Wenger Pole-Axed By Szczesny

• Thread starter Thread starter Calum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 70
  • Views Views 6K
The point is that those psychological problems need fixing. Look at Bolton, they got absolutely hammered by Stoke and picked themselves up and played superbly against Bolton. Hence why the general consensus is that they need a leader/commanding CB/GK.

And its not like this is the only season its cost them either.

Liverpool are on the up, next season will be even fiercer, the current top sides all have several major flaws that they will look to address in summer, and Arsenal must address theirs or risk being left behind

I do sympathise with them losing Vermaelen for the whole season, it's like Chelsea losing Terry or United losing Vidic. But those teams both have multiple leaders on the pitch, you can't just rely on the one. United have Vidic, Ferdinand, VDS, Evra etc. just in defence that will get at the other players. And as Mike said, there's no organisation at set pieces. They need an Adams, Keown to bark orders out and get people in position. And it's not even like Wenger's being asked to spend big, you can't put a price on these sort of qualities. Maybe Wilshere will become it, who knows? But an experienced 'keeper can't hurt while that happens and gives chesney the time to develop, and someone to learn from.

happy to see it isn't just me that think Arsenal lack a leader.
That's why I was left slightly bewildered by Fabregas' comment's last week. When he said the team look up to him and Van Persie. If they look up to you, you need to address that and start getting serious with them. It's no good them looking to him for inspiration etc, when so many times he seems to crawl into a shell when things are going wrong. I don't just mean him either, the whole team do it. When someone does something wrong, they just seem to get on with it. They need someone to tell them that they've done something wrong and to not do it again.

And Mike, I get the feeling you're getting slightly worried by Liverpool?

That's why I was left slightly bewildered by Fabregas' comment's last week. When he said the team look up to him and Van Persie. If they look up to you, you need to address that and start getting serious with them. It's no good them looking to him for inspiration etc, when so many times he seems to crawl into a shell when things are going wrong. I don't just mean him either, the whole team do it. When someone does something wrong, they just seem to get on with it. They need someone to tell them that they've done something wrong and to not do it again.

He aint the only one!!! I must admit that i didnt think Dalglish was the long term solution but i think i may be wrong. He has bought well and with a couple more signings then there is no reason why Pool cant find themselfs back in the top4 and fighting for trophies as early as next season.

A quality keeper HAS to be priority for Arsenal this summer.

No need to buy an experienced centre half - Koscielny is a good player, Vermaelen is good too and Djourou has come on leaps and bounds this season as a player,hes had a great season. As mentioned before they need a keeper who can bark out orders in the box and get some organisation going. Don't really know whats gone wrong with Arsenal though, could and probs should have kept the pressure on United but alas they haven't. Clearly something more than just attention to detail on set pieces needs to be addressed, I just can't put my finger on what has gone wrong exactly!

I don't think they lack a leader as such - Fabregas is more than apt for the skippers role cos he can give the moments of inspiration that acaptain should provide to his team. He might not be that great at shouting out orders, I dont know, I dont know the bloke personally,but surely there are other areas of the pitch where players can do that themselves - such as the issue addressed above, the need for a quality keeper who can command his area.

There is no need to buy any CBs. If Vermaelen can stay fit, they have a great player there and a potential leader. Kos is young and will only learn from experience, as we all know Wenger rarely buys a player unless he knows he can get the best out of him. I think Arsenal just need to get that keeper who can organise their defence and be a bit more lucky with injures - i know its such a **** thing to say but it always seems to hammer them the most. Maybe a good striker to cover for VP when he inevitably spends half the season on the bench.

They could also use an experienced leader in midfield. Wilshere will eventually take that role, but for the time being it would help them to get someone with experience in that area.

They need a talker in the side. I was listening to a podcast last night and Darren Fletcher (the BBC 5live Commentator not Man Utd's Scottish midfieler) said he spoke to a Spurs player after their 3-3 draw with Arsenal the other night and this Spurs player said he has never known a side so quiet on the pitch.

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 PM ----------

I think they are being slated because of the way Wenger goes about his business mate. At the start of the season Wenger's targets would be to win things not come close again. Its also easy to see where the problems are at Arsenal but Wenger is being a stuborn old man. Like i say for most teams what they have achieved this season would be tollorared but this is Arsenal and 7 years without one single trophy is not good enough.

The way he goes about his business? He should be celebrated for it...he's being careful with his spending (unlike the other clubs in the world, who are engaging in unsustainable practices, not to mention will be punished by the FFP in the future), not constantly criticized. If I were a neutral, I would much rather criticize the club that spent 70 million when they had a drop in form that didn't win trophies as opposed to the club who didn't spend anything.

Anyway, few people thought Arsenal had a chance at winning things at the beginning of the season, they just aren't quite as good (or as deep) as ManU or Chelsea, and they missed a few extremely key players that couldn't be missed (their imposing CB leader for the whole season and their one scorer, not to mention their best player and captain had an off-season). So he shouldn't be criticized for no meeting these targets. His targets were to COMPETE in all of these competitions, which he did. Winning them would have been a big bonus, but it would have surprised a lot of people. And he could have won competitions had luck been on their side.

People keep on talking about this leader CB, but first of all, who is he? Can someone name a CB that would instantly become this leader? Arsenal already have one, it's TV5. He's their Vidic (though obviously not as good). They have another imposing CB in Djorou who has improved dramatically and is emerging as a great player. Kosc is getting better and is a good 3rd choice CB. And Squillaci was very disappointing and didn't adjust well but we all know he's good, tall, and experienced. Honestly Arsenal does not need another CB. And for all of those recommending that they get one, who do you recommend? I hear Samba and Cahill, but neither of those players is going to transfer Arsenal. And I don't think you can just show up and be a leader.

The point is that those psychological problems need fixing. Look at Bolton, they got absolutely hammered by Stoke and picked themselves up and played superbly against Bolton. Hence why the general consensus is that they need a leader/commanding CB/GK.

I don't think you can slam Arsenal for what happened. I agree things would have been better with better leadership, but come on, that was the roughest week in football any team has had that I can remember. Losing one competition they desperately needed (to stop the "no trophy" competition) against a weak opponent by a terrible mistake in the last minute is extremely tough. Then they lost another, and then another where they played well but couldn't finish in the final 3rd. The final two were very, very tough matches that I don't think we can blame them for losing. But the point is it is **** hard to recover from a week in football like that. I think that even a team with great leadership, like ManU, would have struggled a lot after that.

I've seen a bad week destroy a football team before. It happened in the Apertura 2008 to Independiente, my first season as a fan. We were beating Estudiantes comfortably in the Copa Sudamericana and fell asleep on a set-piece in the final minutes that tied the game. We then lost in a penalty shoot-out. A few days later, in the Superclasico against Racing, we were winning and they scored on a set-piece in the final minutes to tie it. It basically took everything out of that team, and several other last-minute goals cost us many points and it snowballed. We went from title challengers the previous season (and looking strong at the beginning) to being absolutely unable to win. I went to 7 league games during the Apertura and they never won any. They basically had to completely rebuild the team after that and most of the players were sold. In the Clausura, the effects still lingered and the team was very inconsistent, leading to the dismissal of the manager that replaced the one fired in the Apertura. After the Clausura the team was re-built by Americo Gallego and after a few games turned into a very strong team and a title challenger (another reason why he is one of the most underrated managers in football).

So yeah, I've seen it happen before, and I don't blame Arsenal. They are just really unlucky. Yeah they haven't won a trophy in 7 years, but the other clubs that have (other than ManU and Chelsea) are all worse than them and much less consistent. Arsenal is on a ten-year plan to create a great team while paying for a new stadium, and during this time they never fell out of the top 4 and competed in all competitions. That's fine, and the ones bothered the most by it are bandwagon fans and other Prem fans that love criticizing them. Honestly I think it has something to do with the fact that it's always been a team full of foreigners led by a French manager who is a purist and criticizes English route one football. I can't think of any other reason Arsenal and Arsene would be hated so much. Why not hate Chelsea, built by foreign money? Or Liverpool, England's second biggest (and formerly biggest) club? Or ManCity? Or Tottenham? None of those clubs generate nearly as much hate as Arsenal, even though Arsenal has tried to pay for their stadium the right way. People should be rooting for them, not constantly criticizing them and taking so much joy in their trophy drought.

Curtis 290 you dont half write essays when you post lol ;)

I dont seem them as title challengers yet, but i do see them as top 4 contenders. To dismiss them as a threat would be foolhardy.

szczesny is a better keeper and should be picked ahead of almunia and he is but i still thinkwe shud get a good keeper to allow szczesny to come thru (like given or schwarzer)

Back