Thiago Motta Capped for Italy

It's all fine people saying "Only English players!!" I assume you mean anybody born in England? What about somebody born abroad but with English parents [i.e Hargreaves], if somebody considers themselves to be English and/ or is dedicated enough to actually want to play for our country why shouldn't we let them?

I'm sure Motta gave the same commitment to the Italians as he would have the Brazilian national team, but because he wasn't born Italian means he shouldn't play?

If someone's parents are English, and they speak English and actually want to wear the shirt with pride then I don't mind them playing for England.

But Motta to already consider himself Brazilian (as he decided to play for 'em) then to decide he wants to play for Italy I wouldn't have that.

If you see what I mean?

I think (Not sure) that Motta was capped for Brazil's olympic squad.

I think it should stay the way it is. Why place dual nationalities into our team, if we ever won anything with them that would be reasoned for our acomplishment.

arteta is not better than the options that we have available - he's aging and his performances have dwindled from previous seasons..

Steven Fletcher refuses to play for scotland :L

Ageing? The guy is 28! If you consider that old then I have no idea how you are a Chelsea fan.. And he's put in much better and many more performances than Lampard has this season.. Not that I'm making this about Lampard just stating as he was England's captain last week.

The games for Brazil will not have been competition based games ie. Friendly

exactly , germany , always reach atleast quater finals , why because they have turks,polish etc playing for them , id welcome this rule , i was we would of got balebefore this though :(

I just think you should be english, or have lived and grown up there because otherwise there will be no point in a national team, if your team is made up of players that are, effectively NOT english.

I think it should stay the way it is. Why place dual nationalities into our team, if we ever won anything with them that would be reasoned for our acomplishment.

And...?

exactly , germany , always reach atleast quater finals , why because they have turks,polish etc playing for them , id welcome this rule , i was we would of got balebefore this though :(

that's different - ozil, khedira, klose and podolski have all grown up in germany. they haven't come there when they were adults and then changed nationality. they are actually german

Shaun Maloney is from Bangladesh but he plays for Scotland through his parents

Aiden McGeady plays for Ireland through his Grandparents he is Scottish

I remember supporting Greg Rusedski as much as I did Henman.

Canadian accent and all.

Id rather win than lose.. and if that meant calling up arteta ETC then why not..

all of you can say were not doing it the right way ETC but were not winning and you lot would suddenly change your mind and support if we were to win stuff

We would all rather win than lose, no one is disagreeing there, and Im not disagreeing that Arteta would definitely contribute to the England side, and Im not saying i wouldn't support him playing in an England shirt :S

I just don't think it will be beneficial for the future. Unless there's some sort of limit set on the amount of non english born players to be in the squad.

I just don't think it will be beneficial for the future. Unless there's some sort of limit set on the amount of non english born players to be in the squad.
What would be the point of a limit?

You either let them (which we do now, something you all seem to be ignoring) or have a blanket ban. And I see no problem with the former.

Just look at the Portugal squad.

Deco - Brazilian
Pepe - Brazilian
Rolando - Cape Verde
Danny - Venezuelan
Nani - Cape Verde
Liedson - Brazilian
Yannick Djalo - Guinea - Bissau

Thats just Portugal, Germany have many players who were born in Turkey/Poland etc. Didnt see them moan when they brushed England and Argentina aside in the WC did we lol.

What would be the point of a limit?

You either let them (which we do now, something you all seem to be ignoring) or have a blanket ban. And I see no problem with the former.

The point of the limit is that the focus would still remain on English players, and our countries development of players although using the odd player that could qualify for this rule could be used if they wanted to play for England, i.e. Arteta, Almunia, not that we would Almunia anywhere near the England team :$

Shaun Maloney is from Bangladesh but he plays for Scotland through his parents

Aiden McGeady plays for Ireland through his Grandparents he is Scottish
Malaysia, not Bangladesh.

And, to be honest, if he wants to play for England [Arteta case] or Italy [Motta case] who's really to say no? It's his choice, if it turns out he's made the wrong decision, then it's on his head.

The point of the limit is that the focus would still remain on English players, and our countries development of players although using the odd player that could qualify for this rule could be used if they wanted to play for England, i.e. Arteta, Almunia, not that we would Almunia anywhere near the England team :$
Yes, but by having a limit you're acknowledging that they're not actually English thus nullifying the entire point of national teams.

The current rules are fine, we just seem to take advantage of it less than most other teams.

The thing is, when a guy played (And thus lived) in a country for years, why can't he represent that country? If a player is born to immigrants in another country, why can't he represent the country of his ancestors? I do think however some countries are "buying" players for their national team (Qatar, Bahrain, mostly middle eastern countries). Also, some of the rules for dual nationalities in other countries are kind of lame and pretty much everyone can get a dual nationality. IIRC, Roberto Colautti, from Argentina, married a jewish woman and thus gained israli citizenship and was enabled to play for their NT.

Malaysia, not Bangladesh.

And, to be honest, if he wants to play for England [Arteta case] or Italy [Motta case] who's really to say no? It's his choice, if it turns out he's made the wrong decision, then it's on his head.

It's not about Motta playing for Italy, it was the fact that he had been capped by Brazil already, imagine Arteta was capped by Spain, then decided to switch nationalities and play for England, should that be allowed?

If you have only played in friendlies you can switch allegiances whenever you please. Plus Thiago Motta never played an official FIFA recognised game for Brazil.