UCL - SC Braga vs Arsenal Match Thread

Oh really? Jhezz, thanks DMF, hadn't realised that..

We should have had at least one penalty, we dominated the game, created far more chances and still they manage to beat us. Reminds me of Newcastle, and Tottenham :'(

I merely stated why they deserved to win and you didn't.
Who's to say you would have scored the penalty had you been given it? You didn't take the chances you had and they did.

On that basis, they deserved the win.

Why would his job be in question? We have been in situations similar before and managed to pull through it.

It obviously isn't. Graeme Souness is a *******.

First even reasonably right thing they've said all night - Should have been not only a penalty, but a red card for the Braga player. Clear goalscoring opportunity denied by a challenge which was "close to assault"

---------- Post added at 02:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 AM ----------

By Sam Lyon
999999.gif

JRAsh1 on Twitter: "All good things come to an end. Sadly the ending has been ongoing for 5 years. Wenger out, along with a few players, please."
I can't believe it, but I'm getting a lot of these sort of texts. Seriously.

BBC Live Text.

We better kick the living sh*t out of Partizan at the Emirates. Or i'm going to go absolutely apeshit.

It obviously isn't. Graeme Souness is a *******.

First even reasonably right thing they've said all night - Should have been not only a penalty, but a red card for the Braga player. Clear goalscoring opportunity denied by a challenge which was "close to assault"

Exactly, some of these pundits have no idea what they are ******* talking about.

Denilson simply isn't a DM, he likes to get forward too much, and doesn't track back enough - Should have been there for both of the goals.

Denilson simply isn't a DM, he likes to get forward too much, and doesn't track back enough - Should have been there for both of the goals.

Yeah, he's the passer in a triangle. Expecting him to be a DM is asking too much of him.

Fabregas out of the Villa game with a hamstring. :D Eboue out for a few weeks, so him too.

well well well what happend here, im not too shocked about the over all result but i hear Fabregas went off with a hamstring injury??? Am i shocked erm no, i think you will find i saw this coming and even said it in a few other threads in the recent past that Wenger would play him even if he is at deaths door. I can't remember the game but they spoke to Fabregas after this certain game and he said the first half was the most painfull expirience i have ever endured, but they just strapped it up at half time and it was ok in the 2nd half.

Didn't you say it was a good thing that Chelsea players like Alex and Terry wanted to play when they were 100%?

well well well what happend here, im not too shocked about the over all result but i hear Fabregas went off with a hamstring injury??? Am i shocked erm no, i think you will find i saw this coming and even said it in a few other threads in the recent past that Wenger would play him even if he is at deaths door. I can't remember the game but they spoke to Fabregas after this certain game and he said the first half was the most painfull expirience i have ever endured, but they just strapped it up at half time and it was ok in the 2nd half.

I know right? I think we're approaching a crisis. Having to win against Partizan at Home..

Wenger plays Fabregas at times like this because he is our best player, and our captain - Chelsea gave injections or whatever to Alex so he could play against Brum and he's not even your best player, Redknapp risked Defoe.

Sometimes they work, like Fabregas v Villa last season, or Defoe v us this season, at other times, it doesn't. Just very bad luck.. Didn't help that Braga were dirty little..

Didn't you say it was a good thing that Chelsea players like Alex and Terry wanted to play when they were 100%?

I never said it was a good thing at all, i would rather Chelsea not play them if they don't feel 100%.

I feel pleased and sad. I don't like seeing Arsenal lose tbh, but I win 6p tomorrow from mates :p

I know right? I think we're approaching a crisis. Having to win against Partizan at Home..

Wenger plays Fabregas at times like this because he is our best player, and our captain - Chelsea gave injections or whatever to Alex so he could play against Brum and he's not even your best player, Redknapp risked Defoe.

Sometimes they work, like Fabregas v Villa last season, or Defoe v us this season, at other times, it doesn't. Just very bad luck.. Didn't help that Braga were dirty little..

Alex might not be our best player but he was out best centre back we could play at that moment. Your not approaching a crisis at all, just getting some bad results but in a way its typical of Arsenal to do this its nothing new. Definatly not a crisis you are still in the hunt for the League and will more than likely still win this group.

Alex might not be our best player but he was out best centre back we could play at that moment. Your not approaching a crisis at all, just getting some bad results but in a way its typical of Arsenal to do this its nothing new. Definatly not a crisis you are still in the hunt for the League and will more than likely still win this group.

Firstly, just so I don't forget: To win the group, we need Braga to beat Shakhtar by less than 14 goals, and we need to beat Partizan, at home. Not quite so likely.. On the other hand, if we draw or lose to Partizan (God forbid) we need Shakhtar to match our result, or better.

You could have played Bruma, who you always seem to rave about..

I don't really think it's your place to criticise Wenger's selection policy tbh..

And you're right, it's nothing new, but I don't remember the last time we lost 2 CL group games (in succession too) and lost 4 of our first 14 games. It is worrying tbh.

Firstly, just so I don't forget: To win the group, we need Braga to beat Shakhtar by less than 14 goals, and we need to beat Partizan, at home. Not quite so likely.. On the other hand, if we draw or lose to Partizan (God forbid) we need Shakhtar to match our result, or better.

You could have played Bruma, who you always seem to rave about..

I don't really think it's your place to criticise Wenger's selection policy tbh..

And you're right, it's nothing new, but I don't remember the last time we lost 2 CL group games (in succession too) and lost 4 of our first 14 games. It is worrying tbh.

Yeri agree we should have played Bruma but Ancelotti did say the reason he didn't is because Bruma has not played much since coming back from a hernia op, It must have been a bigger risk to play him than Alex other wise im sure they wouldn't risk it but Carlo is the only man that knows the truth.

On topic of Arsenal and i am just throwing it out there why do you think you have become inconsistant, it seems as if there is somthing in the water in North London.

On topic of Arsenal and i am just throwing it out there why do you think you have become inconsistant, it seems as if there is somthing in the water in North London.

Assume you mean Fabregas? Or more generally?

More generally, I think the team is too new, and too inexperienced. It's the same old excuse, except that this time it isn't that they're not technically good enough, but that they get very tired, and don't seem to know how to hold on to a lead.

We've surrendered leads against Sunderland, Shakhtar, Tottenham and probably others I have forgotten... I have no idea what Wenger's like in the dressing room, but when we beat Liverpool 2-1 at Anfield, Cesc came out afterwards and said he [wenger] was furious at H/T (losing 1-0) and told them he expected them to win the game or whatever his equivalent of the hairdryer treatment is. Obviously there was no need for that against any of those teams, but he needs to do something other than just say "bad luck, we'll win our next game" - The players come out and apologise and say "we'll make it up to the fans" but they don't.

The team can't play for 90 minutes it seems, and morale must be rock bottom atm. A good win against Villa should put us back on track, but I was sort of hoping we'd do that tonight..

---------- Post added at 03:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 AM ----------

From BBC live text:

Gavin, a Spurs fan, via text: "I don't believe this. Arsene Wenger has been brilliant for Arsenal and he's a top-class manager. The team that has hit a rough patch, not him."

GlennCampion on Twitter: "Hold on now... Two losses and calling for Wenger's head are people losing the plot? Its November, see in May who's right."

Anon via text: "Wenger has been incubating mediocrity for too long now. The manager has gone stale time for a fresh start!"

D-Gooner on 606: "I'm against the idea of sacking Arsene Wenger - yes it has been a bad few couple of weeks but I do not see anybody coming in and fill in the gap he would leave behind. He has brought in stability to the club no other manager could."

Assume you mean Fabregas? Or more generally?

More generally, I think the team is too new, and too inexperienced. It's the same old excuse, except that this time it isn't that they're not technically good enough, but that they get very tired, and don't seem to know how to hold on to a lead.

We've surrendered leads against Sunderland, Shakhtar, Tottenham and probably others I have forgotten... I have no idea what Wenger's like in the dressing room, but when we beat Liverpool 2-1 at Anfield, Cesc came out afterwards and said he [wenger] was furious at H/T (losing 1-0) and told them he expected them to win the game or whatever his equivalent of the hairdryer treatment is. Obviously there was no need for that against any of those teams, but he needs to do something other than just say "bad luck, we'll win our next game" - The players come out and apologise and say "we'll make it up to the fans" but they don't.

The team can't play for 90 minutes it seems, and morale must be rock bottom atm. A good win against Villa should put us back on track, but I was sort of hoping we'd do that tonight..

---------- Post added at 03:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 AM ----------

From BBC live text:

Gavin, a Spurs fan, via text: "I don't believe this. Arsene Wenger has been brilliant for Arsenal and he's a top-class manager. The team that has hit a rough patch, not him."

GlennCampion on Twitter: "Hold on now... Two losses and calling for Wenger's head are people losing the plot? Its November, see in May who's right."

Anon via text: "Wenger has been incubating mediocrity for too long now. The manager has gone stale time for a fresh start!"

D-Gooner on 606: "I'm against the idea of sacking Arsene Wenger - yes it has been a bad few couple of weeks but I do not see anybody coming in and fill in the gap he would leave behind. He has brought in stability to the club no other manager could."
there still isnt a player in the side who can drag them by the the scruff of the neck, Fab can inspire, but its not the same as having players like terry gerrard vidic rio who will almost drag the side across the finish line even if they are having poor games themselves

Its so frustrating because Man Utd haven't been great this season but the way Arsenal and Chelsea have been going lately we are making them look like world beaters. Both teams should know Utd don't need any help in trying to win trophies they can do it theirselfs.

there still isnt a player in the side who can drag them by the the scruff of the neck, Fab can inspire, but its not the same as having players like terry gerrard vidic rio who will almost drag the side across the finish line even if they are having poor games themselves

Agreed. Patrick Vieira, Tony Adams, even Martin Keown did this in the good ol' days - Cesc just leads by example, and that's not good enough at the moment. No one, including Pat Rice or Wenger gets up and shouts at the players. Directs them. So they just play their free-flowing controlling football for 90 minutes and hope it's good enough.

Couldn't agree more, that is why i said if JT played on Saturday we would have got somthing from the game even if it was a point. Arsenal used to have a player like this a certain Patrick Vieira and i don't think they have had a player like that since he left and is it a coincidence they haven't won anything since he left??