Underdogs have their day tactic by Raikan007 442 Modern Creator

Raikan007

Reaction score
Tactic setup/notes/explanation:

I have been working on this tactic for about a season and have not made many changes to it this second season so far. The tactic is/was based around being the underdog in most games.. Playing counter strategy is recommended vs bigger teams and when playing away from home!

This is not an exploit tactic in anyway, it does not use ONE!
Its pure football at its best!

It is set at attacking as it is fluid and I am playing at home in my next game!

This is quite a unique set up, I have been implementing a system that adds an extra defensive mid to that zone when on defence and then an amc to the amc zone when on attack.. seen in figure 1.1 below...

The CML acts as a DM on defence and helps out the back 4, the CMR is a DLP but pushes a little more forward and acts as the playmaker on attack and adds good cover on defence as well!

The CBR is the stopper and pushes out in front of the CBL which acts as a sweeper to intercept passes and make crucial headers and clearances.. This position requires good anticipation and pace!

So the CBR ends up in a similar part of the pitch the CML which is now the DM on defence and act as a cover for the sweeper type centreback, there are always options open for the pass being it the wingers who are asked to run from deep sometimes to save on stamina and bring players out of position along with the DLP who is sitting further up the pitch and then the fullbacks who push up to the half way line and overlap sometimes..

The wingers need to be AML - left foot, AMR - right foot

The strikers are both big, strong strikers who are good in the air and good with ball at feet as they swap positions, the STR is the CF which acts a little like a TM, the STL is more of the AF that attacks defenders while receiving through balls from the STR! New setup this for me, its producing some fantastic football between the two strikers, even better than my Might and Magic/Amazing setup!

That is enough talking right now, must be boring reading this, but its the backbone of the tactic and needs to be understood in order to select the right players and opposition instructions..

Figure 1.1

View attachment 272878

Underdog tactic by Raikan007

Please click the heading to take you to the download page...

This is not just for underdog teams, the better teams you use it for the better the results should be, hopefully ;)

Formation & Touchline Shouts:

View attachment 272907View attachment 272906

Also, play around with shouts that might make it more suitable for your team as well! Clear ball to flanks, play wider etc are good shouts to use as well! Look for overlap etc..

If you see the player settings, I have edited them quite a bit but not as much as I normally do, this is because I have left most of the settings that use certain shouts I do to default, so when I change something, the player instructions change along with it... same goes for the attacking/countering etc..

You can use Drill Crosses as well (have not tried it as everyone uses Drill) it aims for the back post so the crossing stats need to be as good as possible :) the Wingers get into great goalscoring area's as well

Important:

When playing away from home! Switch to Counter and set passing to Direct and increase tempo by a few notches!

Pitch Size:

Standard, whatever that is for you! 100m by 64m or so...

Opposition instructions:

• [*=center]Wingers - show to weaker feet

[*=center]Strikers - hard tackling/show weaker foot (no tight marking or closing down at all)

[*=center]Centremids - Close down/show weak feet

[*=center]Defenders - show weaker feet to all

• [*=center]STR - Tall, strong, good in the air

[*=center]STL - Tall, good in the air and with ball at feet, pace, off the ball
Wingers:

• [*=center]AML - Quick, off the ball, crossing, dribbling, first touch, stamina

[*=center]AMR - Same as above
Centremids:

• [*=center]CMR - Passing, creativity, teamwork, first touch, technique, decisions

[*=center]CML - Tackling, work rate, teamwork, marking, stamina, strength, bravery, anticipation
Defenders:

• [*=center]LB - Crossing, marking, pace, tackling, stamina

[*=center]RB - Same as above

[*=center]CBR - Anticiaption,heading,decisions, bravery, marking, pace, strength, jumping

[*=center]CBL - Pace, anticipation, positioning, marking, heading

Disclaimer:

This tactic is not going to win you every single game! It is working really well for me and the setup is unique and may not work for your team right away or ever, give it time for the players to get used to it! It may take up to 20 games or so! It has no exploits so dont expect your strikers to score over 100 goals a season, this is real football and you are not guarenteed to win each game! I honestly hope you do win most games :) but I still lose, its realistic and makes the game that much more enjoyable!

you can increase the tempo normally as well, works pretty well too! especially away from home, just on the verge of normal/quick but leave as quick :)

I have made two changes, I have increased tempo to quick and asked RB to cross to near post instead of far post!

Im looking for a decent tactic for European games (with Celtic) so I will give it a try and let you know how I get on.

Looks promising though.

Im looking for a decent tactic for European games (with Celtic) so I will give it a try and let you know how I get on.

Looks promising though.

good luck mate, hope it works :)

I have Mulgrew and Adam Matthews in my team :p

I will give this a go with Wolves and report back, any advise?

It looks like a good old fashioned, get it out wide and whip crosses in to the big men 4-4-2, which still remains my favourite formation.

The changes you mention in the post following, have you already edited into the tactic which we download? Or do we put them in ourselves?

I will give this a go with Wolves and report back, any advise?

It looks like a good old fashioned, get it out wide and whip crosses in to the big men 4-4-2, which still remains my favourite formation.

The changes you mention in the post following, have you already edited into the tactic which we download? Or do we put them in ourselves?

already edited into the downloadble tactic :)

its more than that though :) not just clear ball and whip in crosses, it has that as a part of it. you should score goals through the middle with the two strikers playing off each other!

good luck, hope it works for you :)

there are a few dangerous settings I have in here, I know that, like the CBR pushing up and trying to intercept, sometime he misses the ball etc.. but on the whole, it works and works well!

PLEASE NOTE:

there are a few dangerous settings like the one mentioned above.. you may find that this is where you leak the goals from.. if you want to, change the settings of the CBR to match the CBL's but make their closing down exactly halfway! this will keep them in line and you can play an offside trap as well if you like...

Love It! Love It! Love It! i am using your possession 4-4-2 at the moment but i am conceding a few goals away, gonna try this along side it.

Your 4-4-2 tactics are my favorite... don't suppose you have a 5-4-1 do you?

Love It! Love It! Love It! i am using your possession 4-4-2 at the moment but i am conceding a few goals away, gonna try this along side it.

Your 4-4-2 tactics are my favorite... don't suppose you have a 5-4-1 do you?

cheers mate! I hope you still love it once you have used it lol :)

um, not I dont! I can easily make one, this could be done using this actually..

I lost 9-3 in my first game away at Arsenal :(

First impressions this tactic looks very suspect at the back.

cheers mate! I hope you still love it once you have used it lol :)

um, not I dont! I can easily make one, this could be done using this actually..

That would bve awesome i sometimes like to sit deep and defend, just flood the midfield. would a tweak be ok?

I lost 9-3 in my first game away at Arsenal :(

First impressions this tactic looks very suspect at the back.

hahaha, I thought as much.. as I said, make the change to it mentioned earlier or give it time to settle in... sorry mate :p

THE NEW VERSION ON THE OP HAS THE CORRECT TACTIC!

here's the defensive tweak version of the tactic...

Last edited:
On the face of it the defensive tweak looks a better allround tactic. Will give it a go!

I have created a tactic for underdogs based on the Greek achievement in 2004. If the results keep going as they are then I will create a thread for it. It isn't really a 4-4-2 but I think it is related to this because it's also an underdog tactic. It is very defensive; which is something I've been working on for a long time. Hopefully it is as good as this one.

Last edited:
PLEASE NOTE:

REDOWNLOAD THE TACTIC FROM THE FIRST PAGE! THE LATEST VERSION HAS BEEN ADDED! IT IS SET TO COUNTERING, HOWEVER, SETTING TO ATTACK AT HOME IS A GOOD IDEA!

PLEASE NOTE:

REDOWNLOAD THE TACTIC FROM THE FIRST PAGE! THE LATEST VERSION HAS BEEN ADDED! IT IS SET TO COUNTERING, HOWEVER, SETTING TO ATTACK AT HOME IS A GOOD IDEA!

Using the latest version, Would you still suggesting switching to direct passing and putting the tempo up a few notches, away from home?