Quick Update

2 of the 3 problems i listed are gone...

Wolfsburg fail FFP so we get the final CL spot - this wouldn't be the case next season, I forgot to take the screenshot but Germany have lost a CL spot :(
View attachment 254122View attachment 254121

This is the initial budget. Atm - without any sales or signings - it has gone up to £43m (with it, hopefully, come some big signings)
View attachment 254120

Russia 2018

View attachment 253277
View attachment 253278

I left the arranging of the friendlies to my assistant but played them myself:
View attachment 253276View attachment 253275View attachment 253274
3 wins, all pretty comfortable but we have always seemed to have a problem against the bigger teams - hence why we had fallen to 8th in the world rankings by now.

Group Stage:

Game 1 - USA
View attachment 253273
Dominant win, Croatia beat Israel. Both were expected.

Game 2 - Croatia
View attachment 253272
Expected this to be a tough match - so it was and it looked set to be a bore draw before Douglas Coutinho scored a great goal to secure our place in the next round, we only need a point against Israel to top the group

Game 3 - Israel
View attachment 253271
I told the players the pressure was off (it was tbf - it was a dead rubber) and they turned on the style to ensure we win the group. This turned out to be helpful as we draw Algeria and Croatia drew Belgium.

Round of 16 - Algeria
View attachment 253270
A comfortable win which was never in any real doubt - We will have another Superclasico against Argentina in the Quarter Finals.

QF - Argentina
View attachment 253269
Finally manage to beat them when it matters, I feared the worst when Ocampos gave them the lead but Everton Ribeiro levelled shortly after. It was an even game with both sides taking turns to dominate before a quickfire double from Carlos put the game beyond Argentina's reach. In the Semi's we face Uruguay (who have the top scorer in Cavani) before playing either Mexico or Holland in the Final/3rd Placed Playoff.

SF - Uruguay
View attachment 253268

A fairly early goal from P. Coutinho settled this. We were relatively comfortable throughout, Uruguay looked toothless despite a front 2 of Suarez and Cavani...

In the final it will be:
View attachment 253267
Fierro's goals have seen them this far - stop him and we have one hand on the trophy

Final - Mexico
View attachment 253266
Mexico were surprisingly good here, they would have been deserved winners. On top for 90 minutes - Fierro spearheading that, they then inexplicably took him off at the start of extra time. Everton Ribeiro, who has been excellent in the whole tournament, pounced soon after and we held on despite Luis Gustavo doing his utmost to help Mexico.

I was probably surprised we won the whole tournament - my aim was the semi's, the FA's aim was the final. However, I did say i would resign whatever the outcome so...
View attachment 253265

Next post will be at the end of the transfer window as I do an intro to the squad attempting to overthrow Bayern. I'll then go through pre-season and the first few competitive games in August.​

Really nice story so far,
Also the main screen needs updating with the Porto CL win :D

View attachment 252469
Meet the squad!

The transfer window has ended, so lets take a look at the final squad for this season

Goalkeepers
View attachment 888664View attachment 252468View attachment 252467
Timo Horn, Roman Weidenfeller and Francesco Bardi
Horn is first choice, Bardi is rotational backup for Weidenfeller who is leaving at the end of the season

Defenders
View attachment 252460View attachment 252461View attachment 252462View attachment 252463View attachment 888680View attachment 252464View attachment 252459
Leonardo Bonucci, Diego Godin, Terence Kongolo, Felix Passlack, Kevin Grosskreutz, Erik Durm and Neven Subotic
As I managed Bayern to start with, Passlack stayed at Dortmund for once and is set to push Grosskreutz for a first team spot. Godin and Kongolo are my first choice CB pairing but I will often play with 3 at the back so Bonucci and Subotic should get a fair amount of game time.

Midfielders (Central)

View attachment 252447View attachment 252448View attachment 252449View attachment 252450View attachment 252451View attachment 252452

Marco van Ginkel, Mario Pasalic, Shinji Kagawa, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Ilkay Gundogan and Sven Bender
Only 2 additions here (Van Ginkel and Pasalic) to strengthen what was already the strongest part of the team. Gundogan and Bender are the only 2 who can only play at CM, so the rest may rotate in there or elsewhere if needed.

Midfielders (Wide)
View attachment 252440View attachment 252443View attachment 252442View attachment 252441
Lucas Moura, Bruma, Jonas Hofmann and Lazar Markovic
This is the area that has changed the most. I did want to keep Baldé Keita but he got upset when i rejected Chelsea's offer and the squad backed him. I held out until United put in an offer that could rise to £52m, then accepted. Bruma is a more than adequate replacement, but Galatasaray were so difficult to negotiate with that I didn't get him until 3 weeks after Keita was sold (by which point he had played in a CL qualifier - ruling him out of it for the whole season :/ ). This is the only reason that Hofmann stayed - that and he is HG at Dortmund :)
Markovic and Moura were bought in as the right side of midfield was ***** to say the least, they add pace and trickery to the wings.

Strikers
View attachment 252437View attachment 252439View attachment 252438
Paulo Dybala, Facundo Ferrerya and Luciano Vietto
Pretty pleased with my business here, Keita had been the main choice up-front so I needed to get some replacements in. Ferrerya was already here, but had been sidelined by Dieter Hecking - from what I've seen so far I don't know why. Dybala and Vietto have both somewhat stalled in this save but they can still produce when I need them to.

View attachment 252436
Top spenders and most signings... that might be a problem (not the finance side of things, we're predicted to still make a profit this season)
Meanwhile Bayern just left it to deadline day, then casually sign Odegaard :/

View attachment 252435
Only a £15m loss, and that should be wiped out by the clauses on Keita's move

Having seen the squad, what do you guys think? Any ideas for a formation (I do have some but I'm always interested in ideas)?

Pre - Season + August

View attachment 252199
For the first time in a while, I actually arranged the pre-season friendlies myself (wanting to see how the squad measures up to some of the teams I'll need to beat) and I managed to nab a few big games for them.

View attachment 252198
The first two friendlies were controlled by my assistant as I was busy winning the WC with Brazil. I then oversaw the rest of the games.
FC Twente was a solid win, nothing spectacular but they didn't really threaten and it gave me a better look at some of the bit-part players.
West Ham was a great game - they are the 6th richest club in game after a tycoon takeover (and have spent nearly £200m over the last 3 seasons) so i was delighted to get the win, not so delighted with our defending.
PSG and Napoli were both games where they showed their experience in these bigger games, generally being more organised defensively and more clinical offensively. Still - it does give us something to work towards.
The Real Betis and Verona games were disappointing, we were on top in both (not dominant though) and held leads in both - only to throw them away.
Fiorentina is the result I wanted - most of the transfers were done by then and the team looked like they were starting to play the way I wanted them to (even if the Fiorentina goalie did get MotM..)

Next we moved onto the competitve fixtures in August. There would be 4, 1 in the cup against a 2. Bundesliga side, 1 in the league (away to Leverkusen...) and the 2 legged CL playoff against Sparta Prague (we got lucky there). So how did we do?

View attachment 252196
The team have gelled superbly and this is shown in the results!
The German cup tie looks like it was harder than it was, mainly due to us resting players, but it was never really in doubt.
The away leg of the CL playoff was awful, we didn't play anywhere near our best football but our superior class and ability shone through and we snatched an undeserved win - meaning we're probably through already. They do have a couple of promising regens - one of them scored an absolute worldie to make it 2-2.
Leverkusen away was the big game this month - and we delivered (even if it did require a hairdryer at HT). Ferrerya was amazing - he had 2 more disallowed for offside! It was easily noticeable that we had a weakness to long balls (even if they have 2 tall guys up front). This puts us 4th after 1 game - obviously hoping for higher after the performance they showed.
The second leg of the playoff was a formality as soon as we went 1-0 up, although their regen was playing well again. Unfortunately when i checked after the game they didn't want to sell him (understandably). We're in the CL and the draw was made just before the end of August:

View attachment 252191
I suppose it could have been easier! Champions of France, Italy and Austria against 5th in Germany :/

We need to win the home games against PSG and Roma (plus both games against Red Bull) to hopefully get through - although a point away to PSG/Roma would be welcomed as well.

PotM:
Everyone played well this month, but i believe one player in particular was brilliant: Lazar Markovic.
He has really livened up the right wing with his runs with the ball, and his crossing is what is getting the strikers lots of goals. Could be a key player this season.

In September:
Games against Wolfsburg and Bayern, plus the start of our CL campaign (Red Bull away)

Is anyone actually reading this? If not I might continue this as a save and just update occasionally - then focus on a new story instead.

View attachment 250039
Sorry for the lack of updates (or lack of motivation) but I've got a lot of free time over the next month or so and the updates should be more regular now (I would've started a team mode BaP but Telstar beat me to doing it :p )

Anyway - here's September and October (might do it in 2 month updates from now)
View attachment 250038
Both months were filled with tough fixtures - realistically we shouldn't lose any league games before the winter break now. Delighted we are still unbeaten in all competitions, even if some of the performances have been below par.
We did have a late goal ruled out for offside against Bayern, but I wasn't too disappointed with the draw. Vietto is turning out to be one of those players who can be playing absolutely terribly and still get a goal or two...
Our worst performances were against Monchengladbach and Schalke - although we came from behind in both to keep our unbeaten record going.
CL-wise, Red Bull was probably our hardest match? Although we weren't alone in struggling as Roma only beat them 4-3. PSG beat them 4-0 at their place so I'm hoping for a draw there.

League table:
View attachment 250037
No offense to Schalke or Leverkusen, but I think we're the only team who will be able to keep up with Bayern - It's just a question of if they'll slip up again, and even then we will probably still need a result at the Allianz...

CL table:
View attachment 250036
Looks like we'll win the group - but we do have to go away to PSG and Roma...

Top Goalscorer:
View attachment 250035
Lucaino Vietto (9)
He needs lots of chances, but he does get you goals in the end.

Most Assists:
View attachment 250034
Bruma [6]
We spread the assists around - Bruma's been injured for most of October

Highest Average rating:
View attachment 250033
Lazar Markovic (8.47)
He's been outstanding, no other way to describe it.

November + December

View attachment 249044
This post covers up to the start of the winter break (and the awards from January 1st)

Fixtures:
View attachment 249043
Maybe I shouldn't have said about going unbeaten till the break. Kept our amazing form going, only dropping points once in the league. That game wasn't exactly difficult either - just Vietto and Godin both had shockers. The next 'hardest' game was Bremen, that was only because Kongolo got himself sent off after 17 minutes!
Against Roma I played a slightly weaker team as we had won the group and they were guaranteed second.

League table:
View attachment 249042
Bayern as relentless as ever - we've done really well to keep up with them. Leverkusen have slowly fallen away over the past 2 months, and Schalke look out of the race for the top 2 already.

Cl table:
View attachment 249041
Easily topped the group and only complacency stopped us getting 18 points

CL draw:
View attachment 249040
This could have been a lot tougher - Barcelona were in the unseeded pot.

Cup draw:
View attachment 249039
This could have been tougher as well... we could've had to go away to them instead.

Top goalscorer:
View attachment 249038
Luciano Vietto [15]
Starting to become a bit more clinical - maybe helped by Dybala finding the back of the net a few times

Most assists:
View attachment 249036
Bruma [11]
This has been a constant battle between him and Markovic (although Kagawa isn't far behind on 8) and Bruma is only really winning due to being injured less (and the fact that there isn't a back-up player for him)

Highest Avg. Rating:
View attachment 249037
Lazar Markovic [8.30]
Not quite the blisteringly high standards he has set himself, but still excellent - he gets an 8.20 in a 1-0 win where he doesn't get the goal or the assist :p

Awards:
Ballon d'Or: Neymar
European Golden Boy: Axel D'Allesandro (Regen Porto bought after I left)
View attachment 249033
World TotY:
View attachment 249034

Transfer Plans:
Not much, Subotic and Ferrerya both want to leave, so I might want to get another CB to replace Subotic. Also tracking Kingsley Coman, as several clubs want Mkhitaryan.

Loving reading this! Please keep it up. Really interested to see how you'll tackle the club with no name and the step down you'll make when taking on less reputable clubs.

January Special

View attachment 248562
Most of this month was taken up by the winter break - Only 2 league games, but there is the transfer window.

Transfers:
View attachment 248541
Only notable ones are Subotic and Ferrerya - Hull left it until 2 hours before the deadline to move for Ferrerya (not long after I'd given up on selling him).
View attachment 248540
Papadopoulos was bought in as he is HG and cheap (same as Subotic, plus we're fairly close to the FFP line so I had to look for transfer listed players). Rodrigo was bought in with 15 minutes to spare... but he's accepted rotation as his squad status - which he will get as he is versatile.
View attachment 248542
Yeh, not much happened in Germany this window. Look closely and you can see that Juventus tried to sign Mkhitaryan - they offered nowhere near enough.
Fixtures:
View attachment 248556
2 morale boosting friendly wins followed by 2 games showing we'd lost our form. We barely beat Bochum, Godin was controversially sent off after just 9 minutes - but they did miss the resulting penalty. We were all over them but just couldn't find a way through until Bonucci pounced from a corner. Comfortable from then on.
The Leverkusen match was just one of those matches that makes you want to throw your computer out the window. We had 41 shots - 23 on target - and hit the woodwork 4 times, had 2 shots cleared off the line and watched as Leno single handedly denied us any points. A comical own goal by Horn gave them the 3 points and left the table looking like this:

View attachment 248552
We play Bayern in February - if we don't win that game then we stand no chance of the title (tbf we stand little chance of it anyway).

Hardly any change in the players stats so won't bother putting it up.​

Last edited:
February + March

View attachment 247123
Make or break time in the league, while we have a long journey in the CL to look forward to...

Fixtures:
View attachment 247110
BMG (4-0)
A comfortable win to start the month
Bayern (0-5)
The less said about this, the better
Wolfsburg (3-0)
Perfect response to the shambles at Bayern
Augsburg (1-0)
This was trickier than it should've been, also Rodrigo scored his first goal in this game
Shakhtar (1-1)
Probably should have won this, neither side played particularly well but we get an away goal
Freiburg (3-2)
Rested a few players here and it showed as we were almost embarrassed.
Bayern (2-1 AET)
Revenge. Even if they did play a weaker side (Kovacic, Gotze, R. Rodriguez...)
Frankfurt (3-0)
Comfortable, Papadopoulos' first goal
Schalke (3-0)
Comfortable win over the rivals - never in doubt after Draxler's own goal.
Shakhtar (2-0, Agg 3-1)
Through comfortably - Shakhtar failed to threaten us with only 1 shot on target
Koln (2-0)
They've played badly for most of the season, disappointing to only get 2.

League Table:
View attachment 247111
Stuck in the middle of Bayern and Leverkusen, looks like we'll finish second.

Cup draw:
View attachment 247117
Really?! Its like they said 'Oh you've knocked out Bayern, well done - now go away to the next toughest team you can get' At least there's only Schalke left in the draw after this.

CL draw:
View attachment 247116
Would not have picked them, ever. I would have taken Bayern over them (that's saying something)

Youth Intake
View attachment 247101
Not too bad, Thommes is the main prospect here - alhough I wouldn't be surprised if a few others made it to a top division side.

View attachment 246065
Simulated to the end of the season, bar the last match (for obvious reasons)

Firstly, the German Cup
View attachment 246061
The semi and the final were pretty straightforward, admittedly we had knocked the other 2 teams in the top 3 out of the cup beforehand. Also the media thought that our win against Leverkusen was our best... Bayern have won the league the past 6 seasons (not including this one) and finished this season with 106 goals...

Could we stop Bayern making it 7 in a row in the league?
View attachment 246060View attachment 246059
Results like that would be brilliant in any other league, losing only 4 games all season. Unfortunately we have Bayern in our league, and failing to beat them in either league game means no title for us - they only lost once all season

View attachment 246057
A comfortable second, all that I realistically expected this season.

Awards
View attachment 246052View attachment 246051View attachment 246050View attachment 246049
About as much as can be expected awards wise. I fail to reclaim my manager of the year award, would have liked second though.
Passlack getting 3rd in newcomer of the year is surprising given that he's hardly a newcomer.
Absolutely delighted for Bruma, ending Bayern's dominance in PotY - a well deserved winner and my vote for the Dortmund PotY
Team of the season is understandably dominated by Bayern, I wouldn't have picked any others from Dortmund to replace the two we got in there.

Finally the big one:
View attachment 246047
All we need is a good few days...

Real Madrid (QF):
View attachment 246041View attachment 246042

Yeh, this actually happened :O Furious that we threw away the first leg, thought we had no chance in the second leg. We go there to try and nick a goal and find ourselves 5-2 down with 20 minutes left. I made the final change and actually walked off believing we were out. Came back a few minutes later as we'd just made it 5-5. I was speechless. We held on!

The four teams in the semis were us, Bayern, Leverkusen and Sevilla (No prizes for guessing who we wanted to avoid)

Sevilla (SF)
View attachment 246038View attachment 246037
The first leg got us through, disappointed not to win the second as well after playing against 10 men for nearly an hour

We're through to the final to play
?
F
ind out in the next post

Player stats (Pre CL final)
Top goalscorer: Paulo Dybala (21)
Most assists: Bruma (16)
Highest average rating: Lazar Markovic (7.86)

Also, on the CL final day I have job interviews with Barcelona, Hamburg, Aston Villa and Marseille. Who would you go with?

View attachment 245997
CL Final Special

Somehow we are playing Bayer Leverkusen - who knocked out both Barcelona and Bayern. They beat us in the league at our place so this will be a tough match.

View attachment 245992View attachment 245991
Brilliant! We finish with nine men after Kongolo got sent off and Bruma went off injured, Leverkusen only had 10 after Drmic went off injured. Real end to end stuff and we were rescued by Dybala who I left out at the start after mistakenly thinking that my assistant had picked him ahead of Vietto (then not realising until the 50th minute -_-). In the shootout I only saw the first penalty (Brandt for Leverkusen) then I walked off as I can't watch penalties (IRL or In game). Turns out Brandt's was the only missed penalty :D

View attachment 245990View attachment 245989View attachment 245988View attachment 245987View attachment 245986

All the typical reaction stuff - nice note on the board confidence one where they noted it was my third success in the CL - all with different clubs (first manager to do so in this save :p )

But because I'm so nice....
View attachment 245984
I seriously hope they get a better manager than who the media think (Rafa wouldn't be too bad, the rest would be bad), admittedly I have robbed them of about £4m in compensation :p

View attachment 903564
CL Final Special

Somehow we are playing Bayer Leverkusen - who knocked out both Barcelona and Bayern. They beat us in the league at our place so this will be a tough match.

View attachment 903572View attachment 903575
Brilliant! We finish with nine men after Kongolo got sent off and Bruma went off injured, Leverkusen only had 10 after Drmic went off injured. Real end to end stuff and we were rescued by Dybala who I left out at the start after mistakenly thinking that my assistant had picked him ahead of Vietto (then not realising until the 50th minute -_-). In the shootout I only saw the first penalty (Brandt for Leverkusen) then I walked off as I can't watch penalties (IRL or In game). Turns out Brandt's was the only missed penalty :D

View attachment 903578View attachment 903581View attachment 903584View attachment 903587View attachment 903590

All the typical reaction stuff - nice note on the board confidence one where they noted it was my third success in the CL - all with different clubs (first manager to do so in this save :p )

But because I'm so nice....
View attachment 903592
I seriously hope they get a better manager than who the media think (Rafa wouldn't be too bad, the rest would be bad), admittedly I have robbed them of about £4m in compensation :p
Great job with dortmund.
I wonder who you'll go with next *cough forest*

Well if your job interview went well I can imagine you are heading over to Spain :)

The job interview did go well so....

View attachment 245870
Barcelona is my next club

Squad overview and stuff later but a quick recap of how they did last season:
  • Lost the Super Cup to Real Madrid
  • Finished 2nd in La Liga
  • Lost in the CL quarter finals to Leverkusen!
  • Lost in the Copa del Rey quarter finals to Real Betis!

No wonder Ancelotti got sacked, that's a season without a trophy for Barca!​