Van der Sar tipped for retirement

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 77
  • Views Views 5K
As I said, I was judging it at the level United need to be their keeper. I am pretty certain he isn't and never will be good enough for United, and that's my opinion. I'm basing my opinion on talks with Fulham supporting and Leicester supporting fans who have seen him play regularly, as well as the performances I've seen him give. I can't be expected to watch every match he's ever played so that I can have an opinion on him, can

GodCubed said:
Dave Stockdale? The same Dave Stockdale who, at 25, isn't a good keeper and doesn't look like he will be either? The same Dave Stockdale who's spent most of his career in League 2?

I don't expect you to watch every game but you were clearly rubbishing him just because he played in League 2. If he wasn't a good keeper, he wouldn't be Fulham's number 2 and would still be playing in league 2. It is worth noting that he was about to called up for England before he was hit by injury earlier in the season hence the call up of Fielding and Loach. It was due to Robbo turning down the call up and Stockdale being injured. Stockdale is not there yet but I think he will be.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...prise-England-call-up-from-Fabio-Capello.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/28/fabio-capello-david-stockdale-england

I think this is where keepers will be next season (this is completely hyperthetical(sp) i have nothing to base this on)

De Gea(no1) and Lindegaard (no2) - United (worth taking the risk on both i think)
Akinfeev (no1) and Schwarzer (no2/coach)- Arsenal
Buffon - Barca/Juve
Valdes - At. Madrid
Almunia - Wolves/Newcastle/Fulham
Given - Fulham/Liverpool
Reina - Juve/Barca
PIG - United (rotting)/West Brom/Aston Villa

Buffon will not leave Juve I reckon ... even when Juve got relegated to Serie B he still stayed with them with shows how loyal he is to the club, I am quite sure Fergie will look towards De Gea or maybe even Asenjo who was extremely talented when At Madrid signed him but his form has dipped.. Asmir Begovic anyone?

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

I think this is where keepers will be next season (this is completely hyperthetical(sp) i have nothing to base this on)

De Gea(no1) and Lindegaard (no2) - United (worth taking the risk on both i think)
Buffon - Barca/Juve
Valdes - At. Madrid
Given - Fulham/Liverpool
Reina - Juve/Barca

I dount Reina would go to Barca ... from what I hear, the Barca camp value Valdez highly cos he is a great keeper who has been unlucky with his international caps, it is worth noting that last season he did earn more cleen sheets than Casillas, the current Spain No. 1

Much as it pains me to say it, imo United have let a bargain slip in Artur Boruc. He moved to Fiorentina four about 1.5 million, and tbh for that money Fiorentina have got themselves a world class keeper.

United? As in Manchester United?

Don't get me wrong, Artur Boruc is a great goalkeeper and his time at Celtic Park justifies that but I am sure that Kuszczak and Van der Sar were much easier options.

Buffon will not leave Juve I reckon ... even when Juve got relegated to Serie B he still stayed with them with shows how loyal he is to the club, I am quite sure Fergie will look towards De Gea or maybe even Asenjo who was extremely talented when At Madrid signed him but his form has dipped.. Asmir Begovic anyone?

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

I dount Reina would go to Barca ... from what I hear, the Barca camp value Valdez highly cos he is a great keeper who has been unlucky with his international caps, it is worth noting that last season he did earn more cleen sheets than Casillas, the current Spain No. 1

yeah i don't think Valdes is **** i just don't think Reina will stay a liverpool beyond this season and i was trying to think where he would go - instantly think he'd join refa but Julio Cesar is probably better than Reina so would be no point in that move - maybe he could join AC Milan.. who knows

Begovic is likely to be Chelsea number two by January - he is NOT good enough to be United number one imo

i hope they get de gea for this reason, Casillas - 29 Valdés - 28 and Reina - 28

they are three great spanish keepers and will be the top goal keepers for spain for spain, De Gea is still to make his spanish first team debut, so if united sign him, he might get a brittish passport and be aloud to play for england (h) that would be cool lol

i hope they get de gea for this reason, casillas - 29 valdés - 28 and reina - 28

they are three great spanish keepers and will be the top goal keepers for spain for spain, de gea is still to make his spanish first team debut, so if united sign him, he might get a brittish passport and be aloud to play for england (h) that would be cool lol

lol that would be great but i think hart has got the england no1 jersey for years to come

yeah i don't think Valdes is **** i just don't think Reina will stay a liverpool beyond this season and i was trying to think where he would go - instantly think he'd join refa but Julio Cesar is probably better than Reina so would be no point in that move - maybe he could join AC Milan.. who knows

Begovic is likely to be Chelsea number two by January - he is NOT good enough to be United number one imo

Was thinking the same thing about Begovic ... Reina could possibly stay but if he does move I see him going to either AC Milan cos all the other major clubs in Europe have world-class keepers already

Inter Milan - Cesar

Juventus - Buffon

R.Madrid - Casillas

Barcelona - Valdez

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

i hope they get de gea for this reason, Casillas - 29 Valdés - 28 and Reina - 28

they are three great spanish keepers and will be the top goal keepers for spain for spain, De Gea is still to make his spanish first team debut, so if united sign him, he might get a brittish passport and be aloud to play for england (h) that would be cool lol

who knows u could be right ... I doubt he will get a Spanish First-Team debut anytime soon considering the likes of Valdez, Casillas and Reina around

Buffon - Barca/Juve
Valdes - At. Madrid
Given - Fulham/Liverpool
Reina - Juve/Barca
Reina wont leave Liverpool. when it comes to the owners he has been the most outspoken of all the players, and that includes the likes of Carragher and Gerrard. With this deal likely to go through, and Liverpool targeting 4 first team players, its almost certain he will stay.

Van der Sar has rubbished reports that he will retire this season, and Juve have done the same about Buffon leaving, so either thats a big smokescreen, or we are more likely to be looking at De Gea and Lindegaard in 2 seasons time, which fits in with what SAF said about spending large (he admits he will have to buy 3-4 top class players in the next 2 seasons)

De Gea and/or Lindegaard to replace VDS? Not a chance SAF will replace him with youngsters, look at his track record of signing/playing goalkeepers.

Buffon is much more likely but as an outside punt I'd suggest Maarten Stekelenburg.

United? As in Manchester United?

Don't get me wrong, Artur Boruc is a great goalkeeper and his time at Celtic Park justifies that but I am sure that Kuszczak and Van der Sar were much easier options.

Well I genuinely think he is as good as anyone on his day, and thats coming from someone who despises the very sight of him. He's proven against a high standard of opposition, in the Champions League, and is a regular international keeper. Granted there probably are better options, but none for anywhere near 2 million pound. It's all irrelevant anyway as Fiorentina won't let him go now. ;)

Utd well clearly just sign Iker. ;)

Problem solved.

Last edited:
lets sign all of them, and problem solved ^^.... u can all tel safa who should he put between posts :D

LINDEGAARD CONFIRMS MAN UTD INTEREST

http://www.sportinglife.com/footbal...cer/10/10/12/manual_140402.html&TEAMHD=soccer

Aalesunds goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard has confirmed Manchester United are one of the clubs chasing his signature.

The 26-year-old has been strongly linked with a move to Old Trafford in recent months.

It has been reported that Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson has identified Lindegaard as a possible new recruit and has had his goalkeeping coach Eric Steele watch him in action.

The scouting missions have seen positive reviews sent back to Old Trafford, and an offer has been reported to be imminent.

Lindegaard's current employers are bracing themselves for bids in January.

And Lindegaard said: "There are a lot of rumours in the press about the clubs interested in me, but some of them are actually quite accurate. And yes, it is Manchester United.

"I know there is interest from United, it is not just coming from the press."

David De Gea looks a good shout and shouldn't cost too much I also heard Man U have got thier tabs on Hazard.
If we do get De Gea VDS would need to finish the season as I don't think a 19 year old can be a Prem winning goalie immediately.
He was solid For A.Madrid last season.
If not DDG then maybe Stelkenbeerg.

top goal keeper and a real legend of the game

I've seen a lot of De Gea and he is top class. It's shocking how well he performs considering his age. Haven't seen anything of Lindegaard

Only seen Lindergaard once and that was when Portugal beat Denmark 3-1 and he came on as a sub early on.

He looked a very, very good shot stopper although he conceded 2. I'd be very happy if he were to join, but of course that's an opinion off one match. If I was judging goalkeepers off one match then I'd want Gilks (Blackpool keeper) for his performance vs Man City/Liverpool :)

Back