Top 5 SPL Best and Worst signings of 2010/11

pistolped7

Reaction score
Well, as the title run-in begins, it's going to be vital for SPL sides to recognise their best 11. And some will contain great signings, some complete flops. Pick your top 5 signings and duds of the year, whether at your club or someone elses.

Here's my lists:

Top 5 Best signings:

1. Gary Hooper - £2m - Scunthorpe > Celtic
2. Emilio Izaguirre - £600k - Motagua > Celtic
3. Beram Kayal - £1.2m - Maccabi Haifa > Celtic
4. Alexei Eremenko - loan - Metalist Kharkiv > Killie
5. Rudi Skacel - free - Larissa > Hearts / Nikica Jelavic - £4m - Rapid Vienna > Rangers

Top 5 duds:

1. James Beattie - undisc. - Stoke > Rangers
2. Daryl Murphy - undisc. - Sunderland > Celtic
3. Andrius Velicka - Loan - Rangers > Aberdeen
4. Efrain Juarez (to an extent) - £1.5m - PUMAS Unam > Celtic
5. El-Hadji Diouf (to an extent) - loan - Blackburn > Rangers

Now post yours:

Top 5 best signings:

Top 5 duds:

Last edited:
In no particular order :

Best: Kayal, Jelavic, Hooper, Weiss, Skacel. Honourable mentions to Eremenko, and Nick Blackman.

Worst : Beattie, Daryl Murphy, Velicka, Cha-Du-Ri, and Freddie Ljungberg.

Also, can I just say, disagree with inclusions of Diouf and Juarez in your list. Juarez looked fepic at World Cup, and hasn't been given a chance by lennon. Diouf would be good, and has had the occasional good game, if we played a slowed down paassing style, instead of a kick and rush counter attacking game :)

Best: Weiss, Hooper, Skacel, Jelavic, Izagurrie/Eremenko, also think Bartley/Commons have been excellent but not been about long enough.
Duds: Beattie, Ljungberg, Murphy, Kapo, Velicka

Also, can I just say, disagree with inclusions of Diouf and Juarez in your list. Juarez looked fepic at World Cup, and hasn't been given a chance by lennon. Diouf would be good, and has had the occasional good game, if we played a slowed down paassing style, instead of a kick and rush counter attacking game :)
I did write to a certain extent because they have shown glimpses of brilliance, but for the most part have fallen well short of their best.
In no particular order :

Best: Kayal, Jelavic, Hooper, Weiss, Skacel. Honourable mentions to Eremenko, and Nick Blackman.

Worst : Beattie, Daryl Murphy, Velicka, Cha-Du-Ri, and Freddie Ljungberg.

I agree with most, except Cha and Ljungberg. Cha did very, very well, abr the Rangers game, before he suffered an injury at around Crimbo. Ljungberg's move was much trumpeted, but I don't think he was ever bought to be a first-team player. He's a squad player, lending his massive experience to the youngster's and he is only paid for every game he plays.

Best: Weiss, Hooper, Skacel, Jelavic, Izagurrie/Eremenko, also think Bartley/Commons have been excellent but not been about long enough.
Duds: Beattie, Ljungberg, Murphy, Kapo, Velicka
Agree, except Kapo didn't really get a chance before he stormed out, so maybe he was a flop. Agree with Commons and Bartley, they've both been superb.

Best
1. Izaguirre
2. Kayal
3. Eremenko
4. Jelavic
5. Stokes

Worst
1. Daryl Murphy
2. Beattie
3. Healy
4. Velicka
5. Juarez (Only because not been playing and cost)

Would have included Mulgrew in the worst but he's started to look good in the centre of defence.

Top 5 best signings:

1. Kayal <3
2. Izzy
3. Weiss
4. Skacel
5. Jelavic

Top 5 duds:

1. Beattie
2. Diouf
3. Healy
4. Murphy
5. Cha

Best
1. Izaguirre
2. Kayal
3. Eremenko
4. Jelavic
5. Stokes

Worst
1. Daryl Murphy
2. Beattie
3. Healy
4. Velicka
5. Juarez (Only because not been playing and cost)

Would have included Mulgrew in the worst but he's started to look good in the centre of defence.

I was thinking of putting Healy, but put Diouf instead. Mulgrew did okay at LB before Izzaguirre came, and on the left-wing at the new year game. He's been good, I like him for us this year.

I was thinking of putting Healy, but put Diouf instead. Mulgrew did okay at LB before Izzaguirre came, and on the left-wing at the new year game. He's been good, I like him for us this year.

Really not a fan of Mulgrew but he's done us well when we needed him to fill in at CB. Not got the pace for LB.

Top 5 best signings:
1. Emilo Izaguirre
2. Garry Hooper
3. Beram Keyal (sp)
4. Erimenko
5. Nika Jelavic

Top 5 duds:

1. James Beattie
2. Daryl Murphy
3. Andreas Velika
4. Cha Du Ri
5. David Healy

Top 5 best signings:
1. Darren Randolph
2. Erimenko
3. Emilo Izaguirre
4.Garry Hooper
5. Nika Jelavic

Top 5 duds:

1. James Beattie
2. Daryl Murphy
3. Andreas Velika
4. Cha Du Ri
5. David Healy

Best
- Nika Jelavic
- Gary Hooper
- Rudi Skacel
- Kris Commons
- Ricky Foster

Worst
- Daryl Murphy
- David Healy
- Andrius Velicka
- James Beattie
- Freddy Ljungberg - only because he's not had much game time.

Ljungberg's bad, simply because we're paying him that much.

Last edited:
Darren McGregor has to be up there, Saints got him on a free from Cowdenbeath and he's our player of the year comfortably (scoring a few goals from CB too)