Van der Sar tipped for retirement

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 77
  • Views Views 5K
He's one fantastic goalkeeper. I always liked him as a goalie, I do hope he will teach other children how to be a better goalkeeper.

He deserves to retire from football, after being such an important member of the Manchester United team.

no thanks lol, we need to replace Edwin with a world class goalkeeper. i am hoping we can snap up David de Gea or even someone like Lloris or Akinfeev.

One of the top keepers in the Premier league last season mate and now with CL experience. You heard it here first.

and now with the CL? He was with PSV in the CL and was a eindhoven hero

The best we've had since The Great Dane left.

We've reportedly had a look at De Gea, Akinfeev and Buffon in recent months.

Buffon would be ideal as hes vastly experienced, and can handle the pressures of champions league finals etc. He's old so its not going to be a long term investment, whereas the other two could realistically be at United for 10-15 years.

Akinfeev appears to be very mature also, skippered his club at 21 and has won the UEFA Cup, but I'm not 100% sure if he is or can become world class.

De Gea i haven't seen much of, but he replaced Asenjo as number 1 at Athletico so he must be decent.

When will someone take a gamble and bring Ochoa to Europe? Admittedly I've only seen him on youtube but he looks class. He would be cheap enough for it to not be a massive risk also. (hes Mexican as is little sweet pea Hernandez, could be a good way to convince him to come to United?)

Tbf Kuszczak is more than capable of stepping up imo, and Amos did very well on loan at Peterborough last year so it's not guaranteed that we will move to replace VDS at all.
De gea is serioulsy rated in spain, ive forgotteen the name of the spanish under 21 award, buts hes a favourite to win it, and the last goalkeeper to win it was Iker Casillias. He approaches the game in a similar in style to Iker, and quite a lot of correspondants feel he is as good as, if not better than, Iker when he was that age. Akinfeev has been good whenever ive seen him, think he has the attitude to step up and be world class. Not seen Ochoa at all so cant really comment

De gea is serioulsy rated in spain, ive forgotteen the name of the spanish under 21 award, buts hes a favourite to win it, and the last goalkeeper to win it was Iker Casillias. He approaches the game in a similar in style to Iker, and quite a lot of correspondants feel he is as good as, if not better than, Iker when he was that age. Akinfeev has been good whenever ive seen him, think he has the attitude to step up and be world class. Not seen Ochoa at all so cant really comment

He looks like freekin spider man, when you think the ball is going to enter the top corner, Guillermo with a fingertip saves it .. he really is an amazing keeper, although the mexican manager prefers Oswaldo Sanchez

On topic - it will be a hard task to replace VDS, but David De Gea would be a fantastic signing for Manchester United

Last edited:
One of the top keepers in the Premier league last season mate and now with CL experience. You heard it here first.

i can't see it happening. Gomes isn't and won't be world class from now till he retires. United need a worlds class (someone who will become world class) between the sticks. Gomes is a good goalie but not good enough for United in my opinion.

Man Utd will proberbly go after Neuer, Lindegard, De Gea or Akinfeev

Yeah i know the award, must be performing well if hes up for it. Have always wanted Iker at United, my favourite player after Schmeichel (I'm a goalie see) so if De Gea is as highly rated then maybe we should make a move.

Just something about Akinfeev bothers me, I cant put my finger on it but i get the feeling he wouldn't be the right option.

Ochoa I've only seen on youtube, and once on TV when i was in Mexico, and he's an awesome shotstopper, commands his area well too, not sure on his kicking but he looks like he's going to be a really good keeper from what I've seen. Wouldn't surprise me if he moves to Spain in January/next Summer.

Best option for me is still Buffon, even with his recent injury/form issues, class is permenant.

Lloris, Gomes, Neuer etc are not good enough imo.

Last edited:
Will always be remembered as a legend in, not only my mind, but many a Manchester United fan.

Hopefully, he will have a place in the backroom staff.

Goalkeeping coach?

Yeah i know the award, must be performing well if hes up for it. Have always wanted Iker at United, my favourite player after Schmeichel (I'm a goalie see) so if De Gea is as highly rated then maybe we should make a move.

Just something about Akinfeev bothers me, I cant put my finger on it but i get the feeling he wouldn't be the right option.

Ochoa I've only seen on youtube, and once on TV when i was in Mexico, and he's an awesome shotstopper, commands his area well too, not sure on his kicking but he looks like he's going to be a really good keeper from what I've seen. Wouldn't surprise me if he moves to Spain in January/next Summer.

Best option for me is still Buffon, even with his recent injury/form issues, class is permenant.

I dont think that he would leave Juventus Jake, he went down with them, as for Del Piero and Trezeguet, so I only can imagine him ending his carreer at Juventus

Woud like to see one of Buffon or De Gea. I know Buffon is very open to a move to the prem, but would Juve let him go?
De Gea has a minium release clause of 17 million, steep, but worth it when you consider he would be first choice for next 12-15 years

Anyone know if Van Der Sar is willing to stay on and coach? you cant get a better goalkeeping role model than that

Great goalkeeper, great footballer. Brilliant career.

Will miss him.

I dont think that he would leave Juventus Jake, he went down with them, as for Del Piero and Trezeguet, so I only can imagine him ending his carreer at Juventus

They might not have a choice, if they dont make the Champions League again they may not be able to afford to keep him.

I have a feeling VDS will return to Holland to look after his wife, maybe in a few years he will coach at Ajax but I'm not sure about staying in Manchester.

They might not have a choice, if they dont make the Champions League again they may not be able to afford to keep him.

I have a feeling VDS will return to Holland to look after his wife, maybe in a few years he will coach at Ajax but I'm not sure about staying in Manchester.

He is an icon at Juventus, was there for the bad and good moments with a club, which shows that he is a great person and doesnt mind going to serie B, nontheless you make a good point, if they dont achieve CL football next season he may very well pack his bags out of Turin

What an icon! He surely should stay as a coach at Utd.He will be missed

I remember before United got VDS they were heavily linked with Seb Frey, he's got CL experience and is 30 could do a job for 5+ years so maybe ...

Man Utd just need to make sure they sign a proper replacement for VDS rather than what happened with the succession of dodgy 'keepers after Schmeichel left, because Kuszack (sp) isn't good enough imo.

If I was Ferguson, I'd sign De Gea and sign VDS as a goalkeeping coach to teach him how to be as professional as possible. Could potentially give Utd a solid foundation to build from, watching Arsenal shows you how important a solid keeper at the back is both for physically saving shots & for reassuring the defence.

If I was Ferguson, I'd sign De Gea and sign VDS as a goalkeeping coach to teach him how to be as professional as possible. Could potentially give Utd a solid foundation to build from, watching Arsenal shows you how important a solid keeper at the back is both for physically saving shots & for reassuring the defence.
aye its no conicidence we really started up again as a force once we signed VDS. At the highest level a top class keeper is the difference. He will make that key save that keeps in you a knockout CL game, or save you those 5-10 points over a season that makes the difference between 1st and 2nd place. We have got to get this right, more than any other position.

Abosolute legend of the game and one of the best keepers to set foot in Europe. Utd will have to replace him with a really good keeper because they will suffer without him and the standard of keepers they have as back-up at the moment are not good enough.

Back