Van der Sar tipped for retirement

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 77
  • Views Views 5K
Great player, I think Sir Alex will go for some one like .... ME!

I remember before United got VDS they were heavily linked with Seb Frey, he's got CL experience and is 30 could do a job for 5+ years so maybe ...

Man Utd just need to make sure they sign a proper replacement for VDS rather than what happened with the succession of dodgy 'keepers after Schmeichel left, because Kuszack (sp) isn't good enough imo.

:wub: Frey

aye its no conicidence we really started up again as a force once we signed VDS. At the highest level a top class keeper is the difference. He will make that key save that keeps in you a knockout CL game, or save you those 5-10 points over a season that makes the difference between 1st and 2nd place. We have got to get this right, more than any other position.
I completelly agree, man.

Let's see who Feguson looks for.

i would like to see stockdale because im a fulham fan but he needs 1st team experience wich is why i wont shwarcher out of the club or maybe even de gea

i would like to see stockdale because im a fulham fan but he needs 1st team experience wich is why i wont shwarcher out of the club or maybe even de gea

Dave Stockdale? The same Dave Stockdale who, at 25, isn't a good keeper and doesn't look like he will be either? The same Dave Stockdale who's spent most of his career in League 2?

Dave Stockdale? The same Dave Stockdale who, at 25, isn't a good keeper and doesn't look like he will be either? The same Dave Stockdale who's spent most of his career in League 2?

The same Stockdale who started the first few games this season and only injury prevented him from staying number one and this injury prevented Schwarzer moving to Arsenal.

And as for League 2, Joe Hart comes from League 2 and he isn't a half bad player.

uuuuh, nobody mentioned Maarten Stekelenburg? He has the same talent for sure

well said jack just wait till shwarcherz has gon to arsenal and fulham's new number and as jack said JOE hart came from shrewsbury so .....

The same Stockdale who started the first few games this season and only injury prevented him from staying number one and this injury prevented Schwarzer moving to Arsenal.

And as for League 2, Joe Hart comes from League 2 and he isn't a half bad player.

Joe Hart came from League 2 at the age of 19, when it was apparent that he was a superb young talent. Stockdale came when he was what, 23, 24? By the age of 24, a keeper will need to show some pretty fine skills if he is to take up the No. 1 shirt in one of the top European clubs. Akinfeev, for example, is a superb keeper at the age of 24. Hart is very very good at just 23. De Gea, even younger, is quality. VDS had won the UEFA cup by the age of 22.

If Stockdale was really that good, he would have been snapped up by a large club far earlier, rather than being (admittedly, only from what I hear) a solid but unspectacular keeper. He has, what, another three, four years maximum of improvement time before he's considered to have reached his peak. He's going to have to progress at a rate unseen to humankind to become good enough to play keeper for United, let alone come close to replacing Van der Sar.

Joe Hart came from League 2 at the age of 19, when it was apparent that he was a superb young talent. Stockdale came when he was what, 23, 24? By the age of 24, a keeper will need to show some pretty fine skills if he is to take up the No. 1 shirt in one of the top European clubs. Akinfeev, for example, is a superb keeper at the age of 24. Hart is very very good at just 23. De Gea, even younger, is quality. VDS had won the UEFA cup by the age of 22.

If Stockdale was really that good, he would have been snapped up by a large club far earlier, rather than being (admittedly, only from what I hear) a solid but unspectacular keeper. He has, what, another three, four years maximum of improvement time before he's considered to have reached his peak. He's going to have to progress at a rate unseen to humankind to become good enough to play keeper for United, let alone come close to replacing Van der Sar.

I never said he was good enough for Manchester United but I will happily defend him, you seem to shrug him aside by saying "he isn't a good keeper and never will be". Bit early to judge a keeper at the age of 24-25. He has way more than 3-4 improvement time, keepers keep improving into there 30's. I'm sure you've only ever seen Stockdale on match of the day though so yeah you must be right.

In jacks defence, some good players started in the lower leagues....

Ian Wright- Dulwich Hamlet
John Barnes- Watford
Lee Dixon- Burnley
Gordon Banks- Chesterfield

I never said he was good enough for Manchester United but I will happily defend him, you seem to shrug him aside by saying "he isn't a good keeper and never will be". Bit early to judge a keeper at the age of 24-25. He has way more than 3-4 improvement time, keepers keep improving into there 30's. I'm sure you've only ever seen Stockdale on match of the day though so yeah you must be right.

The standard of "good keeper" I am using in this case is one that is good enough to play for United, seeing as this, after all, is what we are discussing. As far as I can see, he isn't and probably won't be good enough to play for United.

Sure keepers keep improving into their 30s, but the rate of improvement is minimal compared to earlier in their careers. Technically you aren't going to be getting much better. Mentally you probably are, but tecnically probably not. Whilst you're still improving, it's far slower than otherwise.

And yeah, the typical "Oh but you've only seen him on MOTD" comment. Honestly, I expect more from someone as reasonable as yourself. If you wish to voice the same opinions on Bradley Guzan, Friedel's understudy, I may politely disagree (or not, considering his lack of potential) and cite examples. I will not, however, assume you know less about it because you don't support the club he plays for. For your information, the only reason I'd ever heard of him was because my close friend supports Leicester City and we go to the games. I went with him twice last year, to see the foxes play, and both times he was between the sticks, so maybe I'm not quite as clueless as first thought.

In jacks defence, some good players started in the lower leagues....

Ian Wright- Dulwich Hamlet
John Barnes- Watford
Lee Dixon- Burnley
Gordon Banks- Chesterfield

I'm not saying the lower leagues don't produce players, I'm saying it's very rare for good players to come up from the lower leagues later on in their career and do well. Ian Wright was still relatively early, at 21, Banks was 22. Barnes and Dixon are both illustrious examples of players coming relatively late in their careers, it's true, but they're rare. This is rather off-topic, anyway.

Last edited:
Stockdale is not, and will not, be a good enough keeper for United.

Joe hart was a prodigy from 18 and at 23 is miles ahead of stockdale, as are De Gea, Akinfeev, Lindegaard. even PIG is a better keeper. United arent just looking a for good keeper, they are looking for one of the best.

Last edited:
Lets face it lads, United aren't gonna sign Stockdale :S

apparently that Lindegaard had a good game tonight against portugal - and lets face it last time fergie signed a scandinavian keeper he wasn't too bad :P

would like de gea, from what i've seen he looks the real deal and if 17 mil is his buyout then to me that is a bargain for 12-15 years service as was said earlier.

Buffon would be a dream but if juve had to sell then he'd probably end up at barca...

After watching the Ireland game tonight I don't want Akinfeev at United, he seemed to flap at everything in the air, easy crosses to catch he'd punch instead and generally didn't fill me confidence.

And yeah, the typical "Oh but you've only seen him on MOTD" comment. Honestly, I expect more from someone as reasonable as yourself.

Well I'd thought you'd be more reasonable than "Stockdale will never be a good keeper" when he is only 25 but hey obviously not. As Cooper didn't say he was good enough for Man United at the moment, he said he needed more first team experience which is true, still though, rubbishing a player you've only seen two games is ridiculous. Stockdale will probably be first team keeper when Schwarzer forces his way put in January or at the end of the season so you're probably better off reserving your judgement til then.

After watching the Ireland game tonight I don't want Akinfeev at United, he seemed to flap at everything in the air, easy crosses to catch he'd punch instead and generally didn't fill me confidence.

I think a lot of people judge Akinfeev by his FM stats rather because not many people watch the Russian league.

Well I'd thought you'd be more reasonable than "Stockdale will never be a good keeper" when he is only 25 but hey obviously not. As Cooper didn't say he was good enough for Man United at the moment, he said he needed more first team experience which is true, still though, rubbishing a player you've only seen two games is ridiculous. Stockdale will probably be first team keeper when Schwarzer forces his way put in January or at the end of the season so you're probably better off reserving your judgement til then.

As I said, I was judging it at the level United need to be their keeper. I am pretty certain he isn't and never will be good enough for United, and that's my opinion. I'm basing my opinion on talks with Fulham supporting and Leicester supporting fans who have seen him play regularly, as well as the performances I've seen him give. I can't be expected to watch every match he's ever played so that I can have an opinion on him, can I?

I'll be the judge of whether I should reserve my judgement on him, thanks. I stand by my statement, so as to not go even more off-topic: David Stockdale will never make a United-standard keeper.

apparently that Lindegaard had a good game tonight against portugal - and lets face it last time fergie signed a scandinavian keeper he wasn't too bad :P

would like de gea, from what i've seen he looks the real deal and if 17 mil is his buyout then to me that is a bargain for 12-15 years service as was said earlier.

Buffon would be a dream but if juve had to sell then he'd probably end up at barca...
trivaldo i should add that the 17 million is in euros as well, so thats about £14.8 million. akinfeev loked nervy in the russia game because the defences in front of him is a currently a shambles to be honest. has been good for cska and in the cl when we were up against him. would still prefer De Gea, or Buffon if we could

Much as it pains me to say it, imo United have let a bargain slip in Artur Boruc. He moved to Fiorentina four about 1.5 million, and tbh for that money Fiorentina have got themselves a world class keeper.

Back