To all Manchester United fans , why we dont refer to the club as ManU!!!!!!!!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter Matt Kult
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 46
  • Views Views 5K
I really worry for you mate if you take offence to 'Man U'. Nobody does it to insult, its simply an abbreviation. I think your getting a tad worked up over nothing.

these chants are very old and i don't think many people who call them Man Utd these days know the reason why its an insult.

Always thought 'Man U' was an abbreviated term of 'Man United' but I suppose most the Man United fans down south don't know much about it being offensive. Probably depends on what generation you're from and when you started supporting them.

I don't really care about it tbh.

It's just a nickname. It's not like we should take much interest in it anyway.

haha kinda funny rant, but to be honest no other "united" teams are addressed as "u" but i highly doubt this will stop people calling them Man U, and within a few days it will be forgotten, but what ever floats your boat

Personally I thought it was just shortening a long football name, from 'Manchester United', which in it self, is quite a mouthful, to 'Man U', either way, all this happened along time before most people on this forum were born, and I guess most people wouldn't have a clue about the origins of Man U.

Personally, I think it's a bit odd to get annoyed at your own fans using the term, considering most people just see it as an abbreviation of the club name, rather than an offencive term, that is only really considered 'offencive' to the older generation of United fans.

You'll make a good mod one day Dunc, you must learn to spell 'offensive' first though. :)

Is the constant referring to United as 'United' then an insult to all other United clubs??

Its not really that important is it. At the end of the day...... its night ;)

I don't see why there is anything wrong about saying ManU. Manchester United is 6 syllables, whereas Manu is 2. Simple abbreviations.

So what are we meant to say cos im not typing out "Manchester United" every time I mention them

Far rather say Man U than United. There are thousands of 'United's. (I'd imagine)

I have supported this team since the 70's. I will call them whatever I want.

See, i am a bit different from most, even though i wasnt born when this stuff really was offensive, i have family who still get annoyed at the term "ManU" As i have been taught to respect the past, i try to refrain from using it.

oh if you type man u on fm manchester united comes up, kinda funny

oh if you type man u on fm manchester united comes up, kinda funny

So the whole FM world is being offensive towards Man Utd?! Oh dear, Matt is going to explodeeeee

So the whole FM world is being offensive towards Man Utd?! Oh dear, Matt is going to explodeeeee

Come on Alex, while it is outdated, you can surely see how it offends some people, Stop being a **** over it.

I still Love you.

Come on Alex, while it is outdated, you can surely see how it offends some people, Stop being a **** over it.

I still Love you.

I genuinely can't see how it can be classed as offensive unless you do go directly back to the disaster, ie relatives being affected etc... I don't see a problem with it, at the end of the day, for me its an abbreviation as Manchester United is a mouthful, admittedly I always say Man Utd but not Man U. Either way, whatever floats your boat :)

Still love you too.

People really care about this oO)

Grow up, I say.

*edit*

Called them all sorts in the past, including Man U and Manure (with no reference to the chant quoted above, which I have never heard).

Back