Wenger dealt fresh Vermaelen blow

Out till March Now :'( WENGER BUY A CB NOW OR WE WIN NOTHING

Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen will undergo surgery on his Achilles tendon in Sweden on Tuesday and will be out of action for a further six weeks. Vermaelen, 25, has not played for the Gunners since 28 August after picking up the injury playing for Belgium.
"It's a little tendon beside the Achilles tendon which is provoking the irritation," said the Belgian defender.
Last week Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said he wanted to bring in cover for Vermaelen during the transfer window.
"We're in a situation where we have to look around," Wenger told the Arsenal website.
But the Frenchman has not been in touch with Newcastle about the availability of former Arsenal and England centre-half Sol Campbell.
It had been reported that Wenger was considering bringing back the 36-year-old for a third spell at Arsenal following the injuries to Vermaelen and Sebastien Squillaci, who hurt his hamstring in the 1-1 FA Cup third-round draw with Leeds on 8 January.
"Sol Campbell is at Newcastle. We have not been in touch with him, no," said Wenger.
Wenger had cautiously hoped Vermaelen, who was injured while playing for Belgium in a Euro 2012 qualifier in Turkey on 7 September, might have returned in late January.

Fkn Rosicky all over again.

See you next season TV :'(

Bad news for Arsenal and surely it will be a blow to their title hopes but they have been without him since August so he hasn't been a big part in title challenge so far.

Yeh i dont think he will play again :'(
he may be on the bench in april/may but no starts

**** off and grow up CJ.

Lol, Just lol. What do you want him to say, " Oh **** it, Arsenal have just got weaker" Think about it

Don't understand this "Samba to Arsenal" stuff - He's completely the opposite to what Wenger looks for. he has next to no technical ability and is just a tank, he's not even that good IMO.

He is a great defender. Very strong and could be just what you need, a no nonsense tank

knowing Wenger he will go for some random out of the french league :S

knowing Wenger he will go for some random out of the french league :S
He has already said he wants someone experienced in the EPL who can come straight in and play at a high level.

what we need is someone big strong and more importantly can communicate and organise the whole defence like the old days Adams, Keown, Bould, Campbell. Everyone says we got **** defenders but IMO they good but they play as individuals. So I want a proper old fashion defender NOT a footballer.
Cahill ?

I have a sneaking suspicion, Wenger will not buy anyone. He's gonna put a 10m bid in for Cahill, it will get rejected. Unless Cahill makes a fuss we wont get him. He'll put in a 5mil (?) bid in for Samba it will get rejected. I just hope Wenger realises, this is not the sort of situation where we can depend on youth to come through, we desperately need a new defender...

I think Gary Cahill suits Arsenal. He has good passing skills for a CB and a very decent goal threat. I read even Chelsea are going for him.

Vermaelen is a top centre, we need him . Squalicci is a fail like Calum said.
C'mon TV5

Breaking News on SSN

Out for the season :'(

Breaking News on SSN

Out for the season :'(

Eh? I know his injury has been dealt with, but having missed the whole season already, I imagine he's struggling for fitness and may have picked up a more minor injury that AW doesn't want to aggrevate.

As well as Vermaelen being ruled out for the season, Djourou will be out for at least six weeks. Will certainly soften the blow of Rio's injury.