Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake

I can't even begin to comprehend a situation like this, my heart goes out to everyone caught up in this mess. Thank you to (almost) everyone contributing to this thread, it is much easier to follow here than on the various news channels. May those taken rest in peace.

Aftershock of 6.0 hits Fukushima. Possible if these aftershocks get to magnitude 7.0 then more tsunamis could occur.

My word. That's quite some engineering by the Japanese, to create something that would withstand all that. We can only hope it continues to hold.

1349: A team from the National Institute of Radiological Sciences has been despatched to Fukushima as a precaution, reports NHK. It is reportedly made up of doctors, nurses and other individuals with expertise in dealing with radiation exposure, and has been taken by helicopter to a base 5km from the nuclear plant.

Shouldnt the aftershocks stop like... a few hours after the main one?

What is sad though, is that when there's a major catastrophe, nearly all countries rally around each other to help each other out, even the ones that dislike/distrust each other. Then when everything is back to normal, is back to square one again with dislike/mistrust. Really weird, and sad, when it happens, because it shows that they're willing to help out in times of crisis. Will it ever change? No.

What is sad though, is that when there's a major catastrophe, nearly all countries rally around each other to help each other out, even the ones that dislike/distrust each other. Then when everything is back to normal, is back to square one again with dislike/mistrust. Really weird, and sad, when it happens, because it shows that they're willing to help out in times of crisis. Will it ever change? No.

because i dare say there is money to be made out this disaster, japan won't have the money to rebuild so where can they borrow from? or do they then do favours for other countries?

you have to remember that in these situation there are always people looking to make money out of it and they will

because i dare say there is money to be made out this disaster, japan won't have the money to rebuild so where can they borrow from? or do they then do favours for other countries?

you have to remember that in these situation there are always people looking to make money out of it and they will

True. Some investors made sure they got some sort of plus side with their investments when it happened. Couldn't believe it.

Looks like they've the first cases of radiation sickness in a hospital

RIP :'(

Also seen this somewhere

World trade centre attack-11th September
Haiti earthquake-11th September
Japan earthquake & tsunami-11th March
21/12/2012-Date the world is supposed to end
2+1+1+2+2+0+1+2=11!
Don't believe in 2012 but thats ****** crazy **** :S

9/11 was man made, that had nothing to do with nature.

Either way Japan aren't saying anything to the UN, any other places badly hit?

9/11 was man made, that had nothing to do with nature.

Either way Japan aren't saying anything to the UN, any other places badly hit?

State of emergency was declared in 4 towns of California. Not heard anything more

And to think everyone in England woke up yesterday like they do everyday , what if this happened in Europe?
People wouldn't be making sarcastic comments and jokes if England could potentially be hit by it.

PS - Sarcastic comments/jokes , not on FMBase but other forums around the internet I have been hearing/reading a lot.

And to think everyone in England woke up yesterday like they do everyday , what if this happened in Europe?
People wouldn't be making sarcastic comments and jokes if England could potentially be hit by it.

PS - Sarcastic comments/jokes , not on FMBase but other forums around the internet I have been hearing/reading a lot.

yeah there's quite a few sickos on FB. Would they have done it if family and friends were there? No. ******. And they aren't the usual "light" humour ones either. They're pretty much sewer level.

Last edited:
So it has his CA? I hope none of those pacific islands that no ones heard of got affected...

What's wrong with having a sense of humour? I'm sure if there was an imminent disaster heading towards us someone would have something funny to say.

If the jokes etc offend you then... /hug

So it has his CA? I hope none of those pacific islands that no ones heard of got affected...

Yeah, one of the harbour ports Fort Bragg got "significant" damage, and 2 people died from trying to picture the Tsunami. Not very bright.

What's wrong with having a sense of humour? I'm sure if there was an imminent disaster heading towards us someone would have something funny to say.

If the jokes etc offend you then... /hug

If we had an imminent disaster heading our way the first words out of my mouth would be...........

OH S**T I wish I had booked that holiday I always wanted.

I don't understand the Richter Scale at all, but at 8.9, it's higher than the one in Chile last year which claimed some 350 odd lives.

The Chile quake had close to 600 fatalities, rather than "350 odd lives". Still a huge ******* difference, though.

Just hoping the 9,500 people missing in that town minami sanriku aren't dead. not looking good though sadly

Don't get your hopes up, I'm afraid in most cases like this, missing equals dead. It's not like there are 100 people missing - may have fled and are unaccounted for. When such a large amount dissappear out of a sudden you have to be ready for the worst.

Awful stuff. Could've been worse, though, glad the nuclear plant didn't "really" go boom after all.