Wenger dealt fresh Vermaelen blow

Eh? I know his injury has been dealt with, but having missed the whole season already, I imagine he's struggling for fitness and may have picked up a more minor injury that AW doesn't want to aggrevate.

HE's had 6 relapses. Achilles injuries are very hard to shake off and recurrances are common, even years after the original injury.

As well as Vermaelen being ruled out for the season, Djourou will be out for at least six weeks. Will certainly soften the blow of Rio's injury.

Yeah you at least have Smalling and maybe Brown

we have squlacci :(:'( and some spanish teenager :(:'(

It might be appropriate to mention that Arsenal.com's outrageously indiscreet publicity around Ignasi Miquel suggests he may be preferred to Squillaci for now.

[COLOR=#00e0]---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------[/COLOR]

HE's had 6 relapses. Achilles injuries are very hard to shake off and recurrances are common, even years after the original injury.

Really? Six relapses? I know he was struggling for fitness and Arsenal spent a while not really knowing what the problem was but that's amazingly unfortunate.

(All this year -- 2010/11?)

Wenger surely has to go out in the summer and buy a proven centre back, what be stupid not to.

Wenger surely has to go out in the summer and buy a proven centre back, what be stupid not to.

No chance unfortunatly of that happenng as he just signed Seb Squilacci so he wont sell him and he seems to want to promote Miguel up to the first team

OH right. We get two LT injuries to our best 2 CBs, have the third best defensive record in the league, and yet we need to go out and but ANOTHER CB. 4 is enough: Vermaelen, Koscielny, Djourou, Squillaci/Bartley/Miquel - Are Utd going to buy another proven CB? Utd proved how much they miss their two best CBs against Liverpool - Except your cover is 18 YO Smalling (However good he has been, though poor vs Liverpool and gave away pen vs Chelsea shows a lack of exp. coming through IMO) and then Brown and O'Shea...

It's probably not going to happen - You're right, Calum. But it won't happen because evidently it doesn't need to.. Squillaci was signed as 4th choice CB, AW clearly made a bit of a mistake in spending a small amount of money on an exp. CB for temporary cover (2 years or so?) Just to help cover while younger players like Bartley and Miquel improve and mature.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

No chance unfortunatly of that happenng as he just signed Seb Squilacci so he wont sell him and he seems to want to promote Miguel up to the first team

MiQuel. It's on the back of shirt.. I don't know how so many commentators get that wrong :/

Demand compensation from the Belgian FA... Even if it's a bit late.

Please God yes. I'm surprised they haven't tried to put Cow's womb on his achilles yet.
unlikely to get any unless their FA has insurance

mr wenger, 2 quality english centre backs plz maybe jagielka and cahill

From Arsenal.com.

“In fairness he has not played since September, I never expected him to be fit before the end of the season."

If you never expected him to play again this season, why did you not get a defender in January? Instead you kept saying, 'he will be back soon' to justify not buying someone. Not fkn impressed.

mr wenger, 2 quality english centre backs plz maybe jagielka and cahill

Sigh.

@Philly - Been talking about that for ages on Twitter. Think he uses the wrong words tbh & means that after his latest set-back, he never expected him to recover properly, but Idk.

In all honesty i never expected him to come back this season

one scary thought is when he returns will he still be the same TV5 We know and Love?

i hope so

im sorry but most of the country would of said that arsenal need some more defense cover and this just proves the point
maybe he should get a emergency defender aswell!

Nah, they'll be OK defensively. Don't ask me why I think that, I just believe that your current players will step up.

OH right. We get two LT injuries to our best 2 CBs, have the third best defensive record in the league, and yet we need to go out and but ANOTHER CB. 4 is enough: Vermaelen, Koscielny, Djourou, Squillaci/Bartley/Miquel - Are Utd going to buy another proven CB? Utd proved how much they miss their two best CBs against Liverpool - Except your cover is 18 YO Smalling (However good he has been, though poor vs Liverpool and gave away pen vs Chelsea shows a lack of exp. coming through IMO) and then Brown and O'Shea...

United have two quality (if inconsistent) young centre backs in Evans and Smalling, as well as the experienced cover of Brown and O'Shea. Arsenal need another centre back to at least push Squillaci for the fourth spot. Perhaps Miquel can be that player but I've not seen much of him at all. Song can also cover but it is a huge waste of his technical ability.

If I were a gooner, I'd want Wenger to bring in a big, strong centre back. Sakho would seem to fit the criteria nicely, but after spending £10m (?) on both Vermaelen and Koscielny in recent seasons, I can;t see this happening

You name 5 defenders united have who can play there, and still miss off Jonny Evans( who whilst hasnt had the best season, was very good last season and is still only 22) So you have named 4 expereince defenders in Brown, O'shea, Rio and Vidic. whilst we still have 2 very talented players coming through in Evans and Smalling( both better then Arsenals up and coming Centre Backs). So we have 6 to yours 4. So yes, you do need another one.

United have two quality (if inconsistent) young centre backs in Evans and Smalling, as well as the experienced cover of Brown and O'Shea. Arsenal need another centre back to at least push Squillaci for the fourth spot. Perhaps Miquel can be that player but I've not seen much of him at all. Song can also cover but it is a huge waste of his technical ability.

If I were a gooner, I'd want Wenger to bring in a big, strong centre back. Sakho would seem to fit the criteria nicely, but after spending £10m (?) on both Vermaelen and Koscielny in recent seasons, I can;t see this happening

then again, if song covers at cb, he could be like a pique. A cb with good technical ability.

There was pretty strong links between us and him in January as his contract was up next season and while he wanted to extend it, PSG were saying they couldn't afford the wages he wanted. Needless to say, he has now signed an extension.

Question to Arsenal fans (Joss) what do you reckon the chances are of Song playing at CB are? I figure with how he has played in the midfield, Wenger would want to keep him there, but I spose it's always a possibility.