Theo tipped to emulate Henry

Cloud~

Reaction score
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6483715,00.html

Arsene Wenger believes Theo Walcott can make the same sort of impact at Arsenal as Thierry Henry, admitting the England international is 'very close' to playing as a striker.
Henry
spacer.gif
became a Gunners legend during eight years with the club from 1999 to 2007 and Walcott
spacer.gif
has always been likened to the Frenchman in terms of playing style.
But whereas Henry was transformed from a wide man into a centre-forward by Wenger, Walcott has primarily been used as a winger at Emirates Stadium since his arrival from Southampton.
spacer.gif

Wenger has noted an improvement in Walcott's finishing this season and thinks the 21-year-old could have a long-term future up front.
"Theo is very, very close to playing that striker role. He can be a prolific striker," said Wenger.
"The thing is with you in England, you are very impatient.
"Don't forget that when Thierry Henry came here, he was a winger. When I played him as a central striker, he said to me 'But I can't score goals'.
"I knew Thierry when he was 14 and at 15 knew he could score goals because he played central. Then I left Monaco
spacer.gif
and they moved him to the flank but I knew in my head he could do it.
Replica

"It looks to me that Theo has a calmness in front of goal. Before, he rushed his decision but now he is different in front of goal.
"It's difficult to compare the similarities. Is Thierry a replica of Theo? Is Theo a replica of Thierry? No. But they have in common tremendous pace, they are good finishers and both are intelligent.
"To go through what Theo has gone through, live it, as he has lived it, is incredible."
Arsenal
spacer.gif
are renowned for their attractive passing game and often have to show patience as they look to break teams down, but Walcott's blistering speed offers an extra dimension
"Theo is the quickest player I've ever seen whereas Thierry is a player who likes the ball more. But Theo is more direct," Wenger explained.
"Our game is based on team play and the guy who gives an assist is as important as the guy who scores the goal.
"Theo has convinced a lot of people. He gives us hope when you see the team struggle because Theo can make a difference with his pace."
Humility

Wenger is a fan of Walcott's attitude as well as his footballing ability, saying the youngster was very dignified in the way he handled his World Cup
spacer.gif
snub this summer.
"His attitude, his commitment, no matter through good or bad times, he shows commitment and humility - respect as well," said Wenger.
"He never makes any stupid statements. He has faced everything with intelligence and humility.
"He went to the World Cup at 17, had never played a Premier League game before and after he had to go with the Under-21s at 20 and still he said: 'OK, I will show on the pitch what I can do'.
"Then this summer he wasn't taken to the World Cup. At 17, he was taken to the World Cup and he wasn't at 21."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think, is it Theo's year? Personally, I think it can be.

Another thing that's interesting is, Wenger has been saying this for years but we have never believed him "We have too many strikers". Now we've got Theo, Bendtner (who's looking good these days), Vela (who definetely has great potential), JET (great potential, close to breaking into first team), Chamakh(obviously at least a good player) and RVP (who is world class when he's not injured). When all of these guys are fit I'm interested to know how we will actually play... 3 upfont? Theo-Chamakh-RVP? I don't know, that would be my best guess.

Oh I knew I was forgetting someone, Arshavs he's basically a striker for us lol.

I just can't see it if I'm honest...

the only emulation Theo will do is by playing Pokemon on his Pc..

When I first read the thread title I thought it said Hesky.....Bit dissapointed to be honest...

Hope he does play that well but won't become weak like the Henry now.

Another thing that's interesting is, Wenger has been saying this for years but we have never believed him "We have too many strikers". Now we've got Theo, Bendtner (who's looking good these days), Vela (who definetely has great potential), JET (great potential, close to breaking into first team), Chamakh(obviously at least a good player) and RVP (who is world class when he's not injured). When all of these guys are fit I'm interested to know how we will actually play... 3 upfont? Theo-Chamakh-RVP? I don't know, that would be my best guess.

Oh I knew I was forgetting someone, Arshavs he's basically a striker for us lol.
What about this part of the OP?

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

When I first read the thread title I thought it said Hesky.....Bit dissapointed to be honest...
Why? Because you might have down-syndrome?

He's got nowhere near enough technical skill to get near Henry's level of ability.

Can you ever see Walcott doing this?...

YouTube - henry vs man united great goal
Read the OP, the differences between Henry and Walcott are clearly stated. By emulate Henry he doesn't mean be the same person, he means he could have the same impact on our team.

Read the OP, the differences between Henry and Walcott are clearly stated. By emulate Henry he doesn't mean be the same person, he means he could have the same impact on our team.

Fair enough, couldnt be asked to read the entire text tbh.

What about this part of the OP?

[COLOR=#00e0]---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------[/COLOR]

Why? Because you might have down-syndrome?

Riiiight.... Odd thing really isnt it. Are you frustrated with somthing? Do you know anybody with Down Syndrome?

Riiiight.... Odd thing really isnt it. Are you frustrated with somthing? Do you know anybody with Down Syndrome?
Nope, just wondering what you were getting at.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

He'll never have the same impact. Opinion.
Fixed.

Nope, just wondering what you were getting at.

[COLOR=#00e0]---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------[/COLOR]

Fixed.

What I was getting at? I misread somthing and thought Wenger was hoping Walcot would be the new Hesky, which obviously isnt as good as being as good as the next Henry. Pretty simple really.

What I was getting at? I misread somthing and thought Wenger was hoping Walcot would be the new Hesky, which obviously isnt as good as being as good as the next Henry. Pretty simple really.
Yes. I was wondering why you were disappointed, which is where the down-syndrome comment came from, pretty simple.

Not really. Common sense can analyse Walcott won't reach the heights Henry did or have the same impact in the team.
Sure.

Honestly I'm not here to argue with people about whether Theo will be great or not, I think he can be and if he does it will have a great impact on our team. On the other hand, if he flops, its not going to be a defining moment in our history so I don't really care, we still have RVP and Chamakh along with other great potentials.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

What has down syndrome got to do with being dissapointed?
Well if you can't make the links then I suggest you visit your GP.

Sure.

Honestly I'm not here to argue with people about whether Theo will be great or not, I think he can be and if he does it will have a great impact on our team. On the other hand, if he flops, its not going to be a defining moment in our history so I don't really care, we still have RVP and Chamakh along with other great potentials.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

Well if you can't make the links then I suggest you visit your GP.

Your right he can be, but he likely won't, I can't see it happening. This is why to compare him to Henry (success wise) is just stupid. There is no chance he will achieve this.

Your right he can be, but he likely won't, I can't see it happening. This is why to compare him to Henry (success wise) is just stupid. There is no chance he will achieve this.
I don't see why it's stupid. You don't have to be the same person to reach the same heights. As I said, I'm not really bothered to argue about this, especially with someone making definitive statement about things that they can not possibily know.