Wenger still hopes to keep Nasri

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 69
  • Views Views 4K
He said they need a CM, not DM, which I would agree with. Song is good enough.

But they play with two DM's and one CM. Wilshere and Ramsey will rotate at the CM spot, leaving either Diaby or Frimpong to play beside Song. They need at least 4 viable DM's, and I'd hope that one would be better than those two. I don't think Diaby is good and Frimpong is very inexperienced.

?? Frimpong
African Nations Cup? And with only Frimpong being the backup what would you do if something unexpected happens? Suspension, injuries, lack of form etc.

African Nations Cup? And with only Frimpong being the backup what would you do if something unexpected happens? Suspension, injuries, lack of form etc.

we also have some other french DM who's name i cant spell :P

But they play with two DM's and one CM. Wilshere and Ramsey will rotate at the CM spot, leaving either Diaby or Frimpong to play beside Song. They need at least 4 viable DM's, and I'd hope that one would be better than those two. I don't think Diaby is good and Frimpong is very inexperienced.

I'm no expert on Arsenal, perhaps Joss will correct me, but given their first choice last season was Fabregas-Wilshere-Song, I only see one who would be recognised as a DM there.

The play with two CMs and a AM. Its a 4-2-3-1. They dont need two DM's at all. One CM is a destroyer, the other is a creator who can defend (Song + Wilshere, and Ramsey can do it now he is back)

I'm not entirely sure, but I think they play with Song as a CM, rather than having 2 DM's.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think they play with Song as a CM, rather than having 2 DM's.

You should go and read Arsenal Report more. ;)

It's a 4-2-3-1ish formation, with Song and Wilshere as the DMs, though they're both willing to cover for each other's runs up the pitch.

The play with two CMs and a AM. Its a 4-2-3-1. They dont need two DM's at all. One CM is a destroyer, the other is a creator who can defend (Song + Wilshere, and Ramsey can do it now he is back)

Correct, although I'd say it's two DM's and a CM, but I'll use your terms. Fabregas left so the AM will switch off between Wilshere and Ramsey. The fixture list will be so congested (and there will be injuries) that those two will take turns playing AM. I don't think you'll have the luxury of starting Wilshere as one of the CM's because you'll want Wilshere playing the AM role whenever Ramsey is resting, meaning you will have to rotate those two players at AM. That means the two CM's will be Song and either Frimpong or Diaby without another back-up. The first problem is that you need four players for these two positions for adequate cover. The other problem is it means that Frimpong or Diaby will usually be in your starting XI. I'd say go for a good, solid DM so that neither has to start. Frimpong would still get plenty of playing time, but not too much, and you wouldn't have to use Diaby too much.

I have a feeling though that Wenger will not buy any more players since he has two potential XI's and some leftover players. . The first (starting XI):

Van Persie
Gervinho Ramsey Walcott
Song Wilshere
Gibbs Vermaelen Koscielny Sagna
Szczesny

the second:

Chamakh
Arshavin Rosicky Oxlade-Chamberlin
Frimpong Diaby
Traore Squillaci Djorou Eboue (although he's going to Turkey apparently, so another RB, can't remember who they have)
Almunia

Extras: Vela, Lansbury, Fabianski. I'm assuming Bendtner is leaving.

That's 25 players and I think these will be the 25 in the squad.

The starting XI is pretty good but the back-ups are pretty weak. If Arsenal stays healthy they will definitely be a force to reckon with, maybe even title challengers. But if they have injuries (as they always do) they won't have the depth to compete with ManU or even the likes of City and Chelsea for fourth place. I think with Wenger's managerial abilities though they will fight through the injuries and squeeze out a 4th place. But Van Persie has to stay healthy and Chamakh has to have a solid season.

2 things. lolmunia will never play for us again, he is 4th choice behind fabianski and mannone

Jenkison is the backup rb

Correct, although I'd say it's two DM's and a CM, but I'll use your terms. Fabregas left so the AM will switch off between Wilshere and Ramsey. The fixture list will be so congested (and there will be injuries) that those two will take turns playing AM. I don't think you'll have the luxury of starting Wilshere as one of the CM's because you'll want Wilshere playing the AM role whenever Ramsey is resting, meaning you will have to rotate those two players at AM. That means the two CM's will be Song and either Frimpong or Diaby without another back-up. The first problem is that you need four players for these two positions for adequate cover. The other problem is it means that Frimpong or Diaby will usually be in your starting XI. I'd say go for a good, solid DM so that neither has to start. Frimpong would still get plenty of playing time, but not too much, and you wouldn't have to use Diaby too much.

I have a feeling though that Wenger will not buy any more players since he has two potential XI's and some leftover players. . The first (starting XI):

Van Persie
Gervinho Ramsey Walcott
Song Wilshere
Gibbs Vermaelen Koscielny Sagna
Szczesny

the second:

Chamakh
Arshavin Rosicky Oxlade-Chamberlin
Frimpong Diaby
Traore Squillaci Djorou Eboue (although he's going to Turkey apparently, so another RB, can't remember who they have)
Almunia

Extras: Vela, Lansbury, Fabianski. I'm assuming Bendtner is leaving.

That's 25 players and I think these will be the 25 in the squad.

The starting XI is pretty good but the back-ups are pretty weak. If Arsenal stays healthy they will definitely be a force to reckon with, maybe even title challengers. But if they have injuries (as they always do) they won't have the depth to compete with ManU or even the likes of City and Chelsea for fourth place. I think with Wenger's managerial abilities though they will fight through the injuries and squeeze out a 4th place. But Van Persie has to stay healthy and Chamakh has to have a solid season.

They dont start deep in front of the defence, so its certainly not two DMs. Thats also why he is chasing Mata (whether the deal can go on is another thing) Since he can play AML and AMC. Lansbury is set to join the first team too. I suspect Wenger will make two signings, a centreback and attacking mid/wideplayer

They dont start deep in front of the defence, so its certainly not two DMs. Thats also why he is chasing Mata (whether the deal can go on is another thing) Since he can play AML and AMC. Lansbury is set to join the first team too. I suspect Wenger will make two signings, a centreback and attacking mid/wideplayer

Wenger already came out and said they didn't need another CB because they already have 4. I can't remember where but I saw it in an article recently (although it may have been typical **** journalism so who knows). Wenger spent a lot on two CB's last year and he bought Vermaelen the year before. I don't see him buying another one since it means giving up on Squillaci, who he spent a lot of money on (and I believe has very high wages). He's a very good player and could rebound now that he's better adjusted to England. And as far as wingers go, first of all Mata deal is off and I don't know if he's looking at anyone else. If he goes out and buys another one than that means Gervinho sits on the bench. I don't see Wenger shelling out that much money for a bench player. And it means that OAC would get very little playing time, and I don't think Wenger would have spent that much money on someone right now if he didn't see him making a contribution this season. You could be right but it's not like this is the first time Wenger has come out and said he would sign players and then didn't. If he doesn't sign anyone else it really isn't the end of the world, if they're reasonably healthy they'll get a top 4 finish and do well in the other competitions. And then the next year this set of players would be even more experienced and probably good enough to mount a title challenge. Honestly if I were Wenger right now I probably wouldn't sign anyone. Then maybe next season pick up another attacking player since Rosicky will be too old. But he can finish in the top 4 like this and on no budget. And when these young players improve they will be unstoppable.

Last edited:
1928: Ahead of the game, by the way, Manchester City chief executive Gary Cook gave a revealing interview to BBC 5 Live's Ian Dennis . On Tevez, he said "He's still our player and I have not spoken to anybody about anything that would dispel that notion." Nasri is an Arsenal player and "we need to respect that", Cook added, while admitting City's spending is "not sustainable" but was needed to get the club into the Champions League. The season ahead? Cook says Mancini will "no doubt be trying to win every single one" of the four major competitions. Who said 'pressure cooker'?

Wenger already came out and said they didn't need another CB because they already have 4. I can't remember where but I saw it in an article recently (although it may have been typical **** journalism so who knows). Wenger spent a lot on two CB's last year and he bought Vermaelen the year before. I don't see him buying another one since it means giving up on Squillaci, who he spent a lot of money on (and I believe has very high wages). He's a very good player and could rebound now that he's better adjusted to England. And as far as wingers go, first of all Mata deal is off and I don't know if he's looking at anyone else. If he goes out and buys another one than that means Gervinho sits on the bench. I don't see Wenger shelling out that much money for a bench player. And it means that OAC would get very little playing time, and I don't think Wenger would have spent that much money on someone right now if he didn't see him making a contribution this season. You could be right but it's not like this is the first time Wenger has come out and said he would sign players and then didn't. If he doesn't sign anyone else it really isn't the end of the world, if they're reasonably healthy they'll get a top 4 finish and do well in the other competitions. And then the next year this set of players would be even more experienced and probably good enough to mount a title challenge. Honestly if I were Wenger right now I might just find a cheap young RB to replace Eboue and not sign anyone else. Then maybe next season pick up another attacking player since Rosicky will be too old. But he can finish in the top 4 like this and on no budget. And when these young players improve they will be unstoppable.

Arsenal are about to meet Evertons demands for Jagielka. AOC isnt ready he will get cup games and the like. If he doesnt sign anyone the they face a real threat for fourth.

The Mata deal is unknown for one thing, only paper calling it off is the Daily Mail, hardly reputable, and like SAF Wenger plays loose with the truth when he needs to. He is also watch Jadson and Costa. Pretty much every Gunner, and reptuable source expects 2 more signings if Wenger has his way

On the guardian somewhere. By about to, dont expect an immediate signing. Both Moyes and Wenger have suddenly gone quiet n this too. watch the next week

1928: Ahead of the game, by the way, Manchester City chief executive Gary Cook gave a revealing interview to BBC 5 Live's Ian Dennis . On Tevez, he said "He's still our player and I have not spoken to anybody about anything that would dispel that notion." Nasri is an Arsenal player and "we need to respect that", Cook added, while admitting City's spending is "not sustainable" but was needed to get the club into the Champions League. The season ahead? Cook says Mancini will "no doubt be trying to win every single one" of the four major competitions. Who said 'pressure cooker'?

I saw that too. Impressive, Barca. You've managed to have less class than MAN CITY.

Back