We are the Super Eagles: A Nigeria Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
attachment.php

Nigeria beat Ghana... And get Argentina
Nigeria finally got one over on Ghana, the team that knocked them out of the African Cup of Nations over 6 months ago. Now the only African team left in the first tournament held in Africa, all hope lies on their shoulders, but either way they've done the continent proud by beating Spain and getting this far.

Yobo, Taiwo and Okoronkwo got the goals for Nigeria, and Derek Boateng only got a consolation goal in the last minute against Nigeria

View attachment 84061 View attachment 84062 View attachment 84063
A very happy Nigerian supporter, Enyeama after the last minute goal by Ghana and just after the third goal went in a Nigerian player celebrating with his team-mate

View attachment 84058
View attachment 84059
View attachment 84060

Good luck against the Argies and WD on progressing

Thanks will do an update tomorrow so I have something to look forward to tomorrow instead of school.. :D

attachment.php

Nigeria lose on penalties to South American giants
Fans across the world have witnessed the first penalty shootout of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, and Argentina have won it, despite not having full control in the match. Nigeria played very well and shut out their opponents, and world class winger Lionel Messi looked dorment in the game thanks to brilliant anchoring by Chelsea defensive-midfielder John Obi Mikel. Nigeria must now focus on qualifying for the 2012 African Cup of Nations, and 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying which is to be held in Brazil. Nigeria travel to South Korea to play their next match which is a friendly in 63 days, but no friendlies have been confirmed before or after that game.

View attachment 84220 View attachment 84221 View attachment 84222 View attachment 84223 View attachment 84224
Left: Rivals, Everton's Yakubu tussling with Liverpool's Mascherano
Left Centre: Messi frustrated at his lack of chances
Centre Centre: Fulham's Dickson Etuhu and Lionel Messi
Right Centre: Messi on the ball with Obasi covering
Right: Nigeria and Argentina fans mingling in South Africa

View attachment 84225
View attachment 84226
View attachment 84227
View attachment 84228
View attachment 84229

You've done yourself proud there mate. Now, are you staying on or leaving?

You've done yourself proud there mate. Now, are you staying on or leaving?

I gave myself a professional footballer reputation, so I will apply for the Spain job or Brazil etc, the underachievers, and if by some magic I get offered the job, I'll put a poll up to ask everyone what I should do, but I'm content at Nigeria and it can only get better right ;)

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

attachment.php

Nigeria announce 26 potential players to face Angola in friendly

After a great World Cup for the African nation, getting to the Quarter Finals of the tournament and being beaten on penalties by the eventual winners, Nigeria take on Angola and Chris Waring has named his squad who will travel a short distance to the capital of Angola to take on, well, Angola.

Goalkeepers
Vincent Enyeama
Austin Ejide
Dele Aiyenugba

Defenders
Joseph Yobo
Taye Taiwo
Onyekachi Apam
Elliot Omozusi
Uwa Echiajile
Isaac Okoronkwo
Dele Adeleye
Danny Shittu
Ayila Yussuf

Midfielders
John Obi Mikel
Femi Ajilore
Dickson Etuhu
Wilson Oruma
Lukman Haruna
Onyekachi Onkonkwo
Christian Obodo

Strikers
Ideye Brown
Yakubu
Obafemi Martins
John Utaka
Victor Obinna
Victor Anichebe
Chinedu Obasi
Peter Odemwingie

Waring has recalled Christian Obodo, Danny Shittu, Austin Ejide and Dele Aiyenugba, whilst giving Ideye Brown and Ayila Yussuf their chance of a first cap for Nigeria. Obafemi Martins has also returned from injury after a torn hamstring ruled him out of the 23 man World Cup side, but has excluded Chidi Odiah, preferring young Elliott Omozusi in his place. Waring is looking to 'experiment' in the friendly, and the FIFA World Rankings have placed Nigeria 74 places ahead of ACON 2010 hosts Angola, Nigeria in 10th place while Angola sit in a disappointing 84th.

19210.jpg
nigeria_obafemi_martins.jpg

Left, Chidi Odiah who has been excluded and right, the recalled Obafemi Martins in action for Nigeria

attachment.php

Nigeria 'reserves' crush Angola
Nigeria beat Angola by 3 goals to 1 in front of over 40 thousand fans on a sunny evening in Abuja, Nigeria. They played their 'reserve' side, to help the manager see what the backup could do against a good African team, and boy, did they show what they could do by winning 3-1. Victor Anichebe was man of the match in the friendly, after scoring a goal and giving a solid performance. The 22 year old is currently transfer listed at Everton, but has won 10 caps for Nigeria, scoring 4 goals which is a record that is alot better than Nwankwo Kanu!

View attachment 84271

My thoughts: Good game which we deserved to win and did win, it just proves that even a weaker side would be better than top 84 in the world. Many members of the team were younger than 23, so our side is looking good for the future too

In other news, the FIFA World Rankings have been released, and Nigeria have moved from 34th place to 9th place in just over a year, thanks to the guidance of manager Chris Waring, and obviously the creative performances from the players the Nation wants to see.

View attachment 84272

attachment.php

African Cup of Nations qualifying groups announced
Nigeria have a very easy group, with the hardest team to face Guinea in the African Cup of Nations Qualifying 2012 Group D. The other teams are Mauritius and Equatorial Guinea. The first game will be played on the 4th of September, meaning the friendly against South Korea will be cancelled.

attachment.php

Injury-ravaged Nigeria name squad
Nigeria have named their 26 man squad, which misses out key players like Chidi Odiah and Seyi Olofinjana who miss through injury.

Goalkeepers
Vincent Enyeama
Austin Ejide
Dele Aiyenugba

Defenders
Joseph Yobo
Taye Taiwo
Yussuf Mohammed
Elliot Omozusi
Uwa Echiajile
Isaac Okoronkwo
Dele Adeleye
Danny Shittu
Ayila Yussuf

Midfielders
John Obi Mikel
Femi Ajilore
Dickson Etuhu
Wilson Oruma
Lukman Haruna
Onyekachi Onkonkwo
Christian Obodo
Chukwuma Akabueze

Strikers
Ideye Brown
Yakubu
Obafemi Martins
John Utaka
Victor Anichebe
Chinedu Obasi

I decided to recall Chukwuma Akabueze for Seyi Olofinjana and Yussuf Mohammed for Victor Obinna due to injuries, and I probably will play them in the next game due to the lack of quality the opposition have.

I'm going to stop this now, thanks to those who followed but I'd like to try my hand at club management and different challenges instead of this story, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.