What to do if you just can't win

I know all the SI people say it isn't scripted but I just thought this was a bit of a coincidence.

I am down to only two centre backs at the club and I play a match. Within 20 minutes both centre halves are injured and I have to play two defensive midfielders there

Similar stuff has happened to me but I'm not sure I'd put it down to scripting. If you were down to 2 defenders I'm guessing you had to play them in a lot of matches in a row and they were not fully fit due to this?

Similar stuff has happened to me but I'm not sure I'd put it down to scripting. If you were down to 2 defenders I'm guessing you had to play them in a lot of matches in a row and they were not fully fit due to this?

One of them was 96% fitness and the other was 97 I think

I seriously need some help with this game.

Having just finished my degree I finally got back to FM for the first time since 2010. Clearly a lot has changed since then!

I started my first save with Arsenal and I'm about to give up after about 30 games.

Things were going okay to begin with but have since gone horribly wrong. We have scored 1 goal in the last 6 matches, despite playing on attacking and even overloading attacking mentalities (against weaker teams). I've rotated my strikers slightly (Giroud, Jovetic, Podolski) yet none can score to save their lives.

I've constantly tweaked tactics, tried to target opponents weaknesses, kept my team's morale fairly good (considering our awful form), played mind games with other managers. Tried new tactics. My tactical familiarity levels are Fluid on everything (including back up tactics). I've changed my training focuses to attacking but thats made no difference either. Made sure every player is training in their selected and suited positions. Made sure everyone suits their roles.

My last two games were 3-0 and 6-0 defeats to Southampton and Reading, and somehow in those games we've had more possession, more shots and my defenders even got ratings of 7.5+ !!!

The game is not making any sense to me what so ever. I'm completely up for putting in the time to scout up coming opponents and tweak my tactics to suite each individual match but some of the results just seem completely ridiculous. Numerous games I've been 2/3-0 down after 20 minutes against teams with no obvious threat what so ever.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing so horribly wrong?!

What kinds of goals are you conceding? What kinds of shots are you taking?

i find booting my pc, storming downstairs and booting a wall, then coming back upstairs, restarting my pc and play the game again helps.

I seriously need some help with this game.

Having just finished my degree I finally got back to FM for the first time since 2010. Clearly a lot has changed since then!

I started my first save with Arsenal and I'm about to give up after about 30 games.

Things were going okay to begin with but have since gone horribly wrong. We have scored 1 goal in the last 6 matches, despite playing on attacking and even overloading attacking mentalities (against weaker teams). I've rotated my strikers slightly (Giroud, Jovetic, Podolski) yet none can score to save their lives.

I've constantly tweaked tactics, tried to target opponents weaknesses, kept my team's morale fairly good (considering our awful form), played mind games with other managers. Tried new tactics. My tactical familiarity levels are Fluid on everything (including back up tactics). I've changed my training focuses to attacking but thats made no difference either. Made sure every player is training in their selected and suited positions. Made sure everyone suits their roles.

My last two games were 3-0 and 6-0 defeats to Southampton and Reading, and somehow in those games we've had more possession, more shots and my defenders even got ratings of 7.5+ !!!

The game is not making any sense to me what so ever. I'm completely up for putting in the time to scout up coming opponents and tweak my tactics to suite each individual match but some of the results just seem completely ridiculous. Numerous games I've been 2/3-0 down after 20 minutes against teams with no obvious threat what so ever.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing so horribly wrong?!

I am having exactly the same issues as yourself.
FA cup fourth round Vs Burnley, I have no game after this for 6 days so can play quite a strong squad.
Lewandowski, lennon, de jong, bale, sandro, parker, alex sandro, kaboul, vertonghen, walker, friedel

Scouted their team, very weak fullbacks (compared to my players), physically weaker and slower, their moral is on the floor while my players are all green and some with superb moral.
We are going into this game 4 days after north London derby win against Arsenal (2-0)h

We got beat up, Burnley (it seems) played us off the park.
BUT...my fullbacks just walked EVERYWHERE and did nothing when being closed down, they had support players to pass to and didn't. My two rocks in centre midfield where useless caught in possession time and time again (OFF LOAD THE FKIN BALL FFS!).
We seemed to love getting to the eighteen yard box and then passing it back bit by glorious bit until my keeper has the ball again!!.
Lewandowski had superb chance, open goal with clear sight 8-10 yards out....and he turns 180 degree's lays it off to walker some 5-10 yards OUTSIDE the eighteen yard box who then shoots and misses by a fkin mile.

I love Football, I hate Football manager 2013 WITH A F****** PASSION

(Burnley won 1-0) :S

Last edited:
I am having exactly the same issues as yourself.
FA cup fourth round Vs Burnley, I have no game after this for 6 days so can play quite a strong squad.
Lewandowski, lennon, de jong, bale, sandro, parker, alex sandro, kaboul, vertonghen, walker, friedel

Scouted their team, very weak fullbacks (compared to my players), physically weaker and slower, their moral is on the floor while my players are all green and some with superb moral.
We are going into this game 4 days after north London derby win against Arsenal (2-0)h

We got beat up, Burnley (it seems) played us off the park.
BUT...my fullbacks just walked EVERYWHERE and did nothing when being closed down, they had support players to pass to and didn't. My two rocks in centre midfield where useless caught in possession time and time again (OFF LOAD THE FKIN BALL FFS!).
We seemed to love getting to the eighteen yard box and then passing it back bit by glorious bit until my keeper has the ball again!!.
Lewandowski had superb chance, open goal with clear sight 8-10 yards out....and he turns 180 degree's lays it off to walker some 5-10 yards OUTSIDE the eighteen yard box who then shoots and misses by a fkin mile.

I love Football, I hate Football manager 2013 WITH A F****** PASSION

(Burnley won 1-0) :S

Yeah this kind of stuff happens.Usually if i lose in a stupid way like i have 10 shots from good places but no goals and the opponent wins with one shot from far away i reload.Luckily that does not happen many times :S

Wew Jake . This is what we called the true passion .

Come to think of it . It's true that some small-rate teams will adapt to our tactics and they even can beat us with 3 nill or bigger .

Sometimes , you just cant agree with the game and press forward or continue all the time .
You need to work your ***** to get some big result .

Thanks Jake

I Wasn't really making use of this part of fm but I thought I would try and change and find teams weak areas and dominate in that kinda way so I started a game with spurs Beat Kilmarnock 8-1 and United 4-1 And In FA Cup Wigan 6-2 Brilliant success mate thanks for telling about this part of the game ;)

I agree, the AI in FM13 learns much faster. My advice is to make use of all three tactics you develop.

It is not necessary that all three tactics be massively different from one another, just tweak your ideal tactic and mentality to suit a stronger or weaker opponent for the other two.

I am not saying I do not get beaten by the supreme underdog from time to time, but that is just football and the giant killer unpredictability.

I agree, the AI in FM13 learns much faster. My advice is to make use of all three tactics you develop.

It is not necessary that all three tactics be massively different from one another, just tweak your ideal tactic and mentality to suit a stronger or weaker opponent for the other two.

I am not saying I do not get beaten by the supreme underdog from time to time, but that is just football and the giant killer unpredictability.

You, I am afraid, are shutting the stable door before the horse has bolted there. You are telling some of us things before you have even told us how to do it. I have absolutely no idea how each set-up impacts on how the team plays. I do not know the difference between rigid, balanced and fluid. I don't know the different between contain, overload, defensive, etcetera. I don't know enough about what impact it has on the team to 'cross to near post' or to 'mark tall man' and the like.

If anyone can help that would be great.

You, I am afraid, are shutting the stable door before the horse has bolted there. You are telling some of us things before you have even told us how to do it. I have absolutely no idea how each set-up impacts on how the team plays. I do not know the difference between rigid, balanced and fluid. I don't know the different between contain, overload, defensive, etcetera. I don't know enough about what impact it has on the team to 'cross to near post' or to 'mark tall man' and the like.

I recommend that you download a pdf called 'Tactical Theorems and Frameworks 10'.

The best way is to just have a look at the decription of the different philosophy's, strategies and roles.

"What to do if you just can't win?"

Admit that you're rubbish at the game and stop playing to save yourself the constant disappointment everytime you open the game. No matter how many logical changes you think you are making will have no effect (me). Better off playing something you're good at and get enjoyment from.

I do think that this game does not help the player at all. Hints are pretty much pointless. There needs to be a dedicated part of the game which can actually guide the player in all situation if they want to seek help.

I think I'm done with the series. FM12 I had some moderate successes. FM13 all I've had is promotion and problems. I'm guessing FM14 will be similar to 13 so I don't stand a chance with game in the future.

Thank you SI (banned from the official forums) for the enjoyment I had with FM09-FM12, but the journey ends here.

Well, overall i have to admit the AI has improved alot from the previous FM's. Which comes to a good thing to keep on your toes and the challenging points. (Until some point it just seems your team comes to a total steam roll and nothing stands in your path)
It would be great if the AI can continuously improve and become really challenging (ofcourse, lets not make it exponentially unbelievable 8-| )
Although, I just can't help finding it hard to accept there out of 10-15 games, there still comes a moment where the DC just lovesssssss to fumble horrifically. They either "aimed" to pass to another DC or keeper knowingly the opponent ST is just next to them. If lucky the wonderful keeper saves the "gifted" one on one, but most of the time that doesn't happen. I really hate this point only. (For benefit of the doubt, I have Pique & Kompany & a very awesome regen for DC)

"What to do if you just can't win?"

Admit that you're rubbish at the game and stop playing

No never!!
Instead I come here, ***** and moan about the AI, get laughed at and mocked by the mods, shout at some random objects around my home, kick the cat, go back online and read guides, look for tactical forums, read more guides, download tactics just to look under the hood and see whats makes them tic, try to work out why they wont work on my team, make notes, look at por.... ahemm! look at other stuff, physically draw tactics, sit in chair not moving a muscle for a couple of hours deep in deep deep thought, come up with another plan, build it, WIN.

AI = ARTIFICIAL intelligence. Can the AI do that^^^

Last edited:
Excellent post, and this has really helped me with my Reading save. I bought in a tactic which got the best out of all of the best players and got a good balance between attack and defence. The season started well, getting 5 points in my first 3 games (this is good for a team predicted to finish 20th) but then all of a sudden I lost 3-0 three times in a row.

Since reading this, I've added a few different tactics to shake things up a bit and the results aren't fantastic yet but there is a slow and gradual improvement. Thanks!

Scripting does your head in though. I realize the computer AI has to cheat to pose a 'superficial challenge' for the human but it can get to the stage where some matches will border on predetermination, i.e, you're a vastly superior team & on a roll but you perform an experiment & find out that it takes about 10 to 15 reloads to beat this rubbish team.

Another thing that bores me is that the engine slowly but surely favours you overtime.