To all Manchester United fans , why we dont refer to the club as ManU!!!!!!!!!!

Matt Kult

Reaction score
Hi , I don't post a lot but I read here often . I get really annoyed when people who are fans of Manchester United refer to the club as ManU . I don't think they know the origin of that term .

"ManU is not a term United fans refer to themselves as. The term is only used by other supporters as a complete and utter insult to our club. The "u" is meant to be "you" by the rival fans.

An early example of its usage is this chant by West Brom fans: "Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave, man you are manure- rotting in your grave". The origin of "ManU" is a song to insult the dead Duncan Edwards.

Liverpool and Leeds fans copied this with their own man you /u versions to insult all of the lads who died at munich.

"ManU ManU went on a plane ManU ManU never came back again"

and..

"Man U Never Intended Coming Home" (if you combine the first letter of each word you get the word "munich").

I hope this makes it clearer that saying ManU is an insult, particularly to the older supporters and to see United fans using it now is shameful. I hope a few might read this, understand and spread the word.

So... Please REFRAIN from using this term ever again!!!!!!!! "

This was originally posted by RED TIDE on Talking Reds .

So please don't use that term again . Thanks .

Think most of the United fans know know this already, from what I have seen on the forum it is mostly the other fans that have used it.

Personally I thought it was just shortening a long football name, from 'Manchester United', which in it self, is quite a mouthful, to 'Man U', either way, all this happened along time before most people on this forum were born, and I guess most people wouldn't have a clue about the origins of Man U.

Personally, I think it's a bit odd to get annoyed at your own fans using the term, considering most people just see it as an abbreviation of the club name, rather than an offensive term, that is only really considered 'offensive' to the older generation of United fans.

Last edited:
This is ridiculous. It may have originally been used like that, but 50 years on I think it's safe to say nobody gives a **** and I'm sure there aren't any opposition supporters sniggering every time a Man Utd supporter says it.

MU, ManU, Manu, Man Utd, Manchester United, Manchester Utd, Red Devils.... it never hurt anybody :D

how many people on this site actually remember and intentionally say ManU to **** off the United supporters (oh wait, am I allowed to say United??) answer: maybe 1 out of 100 000 (as no one on this site is ancient)

its an abbreviation like Dunc said to a large word which some people cant be bothered typing in full!

manu anit an insult and if so am sure many who have said it never meant it to insult the people who died in munich

to be its a little dated but i dony say it anyway from respect. it actually orginiates from west brom as an insult at the late great duncan edwards from the west brom fans who sang: Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave,Man you are manure-rotting in your grave

Liverpool and leeds copied their own versions from that

i agree, i hate the word "man u" but i don't understand who made you the lord of grammer. if someone wants to call us man u then they will.

I say Man United when talking to my friends about football in the pub or so and usually say Man U on this and my e-mail has Man-U in it, I'm a big fan of United and I don't think its a insult to the team I support at all, Just because some thugs from another team use it to insult us about a tragic event doesn't mean we should stop using it that means we let them win if we Man United fans let them say it and then if some fan from another team said Man U then it really would be a insult and start arguments, Bottom line call the team you support what you like it makes no difference !

Manu manu manu manu it doesn't offend anyone

Last edited by a moderator:
That's ridiculous. I don't have any great affection for Manchester United but I would never make comment on Munich as that is about people not just the team or club., yet i regularly use 'Man U'. Did you ever stop to think that given the term Man U or 'Man You' is used in the song that this probably already existed? As far as I'm aware the use of Man U as an abbreviation would far predate the death of Duncan Edwards. To suggest that using a common abbrevation is an affront to the victims of the munich air disaster is, frankly, scandalous.

the point is that it doesnt predate the death of edward so it isnt particularly scandalous.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

but the whole idea is a little dated to be getting into a rage about

That's bollocks. Of course they did. West Brom fans didn't invent abreviations. Don't you have a chant that goes 'We're the barmy, Man U army'? If I'm honest, I had no idea of the connotations that come with it so I probably won't use it again. Whether I think it's founded or not, I don't want to cause offence to anyone.

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

In saying that though, I don't know enough about Man Utd (see what I did there? (H)) to be discussing it in a thread full of their fans. All I know is that I've never used it with intent to offend people and folk who do should be catapulted to the moon or something. Can't be going folk who use football as an excuse to cause fights.

That's bollocks. Of course they did. West Brom fans didn't invent abreviations. Don't you have a chant that goes 'We're the barmy, Man U army'? If I'm honest, I had no idea of the connotations that come with it so I probably won't use it again. Whether I think it's founded or not, I don't want to cause offence to anyone.

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

In saying that though, I don't know enough about Man Utd (see what I did there? (H)) to be discussing it in a thread full of their fans. All I know is that I've never used it with intent to offend people and folk who do should be catapulted to the moon or something. Can't be going folk who use football as an excuse to cause fights.
i didnt say they invented all abbreviations, but im fairly they did with that one. but i agree, the vast majority people dont mean offence by it, mainly because they have no idea where its from (why would they?). i dont use it because of its history but i dont get offened by those who do.

Well everyone of course is entitled to their own views on this . But I for one do not like the use of that term and I do not like other United supporters using it to describe the club .

The term ManU should not be used as an abbreviation for the club . I as well as other United supporters do feel strongly on this topic . The confusion about this is mainly caused by some sections of the media . On some channels you may see MANU as the abbreviation on the scoreboard . Some ill-informed anchors also at times use this term . This has caused confusion amongst some , especially some of our younger fans .

The term was used as an insult to the club . It may have been decades ago but it is still an insult and a most disgraceful one at that . And now for our fans to start referring to the club as MANU is not right in my opinion . It would almost be like insulting yourself if you are a fan of the club . There are other abbreviations for the club but ManU will never be an abbreviation , its an insult .