Wenger Pole-Axed By Szczesny

• Thread starter Thread starter Calum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 70
  • Views Views 6K

Calum

Reaction score
Highly-rated Polish keeper Wojciech Szczesny insists Arsenal will not win anything if Wenger selects older players.
He claims he deserves a chance ahead of blunder keepers Manuel Almunia and Lukasz Fabianski.
And the 20-year-old stopper believes other clubs would give him a chance at the highest level.
Wenger has kept 33-year-old Almunia in goal after failing to sign Fulham's Mark Schwarzer.
Then the Gunners chief ignored Szczesny for Tuesday's 4-1 win over Spurs and picked fellow Pole, 25-year-old Lucasz Fabianski, who delivered another dodgy display.
Szczesny, often named by Wenger as an eventual No 1, said: "I am ready to play at a high level and need a club which won't be afraid to rely on a 20-year-old goalkeeper.
"At Arsenal, nobody is brave enough to do so. It won't be difficult to find a new club but I am not allowed to speak to anyone.
"I know Arsenal are fighting for trophies but if you want to win anything you must play your best players - not the oldest ones.
"I am trying to fight for the No 1 shirt. I am not interested in being No 3 at any club.
"My contract's running until June.
"On January 1 I will be able to sign with any other club so I won't say now that I want to leave because I could fall into trouble.
"I'd love to play for Arsenal but am expecting more than a few words (from Wenger) at a Press conference that, one day Wojciech will be the No 1."
Wenger will be furious with Szczesny's comments and it is understood the Gunners chief has become frustrated with the youngster's attitude.
Szczesny impressed on loan at Brentford last season and wanted to be farmed out again this term.
He added: "I played a few friendlies in the summer and didn't fail. I had hopes before the season - that's why I didn't want to listen to offers.
"Now it's difficult because the season's started and everyone has a keeper.
"I had three meetings regarding extending my contract but the club seemed not to be interested.
"When I get the chance, I'll prove I should've got my chance earlier."
Meanwhile Wenger maintains he will continue in football as long as he retains his health.
Wenger, 61, recently penned a new deal to keep him at Emirates Stadium until 2014.
He said: "I'll coach for as long as I'm healthy.
"I'm planning to remain with Arsenal until the end of my new contract, but at my age I am forced to consider the short term.
"If I am still here it will not be because of a lack of offers but because I appreciate what I have been given. I am fortunate to work with complete freedom

I think Szczesny is half right

link to story:http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...er-Pole-axed-by-keeper-Wojciech-Szczesny.html

I thought when I read it szczensy had fly kicked arsne or something like that

Misleading title to say the least. I was hoping for a lot more :(

to be fair the the lad, he does deserve a chance. Fabianski is a shocker of a keeper IMO

Incorrect. Vito Mannone is better than Almunia and certainly twice Fabianski's abillity.

Vito Mannone really isn't great. After the Fulham game he was very suspect, and Almunia is far better.

i don't understand his comment '' if Arsenal want to win trophies they have to play the best players not the oldest'' well if you ask many people thats the reason why Arsenal haven't won anything in 6 years because they play too many youngsters. And i would have to agree with Alex Arsenal's standard of keepers is pretty poor. BRING BACK SEAMAN!!!

Almunia is the best goalkeeper at Arsenal but Wenger should give Szcesney more of a chance as he deserves it after a great loan spell at some top club in West London but I have forgetten their name :P. Surprised he didn't play against Spurs on tuesday, if he isn't given a fair crack, he deserves to be loaned out as the boy deserves first team football; he will be Arsenal's number one though in two/three years. "Poland's Number 1".

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

For all those that haven't seen Szcesney play before; the boy has talent :P.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brPWeQIc4Eo"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

Almunia is the best goalkeeper at Arsenal but Wenger should give Szcesney more of a chance as he deserves it after a great loan spell at some top club in West London but I have forgetten their name :P. Surprised he didn't play against Spurs on tuesday, if he isn't given a fair crack, he deserves to be loaned out as the boy deserves first team football; he will be Arsenal's number one though in two/three years. "Poland's Number 1".

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

For all those that haven't seen Szcesney play before; the boy has talent :P.
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

its one thing doing it at lower levels but the step up to the PremierLeague is massive. But its one of them things you wouldn't know until he is given a string of games.

Szczesny should be given some chance. Wenger seems to stick with Almunia and Fabianski, who are both terribly prone to errors.

Hopefully, now that Tottenham are out of the way, either Szczesny or Mannone should be given a look at in the next round of the League Cup.

Incorrect. Vito Mannone is better than Almunia and certainly twice Fabianski's abillity.

Thing is though, he's not. At least, as far as we know.. he had one superb game, and a couple of other decent ones to keep Almunia out of the side when he returned from injury but not for long, he wasn't given much of a chance though, he could well be better than Almunia, but in Manuel's defence, he's played well this season. (Touch wood)

I think Wolciech is being a ****, he's a 20 year old keeper ffs, ther's not a lot of teams that would play him at all, he's a good prospect, but keepers need experience a lot of the time and he simply doesn't have that. It would be OK if he was saying "I want to go on loan to get experience" but instead he's telling Wenger (of all people) how to do his job, which is ridiculous, and the wrong way to go about it.

Go on loan, play some football, then come back and we'll see if we haven't signed another keeper. He needs a chance to impress before Jan though, is the free/loan window still open?

EDIT:
Wenger - Szczesny does deserve his chance

Arsène Wenger agrees that Wojciech Szczesny deserves a chance to show what he can do - but he has reminded the Polish keeper that he has time on his side.

The 20-year-old earned rave reviews for his performances on loan at League One outfit Brentford last season and he featured for the Arsenal first team during pre-season.

However, Manuel Almunia has kept goal since the Premier League campaign got underway and Lukasz Fabianski got the nod for the midweek Carling Cup win at Tottenham.

Szczesny's frustrations were reported in the media and then repeated back to Wenger at his pre-match press conference on Thursday. The manager has said in the past that Szczesny "will one day be the Arsenal No 1" but he urged the keeper to be patient.

"He is right, he deserves a chance but the keeper is in front of him, Vito Mannone, deserves a chance as well," said Wenger.

"You can only play one goalkeeper. It's part of their job as a football player to live with competition and decisions.

"Impatience is a characteristic of youth. What they forget when they are 20 is that they can play until they are 40, whereas a normal player can only go to 32 or 34 if it all goes well. What they lose at the start they gain at the end of their career."

That said, Wenger is keen to keep Szczesny at Emirates Stadium.

"We will talk to him about a new deal. We rate him and we want to keep him," said the Frenchman.

"When you have educated a player like we have with Szczesny, who arrives at the age of 16, it is a long-term investment which costs a lot of money, so you want to keep the players."

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-szczesny-does-deserve-his-chance

Last edited:
Back