Want to get an Extremely Solid Defense?

Reggaezal

Reaction score
Ok, so i have been tweaking around FM10 and i realised that my theory works even on fm 10, i had played fm08 and fm09 using this defensive theory and conceeded less than 15 goals a season.

Basically my 2 centrebacks have this strange combination that works perfectly. But the centrebacks have to have good attributes of heading, first touch, aggression, tackling and etc. They only need to have the key attributes, Pace, acceleration, passing and etc. are not important.

So the formula is one defender man marks, while the other marks zonal. Both must have tight marking on. How it works? Defender A sticks onto forwards whilst Defender B marks players who come into that area of the field. And during this marking, through balls are snuffed out by the zonal marker, and oncoming player runs are stopped and intercepted by the Man marker.

Simple yet effective. Both defenders are normal centreback with defend duty, not ball playing,sweeper or etc.

Try it and please let me know if it doesnt work, i want to perfect my centreback pairing.

Closing down,mentality and creative freedom are the same levels, which is 4 or 5.

could you upload it instead...and what team did you try it with

He's just giving advice for CB pairing for better defense which can be implemented into tactics you are building yourself

Oh and thanks for sharing this, it sounds interesting, I'll try it and let you know how it goes

yeah i tried it but its my fullbacks who are now causing me problems..after half a season there have an average of about 6.60..so just wondering what your settings are for full backs

Hey man I'll post up my two main centre backs give me a rough idea how well it could work with these two.

Fullbacks do not really matter as much as my theory is only for the Centreback partnership. Depending on your tactics, a fullback should have his usual amount of defending. And if you play a regular 4-4-2 like i do, you would have a defensive minded midfielder to help sort out your defense.

But just to clear it up, my fullbacks are on zonal marking, no tightmarking and have Closing down, and mentality 10.

Also UKMACKIE, it seems that Bougherra has better marking and overall stats and hence i would say let bougherra be the Man Marker and Wilson to be the zonal marker.

Sorry guys i cant post up any tactics at the moment, busy with work but im only stating the 2 centerbacks settings so the rest of the setting doesnt matter. And also my theory works best with a 4 man defense of 2 centre backs and 2 fullbacks.

i will list down the few clubs i have successfully tried my theory on:

English clubs, Manchester United, Everton, Spurs, Birmingham, Derby, Watford, QPR.

Dutch clubs, Ajax, Feyenoord, Twente, Groningen

Spanish clubs, Real madrid, Athletico madrid, Almeria, Racing, Athletico Bilbao

Italian clubs, AC milan, Fiorentina, Parma, Juventus, Genoa, Bologna

German clubs, Bayern munich, Bayern Leverkusen, Wolfsburg, Borrusia Dortmund, Gladbach

French clubs, Valencieness, Marseille, Monaco

(The results mainly vary in number of goals conceded as the better the players the less goals conceded.) And sorry if i mis-spelled any of the clubs,im at my workplace at the moment, and my friends helped me test most of them so please post up stats of your defenders and the club you play for so i can help you better.

Do you think you could upload your tactic?

ok ok, i dont see the point since im only talking about my centrebacks but let me get my mate to upload it. Will be up in 20minutes.

Here they are, Also do not mind the players i am using, it works for many other players, its just that the better the defender the better he performs.

Last edited:
ive got Jagielka, Wheater and Naldo , all have around 16-17 marking and tackling etc. i desperatley need to stop conceding goals as it is killing my premierleague title challenge so ill give it a bash

after ten games with my Southport team ill post screenshots of results and my defenders performances if it helps?

Last edited:
This really does work! Thank you very much. I'm Ac Milan and I was conceding lots of goals and this really works. Thank you thank you!

trying with ath madrid, and its working well, tho will try again with a lower team and will see, cheers

This really does work! Thank you very much. I'm Ac Milan and I was conceding lots of goals and this really works. Thank you thank you!

Great to hear that :)

Ok, so if you guys want more helps post up the player attributes screenshot like what some users did, so i can tell you which player is a better man marker and which player is a better zonal marker.

One more thing, i have to strongly re enforce this statement, The better your defender is, the less goals you will concede , IN NORMAL PLAY. if you concede goals through freekicks,penalties and set pieces this is natural and only your set pieces are to blame.

I think i have ironed out any existing flaws, but if it doesnt work for specific teams please give me more details so i can help.

i will list down the few clubs i have successfully tried my theory on:

English clubs, Spurs,

(The results mainly vary in number of goals conceded as the better the players the less goals conceded.) And sorry if i mis-spelled any of the clubs,im at my workplace at the moment, and my friends helped me test most of them so please post up stats of your defenders and the club you play for so i can help you better.

What CB's did you use with spurs my options are:

GK:Gomes/Hart/

RB:Corluka/ Hutton/Naughton

LB: Mattock/Bassong

CB Woodgate/Dawson/Bassong/Corluka and if needed Rodwell/Papadopolous

at the moment i'm playing the liverpool 4-2-3-1 and am losing games 4-3 or 5-4

What CB's did you use with spurs my options are:

GK:Gomes/Hart/

RB:Corluka/ Hutton/Naughton

LB: Mattock/Bassong

CB Woodgate/Dawson/Bassong/Corluka and if needed Rodwell/Papadopolous

at the moment i'm playing the liverpool 4-2-3-1 and am losing games 4-3 or 5-4

Get a screenshot of your centerbacks' attributes and post it here so i can be more specific, when i used spurs woodgate was very off-form and bassong was injured.

For LB, what did you do to Gareth bale? And your rightback has to be corluka.

Depend on tactic... if he use offside trap, Naughton its better because the pace and acceleration advantage...