Top 5 SPL Best and Worst signings of 2010/11

Boruc wasn't a good sale either was Thomson.

Webster was not a bad sale he was a ***** and we where paying wage for 1 game a year.

i think every1 got a bit off toic there lol! the subject is "best signings" not best performers. if i was to say the best and worst signings it would be.

1 - kayal
2 - izzaguire -these have to be the top 2 with absalutely no arguments, because they where both purchased for less than £1.2m and if celtic were to sell them both they are looking at at least £10m profit!
3 - hooper - simple enough to say....andy carroll £35m newcastle's top scorer and they won championship with most goals scored, hooper was £2m scoring more than carroll in the 20 mark and scunthorpe finished 20th, no brainer!
4 - barry douglas - versatile young left sided player on free transfer to dundee utd, guy is absalute class and will be in premiership within the next 2 years sold for a respectable ammount
5 - jelavic is the only other decent signing i can think of because considering our financial situation it was seen as an opportunity we couldn't pass up, guys a good finisher, smart on the ball, jst imagine opposite of that donkey samaras haha!

im not saying randolph is a bad player he just plays terrible against rangers and you cant deny that

Not a player signing, but I'd say one of the best signings was signing Mixu Paatelainen as Killie manager.

Now that the season is basically over...

Top 5 best signings:

1. Eremenko
2. Commons
3. Mrowiec
4. Enckleman
5. Randolph

Top 5 duds:

1. Franny Jeffers
2. Jennison Myrie-Williams
3. Darren Barr
4. Gareth Wardlaw
5. Alan Gow

Top 5 best signings:

1. Commons / Andy Webster (I am unbiased)
2. Izaguirre (SP)
3. Jelavic / Hooper / Kayal (Couldn't decide)
4. Skacel
5. Eremenko

Top 5 duds:

1. James Beattie
2. Juarez - Personally, I think he's a dud, he's achieved nothing at Celtic apart from bench warming abilites.
3. Francis Jeffers
4. Cha Du Ri
5. Stephen Elliott

Now that the season is basically over...

3. Mrowiec

Top 5 duds:

3. Darren Barr

:| Mrowiec ? seriously? The guy is a mediocre squad player, if that. Darren Barr is harsh too, the lad has been injured all year.

Top 5 best signings:

1. Commons / Andy Webster (I am unbiased)
4. Skacel

Top 5 duds:

5. Stephen Elliott

Webster hasn't exactly been spectacular since his return, Skacel is ace and getting 12+ goals from midfield deserves credit. Elliot is harsh, he is frustrating but has scored a fair amount of goals for us, about 10? which is decent for his first season. He got played in the central striker role and found it harder, he should be out left/right.

This will look biased but it is honestly how I feel.

1. Commons
2. Kayal
3. Hooper
4. Jelavic
5. Izzy

Top 5 duds:

1. Kapo
2. Beattie
3. Jaurez same reason as Toddzy but he does have more than enough ability imo.
4. Ljungberg
5. Diouf/ Healy

Last edited:
Webster hasn't exactly been spectacular since his return, Skacel is ace and getting 12+ goals from midfield deserves credit. Elliot is harsh, he is frustrating but has scored a fair amount of goals for us, about 10? which is decent for his first season. He got played in the central striker role and found it harder, he should be out left/right.

I say Webster because we needed a leader at the back and earned one in Webster, for free. Yeh, he isn't the greatest of signings, but in the long run for Hearts, I think it's a wise move from JJ.

Personally, I haven't rated Elliott. Yes he's scored 10 goals (I'll go with your figure mate, it appears accurate), but what else does he offer? He'll run around a while but become frustrated himself with no supply and 'hoff ball' tactics. That's why IMO, we work better with Kyle, someone you can actually aim for with Hearts' ridiculas tactics.

I say Webster because we needed a leader at the back and earned one in Webster, for free. Yeh, he isn't the greatest of signings, but in the long run for Hearts, I think it's a wise move from JJ.

Personally, I haven't rated Elliott. Yes he's scored 10 goals (I'll go with your figure mate, it appears accurate), but what else does he offer? He'll run around a while but become frustrated himself with no supply and 'hoff ball' tactics. That's why IMO, we work better with Kyle, someone you can actually aim for with Hearts' ridiculas tactics.

We essentially play a 4-3-3 with the wide forwards dropping back and making it a 4-5-1 when on the back foot. Elliot was always on the left and Templeton on the right. Play it high for Kyle to either knock it on or hold it up & it really worked well for us. The problem was, we had no plan B when he got injured. Bit upsetting actually because it ruined our season.

Best Buys 1) Biram Kayal
2) Emilio Izaguirre
3) Gary Hooper
4) Nickca Jelavic
5) Alexy Eremenko

Chris Commons (celtic) was also outstanding for 300K 11 goals in 14 games
Nick Blackman and Wiess were also good signings.
Darren Randolph for motherwell was outstanding this year.

Worst Buys. 1) Efrain Juarez (large fee and little game time)
2) Freddie Ljungberg (waste of wages)
3) El Haj Diouf
4) James Beattie
5) Alan Gow

Best Buys
1) Emilio Izaguirre ( Celtic )
2) Biram Kayal ( Celtic )
3) Gary Hooper ( Celtic )
4)Nickica Jelavic ( Rangers )
5) David Templeton ( Hearts ) / Kris Commons ( Celtic ) / Michael Higdon ( St. Mirren )

Worst Signings
1) Freddie Ljunberg ( Celtic )
2) James Beattie ( Rangers )
3) El Hadj Diouf ( Rangers ) - Loan
4) Olivier Kapo ( Celtic )
5) Valdas Trakys ( Hibernian )

best : hooper commons emilio kayal jelavic

duds : hoovield velicka sebo beatie rasmussen

best : hooper commons emilio kayal jelavic

duds : hoovield velicka sebo beatie rasmussen

Both Hooveild and Rass where signed in January 2010 so arent eligible to be duds of the 10/11 season.

Top 5 best signings:

1. Nikica Jelavić - £4 million - Rangers
2. Kris Commons - £300,000 - Celtic
3. Joe Ledley - Free - Celtic
4. Vladimír Weiss - Loan - Rangers
5. Gary Hooper - £2.4 million - Celtic

Top 5 duds:

1. Freddie Ljungberg - Free - Celtic
2. James Beattie - Undisclosed - Rangers
3. Daryl Murphy - Undisclosed - Celtic
4. Damián Casalinuovo - Undisclosed - Hamilton Academical
5. David Healy - Free - Rangers

Seriously-..Apart from one signing, there all old firm :\

Best Signings

1 - Alexei Eremenko - Killie (Different class for the SPL)
2 - Kris Commons - Celtic (Steal for his price, Probs would of won Celtic the league if he was there all season)
3 - Emilio Izzagguire - Celtic (Player of the year, says it all)
4 - Kevin Kyle - Hearts (Dominating in the air, good captain - One of many reasons why Hearts came 3rd)
5 - Nikica Jelavic - Rangers (Injury put him out for a bit, Showed his class near the end of the season - One to watch out for next year)

Worst Signings

1 - James Beattie - Rangers (Simply Awful - Left without a goal)
2 - El Hadji Diouf - Rangers (Total **** of a player, done nothing to impress me. Only seems popular because he winds up Celtic fans)
3 - Alan Gow - Motherwell (Just didnt do what he did at Falkirk, shocking signing for various reasons)
4 - Freddie Ljunberg - Celtic (Past his prime, far over paid)
5 - Kieran Agard - Killie (Seriously bad for a player from Everton)

Seriously-..Apart from one signing, there all old firm :\

Best Signings

1 - Alexei Eremenko - Killie (Different class for the SPL)
2 - Kris Commons - Celtic (Steal for his price, Probs would of won Celtic the league if he was there all season)
3 - Emilio Izzagguire - Celtic (Player of the year, says it all)
4 - Kevin Kyle - Hearts (Dominating in the air, good captain - One of many reasons why Hearts came 3rd)
5 - Nikica Jelavic - Rangers (Injury put him out for a bit, Showed his class near the end of the season - One to watch out for next year)

Worst Signings

1 - James Beattie - Rangers (Simply Awful - Left without a goal)
2 - El Hadji Diouf - Rangers (Total **** of a player, done nothing to impress me. Only seems popular because he winds up Celtic fans)
3 - Alan Gow - Motherwell (Just didnt do what he did at Falkirk, shocking signing for various reasons)
4 - Freddie Ljunberg - Celtic (Past his prime, far over paid)
5 - Kieran Agard - Killie (Seriously bad for a player from Everton)

Kevin Kyle !! Honestly He only played half the season and was pretty rubbish IMO. And for Kieran Agard you cant really say he was one of the worst signings when he was signed in January 2011 on loan and was rarely given the chance to play.

Kevin Kyle !! Honestly He only played half the season and was pretty rubbish IMO. And for Kieran Agard you cant really say he was one of the worst signings when he was signed in January 2011 on loan and was rarely given the chance to play.

Most Hearts Fans will tell you he was one of the main reason for there success.
Dominated balls in the air, and set-up alot with his headed balls through + cost nothing!!

Kieran Agard was given many opportunites, trust me I should know -.-