Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake

watching it on channel 4, flicked over quickly with the aim of goin back to the footy, but the pictures... unbelievable amounts of carnage.

Know what you mean. I'm just not in the mood for any footie right now. I just can't enjoy things right now knowing thats going on over there.

It makes one think aswell. When the next major quake hits San Francisco, will they be able to cope as well as the Japanese have done so far? Yes there's been a lot of devestation, but when you look at how calm and orderly they remained DURING the quake, it really was amazing. Don't think Californians will cope as well. Have a suspucion they're still not prepared for such an event
if a big quake like this hits LA/San Diego area chances are my house goes down hill

if a big quake like this hits LA/San Diego area chances are my house goes down hill

Thats one thing I don't understand. Why people would live in such a dangerously high risk area. Not just talking about California. But so close to volcanoes, slap bang on fault lines. I'm not referring to people individually, but why people would chose to pick an area like that to expand a city, for businesses etc. The home insurance would be so high aswell I guess, as well as insurance for businesses etc.

Thats one thing I don't understand. Why people would live in such a dangerously high risk area. Not just talking about California. But so close to volcanoes, slap bang on fault lines. I'm not referring to people individually, but why people would chose to pick an area like that to expand a city, for businesses etc. The home insurance would be so high aswell I guess, as well as insurance for businesses etc.

The housing will be considerably cheaper and they may have family/friends there so that is another factor why they may not want to leave the area. Also they might like thrills :)

The housing will be considerably cheaper and they may have family/friends there so that is another factor why they may not want to leave the area. Also they might like thrills :)

ah. Never stood housing prices/insurance things. Thats why I let my better half do finances lol.
I mean, I understand that if there's families and friends there, they would want to be near, but the base construction of some cities/towns is a bit mad. In my opinion anyway. You're right about the thrills. There's loads of people who like to risk their lives for stuff from volcanoes, earthquakes to tornadoes.

For teh view|)

We only knew what caused earthquakes maybe 70 years ago. Plate tectonics is a farly new theory. Before that, we didnt really know what caused em, and when settlements were formed, they were considered random acts of god.
And volcanic eruptions also produce very fertile soil. So for farming it makes perfect sense. a big volcanic eruption will happen every few hundred years, but between them, they can grow better crops, bigger cows with more meat etc...

We only knew what caused earthquakes maybe 70 years ago. Plate tectonics is a farly new theory. Before that, we didnt really know what caused em, and when settlements were formed, they were considered random acts of god.
And volcanic eruptions also produce very fertile soil. So for farming it makes perfect sense. a big volcanic eruption will happen every few hundred years, but between them, they can grow better crops, bigger cows with more meat etc...

God points there. Wouldn't it make more sense to set up farming at a safer distance and transport the soil though? Or am i being a bit ignorant here

God points there. Wouldn't it make more sense to set up farming at a safer distance and transport the soil though? Or am i being a bit ignorant here

Now days, with fertilers etc, and lorrys yes. but when civilisations were settling down, and we were using horse + cart, this would of been highly impractical!

Good news at last. Radiation levels around Fukushima have dropped even more in last hour. Good news. Now they have to try and stop disease starting up, and get some clean water sorted. Would truly hate to be involved in that scenario. Be an absolute nightmare for everybody :(

---------- Post added at 03:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 AM ----------

looks like I was wrong. More people than thought may have been exposed now

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Video-Japan-Quake-Nuclear-Power-Plant-Emergencies-After-Japan-Earthquake-And-Tsunami/Article/201103215950844?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15950844_Video%3A_Japan_Quake%3A_Nuclear_Power_Plant_Emergencies_After_Japan_Earthquake_And_Tsunami

Last edited:
Utterly devastating, makes you think that any of our troubles are so insignificant

The Japanese government has sought to play down fears of a meltdown at the Fukushima plant.
It says radiation levels around the stricken plant have now fallen.
A huge rescue and relief operation is under way in the region after the earthquake and subsequent tsunami, which are thought to have killed more than 1,000 people.

BBC NEWS

The Japanese government has sought to play down fears of a meltdown at the Fukushima plant.
It says radiation levels around the stricken plant have now fallen.
A huge rescue and relief operation is under way in the region after the earthquake and subsequent tsunami, which are thought to have killed more than 1,000 people.

BBC NEWS

Going to have a **** of a job stopping disease, and stopping the water supplies being infected with potential disease. God help them in that job. Wouldn't wish that on anybody.

---------- Post added at 04:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 AM ----------

now this is very disturbing

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Video-Japan-Quake-Nuclear-Power-Plant-Emergencies-After-Japan-Earthquake-And-Tsunami-Reactor-Risk/Article/201103215950844?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15950844_Video%3A_Japan_Quake%3A_Nuclear_Power_Plant_Emergencies_After_Japan_Earthquake_And_Tsunami_Reactor_Risk

looks like not all the stations held up as well as the Fukushami one. and another 6.1 aftershock

Last edited:
Poor Japan, poor Japanese people...

Sometimes I ask myself, what God is this? If he exists, why does this happen. I'd like to see the church explaining that.

Poor Japan, poor Japanese people...

Sometimes I ask myself, what God is this? If he exists, why does this happen. I'd like to see the church explaining that.

To be honest, if there was one, he wouldn't let this happen. Thats the way I see it anway. Poor bastards will be going through absolute **** right now. How much more can they take

cooling system 3 has failed at Fukushima plant. God help them

Last edited:
I guess that church and other religious people would say that this is a challenge that God put on us, or punishment for human sins, or whatever.
But I better stop here, not the place for starting a believers vs non-believers debate.

I guess that church and other religious people would say that this is a challenge that God put on us, or punishment for human sins, or whatever.
But I better stop here, not the place for starting a believers vs non-believers debate.

that started a while back on all sorts of sites mate lol. People were blaming the moon thing being its closest orbit too. But its nothing more, than moving plates. Not god, not the moon. Just unfortunate tragedy. But no doubt, there will be people scaremongering sadly. Scarily, the power was equivalent to 25,000 nuclear weapons being detonated at the same time. Horrific

I'm just hoping when I wake up I hear better news. My hopes with Japan :(

Last edited:
Nearly 900 people were killed as a result of the earthquake and tsunami, Japanese national police say. 642 people are reported missing, with 1,570 injured. The death toll of nearly 900 does not include up to 300 bodies found in Sendai.

Nearly 900 people were killed as a result of the earthquake and tsunami, Japanese national police say. 642 people are reported missing, with 1,570 injured. The death toll of nearly 900 does not include up to 300 bodies found in Sendai.

Jesus. Its rapidly becoming a nightmare-if thats possible after whats already happened. God knows how bad it will be by monday. Shudder to think. I'm guessing they've given up on that ship that got swept out to sea.