa box again, trying to get on the end of Luke Daley's floated pass, but it's just over his head.

At the other end, Zeki Celik's right-wing cross for Villa flies straight into the arms of goalkeeper Edoardo Ferrone.

---

11 mins

Bart Stevens - that was adventurous!

The Aston Villa full-back sees the space and eats it up before letting fly from more than 20 yards - his shot beaten away by Edoardo Ferrone in the Warrington goal.

---

18 mins

Joseph Logan heads a Benjamin Kremer cross behind and Aston Villa have a corner...

---

20 mins

Aston Villa's players group together in a conga line as they look to attack the corner, but it doesn't quite work for them.

All in all things are pretty even.

---

28 mins

Villa's Greg McDonald is a little lucky to escape a yellow card for a meaty challenge from behind on Warrington's Ruben Vivancos.

---

31 mins

Warrington keeping the ball well in Aston Villa territory but they haven't tested Wuilker Farinez in the Aston Villa goal yet, and that's something they'll need to rectify over the next hour or so.

---

35 mins

Referee Scott Duncan has a quick word with Aston Villa striker Le, who's involved in a little clash with Warrington defender Romario Teja. Then Villa's Douglas Luiz and Warrington's Mauro Fiorini get in a little scuffle. All getting a bit heated at Wembley.

---

38 mins

Big, big miss for Aston Villa. Ben Kremer works wonders down the right touchline and puts in a teasing cross across the face of goal.

And Le must score...

But Le heads wide with the goal gaping. Could be pivotal.

---

40 mins
GOAL
Aston Villa 0-1 Warrington Town (Osvaldo Depetris)

Le's miss pivotal? You bet.

Osvaldo Depetris picks up the ball 25 yards out, turns inside Greg McDonald and curls past Wuilker Farinez from the edge of the box.

Are Warrington Town going to reach the Premier League for the first time?

---

45 mins
Aston Villa 0-1 Warrington Town

Referee Scott Duncan wants a quick word with Warrington captain Paul Glatzel after a foul on Aston Villa's Greg McDonald. No card, just a warning. Another poor free-kick from Aston Villa is cleared to safety by the Warrington defence.

Two minutes of added time to play.

---

15:50
HALF-TIME

---

16:06
KICK-OFF

Aston Villa kick off, can they get back into this play-off final?

---

54 mins
Bart Stevens does his utmost to raise his Aston Villa team-mates and the crowd as he wins another corner for his side. It's whipped in from the left towards Jorge Cuenca, but the big defender can't divert it on target and it's another goal kick.

---

65 mins

A save for the cameras from Warrington goalkeeper Edoardo Ferrone, who flies high to his left to keep out Le's header.

---

68 mins

If Aston Villa are going to get back into this one, winger Ben Kremer looks the most likely to create them a lifeline. He stands up another cross but Warrington clear safely.

More great work from Osvaldo Depetris at the other end wins a corner for the Wire. He's been outstanding today.

---

70 mins

Le almost gets on the end of a through ball ahead of advancing Warrington goalkeeper Edoardo Ferrone but the Aston Villa striker can't quite get a meaningful touch on the ball. From the next passage of play, substitute Agustin Urzi turns the ball across goal but there's nobody in claret and blue inside the six-yard box to tuck it away.

---

80 mins

Warrington just 10 minutes away from promotion and a place in next season's Premier League, can Villa find an equaliser?

---

83 mins

Edoardo Ferrone makes a smart save to keep out Le's flicked header. It's just not Aston Villa's day at Wembley. Warrington seven minutes away from the Championship.

---

89 mins

Time running out for Aston Villa. Warrington manager John Warrington is as demanding of his players in the last minute as he was in the first.

---

90 mins

Four minutes of added time to play.

---

16:55
FULL-TIME

WARRINGTON TOWN WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP PLAY-OFF FINAL AND ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE.

---

17:03
FT: Aston Villa 0-1 Warrington Town

Warrington captain Paul Glatzel tells Sky Sports: "It's amazing. It's been a long old season.

"We have certainly done it the hard way and sneaking into the playoffs was an achievement in itself. Someone's got to lose and it's unfortunate for them.

"We were magnificent today. We moved the ball well and we were deserved winners."

---

17:06

Warrington lift the play-off final trophy. Joyous scenes at Wembley, for the team in yellow at least.

---

17:12

Warrington midfielder Osvaldo Depetris, scorer of Warrington's goal, tells Sky Sports: "It means everything. We had to do it the hard way. I can't speak highly enough of the staff and the players. We've come so far and I'm so proud of everyone. What a feeling.

"I was delighted to score. You saw that by my celebration - I ran about 100 yards."

---

17:22

Warrington manager John Warrington, tells Sky Sports: "I cant put this into words really. To come from bottom of the league in December to promotion to the Premier League is simply incredible."

"It was a no brainer for me to come back to Warrington. I was there for the non-league days so to now manage them in the Premier League is something very special."

---

17:27

Sadly for Aston Villa, it's the Championship for them again next season. What a wonderful campaign they've had, and they only fell short of promotion at the very final hurdle.

---

17:30
Warrington promoted

Warrington fans, enjoy the celebrations tonight, and we'll see you in the Premier League in August.

Thanks for your company today, and indeed throughout this play-off final weekend. We promised drama, delight and dejection, and the three games we saw didn't disappoint.

G8AerQi.png

The Warrington Way

End of Season Awards

League Stats

League Awards

Manager of the Season

4063e9bc04ac59a8cc0b9722be50100a.png

I definitely can't argue with this one after they won the title by six points!

Player of the Season

6e473b6184be63c8b9258a415b186e19.png

Luciano had a great season for Bristol City!

Club Awards

Fans' Player of the Season

I can't really comment as I missed the first half of the season. However, that being said, when Joe has played under me, he has been superb.

Signing of the Season

I still can't work out how we pulled this one-off. An absolute steal at just 23k.

Young Player of the Season

I said he's a steal at 23k and the fact that he ended up our top scorer after just half a season proves my point entirely.

All-Time Best 11

d710188f1ab493c4e62aa03f03e81bbc.png

G8AerQi.png

The Warrington Way

The Stats

*10 appearances minimum

Most Appearances
1. Luke Daley - 47(2)
2. Paul Glatzel - 45(2)
3. Joe White - 43(2)

Most Goals
1. Ruben Vivancos - 17
2. Paul Glatzel - 16
3. Graham Davie - 7

Most Assists
1. Luke Daley - 9
2. Graham Davie - 7
3. Joe White - 6
=. Paul Glatzel - 6

Highest Average Rating
1. Osvaldo Depetris - 7.72
2. Ruben Vivancos - 7.60
3. Graham Davie - 7.43

Player of the Match Awards
1. Paul Glatzel - 5
2. Joseph Logan - 4
3. Joe White - 4

Most Interceptions
1. Joseph Logan - 103
2. Nathanael Ogbeta - 90
3. Romario Teja - 89

Tackles Completed
1. Luke Daley - 141
2. Nathanael Ogbeta - 103
3. Jack Blackett - 102

Pass Completion %
1. Edoardo Ferrone - 82&
2. Ruben Vivancos - 77%
=. Joe White - 77%

Shots on Target
1. Paul Glatzel - 72
2. Ruben Vivancos - 35
3. Joe White - 28

Distance covered per 90 mins
1. Mauro Fiorini - 8.2mi
=. Samuel Msagha - 8.2mi
3. Graham Davie - 8.0mi

G8AerQi.png

The Warrington Way

Retained List

This is where the going gets really tough. Now we're going up, our squad is not going to cut it and we have a lot of loan players going back to their parent clubs. There's a lot of work to be done.

Under Contract

Sergio Galassi
Remeao Poole
Ruben Vivancos
Jack Blackett
Sam Harker
Paul Glatzel
Ivan Sunjic
Daniel Warrington
Samuel Msagha
Joseph Logan
Ian Hudson
Luke Daley
Ramello Mitchell
Joe White
Will Fish
Nathanael Ogbeta

Loan renewed

Romario Teja
Edoardo Ferrone

Retain

N/A

Loan Ending

Mauro Fiorini
Osvaldo Depetris
Kevin Crepin
Graham Davie
Oliver McCool

Release

Jack Baxter
Leif Davies
Fraser Stewart
Luke Wood

G8AerQi.png

The Warrington Way

Pre-season 2028

15th June

Will Fish
joins Blackburn for a fee of 700k

19th June

Warrington confirm the signing of right-back Juan Carlos Munoz from Real Madrid on a free transfer

21st June

Full-back Alejandro Mas signs from Real Madrid on a free transfer

30th June

Midfielder Hugo Menendez signs on a free transfer

1st July

Ivan Sunjic joins HNK Rijeka for a free of 1.5m

4th July

Midfielder Ryota Ishikawa signs from Urawa Red Diamonds for a fee of 3.4m

6th July

Winger Thomas Allan signs from Newcastle on loan

8th July

Defender Chris Bennett signs from Hull for a fee of 5.25m

9th July

Rameao Poole
joins Southend for a fee of 240k

10th July

Defender Jose Luiz Gonzalez joins from Barcelona for a fee of 2.6m

12th July

Midfielder Alan Ellis signs on a free transfer

13th July

Striker Joe Gelhardt joins from Fulham for a fee of 11.25m

15th July

7e13c98f6a0060957b9c1bb760b00150.png

18th July

Midfielder Cris signs from Liverpool on loan

584531cccd6b8ed367370144b684d5a3.png

19th July

Nathanael Ogbeta
signs for Getafe for a fee of 8.25m

Midfielder Takaki Niwa signs from PSG on loan

20th July

6d86b45b0e3fad4da7ef2f2bb7bb493f.png

21st July

e243935118adac6f860f0bc501a9428a.png

Hopefully, we can prove everyone wrong

22nd July

eb9bb744b3636a8f0bd88892da85ebac.png

25th July

f02fbb859a8e510233d35bb070f818d1.png

29th July

Joe White
joins Derby for a fee of 3.7m

b4a126a11d09630ba9ca4ca9a04e700b.png

31st July

bb9e92256e2217088b95b0b6766b0de1.png

3rd August

Jack Blackett
joins Middlesbrough for a fee of 4.8m

Sam Harker joins Ipswich for a fee of 300k

Midfielder Freddy Godoy signs from Cerro Porteno for a fee of 925k

Good luck, will be tricky but we have faith ? ?

In other news, hows your "son" getting on? Must be strange being managed by your dad and playing in a stadium named after him :p

New signings look promising! I love the facepack you use for the regens, where can i find that? I know you had previously mentioned it so my bad!

Some excellent signings there. Will be looking forward to see how you do in the premiership

G8AerQi.png

The Warrington Way

August 2028

d29f6caa433bf110eabeb8eea6e977dd.png

I'll be honest, Chelsea were the better team for the entire game and I'm not really sure how we stole a point. I'll certainly take it though!

6cdf891c70eaad06c031e1dd668b3c31.png

Our first win in the Premier League and what a win it was. Sure, Tottenham were probably the better team, but we took our chances to win by two goals to nil despite going down to ten men.

e2a1a303a2a5df4d8d5476715d61ebd3.png

After winning last time out, I deviated from my tactical system and kept it the same despite what the scout reports said. Bad idea. We were 2-0 down within the first ten minutes. Luckily the lads did really well to fight back and salvage a point.

18b2cac1c4b40267df1b6af596a73e1c.png

I put out a reserve side for our game against Preston in the Carabao Cup and it almost backfired. We were the better team, but Preston fought hard to keep it at 1-1. Luckily for us, we won the lottery that is the penalty shootout.

24th August

Warrington to play Man City away in the Carabao Cup 3rd round

6faa86708231ea84bb270ac410891571.png

I hope we never have to have that ****house of a referee ever again. If any of our players dared to breathe near an Arsenal player then he gave a free-kick and he gave us absolutely nothing. I'm just glad we were able to come away with a draw.

27th August

9b26564cd730064aafc01f2e09da4cfa.png

3fd77b275ae87441bff20bee1b9f1ac4.png

Fantastic news as the board agree to upgrade both our training and youth facilities. We really need this as our facilities are well below Premier League standard.

Team Stats

cbb5af167edda96affcf8e5cbe13b904.png

Player Stats

ac68be73ba28a78d37e9eb85c5db7250.png

League Table

88a1aa8cf3ed11a95ad5e8dc53880f9b.png

I'm delighted with our start in the Premier League. To not lose when three of the opponents were Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal is incredible for a team of our stature.

Next Month's Fixtures

024efaa680541a06d620227ac19e72a8.png

G8AerQi.png

The Warrington Way

September 2028

4f3e76f680b2d6f4390ee1029fdeab84.png

For the United game, I decided to go with the 4132 system but in the first half, they battered us. The only thing they didn't do was score. Luckily for us, Ben Godfrey saw red and it changed the game. I switched to three in central midfield and we dominated to win 2-0.

e35ff92a5871f0cfb22c58de4e7f8ab1.png

A good win against Burnley with both goals coming early in the second half. Once we got ahead, we defended superbly to keep the clean sheet and take all three points.

15th September

Ruben Vivancos
ruled out for 2-3 weeks with pulled knee ligaments

006128fb591924e1641c73494de9f6d1.png

Boy did we ride our luck in this one. City had enough chances to win three games but didn't put them away and we were able to hit them on the counter.

23rd September

Warrington to play Nottingham Forest at home in the Carabao Cup 4th Round

44fdec0b056e60662482adcf949af283.png

To be honest, we were really poor at Fulham. At 2-0, I decided to switch to a flat 442 system and we managed to get back into the game and secure a point.

eb0b30bec93fe6b3789d129c5e0e720e.png

Following the success of the 442 against Fulham, I stuck with it for the Brighton game despite my scouts telling me that other systems would be better. Thankfully, the lads put in a great performance to dominate the home side and give us all three points.

30th September

1296c5a274f972b12d705f329860e71f.png

It's only a small expansion but this is great news as it'll mean we can earn more money from ticket sales.

Team Stats

f83fd39d2b4c7cca561883157c2b378e.png

Player Stats

5c64cb8b9448340dd3a711b12c02c216.png

League Table

7dc965bda7a3c4822749f251cc080790.png

Unbeaten in eight Premier League games, that's incredible. I know we'll have a dip at some point but we're enjoying the ride we're on. The lads have been superb so far this season.

Next Month's Fixtures

f7efd56a1e598514849e00071b64733e.png

G8AerQi.png

The Warrington Way

October 2028

2nd October

Ian Hudson
out for 4 weeks with a twisted ankle

6th October

Juan Carlos Munoz
out for 2-3 months with a torn hamstring

11th October

Ruben Vivancos
out for 2-3 months with a torn thigh muscle

2faa75cd3fe5ab7cc0981f0473f0879a.png

A disappointing result. In defence of my players though, Bristol City shut up shop when they went down to ten and made it incredibly difficult for us to break them down. Fair play to them.

20th October

Thomas Allen
out for 3-5 weeks with a twisted ankle

64f0e28cbdf540efb50d7603cbb94cf9.png

A great result against West Ham and it was great to see my lad score two goals on a rare start for him.

3431736c15087598dcf572b4f75e8bc3.png

A Cris hat-trick puts us safely through to the next round of the Carabao Cup. Forest had chances to score but didn't take them luckily for us.

27th October

Warrington to play Tottenham at home in the Carabao Cup Quarter Final

afa0fa16dc8a806bc480c0b5ac81ba39.png

A really poor result this one. We simply didn't take our chances and you just can't do that at this level. We need a good response away at Leicester in our next game.

Team Stats

56ea29823f06d9e24cc0bcd2b260553c.png

Player Stats

232aa11206e17bf2e367d29c366eb271.png

Finances

08d5d087590a541f84f74943808d4d00.png

I just wanted to point this out. What a difference being in the Premier League makes.

League Table

c47f489b5c1d28a618adf4983940b07c.png

Really happy with our current position of 6th, especially given the number of injuries we've had recently. I don't think we'll stay there until the end of the season but I think a mid-table position is definitely a strong possibility.

Next Month's Fixtures

666e029f51573c814f4364e1e84c9f27.png