Trying to Forget About Fergie - Klippybo's Aberdeen Story

Klippybo

Premium
Reaction score
images

INTRO

Hello - for those of you that were'nt following my Castel di Sangro story I basically took a village side to become the best team in Europe and the core of the side won the World Cup in 2022 with Italy - I had planned on that save going until FM13 came out but I got success too quickly and now I am on a weeks holidays I can plough through a season or two a day and couldnt see myself doing another 10-15 years with CDS so a quickfire story with Aberdeen is what is on the cards here!

Why Aberdeen? Well I live 30min away and they are my favourite Scottish club (Newcastle are my favourite overall) and I have had a season ticket twice before - both relegation seasons!!! I just fancy trying to raise the standard of the Scottish leagues in the game. In a way it will be harder to win the Champions Leeague with Aberdeen than CDS because the Italian league attracts better players and you get more financial rewards every year.

Finally, as with my previous long term saves with CDS and Athletic Bilbao (Aitor Herrera - I miss you! lol) I will be country hopping with international management but my long term goal will be to manage Scotland - something I havent done in FM12 yet.

---------------------------------------------

THE DATABASE
I downloaded LFCMarshalls latest one but spent the last day or so bringing ALL the Scottish leagues up to date from Celtic to East Stirling. I created Feruz of Chelsea and made a few little adjustments. Regarding Aberdeen I added Jocky Scott and raised Ryan Fraser and Cameron Smith a little - not to -9 PA or anything stupid like that. Thought about adding the possible new stadium but thought it would be good to see if I could get one in the game.

I have loaded the Scottish league as the only playable one but the top division in the following countries as view only - Belgium, England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Portugal and Spain.

--------------------------------

THE AIM

Topple a certain Alex Ferguson in the Scottish hall of fame and do what he couldnt do with Aberdeen - win the European Cup!

-------------------------------------

THE MANAGER AND HIS POLICIES

Automatic reputation with Newcastle as my favourite club
Pay every transfer up front - none with monthly installments
Emphasis on youth as always!!!!!!!!!

----------------------------------------------

THE TACTIC

As ever I will be using my 4-2-3-1 tactic that has served me so well. I will post the screenie of it here so peeps can come and look at it (you have no idea how often I get asked about this tactic lol)
View attachment 278885
I change the player roles and mentalities to suit the player so ignore them on that screen - the thing that stays the same is the formation and team instructions!

SO THERE YOU HAVE IT................
Hope you will follow - I will try and keep you posted with what is going on in the game from Rangers battle back to the top to award winners etc and might even add a bit about the national team.

MY PREVIOUS STORIES

CASTEL DI SANGRO
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...l-fm12-save-2nd-miracle-castel-di-sangro.html
I take a village team to the top of the world - includes me managing Austria, Poland, Belgium and Italy - 2011-2022

ATHLETIC BILBAO
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2012-stories/95968-basque-ing-bilbao.html
I manage Bilbao and conquer the world with my all Basque team - has the best regen ever in Aitor Herrera - who sky sports news thought was real) and my side has all sorts of unbeaten records. 2011-2032 (I think) - I manage Spain and I cant remember if I managed any other country it was that long ago!

NEWCASTLE UNITED
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...le-story-1-club-many-countries-hopefully.html
I manage my beloved Newcastle but this was too easy - notable for the amazing regen that was Edwin Mulugeta. 2011-2020 I think.

Last edited:
will be keeping a eye on this good luck dont think you will need it

Very good. CDS would have been better if you hadnt walked through it so easily but what can you do?

I Do a Aberdeen game every year and have one as a story on here from 2009http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2010-fm-stories/28783-aberdeen-%3D-scotlands-new-force-16-team-spl.html

4 leauges, 1 Uefa cup and maybe some cups in 7 season

Didnt do a story in FM2011 but the leauge was easy won it every time from the 3rd season. Got to a CL Semi final in 2014 but stopped the season after.

Have not done one this year sadly as Scotland gets harder every year so when i do one in FM13 it will be harder

Good luck and i'll be following! Just dont do too well and intimidate me out of doing one next year lol

images

THE CLUB

Founded:
Nickname: The Dons
Fierce Rivals: Rangers
Other Rivals: Celtic, Dundee United and Hearts

THE STADIUM
images

Pittodrie Stadium
Capacity: 21,421

HONOURS
images

Scottish Premier League (4 times) - 1954/55, 1979/80, 1983/84, 1984/85
Scottish Cup (7 times) - 1947, 1970, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1986, 1990
Scottish League Cup (5 times) - 1955/56, 1976/77, 1985/86, 1989/90, 1995/96
European Cup Winners Cup (once) - 1983
European Super Cup (once) - 1983

*Years in red are trophies won by Sir Alex*

CLUB LEGENDS (according to FM12)
Legends: Sir Alex Ferguson, Willie Miller, Jim Leighton, Alex McLeish
Icons: Eoin Jess, Russell Anderson, Gordon Strachan, Brian Irvine

(I could add so many names from Joe Harper to Zoltan Varga, Duncan Shearer to Hicham Zerouali)

Did you know?
Aberdeen (along with Celtic) have never been relegated from the top division.
One former Aberdeen manager invented the dugout.
In 1978 Pittodrie became the first all covered all seated stadium in Britain
Former manager Ebbe Skovdahl is the uncle of Michael and Brian Laudrup

Very good. CDS would have been better if you hadnt walked through it so easily but what can you do?

I Do a Aberdeen game every year and have one as a story on here from 2009http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2010-fm-stories/28783-aberdeen-%3D-scotlands-new-force-16-team-spl.html

4 leauges, 1 Uefa cup and maybe some cups in 7 season

Didnt do a story in FM2011 but the leauge was easy won it every time from the 3rd season. Got to a CL Semi final in 2014 but stopped the season after.

Have not done one this year sadly as Scotland gets harder every year so when i do one in FM13 it will be harder

Good luck and i'll be following! Just dont do too well and intimidate me out of doing one next year lol

One of the main reasons was to let you have free reign of AFC when FM13 comes out - I will stop this when I get my FM13 disc

Good luck mate, sure your'll smash it as always!!

So wait if you have had season tickets during relegation seasons, how have they never gotten relegated????? Haha good luck man I will be following as always.

So wait if you have had season tickets during relegation seasons, how have they never gotten relegated????? Haha good luck man I will be following as always.

Lol - what I meant was relegation battle seasons - first in the mid 90's where Aberdeen won a relegation play-off to stay up and the second at the turn of the century where they finished bottom but stayed up due to Falkirks ground not being suitable for the top division - we did get to 2 cup finals that year though - and lost them both!

images

PRE SEASON & JULY

Firstly I will delve into the club as I found it................

PLAYING SQUAD
A mix of youth and experience with several young promising players like Robertson, Fraser, Jack and Smith and some old heads and former Scotland internationals in Naysmith, Anderson and Rae. One thing that was perfectly clear was that there was no AMC which I need for my formation so I quickly made Jonny Hayes train up to play there.

Here are the 4 young players mentioned above
View attachment 278944View attachment 278945View attachment 278946View attachment 278947Our media prediction is 2nd and that is what I expect to be honest if we keep injury free

BACKROOM STAFF

I decided to keep veteran Archie Knox as my assistant but did get rid of two former Aberdeen players from Fergie's glory days in John McMaster and Peter Weir as they were not good enough. I brought in Ally Maxwell to help club legend Jim Leighton train the keepers and Ricky Sbragia came in as coach. Jimmy Hendry came in as fitness coach also. I then employed 5 new scouts.

AFFILIATED CLUBS

Firstly I asked for a parent club and got Manchester City (rejected Arsenal and Chelsea) and then the board allowed me to ask for another one!!!! I also set up a link with 3rd division side Peterhead so I could loan out some players.

PLAYERS IN

I tried and failed to get Craig Gordon but I did pull off a major coup in bringing in James McFadden on a free transfer. He will be my key player this season methinks if I can keep him fit! Manchester City loaned me Denis Suarez which was a boost as I needed an AMC and I also brought in a 16y/o from Celtic on a free called Jamie Lindsay. There is a small amount of money to spend but on who? Think I will keep my cash for January and then go crazy and blow all the £100,000 at once lol.
View attachment 278948View attachment 278950View attachment 278949

PLAYERS OUT

Nobody wanted Scott Vernon or Josh Magennis so the only departures were loan ones. Rory Fallon went to St.Mirren for £18k while Nicky Low and Joseph Shaughnessy went to Peterhead.

-----------------------------------------

ON THE PITCH

After the first 2 games I thought I should come forward and reveal what I edited Smith and Fraser to (as mentioned earlier). Both have CA of 85 and PA of -7 so they wont be wonderkids or anything like that - the first 2 games may be a flash in the pan!

Inverness Caledonian Thistle 2-4 Aberdeen
Smith 3(1pen), Reynolds

Super Smith!!!!!! We went behind on 50 sec but then won a penalty a few minutes later. Smith had one disallowed and then McGinn went off injured on 52min so I brought on Ryan Fraser and he promptly set up two goals for Smith to get his hat-trick. Caley got it back to 2-3 but we got a late goal to seal the points. In playing this game Smith broke the records for youngest player and scorer.

Aberdeen 6-0 Motherwell
Smith 2(1pen), McGinn 2, Suarez, Considine

Unbelievable!!!! We were 4 up at half-time and in the 2nd half Hayes got injured so I chucked on Fraser and he set up 2 again and had a goal disallowed. Denis Suarez also impressed as he got 2 assists also.

View attachment 278951
----------------------------------------

AROUND THE COUNTRY

Rangers signed Gary Wales
Hearts and Motherwell are in the process of board takeovers
Celtic sell McCourt, Izaguirre and Kayal but buy Rhys Williams
Cammy Bell leaves Kilmarnock for Bristol City

images

AUGUST

Well what can I say? A great month with every game won however we have played all the teams near the bottom and have had a load of luck in games also. Having said that we are only 3rd in the table! Celtic as you may expect are winning every game too but check out Dundee - SCARY BISCUITS!!!!!!!

Off the field we got our 2nd parent club in Chelsea (rejected Spurs and Liverpool) but they never loaned me anyone. How I have 2 parent sides - both with first choice on all my players I dont know. We failed to bring anyone else into the club as Anchabar of Feyenoord rejected a loan move to us.

-------------------------------

St. Johnstone 0-1 Aberdeen
Smith

We just got the 3pts here as Mark Reynolds got sent-off and we got put under pressure.

---------------------------------

Aberdeen 2-0 Ross County
Fraser 2

The good run continues and all without McFadden! This was a fan day and the board were happy with it.

--------------------------------

Scottish Communities League Cup 2nd Round

Aberdeen 4-0 Stirling Albion
Vernon 3, Fraser

Played a backup side here although I did give McFadden his debut after his return from injury and he got 2 assists. The 3rd division side never really stood a chance. Vernon got a hat-trick but Russell Anderson went off injured.

------------------------------------

Aberdeen 4-0 Hibernian
Considine, Robertson, Fraser, Smith

Another great win with plenty of goals but our luck will change - it has to! We were 4 up at half-time having taken 4 shots on goal.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
RYAN FRASER

images

4 goals and 3 assists yet he never got the official award!!

View attachment 278978

------------------------------------------

AROUND SCOTLAND

Scotland lose friendly 1-0 to Denmark
Kilmarnock knock Rangers out of League Cup
Celtic buy Fausto Pinto and Ahmed Fathi
St. Mirren are next up for a board takeover

images

SEPTEMBER

A good month all round as we remain unbeaten and got a great result at Parkhead against Celtic however the St. Mirren game sticks in the throat a bit. We progressed in the league cup but have drawn Celtic away in the quarter finals unfortunately.

Dundee are still going strong with only a defeat to Celtic a blotting their copybook however its the Dandy Dons who are top of the league!

----------------------------

Celtic 0-0 Aberdeen

The result ws great but losing Ryan Jack through injury for 2-3 months is a huge blow. Russell Anderson or Isaac Osbourne will probably have to cover. 6 clean sheets in a row now.

-------------------------------

Dundee United 1-2 Aberdeen
McFadden 2(1pen)

A narrow win in my first New Firm derby although lady luck was on our side as they had a goal chalked off that would have put them 2-1 ahead. Utd are struggling near the bottom and have signed Robbie Fowler as well as loaning Liam Cooper who rejected us to sign for them.

----------------------------------

Aberdeen 0-0 St. Mirren

Lady luck deserted us here - dominated, taking over a dozen shots and they had one! Was without a couple of players but we should have won this easily. Ggggrrrrrrr.

---------------------------------

Scottish Communities League Cup 3rd Round

Inverness Caledonian Thistle 1-4 Aberdeen
Smith 3, Suarez

Cammy Smith loves playing against Caley as he gets his 2nd hat-trick against them already this season. Russell Anderson got injured and is out for a month though.

----------------------------------

Aberdeen 4-0 Kilmarnock
Fraser, Considine, Smith, Suarez

Great result - making up for the St.Mirren game. James McFadden was inspirational as he assisted the first 3 goals.

---------------------------------------

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
JAMES McFADDEN

images

2 goals and 4 assists during the month

View attachment 279014

----------------------------------------

AROUND SCOTLAND

Dundee striker John Baird has scored 13 in 11 games
Scotland beat Czech. Republic 4-1 and Lithuania 3-0
Hearts beat Celtic 2-1 at Parkhead
Dunfermline, East Fife and Rangers lead the other leagues

Last edited:
Doing extremely well and you forgot to put in the scoreline for the Aberdeen-Kilmarnock match.

images

OCTOBER

Another decent month although we did drop points in the first 2 games of the month and got knocked out of the league cup. Cameron Smith has been outstanding despite not having great stats but my 3 attacking midfielders are a cut above for this league and continually create chances for the kid.

Keep getting injuries to defenders and agreed to bring in Polish international Boenisch but I didnt notice that he was out injured for 5 months.

Finally while randomly checking my club overview screen I noticed that James McFadden and Jamie Langfield are favoured personnel with the club!

-----------------------------------

Dundee 2-2 Aberdeen
Smith, McFadden

An entertaining game in which we took the lead before falling behind however we managed to equalise before half time and thats how it stayed. We also managed to stop Baird scoring against us.

Aberdeen 1-1 Heart of Midlothian
Smith

Disappointing as we absolutely battered them and finally took the lead with 20min left but we got pegged back much to my annoyance.

Aberdeen 3-0 Inverness Caledonian Thistle
Rae, Smith 2

Thats 8 goals in 3 games for Smith against Caley.

Scottish Communities League Cup QF

Celtic 2-1 Aberdeen
McFadden

Close scoreline but it wasnt on the pitch as we got completely outplayed and only a man of the match performance from keeper Langfield kept it close. That said they got the winner in the 87th minute.

Motherwell 0-4 Aberdeen
Considine, Vernon, Suarez, McManus

Cameron Smith needed a rest for this game unfortunately. McFadden had a goal chalked off before we got the first while 17y/o striker McManus came off the bench to score late on.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
CAMERON SMITH
images

View attachment 279018

------------------------------------

AROUND THE COUNTRY

St. Johnstone concede 5 goals - in 3 games in a row!
Scotland draw with Liechtenstein and lose to Spain
Still no takeovers completed

Good performances and unlucky with the injuries but Poland international makes me think that Boenisch is Celtic quality.