What languages can you speak?

First of all I'd disagree, although English is currently the world's business language being multi-lingual is very practical in business. Not to mention Chinese will be more important than English soon. More importantly, there are other reasons to learn a language. Even though Spanish isn't "useful" for me in my career in any way, I'm very glad I'm more than proficient in it and can speak/write it very well. Understanding young people is really difficult though, and when they're talking amongst themselves I'm pretty lost. That I didn't do a better job learning it while I was in Argentina (I was a lazy stoner at the time) is one of my biggest regrets in life and is a reason I may return one day.

If you want to learn a language, that's cool, but as I said, there is no NEED for you to learn Spanish as you said yourself.

And just because China will become a bigger business nation doesn't mean Chinese will be the business language of the world.

If you want to learn a language, that's cool, but as I said, there is no NEED for you to learn Spanish as you said yourself.

And just because China will become a bigger business nation doesn't mean Chinese will be the business language of the world.

But again there are more reasons to learn a language other than need, and even if there weren't any, learning Chinese or another language would be very practical, in life and in a career.

Also, I bet a lot of the multi-lingual people in this thread don't 'need' their languages. English is a practical one but I bet many people here don't need it, and look at the many others people mentioned speaking.

Learning Chinese atm, notice how I didn't mention it because I'm not even basic at it yet!

Can barely read the basics, speaking isn't so bad.

Only English. Trying to learn Polish atm. =p

When there isn't a need to learn things, a lot of people generally do not make the attempt. Myself included.

Though that isn't the only reason, in schools in England there isn't much emphasis at all put on learning other languages, and you could probably get an A in French by throwing out a few correct sentences with the right syntax. The same can't be said about other countries, they are encouraged to learn English.

English, Hindi, Bengali, French (somewhat) and bits of Gujarati, Kiswahili, Marathi, Tulu, Kannada, Punjabi...

Now...How many of THOSE have you heard of? ;)

No Urdu?

First of all I'd disagree, although English is currently the world's business language being multi-lingual is very practical in business. Not to mention Chinese will be more important than English soon. More importantly, there are other reasons to learn a language. Even though Spanish isn't "useful" for me in my career in any way, I'm very glad I'm more than proficient in it and can speak/write it very well. Understanding young people is really difficult though, and when they're talking amongst themselves I'm pretty lost. That I didn't do a better job learning it while I was in Argentina (I was a lazy stoner at the time) is one of my biggest regrets in life and is a reason I may return one day.
Lol joke...

Curtis mate, he is a man who called his username Fish Hunter, don't expect to understand anything he says (get ready for some joke telling me how ironic this post is *sigh*)

I am currently learning Spanish but started so recently I barely know anything

Danish, English, German. A few sentences spanish and french as well.

English, and doing an A-Level in Spanish (followed by a degree of sorts with any luck)

A few haven't metntioned they speak ****, I thought a fair few would have had that as their native language....

Fluent in English and Welsh and have a GCSE and an A-Level in French. So kinda fluent en Francais, too.

1) English
2) Afrikaans
3) Xhosa
4) Zulu (semi)

then basic Italian, Dutch (as it is similar to Afrikaans)

Finnish, English, Swedish, German and Spanish

I don't really have any reason to speak any language other than English... Maybe that makes me ignorant.

I don't really have any reason to speak any language other than English... Maybe that makes me ignorant.

I wouldn't say so, if you're content with just knowing English and don't require the advantage of a foreign language for future employment then it's your choice, just makes you normal.

Surprised no one's said 'I am fluent in over 6 million forms of communication' yet.

English only for me, despite being half-Mexican and having done Spanish to GCSE, nearly 8 years ago now. Both that and whatever French I knew have pretty much gone, even before they did, when talking to my half-siblings (bilingual in French/Spanish all their lives) I tended to switch between the 2 depending on which language I best knew the words for. Do know a few random bits of Japanese from watching subbed shows, and am also pretty good at 'Swedish Chef' and 'The policeman from Allo Allo', which doesn't really count but isn't much stranger than a few things people have put on here.

My native is Spanish.

I can speak English, though my grammar needs some review. I'm not sure about my pronunciation, as it's 16 years now that I haven't had to speak a single word in English. listening to it depends on accents, i.e., I understand everything from "The man who shot Liberty Valance" but I barely get a few words in "The sting" (mainly those spoken by Redford or Newman).

I can understand Catalan easily.

I can understand somewhat of Italian and Portuguese due to similarities of sharing the Latin origin.

I studied a little French in school but very little, I may get a good amount of written French, but nothing more than that if I'm lucky with the text.

I'm studying German by my own. Read through a whole grammar book, it's easy, the tough part is getting to learn vocabulary.

And through anime in Japanese subbed English I'm getting some words and grammar rules, so a couple times I've looked about for pages about it to check the correction to what I think I'm getting. Looks pretty easy. And the pronunciation is very Spanish like. Listening to music by Yuki Kajiura (See-Saw, FictionJunction, Kalafina) I think I get more than 90% of pronunciation, though right now only a few isolated words (more with time) and just one or two phrases.