Van der Sar tipped for retirement

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 77
  • Views Views 5K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Manchester United goalkeeping coach Eric Steele hints that Edwin van der Sar may retire at the end of the 2010-11 season.

More...

He's served a fantastic career. Always looked good at Fulham before his big move.

thats the general chat, United have started tracking both De Gea and Lindegaard as potential replacements.

Edwin is immense, i hope if he does retire, that he continues to have some role at United

He deserves it, he has served a long and good career. Good luck to him.

what a player he has been one the top bargins for united what a legend

has had a fantastic career and has been a top class keeper where ever he has been. will be a shame to see him hang up the gloves but it happens to everyone sooner rather than later. thank you for the service and the memories Edwin (penalty save in the Champs Final) lets hope we can get the silverware at the end of the season to cap it all off for you!

I love this man, he is a hero. He simply is class. Will Be missed.

A legend of the game. One of the all-time great keepers.

Excellent keeper. No wonder we started winning again when we signed VDS. We struggled since great Dane left us with Keepers. VDS was not only one of the best Keeper, he is also very very humble person. I read his interviews and also other players views on him, it was class. One of the true legends.

Excellent keeper. No wonder we started winning again when we signed VDS. We struggled since great Dane left us with Keepers. VDS was not only one of the best Keeper, he is also very very humble person. I read his interviews and also other players views on him, it was class. One of the true legends.

Agreed. If a prospective player of any type wanted a role model, they need look no further than Edwin Van Der Sar.

I want us to win just for the sake of VDS. He has won it all bar FA cup, hope he wins it,.

And hope we get Neuer as his replacement.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

Agreed. If a prospective player of any type wanted a role model, they need look no further than Edwin Van Der Sar.

Couldn't have put it any better, Thank you mate

Probably can see Ferguson sniffing around Gomes at the end of the season if he has a good run of form like last season.

Probably can see Ferguson sniffing around Gomes at the end of the season if he has a good run of form like last season.

no thanks lol, we need to replace Edwin with a world class goalkeeper. i am hoping we can snap up David de Gea or even someone like Lloris or Akinfeev.

Last edited:
De Gea will come in January I hope! But back on topic, VDS is just a great person, he's clever, he helps out younger players, I really hope he stays at United for a coaching role but I remember reading after the unfortunate incident about his wife that he would like to do coaching in Holland first then possibly come back to united. one day

great keeper and he has proved keepers can last a long time by still being one of the best keepers in the world at the age of 39

I hope if he goes, they replace him with a Good English Keeper whoever he may be. At the moment only one keeper out of the top eight clubs in the country is English.

People moan at Rob Green for his mistake, but you simply cant go into a World Cup with no experience of Champions League or even Europa League football, playing for a mid table Premier League side and expect to do well instantly

I hope if he goes, they replace him with a Good English Keeper whoever he may be. At the moment only one keeper out of the top eight clubs in the country is English.

People moan at Rob Green for his mistake, but you simply cant go into a World Cup with no experience of Champions League or even Europa League football, playing for a mid table Premier League side and expect to do well instantly

who would you suggest?

Joe Hart, no chance of getting
Ben Foster, we had but wasn't seen to be good enough

the only up and coming English keeper I know off is Alex Smithies of Huddersfield but he isn't no where near the standard set at United. He'd be loaned out straight away type of player

Ben Amos at United could be in with a shot in a few years. The PIG is also a really good keeper, so we don't necessarily need to buy anyone, but it would be good.

The best we've had since The Great Dane left.

We've reportedly had a look at De Gea, Akinfeev and Buffon in recent months.

Buffon would be ideal as hes vastly experienced, and can handle the pressures of champions league finals etc. He's old so its not going to be a long term investment, whereas the other two could realistically be at United for 10-15 years.

Akinfeev appears to be very mature also, skippered his club at 21 and has won the UEFA Cup, but I'm not 100% sure if he is or can become world class.

De Gea i haven't seen much of, but he replaced Asenjo as number 1 at Athletico so he must be decent.

When will someone take a gamble and bring Ochoa to Europe? Admittedly I've only seen him on youtube but he looks class. He would be cheap enough for it to not be a massive risk also. (hes Mexican as is little sweet pea Hernandez, could be a good way to convince him to come to United?)

Tbf Kuszczak is more than capable of stepping up imo, and Amos did very well on loan at Peterborough last year so it's not guaranteed that we will move to replace VDS at all.

Back