Wenger named best manager of the decade

Wenger had an expensive side when he was winning things with Arsenal. He spent a lot of money, there's no denying it.

You can take my word for it or wait for me to dig up the facts tomorrow when I can be bothered.
I'm quite interested to know how he had an expensive side though, admitedly I wasn't too into football when we were winning things..

How many of those apps were coming off the bench though????

and but the difference is RVP 3m & DB 31m
and at least RVP tries for his team.

Look, thats Berba's style of play and obviously it works, Obviously it looks bad on him when he as player like Rooney, Nani, Hernandez and others running around the pitch, but it's not that he doesn't try.

And I'm not debating the prices, I'm just debating the ability & stats of the players.

---------- Post added at 04:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 AM ----------

What about Eric Djemba-Djemba, Quinton Fortune, Massimo Taibi, Roy Carroll, Gabriel Heinze, David Bellion, Guiseppe Rossi, Ricardo, Diego Forlan, Tomasz Kuszczak and Manucho. All relative flops but most expensive.

Look, I don't deny we have had some flops, but lets put it this way would you rather spend nothing and win nothing or spend and win..?

For me its the second.

Look, I don't deny we have had some flops, but lets put it this way would you rather spend nothing and win nothing or spend and win..?

For me its the second.

But that proves to me that Wenger is better with his money than Fergie, has a more youthful approach and plays better football therefore, IMO, a better manager.

I'm quite interested to know how he had an expensive side though, admitedly I wasn't too into football when we were winning things..

http://transferpriceindex.com/2010/11/arsenal-1992-2010-extract-from-pay-as-you-play/

managers.jpg

Kieron O’Connor (@SwissRamble)

Arsenal fan & Editor of The Swiss Ramble, a blog about the business of football

Arsène Wenger is arguably the best manager that Arsenal have ever had. He’s certainly the most successful in terms of trophies and is also the club’s longest-serving manager. However, his reign has been a little like the proverbial “game of two halves”, winning three Premier League titles and four FA Cups in his first nine years, followed by no silverware at all in the last five years.

It’s probably over-simplistic to say that this is due to changes in the club’s finances, but that has certainly played a part. For example, many fans might be surprised to hear that Arsenal’s first league win under Wenger was achieved with pretty much the league’s most expensive XI in current-day prices. Having said that, the legendary Invincibles, featuring the glorious talents of Thierry Henry, Patrick Vieira, Robert Pires and Dennis Bergkamp, should also be called the Incredibles, as they won the 2004 title with a team worth only 64% of that season’s most expensive £XI.

Since then, austerity has been the order of the day with Arsenal spending far less than other major clubs, having been hit with a double whammy. Externally, the transfer market was artificially inflated by the presence of extremely wealthy benefactors like Roman Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour, leading to the “financial doping” so despised by Wenger. This relative financial weakness was then compounded by the self-imposed constraints arising from the construction of the Emirates stadium.

Arsenal’s response has been to focus on younger players. In fact, there are two elements to the youth policy. The one that everyone understands is utilising the worldwide scouting network to buy young players from other clubs, develop them for a few years, hoping that they will ultimately become a fixture in the first team, but selling them for good money if they do not – the best examples being Cesc Fàbregas (whose value, in current terms, is £36m higher than the fee paid in 2003) and Nicolas Anelka (an amazing £53m CTPP profit).

The second strand is what might be described as the extreme youth policy, based on the successful approach that Barcelona, and Ajax in days gone by, have adopted. This is a long-term project, whereby the academy recruits young English talent and brings it through to the first team, Jack Wilshere being the obvious success story.

For Arsenal to spend so little in this period and yet still remain competitive, epitomised by qualifying for the Champions League a record 13 years in a row, all the time playing a dazzling brand of football unrecognisable from the days of “boring, boring” Arsenal, is a tremendous feat, which is why the vast majority of fans idolise Wenger: “In Arsène we trust”.

There is no doubt that he is an outstanding manager, though there is a feeling that he might need to modify his transfer policy and loosen the purse strings to ensure that his legacy is not tarnished. Either that, or UEFA’s Financial Fair Play Regulations will bring the other clubs’ way of thinking round to “The Professor’s”.

I also forgot about K.Toure who he bought for 150k and Adebayor for 5m

I will tell you most of it mate, he didnt spend a lot at all. So id ont kno where he got that from. Ready ...

GK: Seamen (Wenger did not buy)

DR: Lauren £7m
DC: Keown (Wenger did not buy)
DC: Campbell £0
DL: Dixon (Wenger did not buy)

MR: Lungberg 3m
MC: Viera 3m
MC: Petit 3m
ML: Pires 6m

FC: Bergkamp (Wenger did not buy)
FC: Henry 10m

Yh but how can they prove it if they don't get offered the chance. And yes I think Holloway has done amazing as Look at the squad he has got:

Varney - A derby reject
DJ Campbell - A leicester reject
Adam - A rangers Reject
and Blackpool were favourites to go down in the championship last season but Holloway managed to get them up and now lying in mid table.

And Hodgson yes he didnt do very well at Liverpool but look at the squad he inherited, except Torres, Reina and Gerrard Liverpool have got nothing, IMO they didn't give Roy enough time and the supporters never gave him the support from day 1.
How can you justify calling him one of the best managers in the world when he's done nothing to show that he is.
Maybe he is a world class manager, if he is then he'll keep blackpool up. He'll build on that success and he will get his chance. He'll take that chance and will one day be in one of these polls. Till then, he doesn't deserve to be even considered.

@Lee where it says £XI does that mean how much the 1st 11 cost?

Can u get the man Utd one up? and this chart doesn't mean the amount of money he has spent in each season, it represents the amount he has payed for his first 11 wheter they have been their 5 years or 1 year.

He has spent a fair bit of money, I just can't quite find the info I was after so posted that instead.

And wenger didn't become manager until 1996.

---------- Post added at 04:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 AM ----------

He has spent a fair bit of money, I just can't quite find the info I was after so posted that instead.

its no worry mate. |)