West Ham vs. Liverpool (27/2/2011)

Please take Young for a good price. I'm serious. He's no longer our best player, and has been steadily declining in effectiveness after his breakout debut season in 2007/08. Each year he's had less assists incrementally, but that only tells part of the story.

His increasing willingness to dive, decreased set-piece effectiveness and most importantly his insistence on being played in the centre have all contributed to the blunting of what used to be a razor sharp weapon, not to mention what was once his greatest threat, his crossing, being almost non-existent. We have better wingers than him at Villa alone, let alone clubs like United. Downing, for instance, I rate higher than Young. He may be slower, but he has better technique and much more polished passing, creativity and vision. For all his pace and incisiveness, Young just doesn't have the playmaker's touch. One only has to look at earlier this season, where he was ineffective behind the striker, and recently where he has improved but continues to overhit balls through to the frontman in order to see why he's really not doing as well.

That said, I'm glad he stayed. Let us do our business in the summer: we've been linked with some true european heavyweights, and Houllier is a transfer market wizard from what we've seen so far.

Please take Young for a good price. I'm serious. He's no longer our best player, and has been steadily declining in effectiveness after his breakout debut season in 2007/08. Each year he's had less assists incrementally, but that only tells part of the story.

His increasing willingness to dive, decreased set-piece effectiveness and most importantly his insistence on being played in the centre have all contributed to the blunting of what used to be a razor sharp weapon, not to mention what was once his greatest threat, his crossing, being almost non-existent. We have better wingers than him at Villa alone, let alone clubs like United. Downing, for instance, I rate higher than Young. He may be slower, but he has better technique and much more polished passing, creativity and vision. For all his pace and incisiveness, Young just doesn't have the playmaker's touch. One only has to look at earlier this season, where he was ineffective behind the striker, and recently where he has improved but continues to overhit balls through to the frontman in order to see why he's really not doing as well.

That said, I'm glad he stayed. Let us do our business in the summer: we've been linked with some true european heavyweights, and Houllier is a transfer market wizard from what we've seen so far.
i think it has a lot to do with not really wanting to be there, his england game was in sharp contrast to some villa performances

i think it has a lot to do with not really wanting to be there, his england game was in sharp contrast to some villa performances

Bollocks to that. That wouldn't explain why he's been like this for this season and last, would it? He's perfectly happy to stay for now, otherwise he would've handed in a request to leave or otherwise would've asked to leave, something which Ged would've accepted. His England game and yesterday notwithstanding, he's been awful in the hole all season. Maybe yesterday is a sign of things to come, and hopefully it is, but honestly I would not miss him if he left for a good fee.

unless tactical changes are needed, im pretty sure you will play a lopsided 4-4-2, certainly from next season you will

We are playing 5-3-2 now but with Kuyt playing in the role Carrol will fill. Need a way to fit in Gerrard, Meireles and Lucas which is 5-3-2 or 4-3-3. Also unless we sign another class defender to partner Agger I doubt its best to play 2 at the back with Carra being so slow. .

Also, am I the only one who thinks 'Pool might just play a 4-2-3-1 with Suarez on the left flank, Kuyt on the right and Gerrard in the middle behind Carroll? Lucas and Merieles as the DMs? Suarez played on the left flank a lot for Ajax (actually more or less every game) so it's not like its an alien experience to him.

If Young didnt want to be there he would have put in a transfer request because surely he knows there are, no offence intended bigger clubs who want him.

Also, am I the only one who thinks 'Pool might just play a 4-2-3-1 with Suarez on the left flank, Kuyt on the right and Gerrard in the middle behind Carroll? Lucas and Merieles as the DMs? Suarez played on the left flank a lot for Ajax (actually more or less every game) so it's not like its an alien experience to him.

Don't think so. Kenny knows that Meireles is much better offensively than defensively so putting him in the DM role you'd lose a lot of his game.

merieles can,so can lucas, but they will play 4-4-2 anyway once carroll is fit

It is better playing Meireles behind the striker then Steven, cause he proved that he can both make assists and score goals, and Steven is the best box to box in the team. Lucas is, lets say assistant and something like Mascherano was. He is somewhere in the middle there but he is not on that level.

Bollocks to that. That wouldn't explain why he's been like this for this season and last, would it? He's perfectly happy to stay for now, otherwise he would've handed in a request to leave or otherwise would've asked to leave, something which Ged would've accepted. His England game and yesterday notwithstanding, he's been awful in the hole all season. Maybe yesterday is a sign of things to come, and hopefully it is, but honestly I would not miss him if he left for a good fee.
from what ive seen his attitude towards the game has changed, which is why i wonder, we alread know that he wont sign an extension. it smacks a little of counting down the days

Reina
Kelly - Carra - Agger - New LB
Gerrard -------- Lucas--------------
-------- Meireles----------------------
------------ Suarez ------ New LW
-----------------Carroll-----------------​

Something like that, sorry about how messy it looks.

No defiantly think we will stay with the 5 at the back. Allows us to keep Carra in the side for a bit longer for his leadership etc. Also like that Meireles and Gerrard can get forward with Lucas sitting.

Kenny did say he picked this formation because it suits us at the moment so many he is planning changes.

4-4-2. Gerrard on the right(ish), Lucas and Meireles in the middle, a new left winger with Suarez and Carroll upfront. Of that I have no doubt.

Reina
Kelly - Carra - Agger - New LB
Gerrard -------- Lucas--------------
-------- Meireles----------------------
------------ Suarez ------ New LW
-----------------Carroll-----------------​

Something like that, sorry about how messy it looks.

I can't understand that much. Do you mean you will play Suarez as right winger, Meireles central midfield or atacking midfield and Gerrard and Lucas defensive midfield? Btw where is Johnson, or you think he is bad for the team?

Reina

New CB Carra Agger

Kelly/Johnson------------NEW LB

Gerrard Lucas

Meireles

Suarez Carroll​

I can't understand that much. Do you mean you will play Suarez as right winger, Meireles central midfield or atacking midfield and Gerrard and Lucas defensive midfield? Btw where is Johnson, or you think he is bad for the team?

No, Suarez just off Carroll. Meireles in central midfield, often breaking forward. Gerrard at right midfielder, often drifting inside and picking out passes and Lucas as an all-round midfielder. Johnson is absolutely woeful, will be very annoyed if we don't get rid in the summer.