Thiago Motta Capped for Italy

Half of Germany's squad is from Poland and that Cacao is from brazil

It's not about Motta playing for Italy, it was the fact that he had been capped by Brazil already, imagine Arteta was capped by Spain, then decided to switch nationalities and play for England, should that be allowed?
It was special dispensation, really.

He'd only played two friendlies for Brazil seven years ago. I'm sure future judgements will be done on a case-by-case basis.

Yes, but by having a limit you're acknowledging that they're not actually English thus nullifying the entire point of national teams.

The current rules are fine, we just seem to take advantage of it less than most other teams.

Ye i agree with that if other teams are doing it then i suppose we're being the mugs by just ignoring the possibilities of players. But for me National football should be between teams of countries with players from that country, otherwise it starts bordering on club football.

HOWEVER, slightly changed my mind, if Arteta is eligible for an English passport then i don't see why he can't play for England if he is a qualified English citizen. Although not sure if he is or not...

The point of the limit is that the focus would still remain on English players, and our countries development of players although using the odd player that could qualify for this rule could be used if they wanted to play for England, i.e. Arteta, Almunia, not that we would Almunia anywhere near the England team :$

Lol well it's not worked this far.. Maybe this is the change we need.

Well I don't mind having Perparim Hetemaj , Alexey Eremenko and Roman Eremenko in finnish national team. Quite opposite. We dont have anywhere near same prospects as England does so every player helps. And what prospects we have want to delude themself by thinking that they are good enought for Italy ( Yes Dalla Valle... )

We tried to get Medo play for us, but Fifa wouldnt let him cos he played for Sierra Leone U17 team.

So it's quite different. For small football countries like Finland every dual-nationality is a boost to team, but for countries like England you have quite lot good players so you should use these instead.

Just look at the Portugal squad.

Deco - Brazilian
Pepe - Brazilian
Rolando - Cape Verde
Danny - Venezuelan
Nani - Cape Verde
Liedson - Brazilian
Yannick Djalo - Guinea - Bissau

Thats just Portugal, Germany have many players who were born in Turkey/Poland etc. Didnt see them moan when they brushed England and Argentina aside in the WC did we lol.

Add Ronaldo to that squad.. He was born in Madeira.

It's not about Motta playing for Italy, it was the fact that he had been capped by Brazil already, imagine Arteta was capped by Spain, then decided to switch nationalities and play for England, should that be allowed?
It's happened before. Alfredo Di Stéfano played for Spain, Argentina and even Colombia.

It was special dispensation, really.

He'd only played two friendlies for Brazil seven years ago. I'm sure future judgements will be done on a case-by-case basis.

It's not this.... the rules are if your of dual nationality and you have not played in a competitive game for one of your nationalities then you have the choice to switch to the other one but once you make that choice you cannot turn back

---------- Post added at 02:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 AM ----------

Also Arteta could never play for England....

Article 18.1a stipulates that any player who wants to switch to the second of his dual nationalities must have held that second nationality at the time he represented his original country at junior or under-21 level.

Motta had Italian citizenship when he played for Brazil at youth level and played two non competitive games for them and with the new rules he had the choice to move to Italy but he cannot turn back now.

Last edited:
It's not this.... the rules are if your of dual nationality and you have not played in a competitive game for one of your nationalities then you have the choice to switch to the other one but once you make that choice you cannot turn back
Yeah, been looking it up and seen the rules are quite concrete, it's just that very few make the decision to switch.

If someone who is good enough, and qualifies, and wants to play for us, why should we not have them?

Considering how many players on England duty sing the national anthem, hardly any if you compare it to say, the rugby union team, I feel it is rather narrow minded to suggest that any player that came to play for England, from another country, would do so without their full commitment and effort. Also, to say that 'Grass Roots football' would be negatively effected by someone like Arteta playing for us is rather naive, and also if we actually ******* won something, would that not have a much greater affect on our 'grass roots', rather than failing as we are now?

Well the post about Portugal is quite unfair tbh, most of the Africans referred were actually raised in Portugal. Portugal receives lots of African (read as, mostly but not only, cba to think, from Cape Verde, Angola, Guinea) immigrants. You could talk about Bosingwa, from Congo. That is a bit weirder than the cases exposed.

It happens a lot, and personally, i'm all in favor of it, and if you are to take another National team as an example, look at France's.

Last edited:
i was just about to say that actually. the FA has different rules to the rest of the world so people like arteta and almunia can't play for england; tehy have to have been educated in the UK 5 years since they were 18 or something like that, and too right too. so it's not because england hasn't tried, it's because we're under obligation not too. and i thoroughly support that rule too.

I think this hoo ha about Almunia, Arteta and whoever else qualifies for British citizenship is a bit misguided. It's far too easy to qualify as a national in our country...We see it in all industries, not just football.

If you compare it to the cases of other countries and their political links, we are just unlucky when it comes to football. I mean we have a historical and rightly proud heritage with countries like India, Pakistan, many African countries and others. It's just that when it comes to football, they aren't exactly a hotbed of talent.

Theres no harm at all in Portugal harvesting youngsters who are genetically Brazillian, but brought up as Portuguese nationals. (Admittedly, Deco is a bit of an exception though...)

Shaun Maloney is from Bangladesh but he plays for Scotland through his parents.

Malaysia. :)

---------- Post added at 05:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 AM ----------

It's happened before. Alfredo Di Stéfano played for Spain, Argentina and even Colombia.

I think that was pretty common back then though. Ferenc Puskas played for Spain after he played for Hungary.

Motta has been allowed to do this because he hasn't played an official, FIFA-recognised game for Brazil. This is why all the rumours about James McCarthy coming back for Scotland started. He has only played for Ireland in friendlies, hence why he could have returned for Scotland.

I would love to see Giu Rossi in the Red White and Blue

Although I'm fairly certain he's already got a competitive cap for Italy.

i would rather england didnt win at football and have a n english squad, than win with a bunch of foriengers. there is enough mixed nationality clubs at domestic level, there is no reason to have mixed national internatonals, else it defeats the point.