Copa America 2027

So, my first international tournament begins. With Mexico B, Brazil and Paraguay to face, it won't exactly be an easy start either. First up though, we faced a Mexico B side with some names I know well from the European circuit.

We started in much the same form that we've been in the last year, going 3-0 up. Torres' red card was stupid though, and we nearly let Mexico back in. 3-2 the final score, 3 points in the bag, and onwards to play Brazil in the biggest test of my Chile career.

View attachment 186285

Unfortunately, that test was a fail. Not so much because we played badly, but because we can't take penalties. To say I'm incredibly disappointed is an understatement.

View attachment 186284

The group so far means we need to beat Paraguay to progress. Unfortunately, despite hammering at the door, it would only finish 1-1. We get through as one of the best 3rd places, where we get lucky, as we'll be playing Bolivia in the Quarter Finals.

View attachment 186283

A blistering start puts us through. After they pulled it back to 2-1, it became an incredibly nervy match, with neither team able to assert dominance. We scrape through though, and we'll be matching up with Brazil again in the semis. Yay.

View attachment 186282

Once again, a blistering start by both teams, but we fell short first. A 3-2 defeat is by no way shaming, but it would have been very nice to reach the final, which is Brazil/Costa Rica B. We'll go on to play Mexico B in the 3rd place playoff.

View attachment 186281

4th it is. A level game decided by a potential gem for Mexico. Still, the progress is there for all to see. 10th in the WC qualis, to 4th in the Copa America is a great turn around, and with performances like that, I'd be confident in reaching the World Cup in 3 years time.

View attachment 186280

Wow 2 points never seen anything like it b4 ????????????

Summer 2027 - The Transfer Window So Far

So, ahead of us, we have a busy season. Our first ever Champions League campaign, alongside a push for the title, and hopefully success in the FA and League Cups as well. As such, we will need to strengthen ourselves accordingly.

Defence is somewhere I have in mind as a priority, with the departure of Gustavo Alexandre leaving me one short at the back. Thankfully, one such replacement does exist. Through my time at Chile, I have become well acquainted with Claudio Zuniga, a centre back who can also play on the right. After an impressive Copa America, and two/three years of scouting, I made a move for him, confirming the deal at 7.75m.

View attachment 186214

Jordan Pickford, Will Hughes and Demerai Gray all join from Palace for smallish fees as we boost our homegrown contingent as well.

The other signing I'm excited about so far is that of Guiseppe Gagnon-Lapare. The Canadian right winger has been on my radar for the past season, and we actually wrapped a deal for him back in April. Work permits will be an issue though, so for the time being, the winger is off to Portugal, where he will represent Arouca.

View attachment 186213

On a similar tack, Seydou Sakanoko, who was to join OGC Nice for the season, finally gained a work permit, so he returns to our first team for the season. He'll be Pereira's understudy for now.

View attachment 186212

Departures see the long serving Cordoba and Sampaio leave us. Cordoba had fallen behind Aleman as the 2nd CM, and with Fernandez returned from Gala, it was felt it was best for him to move. Sampaio leaves to join Udinese in Italy, as he was unhappy with playing time. I was also unhappy with his performances, not doing enough to cover for Lievens last season. His departure leaves us a striker short though going into the new season, so 21 year old Andrew Green will provide cover while I find a replacement.

View attachment 186215

August 2027 - End of Window Round Up

So, the end of the transfer window came about, and left me with a few questions and problems to deal with. First, we'll start with the football, then we can worry about the playing staff after.

We start the season with a home game to Leicester. Should my Lincoln tenure end, Leicester would be a destination that would interest me, them and Liverpool. Having said that, I would be very open to moving abroad. That's a long road off yet though, I have trophies to win.

The match itself was very straight forward as it turns out, as we dispatched them 3-0. My worst fears were realised when Lievens limped off early, but Green stepped up, and his 2 goals and an assist were important to his development. They were also his first league goals for the club. Lievens turned out to be injured for 5 weeks, so the need for a striker became a lot more urgent.

View attachment 186088

A trip to Bournemouth was next for us, and we scored another 3 goals on our first away day. Green started for us, and scored again, as he started to show why I signed him a few seasons back. We lost the clean sheet late on, but we retain our perfect start to the season so far.

View attachment 186086

Forest got away with a point though. Pickford played with Sands injured, and his error cost us a point. Once again, we are still scoring, but we need to work on our defensive errors. It cost us the league last season, and I'd rather not experience that again.

View attachment 186084

During the coming week, we found out that we'd travel to QPR for the League Cup 3rd round. Not ideal, but we could win it.

We also found out our first ever Champions League group. Not looking forward to that, Dortmund are the best team in Germany right now, and big spending Lyon have put together a formidable side. We should get 3rd as a minimum, but I'll be pushing us for 2nd. The home games have to count.

View attachment 186082

We also get some good news in that we finish our stadium expansion. A 26,120 seater stadium should come in pretty handy.

View attachment 186079

Brentford left it late, but they sucker punched us and stole a point. Bit miffed really, but not much I can do about it now. Almeida was injured for a month as well, so I launched into Zeljko Petrovic post match about being unnecessarily aggressive. It's turning into a bit of a grudge match now between us two, and I look forward to Brentford being relegated at the end of the season.

View attachment 186076

Table

View attachment 186075

Transfers

As pointed out previously, we needed a striker. Divock Origi was available, so we brought him in as a backup for Lievens. We sold Ward Prowse and sent a couple of players on loan to Championship Harrogate, but come the deadline, and we were still short of players. Striker-wise, we searched high and low for someone to act as backup for Lievens. Eventually, I decided on Ferhat Oz, who joins from Valencia for 7.25m. The lad has talent, but we will need him to hit the ground running, with Lievens still out, and Green suffering from a couple of knocks.

View attachment 186074

We also went head to head with Real Madrid for the next young talent off the Chilean production line. Thankfully, we had enough pulling power to bring in Mansilla. I would have liked to have loaned
him out, but with no takers, he will work with our squad for the next 6 months. Gagnon-Pierre also has a work permit now, so we recall him from Arouca, and bring him in as Tello's cover.

September 2027

We start the month in sunny Costa Rica, where my Chile side fell to a disappointing 1-0 defeat. We have the WC qualifiers coming up next month, so I'll be looking to turn around 3 defeats in a row. We also lose Pereira for 2 months, so Sakanoko will take over for on the left flank.

View attachment 184568

Our return to league action sees us up against Southampton. Oz scored on debut, whilst Benali ran the show as we turned a close game into a 3-0 win. Our pressing at the end paid off, and we come away from the match highly satisfied with our efforts.

View attachment 184563

Next up was our first ever Champions League match, in which we comfortably dispatched Maccabi. It wasn't a particularly exciting match, but we got the job done easily enough.

View attachment 184562

Kenedy was very much villain turned hero in our game, scoring a bizarre hattrick of an OG then two goals. The second saved Liverpool a point in injury time, as we both remained unbeaten for the season.

View attachment 184561

What should have been a difficult match with QPR ended up being a rout, as we put 5 past the hosts. It sees us through to the next round, where we'll be facing Liverpool at Sincil Bank.

View attachment 184560

Yet again, City beat us. Really starting to hate them. What is more gutting is that we thoroughly deserved all the points and get absolutely none.

View attachment 184559

We finish the month against a strong Lyon side in France, where we pick up another 3 points. Lyon proved to be a tricky opponent, but Tello and sub Green finished them off with a couple of good counters.

View attachment 184558

Tables:

View attachment 184557

View attachment 184556

Congrats on making the CL for the first time, and hopefully you can push for the PL title this season. Sakanoko looks like a classy player

Congrats on making the CL for the first time, and hopefully you can push for the PL title this season. Sakanoko looks like a classy player

I'm just glad to be able to use him, he's been at the club 3/4 seasons at least by now I think, but I couldn't get a permit. I'd sent him on loan before he got one, so straight back into the team he went.

October 2027

Our fixtures just do not get easier, and this month we start against Arsenal at the Emirates. Last season we thumped them in their own ground, but they had an early sending off. Ideally we want a repeat performance, but just the three points will do.

As it happens, by the time we left the Emirates, I was incredibly satisfied with our days work. We had well and truly trounced Arsenal in their own back yard. From my point of view, it was incredibly pleasing to see Hans Tello put in another superb shift on the right wing. I was always edgy when Michalek left in January, and to be honest, Tello was originally a temporary solution. The fact that he is now one of the best wingers in the Premier League is testament to the hard work he has put in this season.

View attachment 184061

Hans and I didn't head back up to Lincoln with the rest of the squad, as we departed to meet the squad in Santiago for a few days, before travelling to play Bolivia. Chile only got 13 points in the last WC qualifying campaign, so I really can't do any worse. However, with the squad I have available, I will be pushing the team to reach the World Cup in Spain.

Thankfully, we got off to the best possible start. I learned from the Copa America that the team was playing slightly within itself, so I encouraged them to play in a similar style to Lincoln; fast, flowing football, and pressing the team up the pitch. We were magnificent from start to finish, and it was nice to see striker, not CWB, Saccani get a goal after a difficult tournament last time out.

View attachment 184059

Our next challenge was more difficult though; Argentina. I'd never personally played them, but was well aware of the talent they possessed. Despite their best efforts though, a solitary own goal saw us win in front of our own fans. The Chilean revolution is now well and truly in motion, and our rise to 27th in the rankings finally puts us somewhere more fitting of our quality.

View attachment 184058

With Villa coming to the Bank, I was well aware of how defensive they were likely to be. As it turns out, it was our profligacy that really cost us from a big victory. In the end, it fell to substitute Origi to tap home from close range, sealing us the points.

View attachment 184056

Our trip to Germany was much more entertaining though, as we faced the second massive test of our continental credentials. Having beaten Lyon, we were confident, and Oz's goal put us ahead in the first half. Unfortunately, we did concede late on, but a point in Dortmund was still an impressive achievement for us nonetheless.

View attachment 184055

With the Dortmund trip being rough on fitness levels, we rotated around a bit. As it happened, they were raring to go, as we raced into an early lead. From there, we saw the game out, although losing the clean sheet was inconvenient. Yet again though, we demonstrated the form that really put us on the footballing map last season.

View attachment 184053

Our most successful competition saw us matched with Liverpool, and we didn't fail to meet the challenge. Our search for consecutive trophies carries on, as a goal for sub Green put the game just out of reach of the Reds. The cup fought back though, and we face City at home next time out.

View attachment 184052

Yet again, we dominated a match, but couldn't finished. To say I was frustrated on the touchline was an understatement as we wasted chance after chance to finish the game. Tello's goal netted us the three points though, and leaves us top of the league at the end of the month.

View attachment 184051

In addition to 1st in the table, we are first for the Champions League. A rather successful start if I do say so myself.

View attachment 184050

View attachment 184049

Last edited:
7th January 2028

Bit of a random date to return some news on, but it's convenient enough for me. So, what's been happening in the last two months? Well, we have gone from a dominant team to a pretty crappy one by all accounts. As seen below:

View attachment 182971

We just can't win. Quite literally, we only win one league game in the entirety of December. That sucks a lot. I'm used to Lincoln being bad IRL, the least they can do is not be bad on FM.

View attachment 182970

Table-wise, we are hanging on in there. Surprise package Liverpool still sit atop the pile, but City are hot on their heels. If we can remember how to win, I'm pretty sure we can get ourselves back in the mixer as well.

What about the Champions League, I hear you ask. Well, we got 2nd in the group. Pretty chuffed with that, especially with Bayern and Real also finishing second. So come the draw, we get...

View attachment 182969

We're off to Portugal again. Porto should be a tough challenge, but having dealt with Sporting and Braga in previous seasons, I like our chances of sneaking through.

We do make a new signing as well, as Eric Outtara joins our midfield possy. The Ivorian international has just won the European Golden Boy award, and we were delighted to have acquired him from Bursaspor for 10.5m.

View attachment 182968

So, that's all for this time folks. I'll be dealing with Derby in the cup next as we search for a win, and you'll find out what happened when Lincoln return at the end of January.

January 2028 Part 2

So, last time we spoke, Lincoln were up the proverbial without a paddle. One league win in the last month, a defence leakier than the Titanic, and a goal-shy striker in Lievens that made Torres and Falcao look good.

We continued our month with a home game against Derby. Usually the FA Cup is a welcome distraction from league football, but Derby are decent, and a potential CoC finalist as well. So, we weren't expecting an easy ride.

Thankfully, an Oz double did enough damage for us. The deadline day signing has bedded in very well for us, and has played more regularly than Lievens in recent matches; an opportunity he has seized with both hands.

Our win sees us off to the lights of Blackpool for round 4.

View attachment 182669

A few days later, and Bournemouth were the visitors. Titanic survivor Lievens started ahead of Oz, who was feeling the after effects of leading the line at the weekend, and he finally showed some of the talents that prompted me to pay a Lincoln transfer record of 19.75m for him. 2 much needed goals for the Belgian, and our first league win in a month sees us go some way to returning to where we should be.

View attachment 182667

Forest were largely unfortunate when we went to the City ground. We were in rampant form, smashing 5 past the keeper. What was more pleasing was the fact that we had 5 different scorers for this one. Losing the clean sheet was annoying, but in the grand scheme of things, I'm more than happy with the 3 points here in what had the potential to be a rough match for us.

View attachment 182666

An edgy match at the Bank saw us through to the Capital One Cup final to play CR7's Man Utd team, but I stood furious on the touchline as half time sub Origi contrived to miss not one, but two penalties. He got a hefty fine for poor performance, and subsequently missed the next few games, Gagnon-Lapare being favoured. The match itself was dull otherwise, as both teams felt the pressure.

View attachment 182662

The big news away from the pitch this month wasn't a new transfer, but that Lincoln may be on the move! We're looking into the construction of a 35k seater stadium. Plans should be around late next season, so I'm hoping to have some new silverware to put the large trophy cabinet I'm having installed there.

View attachment 182661

Last but not least, we go off to the lights of Blackpool for a sellout match. The TV crews were in attendance as well to see us complete an easy 3-0 win. It was slow going for a while, but a first Lincoln goal for Gagnon-Lapare, followed by Benali and Zuniga sealed a 5th round tie at home to Forest. Might this be the year we make the FA Cup our own?

View attachment 182660

An upturn in form sees us back in the mixer in 2nd. A point off the top, we'll be looking to go better than last year, and finish what we started.

View attachment 182658

Transfer-wise, there were no major incomings. Despite the temptation to bring in a big name or two, Outtara remained our only acquisition of the window. Pleasingly he has settled quickly, and the three of him, Baack and Aleman are all in imperious form currently. It's hard to only pick two of them. That said,I'm looking at retraining Outtara to push further up the pitch, where he can support Rivero and Benali at AM.

I digress. With the signing of Outtara, we need to make room, and long-serving midfielder Joaquin Dutra is the one to leave. He heads to Dynamo Kiev, having made 100 league apps, scoring 5. We also see Rodriguez, Mansilla and Cisterna leave on loan, whilst young Morrison joins the growing ranks of Lincoln youth prospects on loan at championship Harrogate.

So, with the stage set for February, we look forward to the Capital One Cup final, the Champions League knockouts and the FA Cup. In addition, we are in for a rough league battle. It's going to be our toughest season yet.

Great read as always. Excited to see how you do against FC Porto. Also a European golden boy for 10.5?!? I can't wait to follow his development.

Great read as always. Excited to see how you do against FC Porto. Also a European golden boy for 10.5?!? I can't wait to follow his development.

It helps that I had the deal confirmed in November, so I knew he was in with a shout of winning EGB, but not that he was guaranteed it. Also helps that he was at Bursaspor as opposed to a large rep club.