Van der Sar sets retirement date

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar confirms he will retire from football at the end of this season.

More...

Legend. Hope we replace him with quality keeper instead of making same mistake we did after Great Dane's retirement.

I'd bet 3 months salary on Stekelenburg becoming his replacement on summer.

Neuer or Adler is my bets for who they get to replace him

please can we sell Kuszack... would like to see our new recruit have a game or two as well...

would love Neuer, Akinfeev, De Gea or Stekelenburg though

Adler is Manchester United fan and has a clause only for United. But he has been poor since his injury. I watch Bundesliga as much as i can, from what i have seen, Adler is not in very poor form. Things might change, but he never looked Adler of old even once. :(

On the other hand Neuer is amazing, he has shades of Great Dane. Would love to see him as our GK. Wont be surprised if we make a move for either Neuer or Adler. I dont mind with any of the two.

One of the best keepers of my generation. He has had a fantastic career & wish him all the best in the future.

Back to this worry about who Man utd will sign now. Will we see another Bosnich,Tiabi(sp) or Howard?

Kuszczak will stay as a backup keeper, while lindegaard hot prospect for the future probobaly,

De Gea.Neuer.Stekelburg,akinfeev?

Any of them are quality, and would love to see them at united.

One of the best keepers of my generation. He has had a fantastic career & wish him all the best in the future.

Back to this worry about who Man utd will sign now. Will we see another Bosnich,Tiabi(sp) or Howard?

This is my worry. Even we had Barthez who was really good, but was prone to too many mistakes. Back in 1999 we had chance to sign VDS, but some how we let the chance go, hope we wont do the same mistake again.

Need someone with extreme talent to replace him, quality keeper. And, is still one of the best in the Premierleague.

Legend, not only the way he plays, also the way he conducts himself, off the pitch as well. You will be missed Edwin :wub:

my bet is that fergie will go for de gea, he's only 20 years old and has alot of experience already, if they can get him i think he'll stay for the majority of his career and there's no reason why man utd would have to buy another top goalie for 10-15 years

Fantastic goalkeeper and one of the best I have seen. VDS will be very hard to replace and SAF has admitted that buying goalkeepers is one of his weak points. Hopefully we splash the cash on a proven keeper such as Neuer or Adler and maybe we could risk De Gea but I think Neuer is the most likely. Hopefully it doesn't take 5 years to get a replacement like it did for Schmeichel.

Fergie won't sign a huge reputation goalkeeper, it's not his style. I reckon it could be a surprise and may go for someone like Alan McGregor.

Tim Krul on van der Sar:

"He (van der Sar) won the Champions League with Ajax back in 1995 and I was eight-years-old at the time," explained fellow Dutchman Krul, 22.

"I even went to see Ajax a couple of times just to see him play and he has been a great goalkeeper for many, many years.

"He has continued to break records and win European Cups, and for me he's an absolute idol.

"I actually met him a few years ago and I remember telling my parents that he was the only person I've ever been nervous about meeting.

"He took about 30 minutes of his time to speak to me and he even rang me after I made my Newcastle debut.

"He's the best all-rounder at the moment and to win 130 caps for your country says it all."

Also, via Opta

77% - Only two goalkeepers have a higher save % since start of 2006-07 than Edwin van der Sar, one of them is Tomasz Kuszczak (82%). Heir.

GK Save %
1. Kuszczak 82%
2. Cech 78%
3. VDS 77%
4. Gomes 76%
5. Howard 75%
6. Hart 75%
7. Turnbull 74%
---
18. Reina 72%

Edwin is a tank, great keeper, sad to see him go. Hopefully he goes out in style. ( lifting the european cup)

Last edited:
Thought he retired last year.

But to be honest top player for so long, will be missed and hard for Man U to replace. I know they after De Gea from A. Madrid, he will be expensive

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Fergie won't sign a huge reputation goalkeeper, it's not his style. I reckon it could be a surprise and may go for someone like Alan McGregor.

only if he need a Wine recomendation