Raikan007

Reaction score
Wayne Rooney:
The New Paul Scholes

wayne-rooney-2013-wallpaper.jpg

Ever since Paul Scholes retired (for a relatively short time) a few seasons United were on the lookout for a replacement for the brilliant Scholes, back then no one took Michael Carrick seriously (well except for me as I always have and hopefully always will) with Anderson running around like a blue arsed fly and being permanently injured! Cleverley just arrived back from being on loan but used in a much wider position at Wigan...

I have said it for years now that Rooney has all the attributes to become a fantastic midfielder and since the arrival of RVP, he has not had the pressure on him to score week in week out which will allow him to play with a bit more freedom and relaxation, hence the CM role is perfectly suited to him from now and til the end of his career!

We have quality strikers and rumors are flying around we are looking to bring in Lewondowski or Falcao so the fact that competition is going to be very high Rooney might have to consider dropping to the CM role as he has mentioned in the past that it is something he wants to do in the future, I feel the time is now! Use the last several games of the season to play Rooney and let him get used to it for next season, this will also save us from having to spend a large sum of cash on a quality midfielder...

Wayne Rooney's FM career at CM:

View attachment 331198View attachment 331197View attachment 331199

In my first game against QPR at Old Trafford (having Rooney retrain to CM which only took about 2 weeks for him to become accomplished) he started off as the DLP (right hand Cm in my 442)

He was a pivotal figure in the midfield with 85 passes (I am not making a possession tactic at all, its a controlled attacking 442 with AP's and IF's) with a 91.8% completion rate racking up 2 key passes
in the process

I will update my progress as I go along when Rooney starts or subs in as CM which I am going to try to do most of the time.

I hope this makes interesting reading to a degree and please feel free to comment or ask anything, cheers.

Neil

Reading vs Man United:

View attachment 331201View attachment 331200

In a good 4:1 win away at a resillient Reading team, Rooney was in good form scoring 2 goals, one from open play arriving late from a cross by RVP to tap it home from just outside the 6 yard box and the 2nd from the penalty spot.

As I was playing my 433 (with DM) tactic away from home, he had Carrick behind him with Scholes next to him in the centre, so the passing was shared amongst the players. He still managed one key pass with an 85% pass completion rate.

3 interceptions which is pretty decent for an attacking type of midfielder with a 50% tackle win ratio.. (2:1) with headers won/attempted at 50% as well.

Man United vs Swansea:

View attachment 331240View attachment 331239

A good solid performance from Rooney (and the team again) however this time Rooney's passing was not as accurate as it has been for the past few games, a 74% pass completion rate is not his best! He did however create 3 key passes, one lead to one of the goals.

This was in an advanced playmaking type of position in the 3 man midfield as in the previous game.

He did however win 8/9 headers coupled with two interecptions. He only had one shot at goal which was from way out and was quite far off target as well.

Rooney's stats so far:

View attachment 331254

View attachment 331253

Rooney has all the right PPM's:

View attachment 331255

Wayne Rooney also possess the PPM's that suit a deeper lying playmaker or advanced playmaker..

I would suggest trying to teach him the following if possible:

• [*=center]Dictates tempo

[*=center]Tries killer balls

so is this going to be a tac to play roo as a cm or just to see how he does at cm? i have him as a cm on my man u save and he playes very well but just changed my tac so put him back to st and hes scoring for fun so dont know what to think now lol but nice post mate

it could be both lol :) I have a new tactic I am working on (its actually uploaded here) well the one I am using along with a new 442 I created and my new Dortmund recreation tactic.

its just to show how Rooney can play in CM in the game and hopefully in real life too!

its also a discussion thread, so feel free to post up your Rooney playing in the Cm position etc, any hints and tips as well :)

so what kind of cm do you think he would be best at the kind that sits and play killer balls or 1 that come from deep to get a few goals or a bit of both cos i have never seen him as a out and out st like rvp is

I saw that you have him as MC in previous threads and i was " dumb ***, with Kagawa he can do that and keep Rooney in the front to score".

But this is not so simple. In my save, year 2017, Rooney is doing the same that he did in the 1st year, where i played with just one striker: scoring lots of goals, but in the middle, playing 442, he disappears!! I only noticed him for the red cards! ****, Welbeck was better!!

So, i have to say that this is one of the best redesigns of a player in FM! I did the same with Bale, putting him in the middle along McCarthy and Wilshere.

So, you play RVP and Welbeck in front?

so what kind of cm do you think he would be best at the kind that sits and play killer balls or 1 that come from deep to get a few goals or a bit of both cos i have never seen him as a out and out st like rvp is

sits deeper as his PPM's drops deeper and not arrive late in box :)

I play him as DLP - support/defend away from home and then an AP - support against sides with weaker mids, somewhere he can dominate!

I saw that you have him as MC in previous threads and i was " dumb ***, with Kagawa he can do that and keep Rooney in the front to score".

But this is not so simple. In my save, year 2017, Rooney is doing the same that he did in the 1st year, where i played with just one striker: scoring lots of goals, but in the middle, playing 442, he disappears!! I only noticed him for the red cards! ****, Welbeck was better!!

So, i have to say that this is one of the best redesigns of a player in FM! I did the same with Bale, putting him in the middle along McCarthy and Wilshere.

So, you play RVP and Welbeck in front?

yeah I did it in Fm12 already :) hahahaha!

At the moment I am playing 1 striker, RVP as a DLF who drops deeper and looks to play it out wide then pushes forward and arrives for crosses or he holds it up and allows the mids to get close, lays it off and makes forward runs for the through ball

I play RVP (same role as above) and Hernandez as an AF when using my 442

Started playing him at cm on my Utd save now and again done pretty well last game in a 6-2 win over Manchester City he played at cm got an 8.2 rating and managed to score :)

I've been saying for ages now that since rooney has had the pressure of being a striker lifted, his game has actually improved substantially and he's getting back into the form he once enjoyed at everton. He has the passing, the tackling and the teamwork to get it done. I love him as a CAM, but was starting to lose patience with him as a striker.

One of the best moves fergie has done in a long while.

yeah I did it in Fm12 already :) hahahaha!

At the moment I am playing 1 striker, RVP as a DLF who drops deeper and looks to play it out wide then pushes forward and arrives for crosses or he holds it up and allows the mids to get close, lays it off and makes forward runs for the through ball

I play RVP (same role as above) and Hernandez as an AF when using my 442

RVP for me was a total failure and Hernandez had to go, since he does not meet the requirements to play in Man Utd ( British, Irish or Portuguese), but from the 3, Hernandez is the best along the Chilean kid, don't remember the name now.

RVP for me was a total failure and Hernandez had to go, since he does not meet the requirements to play in Man Utd ( British, Irish or Portuguese), but from the 3, Hernandez is the best along the Chilean kid, don't remember the name now.

Angelo Henriquez?

Started playing him at cm on my Utd save now and again done pretty well last game in a 6-2 win over Manchester City he played at cm got an 8.2 rating and managed to score :)

very nice mate :)

West Brom vs Man United:

westbromvsmanutd.png

View attachment 331555View attachment 331556

A comfortable 2:0 win away from home which saw Rooney rack up 32 completed passes, only 76% completion rate though, which is a little low... He was not allowed too much time and space on the ball, the West Brom team pressed very, very well...

Long range shooting as well, not the best, but still rusty as he is only a few games into the season

Man United vs Fc Nordsjaelland:

View attachment 331554View attachment 331553View attachment 331552

Now this was a majestic midfield display from Rooney and the team as a whole (this is using my new Borussia Dortmund recreation tactic)

Rooney was on the ball more than anyone else with 67 completed passes and a 87% pass completion rate which is 10% better than his previous two games..

Rooney scored twice, one from a header from a deep cross and the other from open play with a good deft finish as well as setting up a goal too! a 9.5 match rating, his best yet!

This performance consisted of 4 interceptions (2 more than Darren Fletcher and 1 less than Jones)

I have requested that he learns tries long range passes (this coupled with switches ball to flanks) is exactly what I am after! hoping he sweeps the ball from left to right as he does in real life and as does Scholes :)

I doubt he will learn it though as he has quite a few already..

I've been saying for ages now that since rooney has had the pressure of being a striker lifted, his game has actually improved substantially and he's getting back into the form he once enjoyed at everton. He has the passing, the tackling and the teamwork to get it done. I love him as a CAM, but was starting to lose patience with him as a striker.

One of the best moves fergie has done in a long while.

Not sure this is true at all. Both seasons he played as a full striker he scored over 30 goals and loved it.

He has played one game as a CM, against a pretty awful Stoke; to say that its one of SAF's best moves is seriously overstating it.

The bold certainly isnt true at all. Rooney was never that prolific there.

Yet to be seen if he has the positioning to do it against far tougher sides.